Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 17th February 2009, 16:24   #16
SuperSyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
I have seen some cars fitted with a matt black dashboard covering which looks like its made of some cloth. Local accessory shops may help.
I have seen (what I believe) black velvet on the dashboard of a car. Not sure whether the owner used it to 'pimp my dashboard' or control the reflections. Or how effective it would be for the latter purpose.

Old 17th February 2009, 18:39   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Su-47 View Post
I am reviving this thread, as this is a problem that I face on my i10. And with beige interiors on many cars, thought this would be helpful to others as well.
Perils of beige mania going on with manufacturers in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by Su-47 View Post
Did you see this in BLR? Any pointers to where I can go and check it out. Driving the i10 on tree lined roads with sun shining on the dashboard drives me nuts.
Spar Hyper mall in koramangala 100 Feet road lots of goodies in Auto section.
Old 18th February 2009, 17:01   #18
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajitkommini View Post
I find polarised sunglasses help with this. (Ray-ban / Polaroid). Got myself a pair last week and there's a marked reduction in glare.
I use a pair of Polaroid sunglasses and they are really good in reduction of glare.
Old 18th February 2009, 17:16   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpa View Post
I use a pair of Polaroid sunglasses and they are really good in reduction of glare.
+1 here. Polaroid glasses totally cut out this glare.
Old 18th February 2009, 17:29   #20
BHPian

HOw aobut those antislip rubber mats? They should reduce the glare as a cheap option. Probably Ugly but may work.
Old 18th February 2009, 21:18   #21
BHPian

If you place anything on the dash area and leave it there permanently - it'll leave a mark on the dash since that area isnt being battered by the sun. If you're covering the dash - cover the WHOLE dash, not just a small portion.

Polarized glasses are awesome. I use them all the time.
Atlblkz06 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th February 2009, 22:43   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Have the same issue with my Aveo. Anyway detest beige interiors and especially beige dashboards! Have stopped polishing my dashboard because of that.

Am considering Polaroid lenses after the multiple endorsements on this thread :-)
Old 18th February 2009, 22:45   #23
BHPian

evenI want to know the solutionto this problem. Most of the windshield gets occupied by the dashboard's reflection in my Palio.
Also ,though I wear spects with antiglare coating, it is of no use.

looking for a cheap option.
Old 19th February 2009, 12:00   #24
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motionfreak View Post
Also, though I wear spects with antiglare coating, it is of no use.
The important thing to note is that you should have polarized lenses. Ordinary sunglasses with anti-glare coatings don't help.

Cheers,
gpa
Old 19th February 2009, 12:40   #25

Guys, I would suggest that the best way to reduce dashboard glare is Polaroid sunglasses. And to people who are wearing specs, I would suggest you to get a pair of polaroid glasses that you can wear over your regular specs. I do this and this helps a lot, though it would look a little odd, but then who is looking at us anyway, other than ourselves feeling that everyone is looking at us?
Old 19th February 2009, 16:43   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Poloroid is different from anti glare , Polaroid glass only allows light in a particular plane thus prevents scattered light.

A cheap solution would be to cover the dashboard with a cloth ( nin shiny dark color) that can absorb maximum light but if expense of getting dashboard covered is more then 2 - 2.5K Rs it would be cheaper to buy poloroid glasses
Old 26th February 2009, 23:00   #27
BHPian

poloroid glass
can they be made into powered glasses for spects (both eyes: -1), coz I wear spects. also how much do they cost?
Old 10th September 2009, 17:15   #28
BHPian

Has anybody used Dashboard cover for i10? A local accessory shop in BLR is charging about Rs 850 for : : MGT International : :. I am concerned with the looks if i put this cover and am otherwise inclined to have this to prevent the glare
Old 10th September 2009, 17:25   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suvi View Post
Has anybody used Dashboard cover for i10? A local accessory shop in BLR is charging about Rs 850 for : : MGT International : :. I am concerned with the looks if i put this cover and am otherwise inclined to have this to prevent the glare
Did you try contacting some of the seat cover makers like stanly / Ovi etc?
I saw a Toyota Corolla with leather / art leather dash in BLR which looked quite good.
Old 10th September 2009, 21:29   #30
Senior - BHPian

Cheapest Option

Quote:
evenI want to know the solutionto this problem. Most of the windshield gets occupied by the dashboard's reflection in my Palio.

I faced the same problem with those useless beige interiors. If you had noticed the the glare actually depends on the angle at which the sunlight strikes the windscreen.
Eg 1: When driving towards east during early morning 7-8 A.M - NOt much glare
Eg 2: When driving towards east during morning 10-11 A.M - the Glare is maximum, and vice versa in the evenings.

I put a 7" Matt Black sticker in my windscreen and whoa...The glare has reduced by 60%. I would'nt say its eliminated completely, it does help to the extent of one not getting irritated.

Of course Cost incurred : 150 INR

Most Viewed