Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th March 2009, 00:48   #76
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul18348 View Post
Exactly right. 02 months ago, i was driving my santro xing on highway at 90+ when a villager on his cycle suddenly came in my way from the left & a 16 wheeler was coming from the opposite side on the right. I did an S curve at 90+ to save myself from a mishap. Without HPS, i would have
1) either hit the guy on cycle (and ended up in jail)
2) or crashed head on with the 16 wheeler at 90+ speed (Ram Nam Satya Hai)
Dudes! you should drive the EPS cars extensively before implying that EPS cars can't make sharp lane changes at 90+.

8+ years with a wagonr, have done it all! there is no negative.

Also have an Alto Vxi and a City ZX, all EPS.

Because you are happy with your HPS, isn't a negative point for the EPS.

For the thread - A 30min test drive teaches you nothing about the car in any practical sense. The question is not 'need' its 'want' and the answer is 'ofcourse' if there is an option.
Old 18th March 2009, 08:36   #77
BHPian

I drove a WagonR for a around 1000 km over couple of days, and to be honest EPS sacred the S**t out of me. I am used to HPS in my Esteem and due to EPS the car seemed so wobbly and unstable. I simply was not able to get a hang of it.

After that car, my Esteem was like safe heaven for me.
Old 18th March 2009, 09:52   #78
BHPian

I have both driven EPS and non power steering cars. I feel that EPS is of great help when you have to park the car in limited space and taking U turns on small roads. Though it feels little awkward for first 5-10 minutes when you drive a EPS car after driving Non PS car but i feel a good driver adjusts automatically after 5-10 minutes or one or two turns.

As regards high way situation i feel manufacturer has not designed systems keeping in mind that you are going take to sharp lane cuts at 90+ speed. So there is no point discussing that. Power steering systems are designed to give better manuverability in slow and congested traffic and sharp turns, u bends, hair pin bends not for sharp lane cutting.
Old 20th January 2010, 02:19   #79
BANNED

Whether a big car or small, which the RACK n PINION mechanism is used for steering its almost a must to have HPS or EPS, because the RP mechanism is at the end of all linkages. So the steering torque travels through the linkages from the steering wheel to the Pinion thus displacing the Rack. When the energy travels from the wheel to the rack, considerable amount of it is lost to to mechanical factors. Hence steering become tight and tedious for the driver. Therefore the need of a EPS/HPS
Old 20th January 2010, 07:19   #80
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rammishra View Post
I have both driven EPS and non power steering cars. I feel that EPS is of great help when you have to park the car in limited space and taking U turns on small roads. Though it feels little awkward for first 5-10 minutes when you drive a EPS car after driving Non PS car but i feel a good driver adjusts automatically after 5-10 minutes or one or two turns.

As regards high way situation i feel manufacturer has not designed systems keeping in mind that you are going take to sharp lane cuts at 90+ speed. So there is no point discussing that. Power steering systems are designed to give better manuverability in slow and congested traffic and sharp turns, u bends, hair pin bends not for sharp lane cutting.

But I thought power steering is supposed to disengage at speeds > 80 KMPH or so?
Old 20th January 2010, 22:27   #81
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shashank.A View Post
I drove a WagonR for a around 1000 km over couple of days, and to be honest EPS sacred the S**t out of me. I am used to HPS in my Esteem and due to EPS the car seemed so wobbly and unstable. I simply was not able to get a hang of it.

After that car, my Esteem was like safe heaven for me.
Being wobbly and unstable has nothing to do with EPS or hydraulic power steering.

The Esteem is a performance oriented sedan like the ohc,Lancer,Baleno and has an all wheel independent suspension while the Wagon-R is a tall boy,with a three link axle at the rear.

Yes,the big difference one feels between an EPS and a Hydraulic Power steering is the no. of turns lock to lock.

Also with EPS,rack,pinion get loaded more,especially when turning teh wheels at standstill ;while in HPS nothing happens to the rack for a long long time

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks