Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th February 2007, 16:44   #31
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
How long did it take for backup to arrive in this emergency situation? Hope you had no long term effects from the biting cold.
No backups. these were the only 2 cops in the town. We had to unlock my car the hard way (using a wire hanger). as for the long term effects...i'd tell you but then I'd have to kill you.
Old 14th February 2007, 16:59   #32
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by navdeep View Post
When you or rather anyone can open a car in such situations then why do we need to spend money on Autocops ..
1.So that when somebody opens your car like this there is a siren. It gives a really nice and false sense of security
2. you don't need to check whether the passengers have locked their doors(this is in non central locking cars)
3. You don't need to insert key in door, just press a button
Old 14th February 2007, 17:43   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
No backups. these were the only 2 cops in the town. We had to unlock my car the hard way (using a wire hanger). as for the long term effects...i'd tell you but then I'd have to kill you.
Only 2 cops in the entire town? Manpower shortage is not only in our country eh? LOL

and the secret of the long term effects... is it worth dying for? my imagination is running wild.
Old 14th February 2007, 17:51   #34
BHPian

It happened to me once in case of my ALTO, and I was lucky for having been close to my house and managed to get the spare keys within 10 minutes.
Old 14th February 2007, 19:07   #35
BHPian

I recently accidentally locked my car (in UK) door with key inside!
Called RAC (rac.co.uk) and they came after 1 hour.
The chap placed 3 small travel pillow like bags on the door edge and then pumped them. That made the door bulge slightly. Then he inserted a steel wire thru the gap and opened the lock from inside!
Old 14th February 2007, 19:19   #36
BHPian

Never happened in my petra.
Happened twice in my M800, Sparekey in my wife's purse did the trick.
Old 14th February 2007, 20:48   #37
BHPian

Happened once a looong time ago in our beetle when i was a kid..

with me it happened twice in my baleno - the autolock feature did me in - once had to get a roadside mechanic to open the door with a scale and the second time was close to home so called dad to drop off the keys (of course - he was none too happy)

also happened to an ex-gf's friend at a theatre class - we got hold of a metal scale - ripped off the rubber beading of his matiz and after that it just took a few seconds to jiggle around and get it open

Last edited by zaphod : 14th February 2007 at 20:49.
Old 15th February 2007, 16:35   #38
Team-BHP Support

After going through the experiences on this thread, i believe the scale method works well when we have the locks on the top part of the doors, as is the case with most cars. However, in cars like the Ford ikon, the lever we use to open the door is the same one we use to lock the door. In such cases, what method can we rely on? Is breaking the rear quarter glass the only possible solution?
Old 27th December 2007, 14:02   #39
BHPian

Locked outside my Spark

Well, I too had the same experience today. Got up early morning in a very fresh state and it felt like I'll have a good day ahead. So got ready and started for office swaggering away to the parking lot humming the tune of the latest chart buster. Unlock the car, put my bag, wallet inside, give it a start (to warm it up a bit), slam the door close and go towards the gate to open it. Come back and . Car's locked with the key inside and the engine's running! (the same Autocop issue mentioned earlier in this thread) What's worse, the duplicate keys are locked inside an almirah, the keys to which are with my wife who has long ago left for office (some 20 kms away) and she has an important meeting to attend.

Tried to block the exhaust pipe to stop the engine - didnt' work. So I call up the service center. The guy comes after 45 mins and within 5 mins opens the boot by manipulating a few cables below the rear wheels.

Lessons learnt:-
1. Never forget the keys! If we have to leave it inside make sure it's safe and you have a way to get in.
2. Don't lock yourself out of your duplicate keys! I realised that in a bid to be safe I had made my duplicate keys inaccessible to myself also.
3. Always trust Murphy to show up when you get a feeling that things are going good.
Old 27th December 2007, 15:04   #40
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
We were locked out of our esteem once, due to the same autocop issue. Just broke the rear quarter glass and gained access.

Saved us a lot of headache and the rear glass was pretty cheap.

You are so lucky it did not happen to your Jeep.
there is no window to break, what would you have done then.

Old 27th December 2007, 20:23   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devnull View Post
The guy comes after 45 mins and within 5 mins opens the boot by manipulating a few cables below the rear wheels.
Is it that simple ? I mean, what if the thieves know of this ? They would have a field day, wouldn't they ?
Old 27th December 2007, 21:19   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedzak View Post
Happened umpteen times with different cars. All the time it was scales, other keys, small metal rods and in some cases, had to call service mechanics too.

Opel astra was funny when it was locked this way. The service guy imitated a crash type scenario by playing with the electronics in the front of the car and doors unlocked.

Worst??
Having the accord key in the boot and closing it. Was quite a hectic, sunny and tiring day and far from home too. The car didn't respond to any of the normal tricks and in the end it was second keys called upon. Yes, another reason for parents to stop getting the keys to that car again!
Well Zak im sure you haven't forgotten the most recent episode where your keys got locked in your Mivec Lancer in Bombay and that too with the engine running...courtesy yours truly. For details contact Zak.
Old 28th December 2007, 00:53   #43
BHPian

Locked myself out in my Mivec last week. No spare key, car didnt respond to normal central lock over ride funda also. Finally the friendly neighbourhood lock walla made a duplicate key ( read he picked the lock ). Now I have a fool proof plan for this. But if I told you I would lose my car
Old 28th December 2007, 18:03   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by toiingg View Post
Is it that simple ? I mean, what if the thieves know of this ? They would have a field day, wouldn't they ?
I too had the same fear and asked the mechanic about it. He said he has been doing this for quite some time because they have been trained by Chevrolet about the various tricks for various models. Although it looked like child's play to me, he assured me that it's impossible for a normal person to do it as there are some specific points in some specific cables to be tugged. But ya, still I'm not convinced and do consider it a threat if the car is parked in some unguarded place for long.
Old 20th March 2008, 11:06   #45
Senior - BHPian

What will you do if you locked the car with Key inside.

I happen to face this situation once. My Zen had a remote lock (Perana). I was talking to my friend in front of Popular showroom in chennai with the key left inside the car seat. Suddenly my friend daughter closed the door. Damn... It got locked automatically. I dont know what to do. Anyway, since I was just in front of Maruti showroom I checked with the guys. They said they need to open the front window to access the key.
Suddenly I had a flash
I remember reading that these remote security works in Radio frequancy and if we happen to face this situation, the article said to do as below,
1. Call your home (or other place where you have the duplicate key) on Mobile.
2. Ask your people to take the duplicate key.
3. This is important - Make sure the other person also uses Mobile to talk to you.
4. Now, ask them to press the unlock key in duplicate remote key and holding the mobile just next to the Key.
5. You keep your mobile near the hood.

There you go, I tried this and it REALLY worked . We all were surprised. (When I told this in beginning the service guy & my friend was laughing )

Anyway, just thought it would be useful to someone, and posting it here.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks