Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 2nd December 2018, 13:20   #1
BHPian

Maruti Ignis: Steering too hard & my saga with Nexa

Hi Everyone,

It's been a while and I'd like to share my experience with all about my experience with a brand new car. Apparently, it's a bad one and I hope others can stay careful and learn from it.

@Mods - didn't find a relevant thread, so pls feel free to merge with something else.

Car - Nexa Ignis Alpha AMT Petrol

Dealership - Automotive Manufacturers, Navi Mumbai

Car purchased - July 2018

About
We purchased this car about 4 months ago and it's been a series of incidents that the dealership, service center and the escalation - none of them have done anything.

Incident 1
Wrong info on RC Book. We received the RC book, but there was error in the address mentioned. We gave the RC book back to dealership for correction, but we haven't received it yet. 2+ months now. Even after follow ups, no info. That includes escalation to L4 as well.

Incident 2
Car number printed on the plate was wrong. I only realized it late. Weird.

Incident 3 - Steering, beginning of the horror story.
Within 7 days of delivery of the car we complained of hard steering. We test drove a demo vehicle and it was smooth. We were promised for the fix in the 1st service. We thought it was fine. I'll come back on this shortly.

Incident 4 - The 1st Service.
Car goes to service. Comes back with a damage! There was a dent on the front right fender. It was night so we didn't spot it. But the next day we called up and the dealership disagreed. After a lot of back and forth. They decided to fix the car.

Incident 5 - The Accident
The car had a small accident within our society and we gave it for repair.

- Delayed delivery by 3 days.
- The day car was delivered (late night, late again), the car was in horrible shape. Misaligned headlights, Damage on front bumper, white spots all over the car and more misalignments around body. We had to blast these guys and escalate the matter. After 2 hours of freak show the entire team and manager shows up at house and we make them fix everything.

So far, the L4 escalation, Pratik Bisht, promises to keep things in check for future. And promises for steering fix also.

Incident 6 - The Steering Saga
In the first service, they tightened up some bolts that made the steering better but was still hard. After escalation, they decided to do more diagnosis and figure out the issue.

1. The first step recommended by RTL (regional tech leader), Prashant, was to check damper settings. The Damper is a small unit that controls how hard or loose the rack needs to be. There is a way to check that. You open the rack, put the device on the pinion and read the torque that's being applied to make the pinion rotate. Anyways, the reading was lower that what's in the book. The mechanic calls up RTL he also is clueless. Either ways, he approves replacement under warranty.

Here's the funny part. Damper values:

As per manual - 1.5 to 1.8
Factory Rack - 0.07
New Rack - 2.0 to 2.5

Now the steering became double hard!!

2. I come the next weekend for further checks. I also had asked them to reconfirm the damper values from R&D (or wherever) and why it's higher in the new rack. No one has a clue!! Even today, no one has the answer.

3. Then the service center decided to exchange the steering column assembly from the demo car to inspect changes. This was yesterday. Guess what? They damaged the car lock system. Why? Because NO ONE KNOWS HOW TO DO THIS JOB. They damaged it because no one knows the procedure to open and close the steering column.

As of now - the car is parked in the service center, because the new steering lock needs to be ordered.

I call up the L4, Pratik, again and he's assured me the fix for all. I don't know how! According to him it's escalated to CEOs and Managers and what not.

The Manager - Sandeep (useless, false promises)
The Mechanic - Praful (arrogant, no knowledge, apparently Team Leader at service center).
The RTL - Prashant - Never bothered to talk to me despite the long escalation.
The Sales guy - Sunil. Clueless about my RC Book.

I had been going to the service center for 3 consecutive Saturdays and barely anything is moving.

I will be sending an email to higher authorities on this and see what's the response. The reality is that, Nexa is not delivering the premium experience that they promise. The quality is awful. And I regret buying a Maruti. I've been driving 2014 Fiesta and the only thing I replaced under warranty yet is a power window switch. I wanted the 2nd car to be a no-nonsense city car for wife - but hey! I am now in a lurch!

Warning to all BHPians, do not buy or get your vehicle serviced from Automotive Manufacturers, Navi Mumbai. They are careless and arrogant.

I'm reaching out to everyone, if someone can help me with contact/emails for higher authorities. It would be a lot of help.

PS: No update on my RC book still!

Thank you!

Here's the damaged car. Sitting at the service center.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Ignis: Steering too hard & my saga with Nexa-img20181201wa0004.jpg  

Last edited by Zappo : 5th December 2018 at 13:40. Reason: Please use a spellchecker before you make your next post. Also, keep your language civil, even if targeted at a 3rd party.
Vibhanshu is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2018, 13:54   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Horrible experience with Ignis at Nexa Navi Mumbai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vibhanshu View Post
Hi Everyone,

It's been a while and I'd like to share my experience with all about my experience with a brand new car. Apprently, it's a bad one and I hope others can stay careful and benefit from it

@Mods - didn't find a relevant thread, so pls feel free to merge with something else.

Here's the damaged car. Sitting at the service center.
Horrible experience, to say the least, from Premium channel of Maruti, i.e. NEXA. This looks like incompetence at all levels. Mods, I feel this deserves a new thread.

Last edited by AkMar : 2nd December 2018 at 13:56.
AkMar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2018, 12:58   #3
BHPian

Re: Horrible experience with Ignis at Nexa Navi Mumbai

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkMar View Post
Horrible experience, to say the least, from Premium channel of Maruti, i.e. NEXA. This looks like incompetence at all levels. Mods, I feel this deserves a new thread.
True! I also raised an official complaint yesterday. Received a call from the service center today morning, from Sandeep (manager), but he was basically apologizing. I told him to not apologize and start working on the issues and plan things better for quick resolution. Let's see.

I'll also be writing an email to authorities today. Will keep this thread updated.
Vibhanshu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2018, 09:47   #4
BHPian

Re: Maruti Ignis : Official Review

Update: -

I got a call from Nexa in the past couple of days.

- They're sending 2 officials on Saturday for checkup/fix.
- I again had to fight them for explaining me the plan and if other spare parts are ready, should there be a need. Seems to be in place. Let's see how that pans out.
- A guy from dealership called for the RC book and confirming me that he'll issue an official letter as well. Plus, the RC should be available by 11th. After that call, silence again. Need to shake them again.

Will keep posted on updates.
Old 5th December 2018, 12:06   #5
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Update: -

I got a call from Nexa in the past couple of days.

- They're sending 2 officials on Saturday for checkup/fix.
- I again had to fight them for explaining me the plan and if other spare parts are ready, should there be a need. Seems to be in place. Let's see how that pans out.
- A guy from dealership called for the RC book and confirming me that he'll issue an official letter as well. Plus, the RC should be available by 11th. After that call, silence again. Need to shake them again.

Will keep posted on updates.
I think they are putting adequate rigor around it. So please bear with them while keeping a check on things. Once in a while mechanical faults do crop up by a sheer dint of bad luck. As long as you have got the attentions of the right levels of authority and someone is in touch with you I am hoping it will work out fine in the end.

On the RC book thing, they have sought time till 11th you said. I am guessing that's 11th Dec. Let them work on it. You are still some way off the 11th Dec, right?

Patience is a key thing thing in dealing with sticky issues. I know, after 6 months of dilly dallying they must have run your patience dry. However, looks like you have now got the attention that you were looking for. So cheers to that.
Zappo is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th December 2018, 12:33   #6
BHPian

Re: My sad experiences with a new Maruti Ignis and Nexa, Navi Mumbai

Have you kept MSIL in loop? If not I suggest you to do so, you won't get any response from them, not even an acknowledgement but you will see action on ground level. No kidding, I am speaking from experience, they take complaints (emails) very seriously. I will repeat this again on Teambhp, MSIL had fined my SA for taking no action when my S-Cross was at the dealer workshop sitting dud for more than 24 hrs.

Having said that, this should have been solved at Dealer level. 6 months is unacceptable.
sinharishi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th December 2018, 15:21   #7
BHPian

Re: My sad experiences with a new Maruti Ignis and Nexa, Navi Mumbai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
I think they are putting adequate rigor around it. So please bear with them while keeping a check on things. Once in a while mechanical faults do crop up by a sheer dint of bad luck. As long as you have got the attentions of the right levels of authority and someone is in touch with you I am hoping it will work out fine in the end.

On the RC book thing, they have sought time till 11th you said. I am guessing that's 11th Dec. Let them work on it. You are still some way off the 11th Dec, right?

Patience is a key thing thing in dealing with sticky issues. I know, after 6 months of dilly dallying they must have run your patience dry. However, looks like you have now got the attention that you were looking for. So cheers to that.
Hi Zappo, you're right. But the RC being given on 11th is fine actually. But they promised for a written acknowledgement. Basically, saying that they have my RC and it's under correction, so that I have 1 document of explanation. My bad that I didn't highlight this point in my previous post.

It's more of frustration because steering systems are complex things and over engineered. Opening it so many times or fiddling with it may not be a good thing. So I guess I'm a bit scared also for future failures at bad time :-/

These guys do not tighten the bolts by torque specifications and do not replace bolts which have special sealants to lifelong tightness. The manual clearly says todo so. I'll have to make sure it's in place when they put everything back together.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinharishi View Post
Have you kept MSIL in loop? If not I suggest you to do so, you won't get any response from them, not even an acknowledgement but you will see action on ground level. No kidding, I am speaking from experience, they take complaints (emails) very seriously. I will repeat this again on Teambhp, MSIL had fined my SA for taking no action when my S-Cross was at the dealer workshop sitting dud for more than 24 hrs.

Having said that, this should have been solved at Dealer level. 6 months is unacceptable.
I did actually. Wrote an email (stinker) copying Maruti's Chairman and Director of R&D. You're right. That's the only reason things are moving.

Update: The manager also confirmed yesterday that damper settings (pinion torque) value should be same as manual and no changes have been advised by R&D. Will be interesting to see how they figure to why did a new rack had higher values? Faulty vendor? Faulty part? Will find out on Saturday.

Last edited by Vibhanshu : 5th December 2018 at 15:22. Reason: typo
Vibhanshu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th December 2018, 13:52   #8
BHPian

Hi Everyone, here's an update on the work that was done last Saturday for the steering issue.

Work done
- The lock was replaced (which was broken by service center).
- The steering rack was taken out and damper values were set according to the manual. Also, got the confirmation that the damper values hasn't changed by R&D team.

Result
The steering became slightly better. There is added smoothness and steering also returns back. The return ability is not 100%, but more like 50%-85% depending on speed, turn etc.

About the Sticky Feel
Unfortunately, the sticky feel is still there! It's less apparent at low speeds. But once you are out on long stretch and above 60 or 70 kmph and let's say you want to change direction or do correction in direction - that's when you realize that steering is not smooth and there's an internal friction. Perhaps "Stiction" is the right way to describe it. This gets very scary at high speeds, because you apply more force to steering and realize that you rotated too much and then you make corrections.

I also drove another brand new Ignis (same as mine, Alpha AMT) - and it was the same! Even the brand new Ignis cars are having this Stiction in their steering. Due to this, the Nexa team says that this behavior by design and I should expect the steering to be smoother after putting in some miles. How many miles? No one knows. Nexa team says they have checked everything and everything checks out by values etc. I can't argue here, but I'm very surprised by this.

There are 2 things possible:
- This problem doesn't exist with older models. That's why demo cars (with high mileage and older manufacturing) are smoother. So new cars have some part faulty?
- OR, what Nexa says is true that after putting in some miles, steering should be better.

More validations
I checked out other cars like New DZire and Brezza. Those new cars do not have this sticky feeling. It's just new Ignis which has this.

I also went ahead and installed a steering cover. Just incase this was subjective to me and perhaps the steering required more effort because there's no wrap to it and plastic slips (my Fiesta came with factory leather wrap). Didn't help, still the stickiness.

I do not have an answer to this. As a next step I'm reaching to further to Nexa higher authorities to get this answer from their R&D team. The team which designed Ignis. If they give the same answer, I guess I'll be fine (mental peace).

Requesting for help from Team-Bhp
Calling out all folks around Mumbai/Navi Mumbai, who own Ignis: if there is a meetup happening around soon, I would love to join and perhaps compare my car with other new or old Ignis. I would also get a chance to get feedback from others if my car's steering is any different than others.

I'll update this thread on what Nexa R&D has to say about it. And I thought Maruti had headache free cars.
Old 24th December 2018, 17:55   #9
BHPian

Hi all,

I got an update from Nexa. Even the head office has claimed that the steering behavior is normal! Everything being within measurable limits, so that's how it is.

I'm really shocked at the moment and wondering if I did a blunder buying Ignis.

Either ways, I'm not giving up right now. I'll be meeting some more senior professionals post new year and the seniors would be driving my car. Hopefully someone understands the problem.

I'm genuinely disheartened right now and regret purchasing this car. Didn't know it would go down this way. Hopefully the next meeting with Nexa should open up more conversations.

Will update everyone after the Nexa meeting.

Asking for Team-Bhp help again
If there is a meeting that's happening OR if it can be planned with Ignis users. This would be a big help. I'd love to get Ignis user's feedback on my car and I'll also get the opportunity to experience other Ignis cars.
Vibhanshu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th December 2018, 08:11   #10
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Maruti Ignis: Steering too hard & my saga with Nexa

Vibhanshu, am moving your complaint to a new thread. It deserves to be highlighted.
GTO is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 27th December 2018, 14:17   #11
BHPian

Thanks a lot GTO.

Update: Earlier today I got a call from Nexa. He said the "Factory Team" wants to test-drive my car The dates are not confirmed yet, but they are showing urgency. I'm traveling a next week (partially) so I'll be informed on when they actually arrive. I'm already feeling good about this. Talking to the factory guys should be an interesting discussion.

If any Ignis users have specific question about the car - please drop me a PM or post here. I'll bring it up with the team.

Also, Cyborg (Team-Bhpian) reached out to help me. BIG Thanks to him! We'll connect in Jan to compare our cars.

This should be interesting. Will be posting more updates as I go along.
Old 27th December 2018, 14:28   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi all,

I got an update from Nexa. Even the head office has claimed that the steering behavior is normal! Everything being within measurable limits, so that's how it is.
Can you post the wheel alignment readings of the car after the new steering was installed and wheel alignment was done?

Also, what are the tyre pressures you are maintaining?

Mod Note: Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting a full, long post inconveniences our mobile readers.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 27th December 2018 at 14:49.
Old 27th December 2018, 14:35   #13
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
He said the "Factory Team" wants to test-drive my car The dates are not confirmed yet, but they are showing urgency.
I too believe that is because a thread is on Team-BHP about this. And MUL hates negative publicity as long as it is not about their build quality.

Quote:
If any Ignis users have specific question about the car - please drop me a PM or post here. I'll bring it up with the team.
A PM would defeat the purpose of an open forum, won't it? Would request you and others to share things over here [unless its something personal].

Will wait for updates, all the best .
Old 27th December 2018, 15:09   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
Can you post the wheel alignment readings of the car after the new steering was installed and wheel alignment was done?

Also, what are the tyre pressures you are maintaining?
Yes, the wheel alignment was done. But I didn't note the values after. Assuming it would have been in the range. Given that only toe values are altered it should be in place because I don't see car going in either of the directions. But I can perhaps check (pull the records), next time I'm at the service center.

I maintain 32 on all tires.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
I too believe that is because a thread is on Team-BHP about this. And MUL hates negative publicity as long as it is not about their build quality.

A PM would defeat the purpose of an open forum, won't it? Would request you and others to share things over here [unless its something personal].

Will wait for updates, all the best .
Yes, also mentioned about posting here too. Nothing personal Absolutely! Will post/consolidate all the updates here. Thanks!
Old 27th December 2018, 15:42   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I maintain 32 on all tires
Vibhanshu, the company recommended pressures are 36 front and 32 rear. Do try that and post the feedback. 4 psi less than recommended may give a drag or sticky feeling too.

Happy to hear Maruti is actively looking into your issues after our superb forum has highlighted your problems and GTO moving it to a separate thread gives it a far better reach.

Hope this mess is resolved soonest.

Cheers
Cyborg is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed