Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th May 2022, 11:01   #541
Team-BHP Support

Re: ECU Remaps : About Tools, Software & Tuners!

After getting used to driving M5, I am having troubles with my 2016/17 -740i with a B58 engine

I asked fellow members iliketurtles and dealer about BM3 and they replied in very detail. Thought of sharing their views here for the benefit of others and also to get an answer to some of my further queries. Many thanks to both for taking out time and answering.

On further pondering, I feel, the major drawback on the 740i is currently the lazy transmission (relatively) Am sure, it's far more aggressively done on some of the other models like M340i, so I want to first do a change to the transmission and then play with the engine. What will be recommendations?

Member - iliketurtles

Hiya Turbanator.

I’d definitely recommend going for it for the flexibility it offers. You can do it entirely yourself (purchase and flashing). If a dumbass like me can do it, anyone can.

I paid about $500 USD for it (in a Black Friday sale) for the bundle that includes all the maps they have on offer. That’s the route I’d recommend you take.

I initially ran a Stage 1 91 octane tune on my 328i until I got the downpipe and exhaust done, at which point I switched to the Stage 2 93 octane tune. I even tweaked things to my taste, going for the more aggressive variant of their 93 octane tune, and adjusting the burbles to my taste.

The bundle also includes a transmission tune, but I think XHP’s TCU tune would be better, this one only removes torque limiters and is really felt in sports mode.

Flashing it is easy, and doesn’t take more than 2-3 minutes once you’ve established the connection via ENET or Bluetooth.

Go for the Bootmod3 tune if
You’re looking to change the state of tune in the future (fixed cost)
Want some adjustability in terms of how it runs/sounds

Go for someone else (e.g.: Quantum) if
You want the sales support. If you reach out to Boomod3 for support, you will need to log the car’s data for then to help you
If you want a less DIY experience

The downside is cost when going with a local tuner. A stage 2 will cost extra if done separately, and so will the TCU tune.

Hope that helps!

One plus I forgot; you can port your license for it to another car too, say an M3, at no cost. Or you can even sell the license off to someone and still get about 350-400 USD for it. That’s a nice plus IMO.

Member - dealer

Hey Turbanator!

My response to your question can be broken into two parts :

1. Do I recommend bootmod3 as a tuning platform/tune for the B58?
A BIG BIG YES!
The OTS tunes are extremely powerful and smooth. The platform has amazing potential and you can make changes/move up in the mod tree whenever you feel like at no extra cost. Just make sure to only use 99/100 octane fuel since the B48/B58 gen 1 engines were both 11:1 high compression engines.

2. Should you get it?
Depends on how you answer the following questions -

a)How much time do you have to dedicate?

An ots tune does require you to perform datalogs (Wide open throttle run - 3rd gear, 2k to 7k rpm) when you first install the tune to make sure that the tune is performing optimally and is well suited for your fuel. You may need to do this on different octane maps (ACN91,91,93) to see which one is performing the best. Depending on the road conditions around you, this may require a certain bit of time during the first week but I consider this step a must to do for reliability reasons.

b)Do you like to involve yourself in the tuning experience?

When I chose bootmod3 over a custom tune from a tuner like gttunerz or Harmonixx Tuning for example, I understood that I would have a much more involving experience in terms of learning and extracting all the features of the bm3 platform. I thoroughly enjoyed this process but some people might just not prefer to have any extra features like (burble adjustment, map switching etc.) all of which encourage tinkering. Some prefer a set it and forget it kind of tuning process and I'm sure that's possible with bm3 but it's really hard to do when you have so many features at your disposal.
Turbanator is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th May 2022, 08:17   #542
ais
BHPian

Has anyone tried the Wolf Moto Multi Switch remap? I'm looking to remap my new Polo TSI MT.
Old 27th May 2022, 09:30   #543
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ais View Post
Has anyone tried the Wolf Moto Multi Switch remap? I'm looking to remap my new Polo TSI MT.
I think the switchable maps are only available for Fiat (Linea /Punto / UC) cars as far as I know. Not sure if Wolf has come up with switchable maps for the Polo.
Old 27th May 2022, 13:05   #544
ais
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
I think the switchable maps are only available for Fiat (Linea /Punto / UC) cars as far as I know. Not sure if Wolf has come up with switchable maps for the Polo.
I just spoke with Joe from Wolf. They have a switchable remap for Polo TSI, but since each cars ECU is coded differently, they will have to check the ECU of my car on next visit to Mumbai to ascertain. If its possible, I'll most likely go for it.
ais is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2022, 19:29   #545
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Naren View Post
It could be hardware issue too. At times, post remap the previously unknown issue becomes evident. I suggest you to get in touch with Akshay, GT Tunerz Delhi. I believe Hyderabad quantum dealer is his sub dealer.
Dr. Naren, need your experience and opinion on ecu remap of my W204 C 220 CDI. Which tuner do you recommend? Petes has offered stage 1 tune for same but i dont see many references. They are the best with VAG cars and i have experience with my jetta and GT TSI. For merc, very little information is available. Quantum tuning has a youtube video for W204 C class but not sure about their reliability and aftersales in India.
Old 8th June 2022, 16:47   #546
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mission_PGPX View Post
Quantum tuning has a Youtube video for W204 C class but not sure about their reliability and aftersales in India.
Quantum should be decent. You can also consider Wolf Moto, Tune-O-Tronics, and Harmonnix tuning.
Old 14th June 2022, 10:03   #547

Re: My Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSI | Upgraded turbo, intercooler, suspension, brakes & more

Hey, is it true that etuners is bad for the dq200?
Old 14th June 2022, 18:51   #548
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: My Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSI | Upgraded turbo, intercooler, suspension, brakes & more

Quote:
Originally Posted by rishabhsharma View Post
Hey, is it true that etuners is bad for the dq200?
No Idea. DQ200 is unreliable transmission and many failures are reported even in stock cars.
Dr.Naren is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2022, 18:03   #549
BHPian

Did anyone try remapping the Jeep petrol 1.4 turbo petrol automatic? It’s horribly sluggish. I called up code6 and they asked for Rs.36k for a stage 1 remap (this includes an air filter as well for 8k). Just wanted to check if it’s safe to proceed or live with the Jeep lag anyway.
Old 12th July 2022, 01:10   #550
Sen
BHPian

Hi Dr. Naren, if I was in the market to get a remap, and had zeroed in on Etuners Bangalore and Wolf Moto (Engineering Exponents), which would your pick be for a Vento 1.0 TSI MT?

Why would you pick one over the other? Anything to consider in terms of driving style or anything else?
Old 12th July 2022, 10:20   #551
BHPian

Has anyone done a remap of Mahindra XUV300?

I spoke to Jayant from Engineering Exponent and he mentioned that Wolf Moto Kochi has done a remap and that XUV300 is a car with high tuning potential (I wouldn't be surprised with that statement ).

However, he did mention that they haven't done any remap for XUV300 and in the Wolf Moto website, XUV300 isn't listed under the "Wolfable Cars".

I'm not keen on getting this done immediately but something that I'd love to explore in the future. Jayant also mentioned that a Stage 1 remap should go undetected at service centers and that it shouldn't void warranty.

Any inputs on this is appreciated!
Old 12th July 2022, 12:53   #552
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sen View Post
Hi Dr. Naren, if I was in the market to get a remap, and had zeroed in on Etuners Bangalore and Wolf Moto (Engineering Exponents), which would your pick be for a Vento 1.0 TSI MT?

Why would you pick one over the other? Anything to consider in terms of driving style or anything else?
I would recommend Wolf Moto. Wolf is the only tuner in world to develop switchable remaps on stock ECU in 1.0 TSI. They have done it in Polo 1.0 TSI, do check with them regarding Vento.

Quote:
Originally Posted by krishnakumar View Post
I spoke to Jayant from Engineering Exponent and he mentioned that Wolf Moto Kochi has done a remap and that XUV300 is a car with high tuning potential (I wouldn't be surprised with that statement ).

However, he did mention that they haven't done any remap for XUV300 and in the Wolf Moto website, XUV300 isn't listed under the "Wolfable Cars".
If Wolf Kochi has already done a remap, it should be possible. Wolf has different dealers but all the tuning is done by Mr. Rajiv from Kochi.
Dr.Naren is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2022, 15:36   #553
BANNED

Hi DR Naren,
Noob Question: I own a 2007 SX4, so can I increase the mileage after the ECU Revamp?
What is the cost of a complete ECU revamp?
Old 12th July 2022, 16:01   #554
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piyush Kanthak View Post
Hi DR Naren,
Noob Question: I own a 2007 SX4, so can I increase the mileage after the ECU Revamp?
What is the cost of a complete ECU revamp?
It should be possible to remap the petrol SX4. But I don't think many tuners would do it. Check with Wolf Moto or Quantum tuning.
Old 20th July 2022, 00:07   #555

ECU remaps for the octavia 1.8 tsi

hello everyone, I'm planning on getting a remap for my octavia 1.8 tsi. According to my research TVS is best for the TCU but I'm really confused for the ECU remap. Revo is something one can never go wrong with. But i want something. Since this car is not my daily i'm looking for something a bit more agressive. I have shortlisted E tuners anf TVS. Considering the fact that I will be getting an is20 upgrade also. which map should i go for ?
rishabhsharma is offline   Received Infraction

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks