Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th August 2010, 11:46   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassem View Post
@Pramod: That is really reassuring bro! I second you when it comes to the tail lights without reflectors. I love the clean look! It still doesnt look outdated!

I'm confused about the lowering arms though. How come they make only one side here?!

The made both but as the right side failed more they decided to import it.

Pramod
Old 7th August 2010, 11:53   #32
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by devarshi84 View Post
They were definitely 175/65 MRF ZVTS. I just discarded an original tyre we had as spare.
I have the original SFXi brochure from my old car with the huge poster of the yellow SFXi. The brochure mentions 185/60-14 and the SFXi came only with Potenza RE-88's. MRF ZVTS was offered way later when they came out with the face lift long bumper version and clear head lamps. I am dead sure of that. You tyres might have been swapped sometime is my guess. Take a look at the manual I think that mentions 185/60-14 as well.
Old 7th August 2010, 13:40   #33
Senior - BHPian

Mine is a new look sfxi with the waterfall grille (LE type) and the tyres were stock mrf zvts for sure. 175/65 R14

Looks like HM has been playing mix and match with the parts all this while.
Old 7th August 2010, 13:49   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Mine is a new look sfxi with the waterfall grille (LE type) and the tyres were stock mrf zvts for sure. 175/65 R14

Looks like HM has been playing mix and match with the parts all this while.
Bridgestone tyres didn't suit the suspension that well, so HM switched to MRF as told to me by dealer in 2003 when I bought my car. I had MRF ZV2K for my GLXi
Old 12th August 2010, 12:36   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
This is the only reason the ground clearance is bad. The specs on the HM site are incorrect for sure. The speedo error due to this tyre size is huge. It Shows a better mileage as well since the tyre is 5.33% too fast.

If you change to 185/65-14 the radius goes upto 298mm and the error is 7mm which is how you get the 175mm GC.
vid6639, I am totally impressed with your research on the Speedo error. Can you please elaborate on how the odo clocks each km? Does it simply count the revolutions of the drum? and is it the same method used by the speedo to show the correct speed?

Guys, this is heavy food for thought and a real techie discussion. I wonder if people are aware of this speed / milage deviation when they change their stock tyres. And are we to trust their FE figures then?

Another query ..... if I had a pre-2003 Lancers with majority imported parts, and if something fails, would it need the exact same imported part as replacement? or would it do with a localized part? I have been offered a black GLXi with just 43K on the odo. It's an April 2003 model available @ 2.3 lakhs. So I was a bit worried on the maintenance part though I don't mind blowing another 50K on restoration it that's enough.

Lancer gurus, please throw some light.
--------------------------------
warm regards
Chewbacca
Old 12th August 2010, 20:41   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have the original SFXi brochure from my old car with the huge poster of the yellow SFXi. The brochure mentions 185/60-14 and the SFXi came only with Potenza RE-88's. MRF ZVTS was offered way later when they came out with the face lift long bumper version and clear head lamps. I am dead sure of that. You tyres might have been swapped sometime is my guess. Take a look at the manual I think that mentions 185/60-14 as well.

100% Agree with you.. My SFXi came with 14"Rims and 185/60 Potenzas.
Old 12th August 2010, 21:55   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbacca View Post
vid6639, I am totally impressed with your research on the Speedo error. Can you please elaborate on how the odo clocks each km? Does it simply count the revolutions of the drum? and is it the same method used by the speedo to show the correct speed?

Guys, this is heavy food for thought and a real techie discussion. I wonder if people are aware of this speed / milage deviation when they change their stock tyres. And are we to trust their FE figures then?

Another query ..... if I had a pre-2003 Lancers with majority imported parts, and if something fails, would it need the exact same imported part as replacement? or would it do with a localized part? I have been offered a black GLXi with just 43K on the odo. It's an April 2003 model available @ 2.3 lakhs. So I was a bit worried on the maintenance part though I don't mind blowing another 50K on restoration it that's enough.

warm regards
Chewbacca

All petrol lancers have inter changeable parts except the 1.8 invex. I have a 2000 model lancer i have a choice of installing both mitsu and HM parts, maintaining this car is easy, i spend 3k / year for oil changes ext. They key to have low maintenance cost on a old car is to repair/replace only when extremely necessary.

Pramod
Old 12th August 2010, 23:31   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

warm regards
Chewbacca
No need to worry. My Lancer is bought in Apr 2003, has done 75k+ over 7+ years. The car is very well built, and parts long lasting. No rattles in my car. Suspension is still doing great despite some very bad roads I have driven in on long trips as well as speed mountains in BLR.
The build quality really went down for Lancers built a few years later when they launched the LX and tried to price down further.

Also many parts like headlamps, taillamps, indicators, mirrors, grills are available outside the A.S.S. - mainly imported from Taiwan. Unless you need to do accident repair where your radiator or condensor needs change, its quite ok - maybe not as cheap as a Accent.
Old 13th August 2010, 09:43   #39
Senior - BHPian

Don't trust the dealer and get the OEM parts from the market. That's one of the ways to go cheap and reliable. HM charges 860 for a set of four bosch plugs which nobody needs while NGS coppers are avaialbe for some 200+ for a set of four.

Same goes for Motul Synth oil too?

Own a 7 year old lancer that has just done 100,000 kms
Old 14th August 2010, 12:16   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
How much did you get Motul Xcess oil for outside ? At HM, I paid about ~3100 for 3.3l and thought this is kind of ok given synthetic oil prices in general ...
Old 14th August 2010, 12:24   #41
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Don't trust the dealer and get the OEM parts from the market. That's one of the ways to go cheap and reliable. HM charges 860 for a set of four bosch plugs which nobody needs while NGS coppers are avaialbe for some 200+ for a set of four.

Own a 7 year old lancer that has just done 100,000 kms
What's NGK copper? NGK part number for Lancer is BPR5ES-11. In the outside market the lowest prices I got was Rs.200/plug. HM was offering the same plugs for Rs.860. The Bosch from HM was only Rs. 500 for 4 plugs.

I had the car fitted with the NGK, specifically checked to be the made in Japan ones and not India.

Synth oil from HM is from Motul but I went for OWS. Price difference was marginal around Rs.100/litre.

If you have a good rappo with the dealer he usually tells you details on all the parts. I was always given the option of local parts and OE MMC parts.

Devarshi is your timing belt changed? 1,00,000kms is about time the timing belt and the pulley need to be changed. Pulley is available in 2 types as well and cost difference is huge local is 1.8K and OE from MMC Singapore made by NT bearings is 3.8K.
Old 15th August 2010, 00:14   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What's NGK copper? NGK part number for Lancer is BPR5ES-11. In the outside market the lowest prices I got was Rs.200/plug. HM was offering the same plugs for Rs.860. The Bosch from HM was only Rs. 500 for 4 plugs.

I had the car fitted with the NGK, specifically checked to be the made in Japan ones and not India.

Synth oil from HM is from Motul but I went for OWS. Price difference was marginal around Rs.100/litre.

If you have a good rappo with the dealer he usually tells you details on all the parts. I was always given the option of local parts and OE MMC parts.

Devarshi is your timing belt changed? 1,00,000kms is about time the timing belt and the pulley need to be changed. Pulley is available in 2 types as well and cost difference is huge local is 1.8K and OE from MMC Singapore made by NT bearings is 3.8K.
I was quoted the price for NGK by NGK India.I should've got the plugs from them which I didnt.

Yes my timing belt and pulley were changed with original spares. I didnt know about the OEM availability.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer_rit View Post
How much did you get Motul Xcess oil for outside ? At HM, I paid about ~3100 for 3.3l and thought this is kind of ok given synthetic oil prices in general ...
Got Motul X8100 for 975 while at the dealership it retails for 1175.

Last edited by devarshi84 : 15th August 2010 at 00:20.
Old 15th August 2010, 02:12   #43
BHPian

Quote:
In between HM localised almost 80% of the car and reduced all spares costs. You could make out the difference between the assembled cars and the Indian ones by the instrument panel. The local ones had red dials with a large digital odeometer whereas the assembled ones had white dials with a small odometer.
Does this look like the one you have in your assembled Lancer? My guess, you have white needles as well.

And can someone post the picture of the other variant of the Instrument cluster? the one with the red dial and large digital odometer?
-----------------------
warm regards
Chewbacca
Attached Thumbnails
Lancer sfx, slx and glx -- Body differences (If any?)-lancer_speedo.jpg  

Old 15th August 2010, 12:32   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Does this look like the one you have in your assembled Lancer? My guess, you have white needles as well.

And can someone post the picture of the other variant of the Instrument cluster? the one with the red dial and large digital odometer?
-----------------------
warm regards
Chewbacca
Mine is gray background and white dials minus the CF stickers, this must be a diesel lancers instrument cluster as my tacho has upto 8k RPM with redlining at 7K RPM.

Pramod
Old 15th August 2010, 12:55   #45
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Yup I had the white dials and smaller odo display screen. The red needles is made in India by Visteon I think. Don't remember.

ps: I sold my car earlier this year.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks