Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st May 2017, 11:53   #46
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Fortuner Horn not working

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice View Post
Haha!! Whatever gave you the impression that I'm still on the OEM? I've run through that a while ago and these are Hella Red Grills.
But no, it's doesn't seem to be the horn. The precise times it works and doesn't is dependent on the position of the steering wheel alone.
So you already have Hella onboard

If it IS the clock spring, then this is the part you need:

http://www.toyotapartsconnect.in/par...6FF9F59242BA48

You can check the compatibility chart right next to the red "Buy now" button. However, I would not consider this a user replaceable part mainly because of the air bag. Take the vehicle to a FNG or better still to a Toyota ASC.
R2D2 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th May 2017, 11:13   #47
Ice
BHPian

SOLVED : Fortuner Horn

So, I took it to Myles, the FNG on the Hennur Road. Mr. Mathews was very helpful and identified the problem as the Spiral Cable assembly. He scanned the ECU to ensure that the issue wasn't an indication of a larger problem, and then narrowed it down to this.

The cable cost me a pretty penny - nearly 15K to be exact. This, plus taxes, scanning charges, and his labour, took the bill to Rs.20k. But at least the issue's solved, and it's been done expeditiously.

Thanks to one and all here who advised me on the fix.
Old 23rd September 2017, 10:44   #48
Senior - BHPian

Re: Intermittently Silent Horn

Had similar problems with the horn of my i10 yesterday.
I was in bumper to bumper traffic for over an hour, and the horn just refused to sound (only click click noises from the steering) almost at the end of the traffic jam.
Only when I hit the empty roads did the horn start making the right noises (!).
I have been noticing 'kit kit' noises from the steering while making lock to lock turns for the last few weeks.
Is this something due to the clock spring? Or the contact points? or something else?
Old 23rd September 2017, 11:04   #49
Senior - BHPian

I too had a similar issue. In fact i even thought a flyover near my house to be haunted since in the initial days the issue surfaced only when I used to pass that certain flyover. The horns would start working a few 100 meters after crossing the flyover.

The issue turned out to a faulty horn. Replaced it and things are back to normal.
Old 25th September 2017, 00:22   #50
BHPian

Having a problem with the Nano horn. Sometimes it gives a deep low bass kind of sound. But it switches back to normal if I hit a particular spot - top right of the horn pad. ASS having tough time diagonosing since it behaves perfectly when they try out
Old 19th April 2018, 07:56   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kutts View Post
Having a problem with the Nano horn. Sometimes it gives a deep low bass kind of sound. But it switches back to normal if I hit a particular spot - top right of the horn pad. ASS having tough time diagonosing since it behaves perfectly when they try out
Open the horn pad, or the centre pad on the steering with a screw driver and drive the car.

When the problem appears you can check if the horn pad is making contact correctly.
Old 23rd December 2018, 10:18   #52
BHPian

Regarding the horn not working at particular steering angle on Toyota Fortuner, its related to the spiral cable going faulty under the steering cover.

Cross posting the same matter: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...eployment.html (Poor quality spiral cables used by Toyota India? It can affect airbag deployment)

Since the OEM cable is too costly (~15K), some are trying the AliExpress way, hoping to hear positive results

regards,
Pranav
Old 3rd January 2020, 14:28   #53
BHPian

Bumping into this old thread.
I have a strange problem with my car horn (Etios Liva Diesel). When I am driving mostly on clutch or when car is in idle state for long period of time, then horn does not work. It will start working only after I press A pedal. This issue has been there since very long time. Service center people could never understand the issue and hence even I have kind of ignored it so far. Could this issue be related to spiral cable issue in Toyota cars? Any Etios/Liva users facing similar problem?
Old 10th February 2023, 13:02   #54

Hello,

My horn does not work in the mornings but there seems to be nothing wrong with the battery or any of the other electrical systems. Surprisingly, the horn starts working again after 4 kms of driving. I took it to a 'Book My Car' garage and the service advisor confirmed there is nothing wrong with the unit or wiring.

Can someone please guide me on what could be wrong?

Thanks.
Old 10th February 2023, 13:21   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safety_Car View Post
Hello,

My horn does not work in the mornings but there seems to be nothing wrong with the battery or any of the other electrical systems. Surprisingly, the horn starts working again after 4 kms of driving. I took it to a 'Book My Car' garage and the service advisor confirmed there is nothing wrong with the unit or wiring.

Can someone please guide me on what could be wrong?

Thanks.
What make and model is the car?.
Old 10th February 2023, 17:57   #56
BHPian

A query regarding my Tata Manza stock horns.

Manza comes with dual tone horns. My car behaves weird and one of the horn goes silent. No certain situation but sometimes only high tone horn works and sometimes low tone and vice a versa.

Based on the issue, I think no wiring/fuse issues. What can be the reasons? Any pointers?

Thanks.
Old 10th February 2023, 18:43   #57
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pradipk View Post

Manza comes with dual tone horns. My car behaves weird and one of the horn goes silent. No certain situation but sometimes only high tone horn works and sometimes low tone and vice a versa.

Based on the issue, I think no wiring/fuse issues. What can be the reasons? Any pointers?

Thanks.
Difficult to say without the wiring diagrams.

For starters, you can try replacing the horn relay with a new one
sagarpadaki is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 13th February 2023, 09:06   #58

Hi, it's a Ford Figo, petrol, Titanium, 2013 model
Old 13th February 2023, 09:09   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safety_Car View Post
Hello,

Update:

The situation is getting worse and the horn doesnt work even after driving for 6 kms in the morning. But once it starts, there is no problem with it. Same story in the evenings.
Old 13th February 2023, 09:51   #60
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pradipk View Post

Thanks.
Disconnect the couplers and get rid of any corrosion on the contact points on both the horns once and check. If issue persists, next thing to troubleshoot will be the relay.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks