Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 18th January 2019, 17:23   #46
BHPian

Re: Maruti Ignis: Steering too hard & my saga with Nexa

Just drove a friend's brand new Ignis Zeta Petrol MT last weekend on a 450 kms trip total. The odo reading was 50 kms when we began. Contrary to the explanation I found the steering quite light and also not inspiring confidence at higher speeds. I was hoping it will weigh up as the odo piles up some miles. Was perfectly stable till 11X kph though even over some rough or uneven patches. I feel there "may" be one bad batch pending recall.
Old 19th January 2019, 11:25   #47
BHPian

In my personal experience most steering's tend to open up after driving some serious kilometers. I would say if everything checks out fine with maruti engineers and all figures are within tolerable limits then you should just leave it alone and drive peacefully without worrying too much and losing your sleep over it.
Nothing beats factory fit and finish, i would rather be skeptical with mechanics opening a component again and again.I have seen most of the times you go to solve one issue and you have a host of other things messed up. So just drive and it should loosen up eventually. I had a similar experience with my replacement of clutch master cylinder,which resulted in terrible gearshift issues because of multiple improper clutch bleeding's.
Old 19th January 2019, 11:33   #48
BHPian

My ignis Zeta MT has completed 15000 km. The tires were upgraded to 195 yoko on the first day. I never faced any issue with the steering from day one. The steering was light as expected and return to center action was almost nil. But after changing the tires the steering feel has improved a lot especially on speeds above 100.The return to center action has also improved over a period of time. What i have observed is the suspension and steering has improved over a period of time of continuous usage.

The steering feedback though cannot be compared ford etc, still is able to decently control the tallboy at speeds of 140. i have ripped the car with full luggage at high speeds and never had a moment of concern regarding stability or steering.In fact the the car surprised me with it dynamics for a tall boy.

I am keeping the tire pressures at 32/30 to compensate the stiff ride.. I did not face any issues with speed or handling, but for mileage being a little less.I prefer softer ride and lower GC but cant help it now. I am not sure about ‘burnishing’ concept but the car improves a lot once it completes around 12k on ODO and feels more settled.
shebin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2019, 15:29   #49
BHPian

Hi Everyone,

Update again:
Cyborg and I met last Saturday and we drove each other's car. Apparently, steering of both our cars are... exactly the same! It was very surprising actually. Cyborg's car is at 4K on the odo (2017 model), so it was certainly apple to apple comparison.

Here's some of my conclusion: -

- Given that 2017 and 2018 models had same steering, I don't see any manufacturing changes (new vendor, new parts etc).
- The demo cars are much different for their steering. So I guess every Ignis user will have better steering as they crunch more miles.
- There is certain subjectivity that I also had w.r.t. steering. A lot of users have mentioned 'light' or 'super light' in the forum. I believe I had a completely different take on the definition.
- But, at the very least, I know my steering doesn't has a manufacturing defect. Same as new Ignis and 2017 Ignis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by car-dent View Post
When i initially changed to scross from linea, the steering felt very weird. Similar to the "sticky" feeling you mentioned.
But it feels much better now after about 10,000 kms.
I believe two things happen, first we get used to the thing over a period of time and the bias of previous experience weans away. Second, the components do "open up" with use and get smoother. Just my two cents.
Thanks for the input. Validates further.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jagzrk View Post
Contrary to the explanation I found the steering quite light and also not inspiring confidence at higher speeds. I was hoping it will weigh up as the odo piles up some miles. Was perfectly stable till 11X kph though even over some rough or uneven patches. I feel there "may" be one bad batch pending recall.
Yeah, the 'light' steering isn't exactly light in my books for Ignis. But after validating so many data points, I guess it's just me!

And I agree. Ignis is surprisingly stable for tall boy even with aggressive lane changes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpian View Post
if everything checks out fine with maruti engineers and all figures are within tolerable limits then you should just leave it alone and drive peacefully without worrying too much and losing your sleep over it.
Thank you. I guess that's how it'll be now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shebin View Post
return to center action was almost nil...
The return to center action has also improved over a period of time.
That's what Maruti claims too.
Quote:
What i have observed is the suspension and steering has improved over a period of time of continuous usage.
For suspensions, you mean it's more compliant and less choppy? Kindly elaborate.
Quote:
The steering feedback though cannot be compared ford etc, still is able to decently control the tallboy at speeds of 140. i have ripped the car with full luggage at high speeds and never had a moment of concern regarding stability or steering.In fact the the car surprised me with it dynamics for a tall boy.
True that. Guess driving the Cedia and then Fiesta for over 4 years led to this Even today, I find Ignis steering very unpredictable. But Cyborg didn't had this issue. He drives a Civic (which has a great steering) but he's fine with Ignis. Different perceptions and how!
Quote:
I am not sure about ‘burnishing’ concept but the car improves a lot once it completes around 12k on ODO and feels more settled.
Thanks for another validation.

Summing up: -
- This has been a learning and an eye opener to me. Guess a lot of people have so different take on the same steering setup. I found Ignis to have sticky steering and it still is for me. But I'm trying to get used to it and driving it more in city to 'open up'.
- Support from Team-Bhp has been just incredible. Each inputs have helped!
- One more thanks to Cyborg! Thanks for catchin up buddy.
- This also doesn't mean that there cannot be a recall of Ignis steering. Baleno & S-Cross had it and it can happen to any other car also. Or if Nexa takes this seriously and enhances the steering in the facelift. All possible.

Note for Ignis buyers
I've created a big fuss about the steering setup and yes, I'm still uncomfortable with it. But please drive the car before making the judgement. High possibility that you'd find it just fine. At best, you can ask for a test drive of a car from the stock yard which has very few miles on it, that'll be a reality check.

But otherwise, it's a great car - I love it, my family loves it. It's not a VFM car by a decent margin and by price it's not a night and day difference from Swift, Baleno or even the superior i20 Elite. But the features, space, packaging etc it offers is just brilliant.

I'll be driving the car more, and monitoring the steering closely and update this thread also. Hopefully this helps people who are already using it and to ones that are considering buying the new car.

Last edited by Vibhanshu : 21st January 2019 at 15:33. Reason: typo
Vibhanshu is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2019, 11:18   #50
BHPian

Quote:
For suspensions, you mean it's more compliant and less choppy? Kindly elaborate.
Choppiness on abrupt and sharp bumps are still felt and better to slow down on such occasions. When the rear is fully loaded with luggage the choppiness becomes negligible.

Ride has become much more compliant and has improved a lot.

Also after upgrading the tires i felt that the entirely light floating feeling of the steering is gone.Feed back too improved slightly.

Last edited by Jaggu : 23rd January 2019 at 14:04. Reason: Fixing quote tag
Old 22nd January 2019, 13:59   #51
Senior - BHPian

I guess it sometimes boils down to what you are used to. Like when I moved to the Civic from my Laura Tsi, I thought it was a slow car. But now when I take it out once a week, after using the Ignis for the rest of the time, the pickup seems explosive. I don't miss the Tsi anymore

The Ignis is a brilliant car. Don't worry and enjoy it
Old 22nd January 2019, 14:54   #52
BHPian

Glad this was (kind of) sorted out.
Old 22nd January 2019, 15:26   #53
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vibhanshu View Post
Note for Ignis buyers
I've created a big fuss about the steering setup and yes, I'm still uncomfortable with it. But please drive the car before making the judgement. High possibility that you'd find it just fine.
We bought an Ignis in March 2018. The steering was non-responsive and had trouble centering on its own. Figured, its a very complicated area to even complain about and just sat on it hoping for it to get better with time, which it did. Its still not perfect, but that's a relative term anyways.

Quote:
It's not a VFM car by a decent margin and by price it's not a night and day difference from Swift, Baleno or even the superior i20 Elite. But the features, space, packaging etc it offers is just brilliant.
It's not VFM. It is the most comfortable cabin. e.g. Baleno's rear seat was punishing. Its suspension lacks maturity of a 6-7L rupee car. When in need over uneven road - its wagonR class. (I really haven't tested Baleno/ Swift to comment, but own an ertiga petrol and its much better)

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpian View Post
Nothing beats factory fit and finish, i would rather be skeptical with mechanics opening a component again and again.I have seen most of the times you go to solve one issue and you have a host of other things messed up.
Words of wisdom. Never fix something that ain't broken. I've learnt my share of lessons.
Old 23rd January 2019, 13:23   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Choppiness on abrupt and sharp bumps are still felt and better to slow down on such occasions. When the rear is fully loaded with luggage the choppiness becomes negligible.

Ride has become much more compliant and has improved a lot.

Also after upgrading the tires i felt that the entirely light floating feeling of the steering is gone.Feed back too improved slightly.
That's interesting. This helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altocumulus View Post
I guess it sometimes boils down to what you are used to. Like when I moved to the Civic from my Laura Tsi, I thought it was a slow car. But now when I take it out once a week, after using the Ignis for the rest of the time, the pickup seems explosive. I don't miss the Tsi anymore

The Ignis is a brilliant car. Don't worry and enjoy it
Enjoying it now
Quote:
Originally Posted by caffeineAM View Post
Glad this was (kind of) sorted out.
Thanks mate!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLK View Post
We bought an Ignis in March 2018. The steering was non-responsive and had trouble centering on its own. Figured, its a very complicated area to even complain about and just sat on it hoping for it to get better with time, which it did. Its still not perfect, but that's a relative term anyways.
Another validation of steering getting better. Thanks for the input.
Quote:
It's not VFM. It is the most comfortable cabin. e.g. Baleno's rear seat was punishing. Its suspension lacks maturity of a 6-7L rupee car. When in need over uneven road - its wagonR class. (I really haven't tested Baleno/ Swift to comment, but own an ertiga petrol and its much better)
Don't know about Baleno. But in Ignis, rear comfort is comfortable enough, atleast in city (with 32 psi on tires), haven't tried highway yet. Suspension does have maturity, but not in league of Punto, old fiestas etc. Truth is, the rear leg space is something that one notices before thinking about ride quality
Old 22nd May 2020, 22:15   #55

Just took the delivery of the car today and found this thread after googling the symptom, my ignis has just 100km on the odo, I find the the steering just stiffens up after 40kmph, it's like it's stuck in one direction. usually there must be 2 to 3 mm free play in steering for minute adjustments at high speed, but here it takes effort to get it out of it's stuck position and in the process I end overcompensating which is scary at high speeds. coming from a VW, Skoda owner ship, this feels like a depression. Anyone has any updates on how this went on to become over the months?
Old 22nd May 2020, 22:58   #56
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by enigmatictech View Post
Just took the delivery of the car today and found this thread after googling the symptom, my ignis has just 100km on the odo, I find the the steering just stiffens up after 40kmph, it's like it's stuck in one direction. usually there must be 2 to 3 mm free play in steering for minute adjustments at high speed, but here it takes effort to get it out of it's stuck position and in the process I end overcompensating which is scary at high speeds. coming from a VW, Skoda owner ship, this feels like a depression. Anyone has any updates on how this went on to become over the months?
I don't drive the Ignis daily, but either I've gotten used to it or its actually got somewhat better. It isn't so depressing, but it is still a bit sticky i.e. doesn't center as well as one would like. Our Ignis is low run and has done only 7.5-8k kms in 2.3 years.
Old 18th August 2020, 02:05   #57
BHPian

Quote:

Here's some of my conclusion: -

- Given that 2017 and 2018 models had same steering, I don't see any manufacturing changes (new vendor, new parts etc).
- The demo cars are much different for their steering. So I guess every Ignis user will have better steering as they crunch more miles.
- There is certain subjectivity that I also had w.r.t. steering. A lot of users have mentioned 'light' or 'super light' in the forum. I believe I had a completely different take on the definition.
- But, at the very least, I know my steering doesn't has a manufacturing defect. Same as new Ignis and 2017 Ignis.
Hey, dad is also considering buying the new Ignis. Can you please update us with the present condition of the steering wheel? Has it improved or is it still the same like before?
Old 18th August 2020, 05:59   #58
BHPian

Quote:
I find the the steering just stiffens up after 40kmph, it's like it's stuck in one direction. usually there must be 2 to 3 mm free play in steering for minute adjustments at high speed, but here it takes effort to get it out of it's stuck position and in the process I end overcompensating which is scary at high speeds.
Are you referring to tram lining?

What’s the present tyre size? Stock?
Old 18th August 2020, 20:04   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBeast View Post
Hey, dad is also considering buying the new Ignis. Can you please update us with the present condition of the steering wheel? Has it improved or is it still the same like before?
Hi, it has not changed. We've clocked 14K Kms so far, still the same. That's what Maruti is giving in all their cars (except, maybe, SCross). Otherwise, Ignis, Swift, Ciaz etc all have the same steering system.
Old 18th August 2020, 20:07   #60
BHPian

Quote:
This is the EXACT problem I had (and have). Unfortunately, this is what Maruti is giving. Its stock and not a manufacturing defect. Takes away the driving element for an otherwise a very good car.

Most Viewed