Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th March 2007, 21:23   #1

Dashboard / Windshield Glare

I have a Ford Ikon. When I drive it in a direction, when sun is shining into me (not behind me), the front dashboard shines so much that the reflections appear in the front windshield. That prevents me from seeing vehicles in front of me. Thanks to cycle-wallas and pedestrians that go criss-cross all the time; they make my life tougher. Does anybody know how to solve the issue? Possibly, if the dashboard has a less shiny surface, the problem won't happen. But I don't know how to reduce the shini-ness of the dashboard - except covering it with some cloth that absorbs the light rather than reflecting. Any better way?

RK
rkkoul is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th March 2007, 10:45   #2
BHPian

yes even I would like to know if there is any better solution.
Old 17th March 2007, 11:07   #3
BHPian

I had faced the same problem.. beige dashboard.. and bright sun.

I just wear a polaroid glass now... end of problem.
Old 17th March 2007, 11:46   #4

I have asked the servicing guy to find an innovative solution to fix the glare issue. If he fixes it, I will let you know. He says he will try with some kind of polish, which will reduce the reflective-ness of the dashboard.

RK
Old 17th March 2007, 13:59   #5
Senior - BHPian

The best solution is "not to use dashboard polish" at all. I had this issue and rectified it by not polishing the dashboard at all. I instruct the service people not to. However you can polish it when it starts fading.
mail4ajo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2007, 15:15   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkkoul View Post
I have asked the servicing guy to find an innovative solution to fix the glare issue. If he fixes it, I will let you know. He says he will try with some kind of polish, which will reduce the reflective-ness of the dashboard.

RK
I think polish is the culprit. I face this problem everytime my palio comes from service. Then I just spend a good 15-20 mins getting rid of that shiny polish from my dash and the problem is solved. But, some cars have a shiny finish on the dash . The cheapest solution is get a cloth matching your dash colour, cut it to required size and simply place it on the dash (just drivers side is enough i guess) or stick it to the dash using a few pieces of double ended tape....
Old 18th March 2007, 19:59   #7
Senior - BHPian

Hi there,

Do you use any sun film on the front windscreen ? If yes then this problem will be a major issue. If not , the Ikon has a dashboard thats made of quite shiny material . It does dull with time though.

And yes , as advised by the rest do not use polish on the dashboard as it just adds to the shine.
Old 21st March 2007, 05:45   #8
BANNED

Yesterday, I've seen a dashboard mat which claims to reduce the dashboard glare and also helps to keep any objects on the dashboard so that it won't fall down due to the smoothness of the dashboard.

Cost : Rs. 200-300
Old 21st March 2007, 11:15   #9
BHPian

I find polarised sunglasses help with this. (Ray-ban / Polaroid). Got myself a pair last week and there's a marked reduction in glare.
ajitkommini is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2007, 11:23   #10
BHPian

That's correct. Polarized glasses do cut out the glare to a large extent. Also it'll be helpful not to put bright articles on the dashboard. Especially newspapers/caps/magazines.

Got a new pair of sunglasses last week - Polo Club for about Rs. 900
Old 21st March 2007, 11:33   #11
Team-BHP Support

I have seen some cars fitted with a matt black dashboard covering which looks like its made of some cloth. Local accessory shops may help.
And never polish your dashboard, and forbid the service center from doing so too.
Old 21st March 2007, 12:01   #12
Senior - BHPian

Has color of the dashboard got anything to do with this problem?
Is dark-colored dash board better than light-colored one?
Old 21st March 2007, 14:49   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
I dont think the colour of the dashboard has to do much with it but its the finish of the dashboard thats the culprit. Matt/rough finish dashboards should cause less problem that the ones which have a shiny finish
Old 17th February 2009, 14:16   #14
BHPian

I am reviving this thread, as this is a problem that I face on my i10. And with beige interiors on many cars, thought this would be helpful to others as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithun View Post
Yesterday, I've seen a dashboard mat which claims to reduce the dashboard glare and also helps to keep any objects on the dashboard so that it won't fall down due to the smoothness of the dashboard.
Cost : Rs. 200-300
Did you see this in BLR? Any pointers to where I can go and check it out. Driving the i10 on tree lined roads with sun shining on the dashboard drives me nuts.

Another option I am thinking of is to get a leather wrap done in some dark matt shade. But, that would probably mean that the dashboard would be opened and I want to avoid this *surgery* as much as possible. Can anyone help me assess hos much would such a procedure cost?

Cheers,
Su-47

Last edited by Su-47 : 17th February 2009 at 14:17.
Old 17th February 2009, 15:41   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post

actually it does..

the darker the colour, the less light is reflected off it.

black reflects the least light where as white reflects all frequencies of light.

if you manage [theoretically impossible] to get it perfectly black, then no light whatsoever will reflect off it.

I want to get a matt black finish for my dash board just for this reason.

Shekhar
Sprucegoose is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks