Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st December 2006, 05:01   #16
BHPian

moral, i face the same thing. today i took it too fortune he said its fine no t to worry. although it has never crossed 50 % mark
Old 4th June 2008, 16:32   #17
Senior - BHPian

my GTX has the same problem - i have gone through this thread so many times but still i am worried.

Without AC: the temp needle sometimes crosses the 50% mark(half way mark) in stop n go traffic / slow driving. the fan doesnt switch on at times (i feel so). but if i switch on the AC for 3-4 seconds, the fan switches on and the temp needle goes down to 50% of the half way mark. any solution to this? - the service record showed that the radiator was replaced in Jun'07. the coolant level is at MAX.

With AC: the temp needle never crosses the half way mark and always remains at 50% of the half way mark. BUT (i have faced this once only) the engine seemed to be rough which can be felt through the steering wheel (during daytime) - after i have switched off the AC the fan remained on for more than 15mins (and the temp needle droped down further < 50% of half way mark) - i usually switch off the car only after the fan stops but at times it gets really irritating.

at all times the idle RPM remains at 800-850 (w/o ac) and 900 (with AC)

looking forward to hear from you guys.

Last edited by planet_rocker : 4th June 2008 at 16:36.
Old 4th June 2008, 17:41   #18
BHPian

Palio 1.6 My observation

With AC on - the Temp gauge is at 1/4 position.

With AC off - it reaches half way.

May guess was the cooling fan kicks in early when u start the AC. In non-AC mode it takes time to kick in.

Certainly it has never crossed the halfway mark.
Old 4th June 2008, 18:21   #19
BHPian

Moral, I too have the same problem, when AC is switched off, the temp guage reached upto 55-60% and comes down to 40% when AC is for city driving. On highway, it is at 1/4 position constantly all the time. Is this expected behavior?

I happened to check this with Hariprasad Automobiles in Bangalore, he says not to worry about it as it is normal to go slightly above the half-way mark during city driving conditions
Old 4th June 2008, 18:46   #20
Senior - BHPian

without the a/c the 2nd stage cooling fan does not come on. this usually comes on when the temp is near the halfway mark and the car is moving slowly. if the A/C is off- and the car is moving fsat - it stays just above/at the 1/4 mark.
1.6 run at high temps (my understanding) and this operating temperature is normal.
Only once i have observed that the temp guage gone to the 3/4th mark when i have completed a session on the track - and inadvertedly turned off the engine. however, at a steady speed post that incident- the temp came back to normal.
Old 4th June 2008, 19:03   #21
Senior - BHPian

for me it stays at middle mark always with AC ..... without AC it just cross the middle mark in heavy traffic and on highway in the middle .....

even in the track day it never crossed the middle mark without AC......but if you switch off the engine and start it again it goes 3/4 mark for few seconds, i guess that has to do with the placement of the sensor
Old 14th October 2008, 14:42   #22
Senior - BHPian

Moral thanks for letting me know of this thread..

This Saturday was in home town and since i had issue with the coolant leaking from the radiator cap took it to "Automatrix" so the mech suspects that its because of over heating but the issue was that the cap was loose!

This guy to check the heating issue revs the car for a min when it was stand still... so the gauge came close to half seeing that he said that their seems to be a problem we need to check and shut the engine....within a min i could see the needle going up till 70% i was scared...when i again told this guy about it he scared me even more by telling that to leave the car and not to start the car and all...

But i choose to drive the car in mins i could see the needle coming down, when i came across very slow moving traffic again the temp went upto 70-80% but the moment got the open road it was back in 40%....noticed that the drop is very fast..

Reading the experiences here i feel this is normal??
Old 27th November 2009, 16:40   #23
BHPian

Reviving an old thread, but I guess it is better than starting a new one unnecessarily.

I have a 2002 1.6 GTX (not Sport), and have been using it regularly for 7 years. I am aware that when cruising in not-so-hot temperatures, or when the A/C (and consequently the radiator fan) is on, the car maintains a pretty low coolant temperature. But recently, I got the radiator replaced with an aftermarket one since the OEM Valeo radiator was not available anywhere in Delhi.

Now, when cruising at around 70 kph (without A/C) in ambient temperatures of about 15 degrees C, my temperature guage shows a reading even lower than with the old OEM radiator. So low, in fact, that I have begun to wonder if there is something wrong with the coolant thermostat valve (and has been wrong with the thermostat valve for all these years). Request your advice.

Image 1: Coolant temperature while cruising (no A/C, radiator fan off)
Image 2: Coolant temperature in crawling traffic under the same conditions (just before the fan comes on at low speed

Even when the coolant temperature reads low, the RPM does settle down to normal tickover, and the heater also seems to work fine. Do I need to get the thermostat valve examined?

Responses from people whose 1.6 Palios are equipped with the Valeo cooling system would be specially helpful.
Attached Thumbnails
Palio 1.6 Sport Temperature doubt-11252009.jpg  

Palio 1.6 Sport Temperature doubt-11262009.jpg  

Last edited by vipul_singh : 27th November 2009 at 16:43.
vipul_singh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2009, 16:53   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by airfoil View Post
There may be a problem with the sensor.
I dont think there is any problem with the sensor. When you stop your car for few minutes after a hard run, next time when you turn on ignition, the temerature guage will easily go up the half way mark, sometimes to 75% or so, but it will reduce to normal very fast.

Solution: While engine running, Just turn on your fan (interior fan) at full speed and turn the temperature guage to maximum (red position) and let the hot air blow inside the cabin for a minute or two - it takes the heat from the coolant and you can literally see the temp. guage needle going down. Next time when you start the engine after a short break, you wont see the needle touching a high value.

Last edited by clevermax : 27th November 2009 at 16:56.
Old 27th November 2009, 18:53   #25
Senior - BHPian

linking another thread: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...-issues-2.html

continuing the discussion from the above thread:

Quote:
... posted by Vipul Singh

The relay should cost you around Rs 300 - 400, as far as I remember. Certainly under 4 figures.

There are at least two ways of checking if both speeds are working:

1) During the day, start your car and rev it lightly for about 5 mins, keeping the bonnet open. If the relay is working correctly, the fan would start in slow mode before the fast mode kicks in

2) Start the engine, keep the bonnet open and start the A/C. THe fan would start within about 10 seconds - first in slow mode and then in fast (fast mode is when the fan starts to sound like a hurricane!). If it goes to fast mode directly, the relay is most probably not working.

I have posted the images of my Palio's temp gauge in this thread (post # 23):

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ure-doubt.html (Palio 1.6 Sport Temperature doubt)

Please look at image #2. That is the max I have ever seen it go in the past 7 years (expect when the fan relay was busted). Request your response on my query, too, if possible.
@ Vipul

Pic 1 - No not that low in my car - will take a pic tonight if possible an upload.

Pic 2 - Well in stop-go traffic - that is where it stays - but fan comes on when it is at half way mark (in my GTX)

Last edited by planet_rocker : 27th November 2009 at 18:56.
Old 27th November 2009, 19:04   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post

Edit: My previous cars always showed the needle at 1/4th mark at optimum temp. this is my first car to point the needle halfway.
My Punto needle is at the halfway mark.Takes about 10-15 mins after startup to reach the halfway mark. The manual also says that this is the behaviour.
Old 28th November 2009, 12:33   #27
Senior - BHPian

My Palio 1.6 GTX

Outside temperature at around 15 degC Kolkata.

Pic 1 - while idling in stop-go traffic
Palio 1.6 Sport Temperature doubt-photo0025.jpg

Pic 2 - fan comes on
Palio 1.6 Sport Temperature doubt-photo0026.jpg

what do you think?

Yet to test the needle position while cruising at amoderate speed. will update soon.
Old 28th November 2009, 15:13   #28
BHPian

My Pailo 1.6 Sport too has needle almost always at half-way mark and I always take it as Normal. I would admit I had some concerns initially becoz most cars would have needle slanting towards 'C' (Cooler) side but the grew on to accept my car's behaviour.
Old 28th November 2009, 19:36   #29
Senior - BHPian

As long as your temp. guage hovers around the half way mark, and your radiator cooling fan is okay, there is no need to worry. You can test the cooling fan for all operating speeds when you connect it to the ECU analyzer next time when you give the car for service.
Old 30th November 2009, 11:14   #30
Senior - BHPian

well coolant flow is there in the overflow tank - radiator fan is working at both speeds (low and high) - but the gauge is playing games. Irritating isn't it!

None of the FIAT a.s.s. has access to a Analyser in Kolkata (except Lexas Motors - Tata-Fiat).

By the way, which other S.Cs use the same analyser??

Last edited by planet_rocker : 30th November 2009 at 11:15.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks