Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd August 2021, 13:17   #106
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Paint peeling off on a 3-year old Hyundai i20 Active. EDIT: Many more Hyundais affected

Spotted this today:

Paint peeling off on a 3-year old Hyundai i20 Active. EDIT: Many more Hyundais affected-20210803_123413.jpg
Leoshashi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st September 2021, 11:44   #107
BHPian

Re: Paint peeling off on a 3-year old Hyundai i20 Active. EDIT: Many more Hyundais affected

Spotted this i20 Active yesterday. Had similar paint peeling above rhs tail lamp as well.

Paint peeling off on a 3-year old Hyundai i20 Active. EDIT: Many more Hyundais affected-dsc_0103.jpg
JJay is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st September 2021, 19:25   #108
Distinguished - BHPian

Spotted another Creta today:

Paint peeling off on a 3-year old Hyundai i20 Active. EDIT: Many more Hyundais affected-20210921_165422.jpg
Old 21st September 2021, 19:31   #109
BHPian

I guess we should go ahead and add one more negative point in this thread: Pre-worshipped-car-week-buying-used-hyundai-creta.

"Substandard paint quality on all Hyundai Creta which came in white!".
JithinR is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st September 2021, 19:36   #110
anb
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JithinR View Post
I guess we should go ahead and add one more negative point in this thread: Pre-worshipped-car-week-buying-used-hyundai-creta.

"Substandard paint quality on all Hyundai Creta which came in white!".
It’s not just restricted to white colour. My cousin’s 2011 Hyundai i20 in blue colour has paint peeling issue.
anb is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th October 2021, 23:56   #111
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketscience View Post
So, this happened on my 2017 model Creta (1.6 SX Crdi White)

My dad noticed it today in our car and i really want advice from the community for the same, by no means i'am spending my own or my insurance's money to get this repainted.
To whosoever it may concern

I have finally resolved this issue and this is how my experience went :-

I called my Hyundai's dealership in Feb itself and my trusted guy there did not agree to this issue but referred me to his senior who straight off denied its existence and claimed these must be one off cases and after further confrontation that i have myself gathered more than 15-20 images in my nearby area in Delhi and the cases would be many fold in India he had no reply but they were very cordial and invited me to their dealership and promised to look into it.

I once again called my guy later and he said it is difficult as Hyundai at that time was taking 15-20 days to approve warranty claims and he said he has a similar case pending but he will anyways try to help out.

Fast forward 3-4 months after this and maybe before the second covid wave hit, I went to Hyundai's bodyshop to install my pollution sticker and decided to speak with their staff for this issue, the manager there closed his door (rather dramatically) and said i should go to the dealership and stay adamant and they will surely get it repainted but i should not name him.

Meanwhile, i noticed a very small peeling off spot starting to build on the bonnet too , it remained too small to notice but bothered me to the extent i was thinking of selling off the car or perhaps more sensibly having to get the entire car repainted which annoyed me to the core.

Now finally what really happened when i took the car to Hyundai, well this happened in September last week and i called my guy who said he had left the company, I quickly asked him to spill the beans and guide me how to tackle this, well he straightaway agreed this is very much an issue and Hyundai is quietly helping out in most cases and suppressing in some others, and that i should see the manager there if the advisors don't agree to it, I told him my car is out of warranty now (it is 4.5 years old) and he said they might still help and may charge some money to which i was still ok with. (It is better than nothing)

Anyways it went really smooth there, the advisor he referred to was no where near as humble, resourceful or active as he was but he still managed to call the warranty guy and made me meet their manager and they reluctantly but still assured me they would get the approval within a week or so and i can get my car repainted then, I did not mention my warranty status but showed them the bonnet too and they said this looks like an impact which i argued a bit and they took its picture too and said it was up to Hyundai now.

Well nobody called but when i called them after a week the advisor said he will check but then again no response, I called again and he said i should bring the car and they will take a week, I asked if they have the approval to which he very loosely and in a sort of uninterested manner replied yes. (While he did not seem like a bad guy personally but as a public dealing person and as an advisor his skills were the poorest of all the advisors i have come across), I again asked if he has the approval for both bonnet and the boot, he did not have an answer and well, I decided to just go there and talk.

There i was assured by their manager that they have approval for both the bonnet and the boot and they will get it done in 2-3 days time, that was a sigh of relief.

What followed was once again poor response and zero communication from the advisor, I left the car with them on Monday morning and by Tuesday afternoon they had still not transferred the car to their bodyshop to which i firmly said to the advisor is something a Tata dealership would do and not Hyundai and they need to hurry up, he then told me they will only repaint the portions the paint is peeling off from and not the entire panel also they will not treat the very minor 1-2 dents i have on them as Hyundai won't pay for this, well I told them i will pay for the dents and who in the world paints just the portions of a panel, even roadside guys don't do this, just connect me to the bodyshop and give me their number!

Their manager later assured the entire panels will be painted obviously and that the advisor has no idea, I asked him for the bodyshop's number too but he too failed to provide that.

I had to call both of them atleast 7-8 times to get anything done and for this the experience was rather poor and new to me, i have never been treated like this at any dealership, maybe since this is warranty work and they are getting nothing, i have no idea, this was rather unusual and surprising.

Anyways, I gave up on the dents getting repaired but surprisingly the bodyshop guy himself called me the next day and he has been much better at communication than the dealership/service center guys and regularly updated me and even sent pictures of the work on my request, he agreed to give an discount on their steep denting charges and ultimately waved off 50% and it worked out to be rather reasonable, ideally Hyundai should not blink before approving any minor jobs like this complimentary for the problems the customers have faced because of the poor paint and the fact they are keeping the car for 5-6 days without providing loaner car, but i was happy that atleast they agreed to paint without much fuss.

I got the car today and overall the paint quality is a a solid B, while i'am happy with how it looks and how perfectly they have matched the colour and it doesn't look repainted at all but they did not peel off the paint and the bodyshop advisor said this is what orders they have been given, I argued that if the rest of the paint underneath peels off so will their new paint they are doing on top but to no avail, they even applied primer to only the parts they dent repaired and where the paint had peeled off and not the entire panel and simply painted over it! Well lets see how it holds up but looks perfect as of today.

What they skimmed on is the closeup details, like the rear glass has paint sticking to its edges which screams repaint! I decided not to apply any chemicals or thinner there as it will inevitably spill to the painted portion of the boot and might spoil it once again! They ideally should have removed the rear glass to paint the panel.
In front too the edges of the bonnet near the wipers have somewhat of a rough finish but these things are noticeable when you look closely.

Overall anyone facing these issues should straightaway take their cars to Hyundai regardless of their warranty status, they seem to be providing goodwill warranty pretty much without a fuss, which is surprising since i have seen multiple threads on reddit and people in USA seem to be not getting any help from Hyundai (this is opposite to what one might expect) they seem to be only giving paint warranty till 3 years or 36k miles and have even won a class action suit against their customers, Hyundai India on the other hand seems better but get this, even 2019 model White Elantras are facing this issue which means they have still not resolved this.

The moderators should add a warning in every review to not buy a White Hyundai in any case , in all probability your paint will peel off too, i'am surprised Hyundai is getting away with this and still producing problematic white cars worldwide

Last edited by Rocketscience : 10th October 2021 at 00:04.
Rocketscience is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2022, 23:08   #112
BHPian

Please add my car to the list as well!!. It's a 2015 Elite i20, served me well for the 62000 km that I've driven it. Had paint peeling from the bonnet two years ago, and at the time I was unaware of this widespread issue. I got it repainted at a local FNG.
Soon after I came to know about this plaguing issue with the Hyundais, and now my rear is showing signs of paint just peeling off.
For now I'm just observing it, don't have the time nor the energy to argue with any ASS. I'll just get the area repainted when it stops peeling. As far as I know, this issue affects only the front and rear of these cars.

For what its worth, I'm still satisfied with my experience with this car, and my next car could very well be a Hyundai. It won't be white though!
Attached Thumbnails
Paint peeling off on a 3-year old Hyundai i20 Active. EDIT: Many more Hyundais affected-img_20220518_182048.jpg  

Vitruvius is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2022, 23:43   #113
BHPian

I sold my i20 just so few days back, but I never ever had this issue. The car used to be standing in an open parking exposed to the elements for all 7 years. There are other i20's and Cretas in my colony but haven't seen this on any car.
Is this a local problem caused by conditions not exactly in the control of the manufacturer.
Maverick1977 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2022, 16:55   #114
Distinguished - BHPian

Live spotting:

Paint peeling off on a 3-year old Hyundai i20 Active. EDIT: Many more Hyundais affected-20220611_124747.jpg
Old 16th November 2023, 00:07   #115
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick1977 View Post
I sold my i20 just so few days back, but I never ever had this issue. The car used to be standing in an open parking exposed to the elements for all 7 years. There are other i20's and Cretas in my colony but haven't seen this on any car.
Is this a local problem caused by conditions not exactly in the control of the manufacturer.
Suppose a manufacturer sells 10 lakh cars. Even if 99% of the cars have manufacturing defects, statistically there would be 10,000 cars (1% of 10L) that don't have defects. Even if a lucky 10,000 owners don't face any problems, it doesn't mean that the remaining 9.9 lakh aren't having issues.
Cresterk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2023, 22:07   #116
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitruvius View Post
For what its worth, I'm still satisfied with my experience with this car, and my next car could very well be a Hyundai. It won't be white though!
We have Alcazar Aug- 2021 that has run around 75000 Kms. Its a White Colour Car. But no signs of Paint Peeling, Touchwood.

I guess Hyundai has taken suitable action in the White Paint on the Latest Cars.
IndigoXLGrandDi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th December 2023, 16:19   #117
BHPian

White Hyundais facing the same paint problem in Australia

[
vinair is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th January 2024, 16:37   #118
Distinguished - BHPian

In Australia:

Hyundai owners angry over paint peeling problem.

Paint peeling off on a 3-year old Hyundai i20 Active. EDIT: Many more Hyundais affected-screenshot-20240115-163530.png

A group of Hyundai owners are joining forces to push the car brand into fixing a widespread issue in which paint is peeling off their vehicles – despite the cars being out of warranty.

A number of Hyundai models painted white – believed to have been made between 2010 and 2018 – have suffered from peeling paint, leading owners to join forces to pressure the South Korean company to act.

Link:
volkman10 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th January 2024, 16:56   #119
Distinguished - BHPian

Over last couple of weeks - I have seen a number of Hyundai Venue Facelifts with the chrome plating on their box pattern grilles peeled off in my office parking.

Is this observed elsewhere? Or these were induced by the tricky traffic conditions and part of town where my office is I wonder. But the cars didn't have any other "battle scars" to speak of.
Reinhard is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2024, 20:26   #120

Any innovative solutions for Chipping Paint On a 2015 Creta?

Hello Everyone,

I own a 2015 Creta SX+ (P) with original white paint. The paint on the hood however has started chipping off as shown in the pictures below (sorry for the quality)

Paint peeling off on a 3-year old Hyundai i20 Active. EDIT: Many more Hyundais affected-whatsapp-image-20240320-20.03.57-1.jpeg

Paint peeling off on a 3-year old Hyundai i20 Active. EDIT: Many more Hyundais affected-whatsapp-image-20240320-20.03.57.jpeg

Paint peeling off on a 3-year old Hyundai i20 Active. EDIT: Many more Hyundais affected-whatsapp-image-20240320-20.03.56-1.jpeg

Paint peeling off on a 3-year old Hyundai i20 Active. EDIT: Many more Hyundais affected-whatsapp-image-20240320-20.03.56.jpeg

I have in any case always wanted to make some changes to the colour or design of the car without having to go through the trouble of RC changes.

I understand that there are different types and qualities of Wraps available that might affect the pricing. However, before the wrapping is done, do they show a computerised representation of how it would look like once it's done? Is that possible? Are there places in Hyderabad/Bangalore who already have done it or where they can show different options on what it could look like on my Creta?

More importantly, do you any of you have any suggestions on what can be done to (a) cover up the chipped paint (b) jazzy up the car a bit to not just be looking at the white paint and instead have some designer stuff on it?

@Mods: Please post in the right forum or thread if there are chances for better responses

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks