Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th October 2018, 19:15   #61
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Tata's "DurAlloy Wheel" is actually a steel rim with a plastic wheel cap!

That is a con job. Least expected from Tata group of all people. While, the alloy wheel lookalike steel rim + plastic cap combo is a job well done, calling it an 'alloy' wheel is just not done. Hope they make amends and quickly at that. I would be seriously pissed if I found that the alloys on the variant I chose turned out to be fake !
Santoshbhat is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 30th October 2018, 20:10   #62
BHPian

As a buyer am normally worried about the dealer, thinking whether they would con me during Sale or Service. But never thought that manufacturer himself would con us, as in this case. When I visited Tata showroom to test drive Tata Nexon, I was very happy to see the quality in offer and the design. I really thought that Tata has turned a page, but now this. Very disappointed.
Nazzy is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th October 2018, 20:14   #63
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
Well, from metallurgical point of view, steel is an alloy of iron and carbon. So you can't take them to court for marketing steel wheels as alloy wheels!
Steel = Iron + carbon. Hmm, true that.

Hey come to think of it, my cars (and others) are made of "Duralloy". There! I said it.
R2D2 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 30th October 2018, 20:44   #64
Distinguished - BHPian

On a lighter note, I think tata meant dur-se-alloy since it will look like an alloy when viewed from far. Hence named it DurAlloy
sagarpadaki is online now   (35) Thanks
Old 30th October 2018, 21:11   #65
BHPian

Oh my !!

This is hoodwinking at its heights...

Had really high regards about the company after the success of Hexa and Tigor..

Now makes me think twice before recommending the company to anyone .
Nishith is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th October 2018, 22:37   #66
BHPian

Going a little against the tide here....

In a market, when we have the undisputed market leader (and another of the Top-3 manufacturer), hoodwinking everyone (including the Government) with its own flavor of micro-Hybrid terminology and even getting subsidies for the same, why is it shocking to see Tata Motors following them on similar lines.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...shvs-cars.html (Man files plea; wants Maruti to return subsidies received for its SHVS cars)

Not expected from Tata Motors, as we hold them in high regards on ethics, but given market dynamics and cost pressures, is definitely not shocking.

Well, in a market where a KUV100 or Ignis is advertised and sold as a "SUV", why bother about wheel caps.
sachinayak is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 31st October 2018, 00:54   #67
BHPian

Such petty gimmicks will only bring down Tata in the eyes of consumers, especially when some of their recent launches have garnered well deserved appreciation and attention even among enthusiasts' community.

I don't have anything against steel rims - it might even be better for Indian roads. Anyway most mass-market consumers want alloys only for looks and this does look very convincing on the naked eye. I don't think Tata would have lost anything if they had advertised it as some specially designed steel rims.

Clever marketing and play-of-words is one thing but this blatantly misleading term is another. Very disappointing from a company which is known for its trust worthiness.
Old 31st October 2018, 03:52   #68
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Since the NRG is a crossover variant of the Tiago; TATA thought of using steel rims with fancy caps so that the Rims can handle the Off Road use that the car will be put to.

Just like steel spokes rims in bikes meant for off road use vs Alloys for normal usage. This is because alloys break while Rims just Bend.

And before those who don't get it start shooting me. I am just being sarcastic with a face held straight with great difficulty.

Can't think of any other logic to justify this, Anyway people only want alloys for the looks and they are getting it with this solution.

TATA has created a new innovation that will set a trend in luxury off road worthy cars in years to come.

Last edited by ACM : 31st October 2018 at 03:54.
Old 31st October 2018, 07:44   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
Steel = Iron + carbon. Hmm, true that.

Hey come to think of it, my cars (and others) are made of "Duralloy". There! I said it.

Maybe you've said this on a lighter note. However there is something important a manufacturer could learn about the mindset of their customers.

In spite of posts clarifying Duralloy is just a coating we still think it's the wheels. Did we stop to learn what it is before posting? We just assumed a mistake is made and jumped in. It's does not even rank higher on the severity chart.

I'm sure they have their reasons to put those wheels on the car while all they did was the try to get some attractive name on their brochures which lead us to assume things in a certain way.

We should have by now researched on the subject and should be discussing the merits or demerits of the coating.

I hope this doesn't dilute the impact of a great product and wish we customers get a better vehicle at the end.
varunanb is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st October 2018, 07:49   #70
Distinguished - BHPian

I hear the word trust and people feeling cheated by a company like Tata, isn't it time we stop giving products the benefit of trust just because of the brand?

Maybe we can have a poll to see if Tata had that kind of trust, people who owned one may not buy another one. Or which is the most trusted auto brand for BHPians.
Old 31st October 2018, 08:49   #71
Distinguished - BHPian

I think we are over reacting here. This is not the first time an auto maker uses misleading terms in its advertising, and is by no means the most egregious example. Tata has called these Duralloy wheels, a quick Google search reveals that Duralloy is a coating for steel which improves corrosion resistance. If we misinterpret that, it’s our fault. When I compare that with Maruti actively using engineering to make cars sold internationally less safe (to reduce cost), or Hyundai advertising the i20 with 5 star safety when the model sold here did not have the features needed to get a 5 star rating, or Mercedes selling cars with Artico leather (which I had to Google to discover it is not leather but just leatherette), this is a minor sin. This thread is useful - helps folks easily find out the facts here. But let’s not overdo the Tata bashing on this.
Hayek is online now   (14) Thanks
Old 31st October 2018, 09:26   #72
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by varunanb View Post
Maybe you've said this on a lighter note. However there is something important a manufacturer could learn about the mindset of their customers.
I am not all that stuck up about the technology involved in the design and manufacture of the wheel. But what bothers me is it seems to be a misleading name to attract customers. I am a car enthusiast like all others on T-BHP but had I looked at those wheels on a Tata product I'd have assumed that they are truly aluminium alloys not steel wheels with a fancy cover.

