Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th June 2019, 07:24   #16
Senior - BHPian

re: Paint peeling off on a 3-year old Hyundai i20 Active. EDIT: Many more Hyundais affected

vinair, take the vehicle to Trend, he will clearly tell you the repainted body parts. He had helped me in 2014 when I faced a similar issue with my Skoda Rapid.
deehunk is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th June 2019, 14:12   #17
BANNED

re: Paint peeling off on a 3-year old Hyundai i20 Active. EDIT: Many more Hyundais affected

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinair View Post
My friend who owns a 3 year old i20 Active has been facing this strange issue of painting just peeling off! There is no impact or nothing! Small bubble started to form and then the paint just started to peel!
It’s time to update the wordings on the rear hatch glass from ‘drive home a relationship’ to ‘drive home a relationship that peels ’ . Sarcasm aside isn’t it so stupid of a technician to ‘peel it off’ saying it’s due to exposure to too much heat. I think Hyundai knows India’s climate conditions or do we need to move to a cold country after buying a Hyundai.
pavi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th June 2019, 14:21   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SideView View Post
I sincerely hope that your friend has not been sold a repainted accidental damaged vehicle. The horror stories that we keep hearing about. Was he facing any other unrelated issues or just paint?

Is the vehicle still under extended warranty?Do they cover paint related issues? Do involve the higher ups of hyundai as this is just ridiculous.
Exact thoughts that came into my mind too seeing the pictures. I hope the showroom or the seller did not sell him an repainted/redone vehicle, the color on the bonnet reminds me of the golden color i20.
Old 18th June 2019, 15:03   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR-71 View Post
The internet is littered with Hyundai paint peeling issue
The internet is littered with <put any manufacturer here> paint peeling issue. Simply google for it, and include any of the top 3 Germans if you want

Sorry for going off topic, but just wanted to correct a sensational post.
PearlJam is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 18th June 2019, 15:50   #20
BHPian

I have been parking my red i20 in the open for 4 years now. The paint is still good. No issues so far. Moreover, Trichy climate is hotter than Bangalore.

The entire width under the rear windshield is affected. So I am guessing some chemical residue after a car wash is the reason for this. The liquid dripping of the glass settling on the bodywork might have caused this.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 1st September 2019 at 12:10. Reason: typo
Old 18th June 2019, 16:16   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Obviously, if these panels have been re-painted that would be the most likely culprit. Something went wrong.

But then again, it is not unknown for original factory paint to start peeling sometimes even after years. It happened to us on one of my dad’s Audi’s, well over two years into ownership of that particular car.

In these cases it was a real Audi manufacturing fault and they gave the car a full respray for free.

The trick is to get either the manfacturere to own up or find a real authority on car paints to get your case going. In case of a manufacturing fault it would always be on a range of cars, very unlikely it would be one car. As suggested there are other cases apparently.

Good luck

Jeroen

Last edited by Jeroen : 18th June 2019 at 16:18.
Jeroen is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 18th June 2019, 18:31   #22
Senior - BHPian

Something is seriously wrong here. Looks like a case of the showroom repainting the car in a hurry. Factory paint won't peel off even if you park the car in the open for 10 years (it can fade, lose the gloss, even rust).
Or a case of certain step being missed out during painting in the factory. I would suggest to take it up with Hyundai for selling a defective product.

@Jaroen, it is possible for some kind of bubbles/blisters forming and small patches (when the bubbles get punctured) of paint coming off. But in this case you can peel the paint layer like a Dosa

Last edited by Vid6639 : 18th June 2019 at 20:15. Reason: minor typos
Guna is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th June 2019, 19:51   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gildarts View Post
The liquid dripping of the glass settling on the bodywork might have caused this.
Don't think that is the case as the bonnet is also affected.

We have an White i20 active in family, which is also 3 year old and parked everyday in an open parking. There are no complaints about the factory paint at all.

This can be a batch issue from Hyundai ( very unlikely but I remember quite a few 2009 Getz being riddled with Paint Bubbles) or just a poorly repainted vehicle at Dealership.

Take it up with Hyundai Officials, put this thread everywhere on social media. They will certainly prefer to fix/repaint this rather than such negative publicity.
Old 18th June 2019, 20:33   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinair View Post
My friend who owns a 3 year old i20 Active has been facing this strange issue of painting just peeling off! There is no impact or nothing! Small bubble started to form and then the paint just started to peel!
It screams a shoddy paint job.

All my car's have been parked on the road and seldom under cover. None of them suffered anything like this.

Paint fade? Yes.

Paint scratched? Yes.

Paint chipped? Yes.

Paint peeling off? No way!
Old 18th June 2019, 22:55   #25
BHPian

I experienced something similar with my Santro 5-6 years back.
It had met with an accident wherein the hood as well as the hatch door where repainted. The repair/paint work took place at Himgiri Hyundai Wazirpur.

An year later bubbles started showing up on the paint and one could easily peal off the paint just as in your case.
When i took this up with guys at Himgiri, they blamed it on the quality of water used to wash the car. However it were only the repainted panels which had developed these bubbles and had there been any issue with the quality of water, other panels or other cars in my house washed with the same water source would have also developed a similar issue.

They did not acknowledge the poor quality of the paint-job done and i had no options left but to get a repaint done elsewhere.
satyamkaushik is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th June 2019, 11:49   #26
BANNED

This looks like a dealer level cover-up to me. The body panels might have got damaged and the dealership staff have shoddily patched it up.

The damage to be covered up might have been some small patch on a bigger,non-swappable panel. The dealership staff might have had trouble in matching the paint hue. The spot might have stood out glaringly. To tide over this catastrophe, they had done a whole body paint job with meagre resources in a short time, probably from outside.

This might have happened on the eve of the time of delivery with some limitation that had had a bad effect on the quality of cover up.

This poorer paint quality had shown up after three years.

Take it up with Hyundai for a fresh coat.

Last edited by COMMUTER : 19th June 2019 at 12:16.
COMMUTER is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2019, 18:29   #27
Senior - BHPian

This surely merits a fresh paint job from Hyundai. Under no circumstances is this factory paint peeling off !! The dealer from whom you bought the car should be worried. Write a letter / email to Customer Service, should get you the desired result
Old 19th June 2019, 19:21   #28

I guess this is a manufacturing defect. the paint has not stuck to the primal. you can see that there are cracks to the primal, it could've been due to lack of elasticity.
Old 19th June 2019, 20:24   #29
BHPian

This could be a manufacturing defect.My cousins USA Jeep Grand Cherokee got recalled during an audit(entire batch) because it missed 1 step of a 5 step paint process.He was given a brand new vehicle in exchange after 6 months of ownership.This was around 2005 time-frame.All this was done proactively without the customer knowing there is an issue or symptom.
BeingHuman is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th June 2019, 05:32   #30
Senior - BHPian

I've personally been to Hyundai's plants and I've seen the meticulous of detail-oriented check they had for the paint coat.

It it was a batch of cars, I'm guessing we'd have seen a few more examples on social media if not TBHP.

The peeling is limited to the hood and hatch. I think this car probably had some damage in transit/stockyard and was painted off and sold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeingHuman View Post
This could be a manufacturing defect....
I love the USA for the customer protection laws they have. I'll consider it a victory if the OP gets a fresh coat of paint.
landcruiser123 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks