Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th February 2007, 15:47   #31
BHPian

Disconnect the +terminal and then jumpstart.

You can jump start a MPFI car by simply disconnecting the +ve terminal from the battery. Remove the +ve terminal push the car and release the clutch in 2nd gear. Well i really dont know what damage this causes but one of my friends has a MPFI gypsy and we have done this on it a couple of times. If the terminal is connected the ECU will not let you start the car as it can sence low battery. Remember your car dose not need the battery to run it just needs it to start the car then the alternator takes care of the car and also charges the battery.
Old 14th October 2008, 19:18   #32

Well, I am facing similar situation :( I left the dashboard light on for two days and the car isnt starting. the remote lock, lights are working though. the windows are opening and closing very very slowly.

now; can I jump start my car using pulsar 200's battery and standard house wiring cables? (something as thick as JBL wiring)

tia
Old 14th October 2008, 20:04   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by booo View Post
Well, I am facing similar situation :( I left the dashboard light on for two days and the car isnt starting. the remote lock, lights are working though. the windows are opening and closing very very slowly.

now; can I jump start my car using pulsar 200's battery and standard house wiring cables? (something as thick as JBL wiring)

tia
Don't try that. Better call a helpline or remove the battery and give it for charging.
Old 14th October 2008, 20:04   #34
BHPian

This reminds me when I went to attend evening computer lab, I forgot to switch off headlight and when I came after one hour, I saw headlight was on but all left was candle like yellow dim light. Battery was completely drained. I called my mechanic, he came with a car battery and touched it with battery of my car. So you can start without jumper cables if you can take out battery from another car for a while. Just invert it so that same terminals touch each other and start the car.

I kept the battery on charge for two days (on my hand made charger) and its working just fine. So most probably you too don't need a new battery, just get it charged till it reaches correct gravity and voltage.
Old 14th October 2008, 20:27   #35
Team-BHP Support

Get a battery guy and ask him to bring a spare battery and jumper cables, this will cost Rs 50. Charge your battery or run the car for atleast 30-40 kms in day time with minimal accessory usage, and you will be fine if the battery is otherwise in good condition.

Absolute emergency push start in 2nd gear.
Old 14th October 2008, 21:11   #36
Senior - BHPian

this same thing happend with me once but i have battery charger as i have a light generetor which has self starter in it so i simply removed the gen. battery and hooked my car batery to it it was fine in couple of hours

go to a battery dealer ask him to give u a spare battery they have,

get it installed and leave your batery with them for charging
Old 14th October 2008, 21:43   #37
BHPian

Can Diesel Engines (CDRI) being push started ? If we happen to Push start for some reason , What needs to be done for the ECU ? Do we need to reprogram it ?
Old 20th October 2008, 14:53   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by booo View Post

tia
You can do this as I have tested it and it always works:
Remove the ground (-) negative wire from car battery (leave positive) and use a fully charged UPS battery which you can take out from your home computer UPS. This UPS battery is usually 12v 7AH (or 7.5AH). Make sure UPS battery is charged. Connect the positive of UPS battery to positive of car battery using jumper cable. Now tell any of your friend to be ready at driver seat with keys in ignition ON position. Touch the negative of UPS battery with the disconected black (ground) wire that we took out from car battery and tell your friend to start the car. Now as soon as the engine start remove the ground wire from UPS battery and put it back to negative terminal of car battery. If the car takes long to start in this procedure then keep a check on the temp. of UPS battery as it becomes hot within seconds.
Old 20th October 2008, 16:59   #39
BHPian

Of course you can push start a CRDI vehicle (inspite of having a low battery) if you push fast enough that the ECU gets enough current through the alternator. For your informtion, the ECU will only control the time and quantity for fuel injection. It has nothing to do with the starting system.
Old 20th October 2008, 21:15   #40
BANNED

I had a similar problem once ..I had left my headlights switched on and the battery was totally dead . SO I just pulled out my amplifier positive cable and cut it into 2 . I got my friends car so that I could jump start mine .

Thought of posting this , as it might help if someone does not have thick jump start cables . A word of caution though , since both the wires will be of the same colour pls check the positive terminal and the negative terminal befor you do make a contact .

also , I found that a mpfi car after it has been started ,the battery can be removed ..it does not stall or stop . .
Old 22nd October 2008, 08:58   #41
BHPian

Never ever try out such crazy experiments. You ll end up killing the lesser rated battery. Its a better idea to jump start with a battery of higher Ahr rating (equal at least) or wait patiently until you find time to charge it externally.
Old 22nd October 2008, 16:06   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hashim View Post
I called my mechanic, he came with a car battery and touched it with battery of my car. So you can start without jumper cables if you can take out battery from another car for a while. Just invert it so that same terminals touch each other and start the car.
This is the craziest jump starting technique I have ever heard or read. The other crazy push start technique I have heard is - they push a tractor up a small hillock and then they let it roll vroooooooooooooooom.
Old 22nd October 2008, 16:16   #43
Senior - BHPian

dont know if this relevant here...

In one of my friends NHC (2004 model), he once left the headlights on and came back to find the battery dead (He had a pretty battery). He called me to google the 'whitefield honda' service#. I called them and spoke to the emergency response guy. He told me, not to worry and just push the car in 2nd gear and release the clutch - (Push Start). It worked -- and I told my buddy to drive in high revs for at least 30-40 Kms.

Not sure what he understood - called me in next 4 hours and told me the battery is charged - but the clutch is fried. He was driving around ORR and shifting like crazy only to fry the clutch!! -

Moral of the story - 14K for clutch work + a new battery (of course)
Old 22nd October 2008, 16:34   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
dont know if this relevant here...

In one of my friends NHC (2004 model), he once left the headlights on and came back to find the battery dead (He had a pretty battery). He called me to google the 'whitefield honda' service#. I called them and spoke to the emergency response guy. He told me, not to worry and just push the car in 2nd gear and release the clutch - (Push Start). It worked -- and I told my buddy to drive in high revs for at least 30-40 Kms.

Not sure what he understood - called me in next 4 hours and told me the battery is charged - but the clutch is fried. He was driving around ORR and shifting like crazy only to fry the clutch!! -

Moral of the story - 14K for clutch work + a new battery (of course)

He could have simply driven the car for 5 kms on normal revs & had enough charge. Do not run aircon or headlights, drive in a gear lower than you normally would. This is enough to get the car to crank normally, PROVIDED your battery has enough battery water & no dead cells.

Cheers

Last edited by Ricky_63 : 22nd October 2008 at 16:38.
Old 22nd October 2008, 17:11   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky_63 View Post
He could have simply driven the car for 5 kms on normal revs & had enough charge.
This morning When I entered my car I noticed that my stereo was on, and I soon remembered that the car has not been unlocked for last 2 days. On Monday morning when it was cleaned, the cleaning dude must be listening to music and he failed to switch off the system, and after that the car was not unlocked.

And as I anticipated, it did not start. Got it pushed, drove it normally for 1 km, then let it idle for 5 minutes, and VOILA, it cranked normally. Then again let it idle for 2 minutes, revved it a bit and the battery if back to normal.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks