Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th November 2020, 05:32   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Should I "EGR Delete" my Safari?. Need help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leorcid View Post
In short, all this company does is make some tall claims about the product, without substantiating anything. I say snake oil all over again.
Agree, completely nonsense. The silliest of their claims is about compression. Compression on any engine is fixed. Because it is directly and only related to the stroke and diameter of the piston. Nothing else.

I am getting tired of all these people claiming to have successful results without doing any proper measurements before and after.

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2020, 20:42   #32
BHPian

Re: Should I "EGR Delete" my Safari?. Need help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreeJiva View Post
(will post videos shortly)
As planned, completed the 20,000 km service today and tried the additive I mentioned earlier.
Drained a 100ml bottle into the warm engine.

Went for a 10 km drive to mix it in. I have a long drive to airport tomorrow. Will post if I notice any difference. As of now, the knocking when ridden in slow speeds with higher gear has reduced.
Attached Thumbnails
Should I "EGR Delete" my car?-img_20201123_185032.jpg  

Should I "EGR Delete" my car?-img_20201123_204030.jpg  

Old 25th November 2020, 06:05   #33

Re: Should I "EGR Delete" my car?

Regarding EGR delete/block, while being illegal, seeing the amount of soot clogging the manifold, I decided to see how it would feel if I removed it. I didn't want any permanent block or one that would require removal of bolts, so tried unplugging EGR control solenoid, and turbo stopped kicking, no CEL though. To tell the ECU that the EGR solenoid is connected, I put a relay across. There is no noticeable performance enhancement. Felt like engine heating up faster, though never exceeded limits. Reset to original condition because I believe turbo is linked to EGR and could end up blowing it.
Old 25th November 2020, 07:37   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Regarding EGR delete/block, while being illegal, seeing the amount of soot clogging the manifold, I decided to see how it would feel if I removed it. I didn't want any permanent block or one that would require removal of bolts, so tried unplugging EGR control solenoid, and turbo stopped kicking, no CEL though. To tell the ECU that the EGR solenoid is connected, I put a relay across. There is no noticeable performance enhancement. Felt like engine heating up faster, though never exceeded limits. Reset to original condition because I believe turbo is linked to EGR and could end up blowing it.
It's the engine going to limp mode because the EGR was disconnected.
EGR being disabled really doesn't lead to better performance, it is more to do with keeping the performance consistent from what it was when the car was new.
I don't think it has anything to do with the turbo.
Old 25th November 2020, 09:03   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
EGR being disabled really doesn't lead to better performance, it is more to do with keeping the performance consistent from what it was when the car was new.
It doesn't go into the limp mode, in limo, rpm is limited to 3000, this does go into limp mode if the MAF is disconnected.

Quote:
Also, turbo could be affected as it is all part of a tandem system, and absent the waste gate, turbo boost is controlled entirely by means of varying the inside geometry of the compressor, there could be a limitation and maybe some exhaust is routed through EGR to regulate it. I think it's connected because removal of EGR load from the system disables turbo boost.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 25th November 2020 at 10:00. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Please use the multi-quote button while quoting and replying to multiple posts at once. Thanks.
Old 25th November 2020, 09:33   #36
BANNED

Quote:
I think it's connected because removal of EGR load from the system disables turbo boost.
I don't think this is correct.

I have a Creta 1.6L CRDi, EGR was cleaned and deleted when the odometer was around 18,000 kms. Now the car is at 87,700 kms. No issues whatsoever since I have blanked it and also had remapped my car too. No issues with respect to boost and turbo functioning. May be placebo effect, but low-end is slightly better after blanking.

Had opened the intake manifold, intercooler at 70,000 kms to cross check and all was clean, no soot at all, just fine coating of oil was found.
a4anurag is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th November 2020, 10:04   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It doesn't go into the limp mode, in limo, rpm is limited to 3000, this does go into limp mode if the MAF is disconnected.
Mine goes into limp mode even if the vacuum pipe is disconnected to the EGR. (Ford Aspire)

Quote:
Also, turbo could be affected as it is all part of a tandem system, and absent the waste gate, turbo boost is controlled entirely by means of varying the inside geometry of the compressor, there could be a limitation and maybe some exhaust is routed through EGR to regulate it. I think it's connected because removal of EGR load from the system disables turbo boost.
Honestly, I don't think turbo boost can be disabled because of EGR was disconnected, I maybe wrong. Still think it is limp mode since rpms in my car is limited to before boost starts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
I don't think this is correct.

I have a Creta 1.6L CRDi, EGR was cleaned and deleted when the odometer was around 18,000 kms. Now the car is at 87,700 kms. No issues whatsoever since I have blanked it and also had remapped my car too. No issues with respect to boost and turbo functioning.
Same here, although I haven't run this much, but the engine is much smoother as it gets older.

Haven't come across/read about any issues with the turbo on the long run due to EGR blanking either.

Last edited by tharian : 25th November 2020 at 10:11.
Old 25th November 2020, 22:17   #38

Quote:
Mine goes into limp mode even if the vacuum pipe is disconnected to the EGR. (Ford Aspire)
In my case, it did not go limp, just no turbo kick. Turbo comes back when I load an inductor.
Old 16th December 2020, 11:43   #39
BHPian

CEL gone despite EGR still being blocked

My EGR is blocked with a thin aluminium blocking plate. Because of this, I have a check engine light. I was fine with it since I cross checked that it was the EGR indeed by removing the block, and the check engine light disappeared. And the car didn't go into limp mode when I had the block. I was running the car with the block in place, and the check engine light was ON. Suddenly yesterday I noticed that the check engine light has disappeared. What could be the reason for this?

No difference in performance noticed since the CEL went off.
Old 16th December 2020, 12:25   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: CEL gone despite EGR still being blocked

Quote:
Originally Posted by viXit View Post
. I was running the car with the block in place, and the check engine light was ON. Suddenly yesterday I noticed that the check engine light has disappeared. What could be the reason for this?

No difference in performance noticed since the CEL went off.
Perhaps the CEL indicator is burned out?
Old 16th December 2020, 12:28   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
Oh god, the possibilities. I hope it's just the ECU learning to live with it or something. IDK if they're that smart.
Old 16th December 2020, 12:35   #42
BANNED

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by viXit View Post
Oh god, the possibilities.
If the doubt of CEL could be burned out, for trial purpose, unplug the coupler of the MAF sensor. In 3 or 4 ignition on-off cycles, CEL should light up if it is working.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th December 2020, 15:12   #43
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Should be easy to check; when you turn on the ignition prior to starting the engine it should lit up!

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th June 2021, 00:23   #44
BHPian

cross-posting the link : 2015 Fortuner D4D's EGR cleaning video :

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offic...ml#post5088782 (Toyota Fortuner : Official Review)

regards,

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks