Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th March 2008, 15:41   #16
BHPian

I get the feeling the glx body length is slightly smaller compared to the SLxi and SFXi. I had my SLxi parked behind a glxi and remember that the bonnet was smaller in size in the glxi. I may be wrong, though!
Old 18th March 2008, 16:33   #17
BHPian

Can somone Highlight or put specification of the variant Lancer GLi Petrol.

Its neithe a GLXi or SLXi or SFXi or LX .

I heard that it is a limited edition model that was available in 2003 (only someone correct me if i m worng )

following are the stock items that surely make it an different variant than any of the above.

Front/Side/Rear Skirts
Rear spoiler
13" Alloys
No Rear Windscreen defogger
No Dash Clock
1.5 L Petrol 4G15 engine

I tried checking alot of archives docs around but didnt get any hits in the indian context. I can see links only for AU and malaysain markets.

All the Lancer freaks/gurus please shed some lights.

Tried mailing HM to get some info. However was just too lazy to goto a A.S.S.

P.s. check my gallery. will be uplaoding pics in some time.
Old 18th March 2008, 16:34   #18
Team-BHP Support

There were 3 iterations of the lancer in india. The first model launched was the GLXi. They then introduced the SLXi and the SFXi. The SLXi had a different tail lamp design with additional reflectors, interior leather upholstery and 13" alloy wheels. The SFXi had a body kit all round, rear spoiler, 14" alloys, carbon fibre dash board finish, carbon fibre gear knob and 3 spoke wheel compared to the 4 spoke on the GLXi. The Gear knob was replaced with the standard knob after the first batch after a complaint from customers that it used to slip since it was a polished finish one. looked very cool. In between HM localised almost 80% of the car and reduced all spares costs. You could make out the difference between the assembled cars and the Indian ones by the instrument panel. The local ones had red dials with a large digital odeometer whereas the assembled ones had white dials with a small odometer.

After these models the Invex was introduced. The Invex had a different bonnet with a more pronounced crease and clear lens twin headlamps. It also had vertical chrome grill. At the rear they changed the boot lid design with one that had a kink or crease on it.

The LX model was introduced with the same grill and bonnet as the Invex but with single chamber clear headlamps. It also had a longer front bumper. This was the new SLXi model and had wooden inserts on the door pads and the steering wheel with full leather upholstery as well.

Currently the LX model has the vertical chrome grill with the clear lens headlamps and the short grill with a very cheap fog lamp insert.

I will add photos for all the models from home as y office firewall doesnt allow me to.
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2008, 17:21   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadf00t View Post

P.s. check my gallery. will be uploading pics in some time.

oops still a newbie. no pics in gallery for me.
Check the pics and Ah yes.. no leather seats.
Attached Thumbnails
Lancer sfx, slx and glx -- Body differences (If any?)-lancer1.jpg  

Lancer sfx, slx and glx -- Body differences (If any?)-lancer2.jpg  

Lancer sfx, slx and glx -- Body differences (If any?)-lancer3.jpg  

Lancer sfx, slx and glx -- Body differences (If any?)-lancer4.jpg  

Lancer sfx, slx and glx -- Body differences (If any?)-lancer5.jpg  

Old 18th March 2008, 19:53   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
There were 3 iterations of the lancer in india. The first model launched was the GLXi. They then introduced the SLXi and the SFXi.
That is largely the case.In 2003, HM also introduced the GLi which was a stripped down variant (no driver seat adjust, no power antenna, no music system, not the vertical chrome grill but the older one). So, when I bought my car, there was GL, GLX, SLX, SFX. Suffix 'i' for petrol and 'd' for diesel models.
BTW, one nice feature omitted in the current LX and also the Cedia are front map lamps which are really useful during night drives for just the right illumination w/o blinding the driver!

Regards,
Old 18th March 2008, 22:04   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlustindia View Post
I get the feeling the glx body length is slightly smaller compared to the SLxi and SFXi. I had my SLxi parked behind a glxi and remember that the bonnet was smaller in size in the glxi. I may be wrong, though!
In 2003 atleast, GL, GLX, SLX has same dimensions. I am not sure of the SFX (some older models had a broader front and rear bumper which would increase the dimensions)
Old 18th March 2008, 22:29   #22
BHPian

Quote:
The local ones had red dials with a large digital odeometer whereas the assembled ones had white dials with a small odometer.
I guess you meant to say the Imported ones had Red Needles with Digital ODO, The assembled ones made locally now by HM are the White Ones.

The Sport Version Offered a choice in terms of Leather or Sport Fabric complete with Inserts, It also has Sport Pedals and a Dead Pedal.

The Sport Version has a 5 spoked Alloy wheel, in comparision to 3 star shaped one in SLXi.

The Sport one came with Bosch Two Tone Horn, SLX came with Normal Horn.

The SLXi had a Rear Stop lamp, The SFXi has a Rear Spoiler with Integrated LED Stop Lamp.

Muffler Cutter was available on SFXi as Standard Fittment.
Old 4th August 2010, 21:01   #23
BHPian

Guys, from what year on did HM start manufacturing locally? My Lancer is a Jan 1999 model.

What are the telltale signs of a locally assembled model? My model has the clean boot with no additional reflectors. Only the triangular lamps are there. (I'm not really sure if the previous owner removed these, but there werent any signs of a part being present there.

The Speedo has a Small Digital ODO.

Tassem.
Old 4th August 2010, 21:38   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassem View Post
Guys, from what year on did HM start manufacturing locally? My Lancer is a Jan 1999 model.

What are the telltale signs of a locally assembled model? My model has the clean boot with no additional reflectors. Only the triangular lamps are there. (I'm not really sure if the previous owner removed these, but there werent any signs of a part being present there.

Tassem.
Tassem, your and mine are Direct imports, after 2003 the lancer manufacture was localized. The locally assembled ones are different when it comes to a lot of things, The QC was very bad at HM and they were the ones which put the lancers to the high maintenance category. Both our lancers came with Gas charged shocks, the new ones are oil filled retailing at 3k each, the gas charged ones are 3.5k but are never available, you might have to order and wait for ages. The left lowering arm is made locally so its 3.5k but the right ones are imported from japan so the price is 10k each. Your model and my model came with just 2 tail lights and no reflectors(personally i hate the reflector look). Any one who have ever asked me my openion about which lancer to go for, the answer is, go for a pre 2003 model, reason cheap and better. The maps are also different, the post 2003 models were for the millage cautious indians, My 10 year old is still better free revving than its later 2003 counterparts

Pramod
Old 5th August 2010, 12:09   #25
Senior - BHPian

I dont know how many remember but Mitsubishi also had a website where customers could custom make their lancers. One needed to register and configure the car. The company used to run a saturday shift once every month or two for those.
Old 5th August 2010, 21:25   #26
BHPian

@Pramod: That is really reassuring bro! I second you when it comes to the tail lights without reflectors. I love the clean look! It still doesnt look outdated!

I'm confused about the lowering arms though. How come they make only one side here?!

The worst change with the lancer as far as I care is the stupid boot with that garnish around the number plate. Somehow it makes the back look cheap!

@devarshi: I've heard of that. Mitsubishi's sold in Dubai still have that option. Its really good to have a personalised vehicle.

Tassem.
Old 7th August 2010, 01:26   #27
Senior - BHPian

I also have a question.

My OEm tyres were 175/65 R14 and the current lancers have 175/80R13. the difference is what is mostly permissible.

Does anybody know how HM has used two tyre sizes with a huge diameter difference?
Old 7th August 2010, 02:09   #28
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassem View Post

Tassem.
The dials in the instrument cluster were white for the initial pieces from Japan. Later on they were made locally and the colour changed to red. The digital odo meter like you mentioned was larger in the locally assembled ones. The dial is a sure shot way of determining whether the engine is a direct import one piece or a locally assembled one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by devarshi84 View Post
I also have a question.

My OEm tyres were 175/65 R14 and the current lancers have 175/80R13. the difference is what is mostly permissible.

Does anybody know how HM has used two tyre sizes with a huge diameter difference?
Your OEM tyres were 185/60-14 in the SFXi and not 175/65-14. Lancer can take a wide variety of sizes. So there's no fixed OEM tyre size. It depends on how they calibrated the odo and there is no way of knowing the right tyre size unless you verify the speedo error using gps or something.
Old 7th August 2010, 03:50   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devarshi84 View Post
I also have a question.

SFXi - 185/65R14; GC : 175mm
GLXi, SLXi - 175/80R13; GC : 185mm

So, for SFXi, the upgrades are 195/55R15 and 205/50R15
For others, upgrade sizes are 195/60R15 & 205/55R15

Anything wider than 195mm, affects acceleration/pull significantly...
Old 7th August 2010, 10:52   #30
Senior - BHPian

@Lancer rit: It was not 185/65. I upgraded it to 185/65 from 175/65.

Quote:
Your OEM tyres were 185/60-14 in the SFXi and not 175/65-14. Lancer can take a wide variety of sizes. So there's no fixed OEM tyre size. It depends on how they calibrated the odo and there is no way of knowing the right tyre size unless you verify the speedo error using gps or something.
They were definitely 175/65 MRF ZVTS. I just discarded an original tyre we had as spare.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks