Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th August 2020, 20:42   #61
BHPian

Re: Maruti Ignis: Steering too hard & my saga with Nexa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vibhanshu View Post
Hi, it has not changed. We've clocked 14K Kms so far, still the same. That's what Maruti is giving in all their cars (except, maybe, SCross). Otherwise, Ignis, Swift, Ciaz etc all have the same steering system.
Ok. We booked an Ignis AMT today and I test drove three different cars today, all of them had less than thousand kilometres on odo and non of them had any issues with respect to the steering. I guess Maruti has improved the overall system.
Old 18th August 2020, 21:25   #62
BANNED

As per my understanding, Maruti tune its all power steering systems like the Power Assist of EPS gets disabled once the car crosses the speed of 40 kmph. My SX4's EPS work like this. This is to improve the safety at high speeds & one of the advantage of Electronic Power Steering above Hydraulic Power Steering.

As far as the free play of steering is concerned, please check Steering damper assembly. It wont be faulty mostly as the car is new but it may be over tightened to avoid rattling under the floor.
The mechanic has to just slightly loosen the steering damper to get the required free play.

But you need to be attentive of noise under the floor after loosening the steering damper. If it is more loose then you will hear slight rattling under the floor while going above bumps & pothole. All in all, driver and mechanic has to find a sweet spot in this case to ensure correct steering feedback while avoiding the rattling.

Thanks.
Old 19th August 2020, 11:10   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLK View Post
I don't drive the Ignis daily, but either I've gotten used to it or its actually got somewhat better. It isn't so depressing, but it is still a bit sticky i.e. doesn't center as well as one would like. Our Ignis is low run and has done only 7.5-8k kms in 2.3 years.
Just sharing my inputs, we recently came across a as good as new sx4 with low mileage of 23k which a friend purchased, it had a sticky steering and to resolve this problem we greased the rack using MGP steering grease which comes in a 1 kg tub and is a SGP import.

Post using this the steering has become super smooth and centers back normally.

Suggest you get hold of this grease and do the same. I guess it should solve your issues.

Regards,
Manoj
Old 19th August 2020, 12:10   #64
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainBrijesh View Post
As per my understanding, Maruti tune its all power steering systems like the Power Assist of EPS gets disabled once the car crosses the speed of 40 kmph.
I too feel this is what the issue is, unless there is any other issue specific to that car.
I drive my mothers Ignis often and have not felt the issue with play. Yes, the re-centering of steering is not that ideal.
Old 19th August 2020, 13:01   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBeast View Post
Ok. We booked an Ignis AMT today and I test drove three different cars today, all of them had less than thousand kilometres on odo and non of them had any issues with respect to the steering. I guess Maruti has improved the overall system.
Hmm. Not necessarily. I've met a few Ignis owners. Drove their cars (manual, auto, petrol, diesel, all combinations).

Some of owners said, nothing is wrong is steering.
Some said, it's alright - not like Hyundai or Ford, but fine.

For me (and some of tbhp forums), it's the same problematic steering. Is it absolutely unliveable? Perhaps not. I've driven the car from Mumbai to Goa (coastal roads). Mumbai to Bengaluru. And various other trips (me and my wife, both drive) and have enjoyed the car. It's a mile muncher (surprisingly).

My point being - what you feel as okay, is very much possible that it's not for me and others and Maruti has not done anything.
Old 19th August 2020, 19:33   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoosetoCruze View Post
Are you referring to tram lining?

What’s the present tyre size? Stock?

Everything is still stock, sorry I could not update earlier, I have done close to 4k kms on the odo and things seem to be improving, that weird robotic movement has disappeared and to add to it the steering is also zeroing in after turns. It was a matter of running in the mechanicals. I enjoy the drives now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vibhanshu View Post
This is the EXACT problem I had (and have). Unfortunately, this is what Maruti is giving. Its stock and not a manufacturing defect. Takes away the driving element for an otherwise a very good car.
I Would recommend you give it some time and run it in for a few kms and see for yourselves, I would recommend against taking it up with the ASS as my experience goes they actually make it worse. most of them just wanna go home once the bell rings and in fact are even less knowledgeable than some customers themselves. sad but that is the truth.

Last edited by vb-saan : 19th August 2020 at 19:54. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Please use multi quote option when replying to multiple posts.
Old 20th August 2020, 10:25   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by enigmatictech View Post
I Would recommend you give it some time and run it in for a few kms and see for yourselves, I would recommend against taking it up with the ASS as my experience goes they actually make it worse. most of them just wanna go home once the bell rings and in fact are even less knowledgeable than some customers themselves. sad but that is the truth.
Yes. I bought the cars 2 years ago. Had the steering rack replaced. Chased Maruti for over 2 months. Escalated to Mr. Raman. Had 2 folks from R&D division meet me and they test drove the car.

All of it for Maruti to say, this is what it is (:shrug.

As for Maruti service center. They damaged the steering lock in the process (guy didnt know how to operate that). And entire service center was clueless.

Only good part was - the senior management at Maruti were serious about customer service (regional/national folks etc). Which was very encouraging.
Vibhanshu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2022, 12:25   #68
BHPian

Ignis steering is like a bad relationship from which you can't come out, so you make peace with it. I drove an Alto K10 before taking the Ignis. So all the imperfections of the budget car's steering is present in Ignis, which i have got used to. Never paid much attention to it all these years. Now it bothers me a bit that I have started paying attention and the result is i don't like the steering one bit. It feels slow to respond to inputs and there's lightness even in high speed. Alignment, balancing and rotation were done recently. Tyres are 175/65 R15 stock size with Continental UC6 rubber. Softer compound compared to stock Ecopia.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks