Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th August 2020, 16:59   #136
BHPian

Re: Serious gearbox issue in my Kia Seltos DCT

Hi All

I have booked the Creta 1.4 Turbo SX(O) which i believe shares the DCT with the Seltos. Since this will be my first automatic, I been reading up a lot on “correctly” driving a car with DCT.

Most such articles stress upon applying full brakes at temporary stops to preserve the Gear box. My question is since this version of the Creta has the Auto-hold function, can’t it be used with the Gear in N at Temporary stops? Hyundai also has posted a video on YouTube on the right driving technique but it does not mention the Auto-Hold.

Last edited by Ashokkp : 16th August 2020 at 17:01.
Old 17th August 2020, 17:18   #137

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandygordon View Post
Day 7 Update

Kia has accepted a faulty gear actuator assembly and the part will be replaced under warranty.
They have placed the order and the service center is waiting for arrival of the same.
Hope it won't take an eternity to get my car back
I am not sure if anyone has asked/answered this already, but how likely is it that Sonet DCT shares the same gearbox?

My cousin is ready to pounce for this variant. Although my brain says the exact "same" can't be used, my heart skipped a beat when reading about this issue.

Last edited by shrinandiyer : 17th August 2020 at 17:22. Reason: Missed reading updates on all pages
shrinandiyer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2020, 18:58   #138
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrinandiyer View Post
Although my brain says the exact "same" can't be used, my heart skipped a beat when reading about this issue.
Why not? Exact same will be used as much as possible Manufacturers cant design a different transmission for every car and that too when the same engine is used. In all probability, even if changes are done, it will be done to the gear ratios, final drive, software while the rest of the things like construction, behaviour, internals will be shared. If the issue being discussed here is the faulty selector assembly, then I am afraid these are the fundamentals of the transmission and wont be changed unless KIA decides to revise the entire transmission. But coming to the issue in itself, I think these parts will be revised on a regular basis and if the problems are common, then the manufacturer would take care to resolve and revise the part.
audioholic is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th August 2020, 19:07   #139

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Why not? Exact same will be used as much as possible
====
But coming to the issue in itself, I think these parts will be revised on a regular basis and if the problems are common, then the manufacturer would take care to resolve and revise the part.

Which means my cousin can wait.

I'm just curious as to how much of a costly affair would it be for Kia to get a "reliable" DCT from ZF as replacement?
shrinandiyer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th November 2020, 20:49   #140

I noticed the exact same issue after almost a year since purchasing the Seltos DCT 1.4T Petrol. I am not sure if it was already there and it didn't trigger for me in city driving, but last week, I drive up to the mountains and I discovered this issue uphill and downhill, both. On both instances, I had to stop and restart the car for it to work normally.

Today, I sent my car for 3rd service and also spoke with the service head about this issue. The car got back after the service but they said that they couldn't find or replicate the issue. Which I am not surprised, since even I noticed it only during this drive to the mountains. So it's quite possible that it doesn't flare up in city driving.

Also, my car doesn't run a lot. It has barely done 2500 kms so far.

I'm looking for advice from this forum on what should I do next? If the service head isn't able to replicate or trace the issue, what's the option that I, as a customer, have?

Thanks in advance.

Quote:
I have been having a DCT issue for past few weeks. My car had this for three times in the past one month. The gear ratio gets stuck in D2 without upshifting when in normal mode. Initially, it failed to shift at all. For the last couple of times D2 shifts to D4 after revving to 3.5k RPM. Does not go through D3. Shifts back to D2 from D4 on slowing down. Does not shift down to D1.

The whole thing comes back to normal after restarting the car. This time I have taken a video of gears shifting from D2 to D4 without going through D3. Had shown to the service center. They checked it and said that it was a niggle with the code that prevents the odd gear-actuator from activating 1, 3 and 5 gears. They said that they have refreshed it and did not see any error on diagnostics. They asked me to get a video so that Kia can be contacted and a solution can be had. I have to take the car to the service station tomorrow.

Requesting tbhp expert opinion on this issue. How should I take it up with Kia?

The video url from Youtube is given below
https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=hq3T5KXehfE
Expecting responses from technical experts
praval is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th November 2020, 12:30   #141
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by praval View Post
I'm looking for advice from this forum on what should I do next? If the service head isn't able to replicate or trace the issue, what's the option that I, as a customer, have?
You should post in the Seltos thread to let the other owners & potential owners know about this unresolved fault with the DCT transmission.

Your best defence at this stage would be to make a video of the erratic behaviour, so that you have evidence incase Kia feigns ignorance or says this behaviour is normal.

Strive to get this fixed before your warranty expires as you don’t want to be stuck with a lemon, later. The Hyundai group is renowned for letting owners fend for themselves, post warranty.

As a worst case, if Kia refuses to acknowledge the issue, plan to get rid of the vehicle before the warranty period expires as I don’t know about you, but I wouldn’t want to spend sleepless nights wondering if the DCT will leave me stranded in the middle of no where, with a fat repair bill awaiting me without any warranty.
ChoosetoCruze is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2020, 13:03   #142
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by praval View Post
I noticed the exact same issue after almost a year since purchasing the Seltos DCT 1.4T Petrol. I am not sure if it was already there and it didn't trigger for me in city driving, but last week, I drive up to the mountains and I discovered this issue uphill and downhill, both. On both instances, I had to stop and restart the car for it to work normally.
Just to confirm - you saw gears skipping from 2 to 4 directly? Or did you just see delayed shifting (holding on to 2nd / 3rd gears until higher RPMs during uphill / downhill driving)?

The former is a bug, while the latter is normal behavior.
Old 25th November 2020, 19:39   #143

Quote:
Originally Posted by d3mon View Post
Just to confirm - you saw gears skipping from 2 to 4 directly? Or did you just see delayed shifting (holding on to 2nd / 3rd gears until higher RPMs during uphill / downhill driving)?

The former is a bug, while the latter is normal behavior.

It's a bug, as you said.
Old 19th March 2021, 12:27   #144
BHPian

Sorry for digging up an old thread, but information seems to be relevant. On a Creta DCT facebook group, a owner faced the exact same issue after 9400 kms, which OP faced and his car was one of the first ones delivered in May 2020, implying it would have been manufactured just before the lockdown in March 2020, just when the actuator of the OP was replaced. As both Creta and Seltos have same DCT unit and would probably be sourcing the unit from same supplier, it seems their is a mechanical issue with the actuator and it is not just a software issue.. Many other Creta DCT owners on Facebook groups report recieving calls from their dealers regarding TCU update as late as December 2020. It seems that Hyundai is aware of the fault with actuator assembly (two failures reported on Creta official review thread also) and is quietly updating the TCUs ( instead of formal recall) and when actuators eventually fail, replacing them.
Attached Thumbnails
Serious gearbox issue in my Kia Seltos DCT-screenshot_20210319120941.jpg  

Serious gearbox issue in my Kia Seltos DCT-screenshot_20210319120948.jpg  

SolidusSnake is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2021, 17:34   #145
BHPian

Hi Sandy, curious for an update since it's nearing one year after the incident, how has your transmission been doing?
amitwiz1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th March 2021, 00:47   #146
BHPian

Hyundai Kona DCT troubleshooting lays down the steps to take in case of gear skipping.
Attached Thumbnails
Serious gearbox issue in my Kia Seltos DCT-screenshot_20210329004524.jpg  

SolidusSnake is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th May 2021, 23:12   #147
BHPian

Late update
Have covered 28000km in total, almost 20000km after the problem
No further issues since the actuator assembly replacement.
After the latest dct update fuel efficiency has taken a dip. Else everything is going well. Only fly in the ointment is the poor performance on global ncap crash tests. This as well as the dct issue has really affected me emotionally that I can’t enjoy the drive to the fullest.
sandygordon is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 26th May 2021, 16:53   #148
BHPian

Quote:
Late update
Have covered 28000km in total, almost 20000km after the problem
Only fly in the ointment is the poor performance on global ncap crash tests. This as well as the dct issue has really affected me emotionally that I can’t enjoy the drive to the fullest.
Just came across the thread as I’m searching for just these sort to help with my decision to buy a Sonet GTX+ 7DCT. Good to know that your problem is solved.
Going off topic, isn’t 28K km enough to not give too much cred to NCAP ratings. All said and done in a market dominated by Maruti, the lie is in the telling. Don’t want to sound fatalistic but NCAP ratings is not going to save you / make you anymore vulnerable if your time is up. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
armumbai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2021, 13:04   #149
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by armumbai View Post
Just came across the thread as I’m searching for just these sort to help with my decision to buy a Sonet GTX+ 7DCT. Good to know that your problem is solved.
Going off topic, isn’t 28K km enough to not give too much cred to NCAP ratings. All said and done in a market dominated by Maruti, the lie is in the telling. Don’t want to sound fatalistic but NCAP ratings is not going to save you / make you anymore vulnerable if your time is up. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
That is bizarre logic. Just because one has been accident free for a certain period doesn’t guarantee the same in the future. One could drive a million kms and meet an accident the next day. By your logic there is no need to wear a helmet or seatbelt or even look before crossing the street as if your time is up or not is all that would determine your safety. If you like the Kia, go for it. It is a great vehicle but please accept that a 3 star rated vehicle would be less safe than a 5 star rated one. Of course the size of the vehicle also matters. So a 3 start rated bigger vehicle can prove as good as a lighter and smaller 5 start rated vehicle.
Lobogris is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 30th May 2021, 22:32   #150
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobogris View Post
That is bizarre logic. Just because one has been accident free for a certain period doesn’t guarantee the same in the future. One could drive a million kms and meet an accident the next day. By your logic there is no need to wear a helmet or seatbelt or even look before crossing the street as if your time is up or not is all that would determine your safety.
I admit to the bizarreness of the idea, but is a 5 star rated car definitely going to save one in all circumstances. I should think not. So you want to play the fortune wheel and take a chance with a higher probability safety number. That’s fair if there weren’t other factors at play in a buyer’s decision making process
I don’t agree to your analogy regarding not wearing a helmet or a seatbelt. It is not the same, that’s an act of false bravado and foolhardiness. Is buying a car with less than 5 star rating a similar act of foolhardiness. If so then the government should make it mandatory for all cars sold, to be 5 star rated the way they have made wearing helmets / seatbelts so
Can we examine the circumstances under which the extra 2 stars of safety ratings would come to our aid. Would the presence of 6 airbags even out that difference. I am not saying it would, just throwing that question open for all those in the know to answer
armumbai is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks