Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th February 2007, 07:06   #16
BANNED

Recently had a same fate on my brother's car having a Autocop security system. The Autocop is having a feature which auto locks the car after 1 minute if the front door is not opened after unlocking the car using the remote.

My younger cousin(10 years old) opened the rear door of the car using the remote lock and after opening the door, placed the remote on the car's seat. And after drinking some water, he forgot to take back the remote and just closed the rear side door. 1 minute has already passed by then and Autocop has locked the door with the remote inside.

Finally recovered the remote with the help of a mechanic who effortlessly removed the side window beadings !!!
Old 12th February 2007, 17:28   #17

has happened 3 times in last 4 years with m800.

First time at delhi airport, past midnight, when my bro came to receive me, he forgot to take the keys out. Approached parking wala bhaiyaa, and he removed beadings and unlocked it .. took him hardly a minute.

Second time, at new delhi railway station..again with my bro.. same thing, approached parking wala bhaiyaa, he called up chabiwala on his mobile who arrived in less then 10 minutes and opened it by making a duplicate key.

Third time, we had learnt the art of removing beading, so we managed to unlock it ourselves.
Old 12th February 2007, 18:51   #18
BHPian

my car has "3"sets of keys :

a) One that invariably gets locked in the car (no central or remote locking)

b) One in my wallet to get me out of situations like the above

c) One at home just in case I lost my wallet too
Old 13th February 2007, 10:11   #19
GTO
Team-BHP Support

We were locked out of our esteem once, due to the same autocop issue. Just broke the rear quarter glass and gained access.

Saved us a lot of headache and the rear glass was pretty cheap.
Old 13th February 2007, 13:05   #20
Team-BHP Support

For the indica a 12 inch scale does the job. Just slide it down the rubber beading near the door lock.
Old 13th February 2007, 13:48   #21
Senior - BHPian

There are various ways to open the car door.

Scenario 1: Key stuck inside, door locked, engine not running (most common)

Get hold of a scale. If that's not available and if you have a small metal number plate, use the number plate. If your number plate has been screwed in, you can use a one rupee coin or some other denomination to unscrew it ! Believe me it works. I couldn't get a screwdriver as I was stuck in some lonely place. Slide the number plate in the gap between the glass and the beading right on top of the door lock. In most cars the beading is flexible enough. Otherwise you can remove the beading and try. This works pretty well.

Scenario 2: Door locked, engine running.

In most cars, the moment the ignition is switched off the doors get unlocked. All you have to do is get underneath your car bonnet. You can unlock the car bonnet from there. Most of the mechanics know how to do it. I've not tried this myself but have seen mechanics do it twice to my car (matiz). Once the bonnet is open, you can pull the plug and get the engine to stop.

After my experiences, I've made sure that I carry the spare key on long trips. I give it to whoever is travelling with me and make sure they keep it in their pocket and not in their luggage. If I'm travelling alone I keep the spare key in my purse. These are just suggestions and I found them to work well for me.
Old 13th February 2007, 14:57   #22
Senior - BHPian

For the OHC & Santro a 12/24" scale does the job easily. One reason I've never been a fan of retro-fitted central locking systems is due to their shenanigans of auto-lock & unlock hence I stick to the factory fit systems only.
Old 13th February 2007, 15:13   #23
Senior - BHPian

Locking out with keys inside is not possible with my Petra. (Unless, you keep keys inside, centrally lock the doors, come out from the boot and then lock it up).

But, recently happened with my friend's 800. Removed quarter glass and opened the doors. Sweet and simple. 10 minutes job.
Old 13th February 2007, 15:21   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RX135 View Post
Locking out with keys inside is not possible with my Petra. (Unless, you keep keys inside, centrally lock the doors, come out from the boot and then lock it up).
It is also not possible on the OHC/NHC since the door locks won't budge if the door is open so only way to lock it is to close the door & use the key. But twice I've managed to lock the key in the trunk due to having lots of stuff in my hands, so had to use the scale trick to open her up.

Also I remember once this happened at a railway station parking lot so the attendant helped me open the car with a scale, he used so much force on the passenger side lock that a small plastic clip that holds the metal wire which locks & unlocks the door got broken so the door couldn't be unlocked via the key from outside. Now that night after a party at a close friend's house somehow we managed to also displace the plastic ring for the driver's door!! So in effect despite having the key in our hands we couldn't enter the car

I slept over at the friend's house & called Honda helpline in the morning who came to the house, unlocked the boot with the key, took out a metal wire which locks & unlocks the boot latch from the key hole. Then he removed the beading on the door, fished around with that twisted wire & pulled the wire of the door lock which resulted in it being opened!!! He fixed the driver's door there & then since the clip had only been misplaced so he put it back, but the passenger doors clip had to be replaced later since it had broken clean off!!

Last edited by iraghava : 13th February 2007 at 15:27. Reason: More information added
Old 13th February 2007, 15:21   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by csentil View Post
Once the bonnet is open, you can pull the plug and get the engine to stop.
What you've said will stop the engine all right but the ignition will be "ON"........besides not all cars have an unlock operation linked with the ignition.
Old 13th February 2007, 17:03   #26
Senior - BHPian

Probably you are right, however that solved my problem as the doors unlocked. Forgive my ignorance, probably the mechanic knew which plug to pull to cut the ignition off.

Yes, some of them are not linked to the ignition. So I guess one can just go back to the scale method.
Old 13th February 2007, 20:14   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by csentil View Post
Scenario 2: Door locked, engine running.

In most cars, the moment the ignition is switched off the doors get unlocked. All you have to do is get underneath your car bonnet. You can unlock the car bonnet from there.
Potential case of suicide i would say. rather kill the engine by blocking the exhaust pipe with your foot or something else.

alternatively try unlocking by using your mobile (if you have remote locking like autocop). There is a thread on this.
Old 13th February 2007, 22:24   #28
Team-BHP Support

somehwere back in the early 80s when I lived in a small town called East Fishkill (IBM was building a chip plant there) in NY...

I had finished work and driven to the tennis court. After changing I went to my car to put my suit in it (I was now in tennis shorts in 60 deg F weather without windchill factored in) and realised I had locked my self out.

So I went to the front desk of the tennis club (it just a tent with a portable heater) and called the police. they arrived and using a slim jim unlocked my car. I got into the car. The cops wanted to see my licence and registration and they sat in the car as well (since it was so cold). I gave them my registration and then they got out. I remembered I had forgotten to thank them so I rushed out and promptly losked my self out of the car again. when we looked for the slim jim we realised that one of the cops had accidently left it in my now locked car.

We spent the better part of an hour trying to unlock my car for the second time. At least the cops were dressed. I was in tennis shorts. I guess this was the first inkling I had of my impending senility.
navin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th February 2007, 14:57   #29
BHPian

When you or rather anyone can open a car in such situations then why do we need to spend money on Autocops ..

Last edited by navdeep : 14th February 2007 at 15:07.
Old 14th February 2007, 15:12   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
I remembered I had forgotten to thank them so I rushed out and promptly losked my self out of the car again. when we looked for the slim jim we realised that one of the cops had accidently left it in my now locked car.
How long did it take for backup to arrive in this emergency situation? Hope you had no long term effects from the biting cold.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks