Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th February 2018, 20:11   #91
BHPian

Re: When is it time to overhaul the engine ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
I have used your pic only, Sir.
Oops ! I'm sorry, my bad...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
How old was your engine ?
I needed a fresh engine block since my plan at that time was ( still is ) to bore it out to run 71mm pistons ( from the i10 ).

Most of the machine shops I talked to told me that the 2.5mm overbore was impossible & that I might need new sleeves machined.

I did not want my dear old lady engine-less during my rather dubious enterprise, so just got the half-engine.

My 17-year old Alto has done just 100K Kms & should do another 50K easy
~
im_srini is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th February 2018, 16:29   #92
Senior - BHPian

Is half engine available for all car models (I mean, at least all car models of Maruti)?
Old 27th February 2018, 20:41   #93
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
Is half engine available for all car models (I mean, at least all car models of Maruti)?
It was available till sometime back. But they discontinued support for engines in recent past like the 5 Speed 800, Old Baleno, Kizashi etc.

Still if you need for your Baleno, you can check with these details:

Part No: 10100M65G00
Name: HALF ENGINE ASSY(BALENO)
Price: Rs. 66662.78
Leoshashi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2018, 16:20   #94
BHPian

Quote:

History:
I have been hearing a slight noise emanating from the engine bay while I was driving around. It wasn’t so loud to catch an attention nor it was very frequent. But there was something amiss. I didn’t pay much heed to it and ignored and drove around and finally a damage was done on the crank shaft.
Sorry to pull up your old thread, but what kind of noise does this appear to be?
Got a 2006 Baleno and I too hear a slight hissing sound (similar to timing belt) while the car is on the move. Do not hear it when I am parked. Similar to your case, I too had my timing belt etc changed some months ago.

Finally how good is Sejal now, I am looking to get the rear suspension swap done as well. The last time I went there was in 2013 for fixing a Santro and I never liked their bill and cleaning job then
Old 23rd November 2018, 23:33   #95
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by unni246 View Post
Sorry to pull up your old thread, but what kind of noise does this appear to be?
Got a 2006 Baleno and I too hear a slight hissing sound (similar to timing belt) while the car is on the move. Do not hear it when I am parked. Similar to your case, I too had my timing belt etc changed some months ago.

Finally how good is Sejal now, I am looking to get the rear suspension swap done as well. The last time I went there was in 2013 for fixing a Santro and I never liked their bill and cleaning job then
It was a grinding kind of noise from inside timing cover. It was actually coming from the crank shaft sprocket like I said in the post.This is the lower part of the timing belt where it is connected to. It was very light noise in the beginning and finally became very hard. Also ended up with extreme loss in pick up.

Sejal is good. They have a new location with good approch roads andparking. Balenos he takes care well. I too have done front suspension replacement and gear box overhaul as well.

Last edited by balenoed_ : 23rd November 2018 at 23:34.
balenoed_ is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 24th November 2018, 10:30   #96
BHPian

Quote:
It was a grinding kind of noise from inside timing cover.

Sejal is good. They have a new location with good approch roads andparking. Balenos he takes care well. I too have done front suspension replacement and gear box overhaul as well.
Thanks, I will get mine checked then.

When You say new location is it still next to where the old one was behind Samsung campus?
Old 24th November 2018, 12:40   #97
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by unni246 View Post
Thanks, I will get mine checked then.

When You say new location is it still next to where the old one was behind Samsung campus?
Nearby, on the opposite side, behind total mall.

https://maps.google.com/?q=12.977899...36&hl=en&gl=us
Old 20th February 2019, 22:41   #98
BHPian

I have a 2004 Baleno Vxi with 90k kms in Odo with 14 years of service.

I now feels the sound from engine bay drastically increasing and becoming very noisy when AC is turned ON, and the car also judders and jerks very much, and it is very much observed while idling. And for exactly 3 times in different incidents our car randomly turned off while driving after getting CEL. And coming to the AC part, after cold start and engine reaching the operating temperature, AC starts cooling for initial few minutes and then after that the cooling is not there and it is only the blower which is running.

Is this an indication for an engine issue or is it an issue with the AC?

I have listed down in detail few of the main issues in one of my post in other thread(link below). I think those issues call for a major rework which will be inevitable. But before going to the FNG, I would like to get some directions from fellow T-BHPians.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...ml#post4545999 (Best Practices : Maintain your Car in Top Shape)

Any kind of information and help is very much appreciated.
Old 26th February 2019, 23:27   #99
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophomore View Post
I have a 2004 Baleno Vxi with 90k kms in Odo with 14 years of service.

I now feels the sound from engine bay drastically increasing and becoming very noisy when AC is turned ON, and the car also judders and jerks very much, and it is very much observed while idling.
Referring to your both posts:

You seem to have spent a quite a lot on this car. Yes, it would be still worth it if you have plans to keep this. Quite a lot of life left in it.

As for the sound from the engine, it needs thorough diagnosis. It can be due to engine or A/C. Did you say the sound is there even if A/C is switched OFF?, then A/C could not be an issue right? The information that the FNG mentioned about CAM sensor is not true. The car can start even if the CAM sensor is bad. I have driven around with a bad CAM sensor, but the pick up will be terribly hit, but the car will start. A good mechanic can easily identify the problem.

A/C less cooling can be also due to inadequate gas.

Suspension niggles can be due to bad lower arm bushes. You cannot replace the bush alone. An OEM lower arm costs less than half of SGP parts. I have replaced on mine.

I have posted about the engine overhaul of by Baleno here. The reason was similar - sound from the engine bay.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...ml#post4320194 (When is it time to overhaul the engine ?)

Last edited by balenoed_ : 26th February 2019 at 23:30.
balenoed_ is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 27th February 2019, 00:08   #100
BHPian

Quote:
Referring to your both posts:
You seem to have spent a quite a lot on this car. Yes, it would be still worth it if you have plans to keep this. Quite a lot of life left in it.
Your above comment has certainly brought a smile on my face. Thank you.

Based upon your suggestions, I think I should go to another FNG down here and get their thoughts and see how they perceive.

I have gone through your posts multiple times on different repair works done on your baleno and need to say those have been very helpful in getting some idea.

And at the worst case if FNG here fails to understand the issue, I will be left out of options. And having a perception that Bangalore has good mechanics familiar with Baleno, is it advised to take my car to Bangalore which is some 300km from my place? (Just to be rough, it will easily take another Rs. 5000 just against the fuel expenses for a round trip. Will it still be worth?
)
Old 27th February 2019, 07:26   #101
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

1. 2004 Baleno Vxi with 90k kms in Odo .

2.becoming very noisy when AC is turned ON, and the car also judders and jerks very much, and it is very much observed while idling.

3. 3 times in different incidents our car randomly turned off while driving after getting CEL.

4. after cold start and engine reaching the operating temperature, AC starts cooling for initial few minutes and then after that the cooling is not there and it is only the blower which is running.

I would recommend a step by step approach

1. Check if the condenser fan is vibrating and if that is causing all the judder. If yes, replace the fan motor

2. CEL coming on - have a scan done to check which error code is appearing.

3.AC starts cooling and then doesn't cool - because the compressor isn't cutting in OR the compressor is cutting in but refrigerant charge is low

Examine if the compressor is turning on and off when you see this problem appearing. If it is not turning on, it could most likely be a weak compressor clutch coil that stops working when it gets heated up.

I would first ask you to examine the AC and coolant circuits thoroughly.

If the engine coolant temperature crosses 70% it is definitely a problem either with the radiator fan not turning on OR the temperature switch OR the thermostat valve OR inadequate coolant
vigsom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th February 2019, 11:28   #102
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Your above comment has certainly brought a smile on my face. Thank you.

Based upon your suggestions, I think I should go to another FNG down here and get their thoughts and see how they perceive.

I have gone through your posts multiple times on different repair works done on your baleno and need to say those have been very helpful in getting some idea.

And at the worst case if FNG here fails to understand the issue, I will be left out of options. And having a perception that Bangalore has good mechanics familiar with Baleno, is it advised to take my car to Bangalore which is some 300km from my place? (Just to be rough, it will easily take another Rs. 5000 just against the fuel expenses for a round trip. Will it still be worth?
)
You need to first narrow down the issue whether Engine related or A/C or something else. Which part of Kerala are you at?

Yes, Bangalore certainly has all the advantages including easily available spares and good mechanics. I would not advice you to drive straightway to Bangalore until you narrow down the problem. Because if it is something to do with the engine and you drive 300 odd kms, it can cause more damage sometimes depending on the type of issue, probably beyond repair. (Meaning, it might ask for an engine overhaul)

Did you say that everything is okay if A/C is not turned ON?
Old 27th February 2019, 13:29   #103
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigsom View Post
I would recommend a step by step approach

2. CEL coming on - have a scan done to check which error code is appearing.
Visited M.A.S.S today, sole purpose was to get a scan done. But there was no history of error codes found for my car when they scanned with their Suzuki ® Diagnostic Tester (SDT). I did not have any intention to carry out other works as MASS as they will suggest only replacement and that too with SGP/MGP. So next I will visit the other FNG.

Thank you for your directions, I will try to update the analysis based on each approach.

Quote:
You need to first narrow down the issue whether Engine related or A/C or something else. Which part of Kerala are you at?
I am towards the north side of Kerala at Kannur District.
Quote:
Yes, Bangalore certainly has all the advantages including easily available spares and good mechanics. I would not advice you to drive straightway to Bangalore until you narrow down the problem. Because if it is something to do with the engine and you drive 300 odd kms, it can cause more damage sometimes depending on the type of issue, probably beyond repair. (Meaning, it might ask for an engine overhaul)
Yes, that is a valid point which has to be taken into consideration. I will start with the mechanic here and try to narrow down step by step and update
Quote:
Did you say that everything is okay if A/C is not turned ON?
With AC turned ON, things gets bad. And if it's not turned ON, it is somewhat okay, maybe the age would have slowly starting to show

Last edited by aah78 : 27th February 2019 at 18:26. Reason: Quotes added per request.
Old 27th February 2019, 22:05   #104
Senior - BHPian

Let me PM you as this will need discussions beyond the subject of this thread. Will come back here if it needs engine overhaul.
Old 28th February 2019, 15:40   #105
BHPian

Quote:

Is this an indication for an engine issue or is it an issue with the AC?

As per the directions given by our fellow BHPians I started with the AC part first.

Today morning, I went to a Car AC technician. As the car only ran 3km, he said that everything is okay for the time being and told me to come when my issue pops up. He also filled some water on the radiator as a top up.

I went for a drive with AC turned ON just to recreate my issue, and after 30km the car got stalled with a slight squeezing sound (temp guage was well in expected level right to the halfway). With the ignition still in ON I immediately opened the hood and noticed the radiator fan is running.

I then Cranked the engine with A.C turned off and went to the technician. Luckily infront of the technician I was able to recreate the issue. He said that Compressor went Kaput. And he narrates that after the vehicle heating up, the compressor gets stuck and eventually stalls the engine as well.

Kindly share your thoughts on the above.

As it is 2004 MS Baleno, the parts are very expensive. He said a approx quote of not less than Rs. 20k. Are there any workarounds or reliable aftermarket solutions?
Sophomore is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks