Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st May 2021, 12:10   #151
BHPian

Re: Serious gearbox issue in my Kia Seltos DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by armumbai View Post
I admit to the bizarreness of the idea, but is a 5 star rated car definitely going to save one in all circumstances. I should think not. So you want to play the fortune wheel and take a chance with a higher probability safety number. That’s fair if there weren’t other factors at play in a buyer’s decision making proces.
Can we examine the circumstances under which the extra 2 stars of safety ratings would come to our aid. Would the presence of 6 airbags even out that difference. I am not saying it would, just throwing that question open for all those in the know to answer
No car can save you in “all circumstances”. However, all things being equal, you are safer in a 5 star rated car vs. a 3 star rated one. What this means is that in a crash at say 60kmph you could receive moderate injuries in a 3 star vehicle whereas you would likely not be injured in a 5 star rated one. If the speed is increased to say 80, you would then receive moderate injuries in the 5 star rated vehicle and serious ones in the 3 star vehicle. If you crash at say 100kmph or against a really heavy vehicle like a truck then neither car is likely to save you. All you are doing is improving your chances. I already said it. Seltos is a great car. If you want to buy it, go for it. Just don’t argue that the 3 star rating is as good as a 5 star one. Having 6 airbags vs. 2 is definitely better and you are right, it can help balance the safety level vs. a 5 star rated vehicle to some extent. Even I love the Seltos. If I were not determined to get an EV, it would be near the top of my choices but I would hesitate due to the 3 star rating.

Last edited by Lobogris : 31st May 2021 at 12:12.
Lobogris is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2021, 14:36   #152
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobogris View Post
Just don’t argue that the 3 star rating is as good as a 5 star one. Having 6 airbags vs. 2 is definitely better and you are right, it can help balance the safety level vs. a 5 star rated vehicle to some extent. Even I love the Seltos. If I were not determined to get an EV, it would be near the top of my choices but I would hesitate due to the 3 star rating.
Without wanting to sound offensive I want to say that you’re stating the obvious. Of course 5 is better than 3 and 3 is better than none. There’s no argument about something as basic as that. For some, safety is the only cred and for others it’s just one amongst a host of others. I would believe that the second lot far outnumbers the first even after adequate due diligence. Personally the XUV300 would have been my top pick but it fails for having an AMT tranny, I’d pick that car in a trice but for that very important detail. The Nexon and Tata on the whole are too boring for me, I’ve owned an Indica for 6 years in the past. No enthusiasm to do Tata ever again. Plus for me personally the Nexon is a very ugly design, to me it has the elegance of a Warthog. If the EV range issue wasn’t a thing then and only then I’d consider the Nexon but that’s a huge elephant in the room. So where does that leave me, for all practical purposes with having to alter my driving traits to make the 3 stars work for me and to rest on destiny’s benevolence
Coming back to the original argument that is why I find the emphasis on NCAP ratings overstated. The Korean twins are routine trashed for their safety rating but their entire offerings package is just dismissed for that one factor. Their offerings are substantial compared to their competitors. In final analysis a car in these segments is stretch to the lowest price point of the luxury segments. One isn’t buying an utility truck but a value proposition. One has to be a bit more rational about the ratings issue is all that my submission is about.
Thanks a lot for your debate, I’ve enjoyed it would love to hear more if you feel like it
Old 27th February 2022, 11:45   #153
BHPian

Since this thread is idle, is it fair to assume that the issues are not seen in the newer vehicles and issues are resolved in the initial batches by replacing the gear actuator? I also do not see this issue reported for the Sonet.
Old 19th March 2022, 09:06   #154
BHPian

Bumping up this thread too.
About to book Carens DCT, need to check if the issue still exists?

And since I'll be driving in heavy traffic + north India heat , is it OK to go for DCT or manual ?
Old 19th March 2022, 10:45   #155
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptaneja View Post
About to book Carens DCT, need to check if the issue still exists?

And since I'll be driving in heavy traffic + north India heat , is it OK to go for DCT or manual ?
I'd never trust a DCT in India. Buy a reliable diesel + TC and save yourself a lot of headache (potential repairs + ease of driving.)
landcruiser123 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th April 2022, 08:59   #156
BHPian

The DCT woes and reliability concerns are the only reason why I am forced to consider Alcazar Petrol AT instead of the otherwise much superior package that Carens Petrol AT offers, that too for a few lakhs less.
Old 2nd July 2022, 16:36   #157
BHPian

Hi Guys,

My altroz dca has got some paint issue. Gave it to service center 2 times and finally they made it clean. Now the car is jerking like an amt and also the autopark lock feature introduced with DCA is not working. Tried for 30 minutes yesterday, and the car kept moving and fortunately I was able to jump in just in time.

My question is, having lost faith in TAMO quality, is it possible that my gearbox is replaced with a cheap gearbox like AMT from other Tata cars. I know this might sound silly, but being newbie to the car world, I want to know if this is possible.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks