Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th December 2019, 10:27   #31
BHPian

Re: Upgrading the stock headlights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
Absolutely agree with all your points & I have done the conversion with Osram kit myself.

Just one doubt. I don't think we'll need to use a relay harness to install a 55W HID conversion kit. The stock halogen bulbs are already 55W and the wiring harness is made to support those. So a 55W HID also should work the same right? Only when we install an equipment that needs more power than original specifications would we need a relay harness to draw "cleaner" power from the battery directly.
HID's have a higher initial draw of power. Possibly around 6.5-7 Amps verses 4.5 Amps of traditional bulbs. I think that's where you need the relay.

I may be wrong.
Old 13th December 2019, 10:34   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samir Taheer View Post
HID's have a higher initial draw of power. Possibly around 6.5-7 Amps verses 4.5 Amps of traditional bulbs. I think that's where you need the relay.

I may be wrong.
No you are not wrong there - its true. The startup surge for HIDs is high. I tried 55W in stock wiring and it worked so I think the wiring is sufficient enough. Although - that tends to be true for Tata cars where wiring tends to be good. Maruti is doubtful. Hyundai also seems to give good stock wiring.
Old 13th December 2019, 10:46   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
Absolutely agree with all your points & I have done the conversion with Osram kit myself.

Just one doubt. I don't think we'll need to use a relay harness to install a 55W HID conversion kit. The stock halogen bulbs are already 55W and the wiring harness is made to support those. So a 55W HID also should work the same right? Only when we install an equipment that needs more power than original specifications would we need a relay harness to draw "cleaner" power from the battery directly.
Yes, I remember reading your posts and I admit that I learned quite a few things from you. You are absolutely correct in your thoughts that a 55W HID should have sufficient power when installed in an area that requires 55W halogens. However, these are electrical equipments we are talking about. Moreover, HIDs are way more sensitive to electrical fluctuations than halogen bulbs. For example, if someone turns on the headlamps first and then the engine, there are high chances of the HIDs going kaput if they had been installed without relays. So, to have some leeway of additional safety, I recommended the relays. Moreover, as you certainly know, HIDs cost way more and I think relays are a good and cheap way of protecting our investment.
Chhanda Das is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th December 2019, 10:47   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Don't HIDs have a startup time? As in they need sometime to reach full brightness. Halogen high beams are seen along with HID low beams, the passing beam is often halogen , I think there is good reason why the manufacturers do this set up!

HID perhaps is not the answer and a dangerous choice if there is only one reflector / projector for high & low beam.
Old 13th December 2019, 10:59   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samir Taheer View Post
We've used 100W and sometime ago 130W bulbs in our Gypsies, Estates, Pajeros, LC, Etc thru the ages with no problem's - No Fires, No Lens Destortion, No Flaking, Etc
===
I don't expect these LED's to work, but it's an experiment.
I must say you got really lucky through the ages but I would definitely not recommend anyone to follow your suit due to varying levels of build quality of the headlamp assembly. Regarding the legality of HIDs in a standard projector, it is very difficult to prove in a court of law that it is illegal merely on the basis of the bulbs being HIDs without considering wattage and light output as in these matters, the certificate of registration would be considered as sacrosanct and the certificate of registration on the Vaahan 4.0 website mentions the wattage only. You can thus see the basis of my suggestions as a law-abiding citizen of India ...
Chhanda Das is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th February 2020, 11:52   #36
BHPian

Hi gurus of lighting,

I own a global Fiesta and have always felt the need to upgrade my lights. In pitch dark conditions, the throw/spread is OK but as soon as there comes an oncoming vehicle, I can't see much on my side of the road.

I have been using Osram Nightbreakers for years now and though they improved the things, my problems have stayed more or less the same.
On using a 100W halogens with relays, done that with my old Swift and my father's old Baleno (the sedan). While the illumination was really good, and my Swift's headlights didn't get affected by the heat produced by the higher wattage bulbs, the Baleno's headlight glass cover got burned with time. Perhaps the glass cover in the Baleno's case used to be a little closer to the bulbs. If this is the reason, I can't use higher wattage bulbs in my Fiesta as I think the glass cover is even closer to the bulbs.

Now, I have options to go with:

1. Proper HID projector Bi-xenon setup retrofitted in the headlights. Costliest option INR ~30k. Moreover, I don't know what the risks are, though I will go with the best installers in the city, Evo. If you guys know a good installer in Bangalore, please guide me.
2. ID projector Bi-xenon setup in the fog lamps.
Pros > Cheaper than the above option INR ~18k, My headlights remain stock, so I still get Osram Nightbreakers' illumination.
Cons > Throw may not be as good as the first option.
3. Auxiliary lights. Evo has quoted around INR 30k for the whole thing. Will get details from them on which Hellas they are going to use. Again, please suggest me other good installers in Bangalore.
Pros > Should be cheaper than the first option, my headlamps stay stock, I would have lowbeam + highbeam + fog lamps + aux lamps = Max lumens collectively.
Cons > Looks, Vibrations and focus issues, becomes easy target in our B2B traffic.

I am confused. I first need to understand real distinction between projectors and Hella aux lights in terms of performance. Then I can move with a decision. Please help.

Last edited by Akshay1234 : 28th February 2020 at 12:18. Reason: editing spacing
itsashishsharma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th February 2020, 13:38   #37
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsashishsharma View Post
1. Proper HID projector Bi-xenon setup retrofitted in the headlights.

2. ID projector Bi-xenon setup in the fog lamps.

3. Auxiliary lights.
My honest take, if you can spend 30,000 and plan to keep the Fiesta for a longer duration, please get proper HID's.

I own a Creta and it's been around 30,000 kms after I did a DIY Retrofit on my car with Morimoto D2S 4.0 Stage III kit and night driving has been tension free. No issues, no condensation problems too.

As it was DIY, proper care was ensured (no shortcuts) in terms of wiring/process to be followed.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th February 2020, 14:11   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsashishsharma View Post
I am confused. I first need to understand real distinction between projectors and Hella aux lights in terms of performance. Then I can move with a decision. Please help.
Here's my comments after using aftermarket headlights for a decade.

1) Tension free upgrade would be to buy aftermarket projector headlights from any shop. I know it will be very hard to find one for Fiesta but maybe you can try some online stores. But you need to be very lucky to find a good setup. My swift's aftermarket kit was really good even though the HID's were some cheap Chinese make. Was really happy with it. But for my Ecosport, the projectors were not good in spite of running Osram HIDs. So you need to be lucky in finding a good make.

2) Another option is to retro fit projectors on to your existing headlights. Here, you need to find a very good installer. Go with a branded make (Morimoto) and the output will be excellent.

3) I wouldn't recommend spending a lot on adding projectors to the fogs. Throw won't be as good as headlights even though the spread will be good.

4) Aux - I personally don't like this setup. Spoils the clean look of the car and also don't be surprised to see one Aux light missing in the morning . Also, the cops don't like this, especially in Kerala.

Personal opinion - Try point number 2 since point 1 may be difficult.
naveen.raju is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2020, 18:14   #39
BHPian

Can we retrofit Bmw 5 series (F10) new shape Headlights (2014) to the old one (2012)?
Old 24th October 2022, 08:01   #40

Improving illumination on a Ford Ikon diesel.

Happy deepavali friends.
I am planning a long road trip from Pune to Varanasi in November 22 covering 4000 kms plus. I have stock OEM halogens on the Ford ikon TDCI. Yesterdy, while returning from Panchgani, wife found the headlights to be inadequate. Have heard 90 /100 halogens melt and yellows the headlight reflector and lens respectively.
With ikon spares getting scarce would appreciate a better halogen bulb or branded led solution without causing blinding to oncoming traffic.
What options do I have? 90/100 and a relay is the last option.
May be some dedicated 90 watts wide and long beam lights to replace the fog lights with a relay system?
Request all the knowledgeables to enlighten and suggest options.
TIA.
Old 24th October 2022, 14:47   #41
Senior - BHPian

Re: Improving illumination on a Ford Ikon diesel.

installing projectors in your foglamps is probably the way to go and yes your reflectors could be faded out. That apart, wearing the correct prescription glasses if they are needed (check) and changing your windscreen if it has accrued micro abrasions and swirl marks, will make the biggest difference.
IshaanIan is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks