Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 6th October 2017, 17:44   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Skoda forgot to advise dealers to remove vRS suspension blocks (used for transporting)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
My mood doesnt allow me to enjoy this for now. It will take some time for my anger to subside and to truly enjoy the softer ride.
While i understand why you are so pissed off with Skoda right now, just do not fret too much about it buddy. You have got a brilliant car in a lovely shade and am sure a few highway drives would subside your anger. buying a Skoda, you must have been prepared for some of these surprises , knowing Skoda, they would not apologise or offer an explanation for this.

Am surprised that they forgot to remove these, germans are a bit too casual in their attitude. When i got my 320 2 years back, the alignment was totally off and i drove 250 kms home cursing bmw on how they could not do such a simple thing, mailed them, they set things right/apologised and ever since it has been a smooth sailing.

Hope it is a one off bad experience and it's a smooth ride from now on, both ways.
coolboy007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2017, 17:53   #32
Team-BHP Support

Re: Skoda forgot to advise dealers to remove vRS suspension blocks (used for transporting)

Quote:
They must be importing the strut of the RS as a complete package and its very likely that the strut ships with these already inserted from the factory.
Or who knows they are importing kits in assembled form, I don't think they are producing/ assembling this engine in India so there will be no duty benefits, they must be Importing complete chassis and Engines which must be getting assembled here.

http://www.siamindia.com/economic-af...8&pgidtrail=20
Attached Thumbnails
Skoda forgot to advise dealers to remove vRS suspension blocks (used for transporting)-screen-shot-20171006-5.50.41-pm.png  

Last edited by Turbanator : 6th October 2017 at 18:00.
Turbanator is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th October 2017, 18:29   #33
BHPian

Quote:

Skoda strikes again!

I know they had installed spacers in the suspension in some cars and forgot to remove them. I had received pics from a friend who took delivery from TAFE in Mangalore.
Hi Nikhilb, so I am assuming I am the friend who took delivery from Tafe Access Mangalore. We both know who the common link is.

Like I posted in my brief review of the vRS after taking delivery, I too, like many who have driven the car felt the suspension to be very stiff. But I felt this is how the vRS ride quality is. I thought the 'You don't see it but you will feel it' ride is the same for all the vRSs'

Two weeks later I get a phone call from the sales guy at Tafe. He told me they are delivering their second vRS and they received an email from Skoda India asking them to remove something from the suspension before the delivery. Since he had no idea what it was he told he will ask someone from the service centre to call me. Now this person from service (Mr A) calls me and this is how the conversation goes:

Mr A: Sir we have received an email from Skoda saying we have to remove a 'lock' from the suspension. Can you get your vehicle to the service center immediately?

Me: Fine but what exactly is this?

Mr A: Sir it is something that is used to lock the suspension so that there will not be any damage during transportation. I will show it to you.

Me: Alright but should it not have been done during PDI?

Mr A: Sorry sir we did not know it as there was no communication regarding this from Skoda India

He sounded a bit nervous (that I am a psychiatrist did not help him either) and after few posts in the team-bhp Whatsapp group, I got an idea of what they wanted to remove.

So I took it for service and they show me these suspension blocks. There are a total of 3 pieces for each suspension

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akshay1234 View Post
What a joke man. What kind of a PDI was done by the dealer if the transport spacers weren't even removed?
I spoke to the person who did the PDI for my car. According to him, usually the front windshield has a sticker stating what all should be done during PDI but it was missing in my car. And because mine was the first car they delivered they had no clue it had to be done.

Whether to believe him or Mr A, I am not sure

Quote:
I wonder if the rear also has these spacers. The strut cover is very tight on the rear suspension and am unable to slide it up or down to check.. I am trying to feel through the cover and I can feel something.
According to Mr A, these blocks are only for the front suspension and the rear does not have this.

The ride is far better now. It is stiff no doubt but way more tolerable- in fact, this level of stiffness is required for a sporty car according to me. Bump absorption is much better and overall it is a significant improvement

Thankfully I am still using the Creta as my primary vehicle so I had clocked only 250 odd kilometres before the blocks were removed.

I think all those who have had a bad experience with Skoda, should start a blog with the tagline (inspired by BMW) 'This is my Skoda horror story. What's yours?'
carfreak is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 6th October 2017, 21:15   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
Skoda not informing the dealers leads me to believe that Skoda India does not even know the existence of these spacers in the strut. They must be importing the strut of the RS as a complete package and its very likely that the strut ships with these already inserted from the factory. When they bolt on the parts here in India they wouldn't even know its there.

Skoda India is completely clueless about its operations.
Rehaans post (qouting somebody else)
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ml#post4282074
says there were instructions for its removal next to the IRVM.

Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th October 2017, 23:32   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carfreak View Post
Hi Nikhilb, so I am assuming I am the friend who took delivery from Tafe Access Mangalore. We both know who the common link is.

Like I posted in my brief review of the vRS after taking delivery, I too, like many who have driven the car felt the suspension to be very stiff. But I felt this is how the vRS ride quality is. I thought the 'You don't see it but you will feel it' ride is the same for all the vRSs'

Two weeks later I get a phone call from the sales guy at Tafe. He told me they are delivering their second vRS and they received an email from Skoda India asking them to remove something from the suspension before the delivery. Since he had no idea what it was he told he will ask someone from the service centre to call me. Now this person from service (Mr A) calls me and this is how the conversation goes:

The ride is far better now. It is stiff no doubt but way more tolerable- in fact, this level of stiffness is required for a sporty car according to me. Bump absorption is much better and overall it is a significant improvement

Thankfully I am still using the Creta as my primary vehicle so I had clocked only 250 odd kilometres before the blocks were removed.

I think all those who have had a bad experience with Skoda, should start a blog with the tagline (inspired by BMW) 'This is my Skoda horror story. What's yours?'
Yes buddy. You were the one. James sent me the photos and he couldnt explain clearly where they were supposed to sit. He said something about suspension and spring and I checked and didnt see anything. Later, I forwarded the pics from your car to another friend who checked thoroughly and told me exactly where to find it.

As you rightly said, the car was too stiff, but I just kept quiet and accepted thinking this is a sports sedan.

Now, it seems to be better but I didnt drive much today. Will know more tomorrow.
Nikhilb2008 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th October 2017, 01:36   #36
BHPian

It truly amazes me that something as significant as a suspension blocker was not removed from vehicles after they were received in their respective dealerships. Skoda shares most of the blame for this blunder and part of the blame also falls with the dealership.

As a dealership - irrespective of manufacturer - having delivered innumerable vehicles over the years, apart from an authorized checklist provided by manufacturer, it should have been prudent or proactive on their part, if they too would develop their own personal checklists for items to be checked and verified present / attended to.

Most people in our country are not enthusiasts who would know to what checks need to be done on a new vehicle. Having paid good money - whatever that amount may be, depending on the buyer's capacity - we trust that the manufacturer and dealer has done due diligence and provided us with a vehicle that is fool / moron proof.

Now for something like this to happen truly shakes the confidence in every buyer because now we have to do the job of the PDI inspector of the manufacturer & dealer.

It is heartening to note that @Nikhilb2008 was able to rectify the problem on his vehicle but it is scary to also note that this error could have been disastrous to him or other buyers incase of an accident.

I guess now would be a good time to modify our personal & the Team-Bhp PDI Checklists to include suspension spacers removal as an item to be checked.

Hope other members who have purchased the vRS and intend to purchase the Kodiaq make it a point to check the removal of the blockers before they drive out of the showroom with their new possessions.
Ithaca is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2017, 11:55   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I was just thinking how much can Skoda sink on the above matter, when this crops up. The best solution don't touch Skoda with a barge pole.
Old 7th October 2017, 12:13   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Are these spacers likely to be on the normal 1.8s too? Do I need to check my Style Plus? :-(
Jack up the front wheels and check. It s a five minute job. I don't think you'll anything there . Looks like a VRS special.

BTW checked for the blocks on my new GTI. There's nothing there. Looks like a common mistake by dealerships across the world (AUDI, BMW included) going by reports on forums. This poor Audi owner discovered it after 4 yrs / 50K miles https://www.audiworld.com/forums/tt-...amage-1940929/
Santoshbhat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th October 2017, 13:23   #39
BHPian

Quote:
This morning, I went to my car, used the supplied jack, jacked up the front wheels and looked for the spacers. I found 5! 2 on the right side and 3 on the left side!
Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
Maybe he supposed to install 2 on each side and decided since he had an extra one in his pocket he'll give you MORE!
Quote:
Originally Posted by carfreak View Post
So I took it for service and they show me these suspension blocks. There are a total of 3 pieces for each suspension.
At least install 3 each side Skoda - you couldn't even get this right and good luck with that target of 5% market share - you'd need it!

On a serious note, asymmetrical installation of spacers probably put more stress on one side of the suspension over the 4600km you've driven, so keep an eye on it as well.
r0nit7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2017, 13:59   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Are these spacers likely to be on the normal 1.8s too? Do I need to check my Style Plus? :-(
There are no spacers on the 1.8 TSI.

The VRS has spacers only at the front.

The spacers aren't fitted at the Aurangabad factory. The VRS kits , though CKD come with most bits already assembled - strut and spacers included.

There is a dangler on the mirror that mentions the presence of spacers. Probably the guys at Tafe thought it was a perfume stick.

Thankfully another potential hazard was averted too - reducing tyre pressure to 30 psi to compensate for the hard ride on a high performance car being used for long distance high speed drives was a hazardous move.

Incidentally BMW and other Germans have also earned quite a reputation globally for not removing transportation spacers too.
AMG Power is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th October 2017, 19:45   #41
BHPian

All VRs owners - please check your brake disks too. Skoda must be safeguarding them too with plastic inserts
FORTified is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2017, 20:29   #42
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Or who knows they are importing kits in assembled form, I don't think they are producing/ assembling this engine in India so there will be no duty benefits, they must be Importing complete chassis and Engines which must be getting assembled here.

http://www.siamindia.com/economic-af...8&pgidtrail=20
Yes, it makes sense to import CKD the numbers are low, and the import duty too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
Rehaans post (qouting somebody else)
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ml#post4282074
says there were instructions for its removal next to the IRVM.

Regards
Sutripta
Like a fellow member mentioned the guys must have mistaken it for little tree air freshener! If these are necessary then Skoda (VAG) could have used the external suspension blocker which sits on the coil spring which is more noticeable and easier to take off.
Sankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2017, 21:09   #43
Senior - BHPian

Skoda forgot to advise dealers to remove vRS suspension blocks (used for tran...

This like finding Jeeps Easter eggs. Start searching and though shall find. Nirvana.

Skoda, a lot of good things through the year( for all the customer centric noise made), and we have a Black edition goof up and this spacers issue. Guys who bought the Monte Carlo edition should have their antennas up. Is it really a Monte Carlo edition or one from Malgudi ?
: Furstrati:

PS: Excuse my apostrophes as I am unable to use them on the IOS app. Read Jeeps as Jeep's. Thats what I mean.

Last edited by Akshay1234 : 8th October 2017 at 00:37.
Arjun Reddy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2017, 22:26   #44
BHPian

I just hope this is the first and last surprise that the vRS owners experience. I was just so sad after reading this, especially after seeing how well the vRS was taken in by the enthusiasts here, even after being aware of Skoda's horror stories, since Team-BHP has a lot of documentation of those stories in India. After paying 30 big ones for such a beautiful car which is MEANT to be driven spiritedly and enjoyed, an incident like this totally robs the peace of mind an owner will be having while driving his/her car. This is someone's hard earned money that we are talking about, and owning a car like this is supposed to make you feel special. Something like this is absolutely unacceptable. This attitude has to stop. Skoda, if you're reading this (I am pretty sure that you are), please stop taking us for granted.

Also, I SINCERELY hope that vRS owners all throughout the country(even non-BHPians) get to notice this thread and preserve their car, because if this is not something dealer specific, it will be persistent on the other ones being sold elsewhere as well!

Neel

Last edited by petrolhead_neel : 7th October 2017 at 22:28.
petrolhead_neel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th October 2017, 23:26   #45
BHPian

Thanks to such blunders being performed by the big companies, all the enthusiasts tend to learn more about their vehicles than the people selling and servicing them.

What must be happening to the people who buy the car because it's good and from a reputed stable, without the technical know hows- That's something that scares me.

Last week I was at the Mini Cooper showroom and one guy tells me that the JCW kit comes with a better tune and a different muffler for aesthetics to make it look sportier!

When will companies start training their staff well is something I can't understand, or am I hoping for too much?

An apology in the above case does nothing to any impact that could have had happened due to the blocks, and all the company can do is pass the buck and claim innocence. Is this what responsibility and ownership is all about?
I guess the times when we had HM and others were better when there was a relationship with the customer, everyone knew that the product had to be inspected thoroughly.

So much for peace of mind!

Most Viewed