So that begs the question - if enthusiasts like us could be misled by this name what is to say about the normal Indian customer?

Quote:
In spite of posts clarifying Duralloy is just a coating we still think it's the wheels. Did we stop to learn what it is before posting? We just assumed a mistake is made and jumped in. It's does not even rank higher on the severity chart.
The manufacturer hasn't shared why the wheel was named so. It's not an alloy wheel at least in the definition of what an alloy wheel is in automobile parlance. Also, the 'Duralloy' coating (a product by Dulux) was a post shared by me (post # 3) and I clearly say I may be wrong in my assumption.

Quote:
I'm sure they have their reasons to put those wheels on the car while all they did was the try to get some attractive name on their brochures which lead us to assume things in a certain way.
Of course they did it to sell the car and to highlight it as one of many 'USPs' if I may call it that. Thing is this word play is deliberate and intended to mislead a car buyer. Alloy wheels don't cost too much nowadays. They could have purchased a set for Rs 20K or less at OEM pricing scales and raised the car's prices accordingly.

Quote:
I hope this doesn't dilute the impact of a great product and wish we customers get a better vehicle at the end.
Tata is making sustained efforts to up its game and I am very happy to see it. We had a Safari a long time ago. And speaking from experience I tell you this is where the cheapskate mentality of the Tata Motors of old peeks through. It is disappointing.

Given the Tata Group is known for its excellent business ethics. All TaMo need to do is insert an asterisk after the term 'Duralloy' and a footnote in fine print somewhere else on the brochure or on the website to denote what it actually is. It may also save them from legal complications should Dulux take an objection to the use of their registered trademark.

Last edited by R2D2 : 31st October 2018 at 09:30. Reason: typos
R2D2 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st October 2018, 11:23   #73
BHPian

Renault's cheap tactics with the Captur/Kaptur was blown right here on this forum. This issue, though not exactly same, is similar.

The reason people here are reacting strongly to this is because of Tata's famous ethical standards and the sentimentality attached to them for being an Indian company. And the reactions are not just for this issue but also a continuation of the feature removal issue from the other thread.

This is like seeing a previously poor student, with great potential, getting better marks now, only to discover later that there was some dishonesty/deception involved. I was very excited about the Harrier, but now I am doubtful
Old 31st October 2018, 11:28   #74
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayek View Post
I think we are over reacting here. This is not the first time an auto maker uses misleading terms in its advertising, and is by no means the most egregious example. Tata has called these Duralloy wheels, a quick Google search reveals that Duralloy is a coating for steel which improves corrosion resistance. If we misinterpret that, it’s our fault. When I compare that with Maruti actively using engineering to make cars sold internationally less safe (to reduce cost), or Hyundai advertising the i20 with 5 star safety when the model sold here did not have the features needed to get a 5 star rating, or Mercedes selling cars with Artico leather (which I had to Google to discover it is not leather but just leatherette), this is a minor sin. This thread is useful - helps folks easily find out the facts here. But let’s not overdo the Tata bashing on this.
I beg to differ. In automobile parlance there are certain terms used to indicate what the car is equipped with, and the customer goes by these commonly used terminologies. Using the word 'DurAlloy' with a capital A in there is done with the clear intention of misleading the customer. When you read the wheel spec in the brochure, you expect to read the words 'steel wheels' or 'alloys wheels'. If they called it DuraSteel wheels or something like that, I would have no problem, since this offering is a variant of a steel wheel. But by using the word alloy with a capital 'A', they are only trying to mislead you to think it is an alloy wheel.

I really don't think these wheels have any special coatings either. I haven't seen Tata Motors indicating that anywhere. The coating in the link seems to be meant for metals that are subject to a lot of friction and wear. Think of it, why would the manufacturer spend money on speccing up the steel rim when ordinary steel wheels are doing fine for decades, heavy vehicles included. Wheel caps serve cosmetic purposes and alloy wheels in addition give you light weight, more strength and even more aesthetics. What value does a coated steel wheel add?

Just because other manufacturers have done it in the past, we cannot absolve Tata Motors of this blunder. Outright misleading of specs leads to loss of trust in a brand. Customer outrage is justified IMHO.
Santoshbhat is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 31st October 2018, 11:39   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
On a lighter note, I think tata meant dur-se-alloy since it will look like an alloy when viewed from far. Hence named it DurAlloy
That was a good one. I am sure the ad briefing had just that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Damn! They fooled my eyes completely too. Excellent execution,...
I should say this, I am mighty impressed with the execution. The color, the angle of cuts, that is some good design there. Gives the alloy wheel look 100%.

If we have such good design engineers, I am sure Tata stable will have some well designed products on the roll soon.
Spinnerr is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks