Search this Thread
Old 29th October 2012, 22:04   #76
BHPian

Re: Maintenance of Maruti Alto?

I visited the shopd today and found these options for alto front shockers:

Maruti MGP: Rs 2320
Gabriel : Rs 2500
Delphi : Rs 2600

any idea which one i should go for? The maruti MGP is from Maruti regional distributor so is definitely original. Other two are reputed auto shops but i will have to believe their word as i have never seen a shocker so wouldnt be able to judge.
And i was told labour for the same is around Rs 300-400. Is this okay?
Old 29th October 2012, 22:22   #77
Senior - BHPian

Gabriel and Delphi are both good shock absorbers. Provided both fit without any adjustments and are equal if not better, go for them. Any idea what brand the mgp one is
Old 29th October 2012, 23:17   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pganapathy View Post
Gabriel and Delphi are both good shock absorbers. Provided both fit without any adjustments and are equal if not better, go for them. Any idea what brand the mgp one is
thanks pganapathy, how can i know if they need adjustments or are a direct fit?
i guess they should be standard size for alto. No idea about the mgp make, will try and find out from the dealer and post here.
Old 30th October 2012, 01:44   #79
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by guptavis View Post
thanks pganapathy, how can i know if they need adjustments or are a direct fit?
i guess they should be standard size for alto. No idea about the mgp make, will try and find out from the dealer and post here.
As a rule of thumb they should be of a standard size and a direct fit. Just check with the mechanic or shop people.

Asked about brand of mgp, because most manufacturers do look at cost saving for oem parts, though a lot of them are willing to have better quality for spares. Also, what type of shock absorbers are the various brands.
pganapathy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th October 2012, 06:36   #80
Senior - BHPian

The Dealer, perhaps, is selling at MRP the Gabriel and Delphi ones. Better buy the MGP one from a dealership or MGP store.
Old 30th October 2012, 19:57   #81
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pganapathy View Post
As a rule of thumb they should be of a standard size and a direct fit. Just check with the mechanic or shop people.

Asked about brand of mgp, because most manufacturers do look at cost saving for oem parts, though a lot of them are willing to have better quality for spares. Also, what type of shock absorbers are the various brands.
will ask the make of MGP ones.
one dealer told me that all alto front shockers of every make are oil filled. at that time i believed it, but now i smell something fishy. Are the front shockers for alto gas filled?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
The Dealer, perhaps, is selling at MRP the Gabriel and Delphi ones. Better buy the MGP one from a dealership or MGP store.
The MGP is from Maruti distributor CM sales (having only MGP parts) and listed in my owner manual. He is charging print price which is same to the rupee as Maruti dealer (but dealer charges tax extra). Can this MGP be had for a discount in other shops?

the others are from different general automotive shops.
Old 30th October 2012, 20:18   #82
Senior - BHPian

^^^ What I meant was that the MGP part can be trusted and that doesn't mean that Gabriel and Delphi are bad. Since you are having a price advantage you can buy MGP with your eyes closed. As a bulk buyer Maruti perhaps, may be getting a lesser rate and a percentage of which may be getting passed on to the customer also.

Last edited by rajeev k : 30th October 2012 at 20:41.
Old 30th October 2012, 20:22   #83
Senior - BHPian

Hey there,

As per my knowledge as well, the Alto only gets the oil-filled front shocks, irrespective of the brand.

As for the make of the OEM, its not just one company. You would find that some are Monroe, some are Gabriel. I haven't heard of Delphi shocks being used as MGP. Also, when I had gotten my car's front shocks replaced, Delphi was having a bad time in the market due to problems in their shocks.

Therefore, stick to either MGP or get the Gabriel ones. The price is alright, maybe a little scope for about 100-150 bucks.

Quote:
will ask the make of MGP ones.
one dealer told me that all alto front shockers of every make are oil filled. at that time i believed it, but now i smell something fishy. Are the front shockers for alto gas filled?
blackfire_9 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th October 2012, 20:34   #84
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
^^^ What I meant was that the MGP part can be trusted and that doesn't mean that Gabriel and Delphi are bad. Since you are having a price advantage you can buy MGP with your eyes closed. As a bulk buyer Maruti perhaps, may be getting a lesser rate and a percentage of which may be getting passed to the customer.
thanks for clearing that.
i thought that Maruti branded ones would be more expensive than buying the same thing directly from the company as maruti would take some profit for themselves. though the bulk purchase argument could also be valid.
will go and check, if the MGP are gabriel then its definitely MGP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackfire_9 View Post
Hey there,

As per my knowledge as well, the Alto only gets the oil-filled front shocks, irrespective of the brand.

As for the make of the OEM, its not just one company. You would find that some are Monroe, some are Gabriel. I haven't heard of Delphi shocks being used as MGP. Also, when I had gotten my car's front shocks replaced, Delphi was having a bad time in the market due to problems in their shocks.

Therefore, stick to either MGP or get the Gabriel ones. The price is alright, maybe a little scope for about 100-150 bucks.
thanks blackfire_9, delphi is out of contention now. Its MGP or Gabriel.
Is there a way to find the make by looking at the MGP box? i dont think it will be clearly written " made by xyz" etc.

PS: by the way yesterday i mailed to Gabriel to ask about their dealer in the area, but havent got any reply yet. the links on their page dont work either.
http://www.gabrielindia.com/customer...nt-market.aspx

Last edited by guptavis : 30th October 2012 at 20:36.
Old 31st October 2012, 18:36   #85
Senior - BHPian

Hey there,

I don't think there is any way for an individual to know what make a particular stock of MGP shockers is, but I had got this information about the OEM suppliers through an industrial visit to the plant of the company that manufactures Monroe shockers.

As for contacting Gabriel, I also had a hard time reaching somebody from the company though eventually I did. Unfortunately, I have lost the contact details now. What I can help you with is the number of a local spare parts shop from where I make most purchases & he can probably assist you with a relevant person's contact number in Delhi, who can in turn direct you to somebody in Chandigarh.

By the way, have you tried at Manimajra? If yes, which shop?

Lastly, I believe you already saw this information on the website but still wanted to confirm:

Gabriel India Limited

29, Milestone Village Kuruli
Pune Nasik Highway
Taluk Khed,
Pune:- 410501
India

Phone: 09922908401 to 04

E-mail: contact@gabriel.co.in

OE - Domestic & Exports
E-mail: cs.subramanian@anandgroupindia.com

After Market - Domestic & Exports
E-mail: amitabh.srivastava@gabriel.co.in

Quote:

thanks blackfire_9, delphi is out of contention now. Its MGP or Gabriel.
Is there a way to find the make by looking at the MGP box? i dont think it will be clearly written " made by xyz" etc.

PS: by the way yesterday i mailed to Gabriel to ask about their dealer in the area, but havent got any reply yet. the links on their page dont work either.
http://www.gabrielindia.com/customer...nt-market.aspx

Last edited by blackfire_9 : 31st October 2012 at 18:40.
Old 2nd November 2012, 00:16   #86
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackfire_9 View Post
Hey there,

I don't think there is any way for an individual to know what make a particular stock of MGP shockers is, but I had got this information about the OEM suppliers through an industrial visit to the plant of the company that manufactures Monroe shockers.

As for contacting Gabriel, I also had a hard time reaching somebody from the company though eventually I did. Unfortunately, I have lost the contact details now. What I can help you with is the number of a local spare parts shop from where I make most purchases & he can probably assist you with a relevant person's contact number in Delhi, who can in turn direct you to somebody in Chandigarh.

By the way, have you tried at Manimajra? If yes, which shop?

Lastly, I believe you already saw this information on the website but still wanted to confirm:

Gabriel India Limited

29, Milestone Village Kuruli
Pune Nasik Highway
Taluk Khed,
Pune:- 410501
India

Phone: 09922908401 to 04

E-mail: contact@gabriel.co.in

OE - Domestic & Exports
E-mail: cs.subramanian@anandgroupindia.com

After Market - Domestic & Exports
E-mail: amitabh.srivastava@gabriel.co.in
thanks blackfire,
this amitabh srivastav is who i mailed and got a reply that a certain cs pant handles this area and will revert to me, but i have heard nothing after that.

manimajra was the first place i checked, the MGP is from CM sales mani majra and the Gabriel is from shivam motors mani majra, also tried a few others but they did not have any stock. any shop you would recommend ?
the Delphi was bombay motors sec28 chd, but have decided againt that.
Old 4th October 2019, 12:29   #87
BHPian

Hope this thread is still active.
I own a 2007 Alto 800 F8D clocked 93,600 kms. Have been using Shell 5W30/5W40 till date.
Today, My cousin took car to local shell for fuel fill. They checked the engine oil and recommended oil change. With out any notice, He opted for the Engine oil change and they used Shell Helix Hx8 0W20 Fully synthetic SN Plus.
Have gone through multiple threads in TeamBhp and found that 0w20 grade oils is recommended only for newer k-Series Engines.

Can someone assist me with the below questions..

1) Service Manual recommends 5w30. So, Will this 0W20 Fully synthetic make any harm to the engine ?
2) Shall i leave it as it is and change it in the next service interval after 5,000 kms ?
Old 4th October 2019, 12:56   #88
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ash22 View Post
Today, My cousin took car to local shell for fuel fill. They checked the engine oil and recommended oil change.
Shell is just looking to make quick buck with these gimmicks. My brother in law almost fell to this tactic an year ago when he was kind of a new driver. While at a shell bunk for a refill, they also checked his Xcent's engine oil and asked him to change it on spot. The oil was less than 4K kms run; still my BIL called me up for advice from there. Obviously, it was a 'no' from my side. They did tell him that this may result in engine damage before he left without the oil change

Quote:
Originally Posted by ash22 View Post
With out any notice, He opted for the Engine oil change and they used Shell Helix Hx8 0W20 Fully synthetic SN Plus.
Oil change is always a planned activity as you are expected to keep a track of the mileage so as to adhere to the oil change interval. If you were not around the change interval, then there was no need to change the oil. If you were nearing the 5K mark which is the ideal interval for your car on mineral oil, it is the basic rule to check the correct grade of oil.
0W-20 is definitely far from the recommended grade. Though I understand slight variations in grade and I do it myself too, but 0W is far little thinner than the required grade. My advice would be to not rev the car too much with this oil. The oil is thinner and hence may lack protection for your engine type, esp during high revs. Go easy during initial start ups too. You may notice higher engine noise and vibrations with this oil in your car.

Regards,
Saket
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2019, 14:57   #89
BHPian

Quote:
0W-20 is definitely far from the recommended grade. Though I understand slight variations in grade and I do it myself too, but 0W is far little thinner than the required grade. My advice would be to not rev the car too much with this oil. The oil is thinner and hence may lack protection for your engine type, esp during high revs. Go easy during initial start ups too. You may notice higher engine noise and vibrations with this oil in your car.
Thank you so much Saket77. Would take up your suggestion. I will stick with Synthetic 0W20 (Rs 2,900/3.5 Ltr) it for next 1000 odd kms with low rev and i will better change it back to the recommended one.
Old 22nd January 2021, 09:43   #90
BHPian

I have a 2007 (October model) Maruti Alto LXi which has clocked close to 116,500 kms as of January 22nd, 2021. The car is 13 years old and 3 months old and my car is due for service. I don't want to go to MASS for my yearly service and looks like I have misplaced the manual somewhere. If someone can let me know what all has to be done for this service interval, I would highly appreciate it. Thanks in advance!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks