Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd March 2021, 17:03   #46
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Engine Failure | Hyundai Creta Diesel AT | EDIT: Hyundai offers discount & resolves matter amicably

Quote:
Originally Posted by anukritbhargava View Post
Terrible news on your Creta, OP. Being a Creta owner myself, I’ll admit I’m scared of facing such an issue myself.
To the more experienced folk here, is an engine flush something that the ASC can carry out without authorisation from me? Is it part of standard service procedures? Checking the manual as we speak, but would be grateful if someone more knowledgeable about this could help.
No, an engine flush is normally not carried out but they may claim it is recommended by Hyundai or some other excuse to fool the customer and charge for it. Please make sure you instruct them never to use a flush in your engine in case you have a high mileage vehicle. Just keep changing oil regularly as per the manual and your engine will remain healthy.

Sometimes when I think of the OPs predicament I begin to wonder if it was a stress fracture/failure in one of the parts. To quote:

Quote:
The engine suddenly started vibrating and there was a metal clunking sound which got loud
Of late, Hyundai India hasn't been exactly wowing the world with its quality.

Last edited by R2D2 : 3rd March 2021 at 17:13. Reason: typo
R2D2 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2021, 17:45   #47
BHPian

re: Engine Failure | Hyundai Creta Diesel AT | EDIT: Hyundai offers discount & resolves matter amicably

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post

Perception again.

In India too they are among the best, you can take a look at vehicle dependability study as well as Initial quality study, Hyundai is at the top.

I am not dissing on Hyundai, but after owning multiple Hyundai vehicles over the years, I think I have a fair idea of how these studies are done. For example, after a service, the service center feedback call asks you to choose 10 for best/excellent, 9 for good and anything below that as poor. Wouldn't such an approach skew any studies? Because that is how they submit their customer satisfaction reports as well. It's not only about perception.

Last edited by akp666 : 3rd March 2021 at 17:47.
akp666 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2021, 17:51   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevGin View Post
Unfortunately it’s too late to know, if during the last oil change, they observed any metal shavings when draining the old oil. Were there any engine starting issues now and again before taking it for the service?

I have seen the way they change oil now-a days. No mechanic looks into the oil, which is drained directly from the engine into a barrel using a very long funnel placed right below the sump drain plug.

All in all, a regular short service or changing engine oil, oil filter, air filter and cabin filter is completed in 20 min or less, once the car is on the lift.

PS: I have observed these timings in both Maruti and Honda service centers and while the efficiency looks good, I miss the old draining the oil into a open container and the discussion with the mechanic on the quality of the drained oil, its viscosity (checked by taking a drop between 2 fingers and seeing how much the oil stays linked between the fingers as they are separated.) the color (brown, dark brown, black....) and the quantity.

Now it is a checklist and ticking off items one by one, with no passion involved.
Sigh.... end of rant.
Ravi Parwan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2021, 18:20   #49
~~h
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sid_deb View Post
Also one can find Toyotas running just like new even after 3-5Lakh kms but rarely a Hyundai
Not true.

You can find so many of those examples here in Singapore. Majority of taxis are Hyundai i40/ Sonata (earlier) with CRDI engines. Quite a lot of them surpass million kilometers without a rebuild. In fact you can get into any random taxi and look at the ODO to see it hovering above 400k KM; its such a common sight. Yes, the roads are better here but the weather is very tropical like in a South Indian state.

Last edited by ~~h : 3rd March 2021 at 18:22. Reason: fixed a typo
~~h is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2021, 18:28   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anukritbhargava View Post
Terrible news on your Creta, OP. Being a Creta owner myself, I’ll admit I’m scared of facing such an issue myself.

To the more experienced folk here, is an engine flush something that the ASC can carry out without authorisation from me? Is it part of standard service procedures? Checking the manual as we speak, but would be grateful if someone more knowledgeable about this could help.
Ideally, an ASC cannot carry out anything unless you tell them to. But, what they do is -
1. Inspect the vehicle and take photos
2. While taking photos and handing you your SD cards, they will start talking about work to be done, oil / filters.
3. They will write it all down in a doctors lingo and ask you to sign. Once you sign, you probably missed out the suspension lubrication, engine flush (hyundai calls it service pro) and more skimming tactics.
And there are some centres that won’t ask you and just carry on with the work.

I had an experience similar to this thread at the same dealership! (Engine flushed without asking)

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...o-hyundai.html (Malwa Hyundai's charges - What is "service pro" from Hyundai?)

Ideally, they shouldn’t charge or do work without asking you but, they do it and expect you to pay. For example, one of my friends petrol verna went in for. 30K service and the bill amount came to be 19K because of all kinds of add ons added by using the sign trick. He just asked for a dry cleaning and was charged for alot of miscellaneous items.

Whatever you do, always check what is written and then sign and take a photo. Service in India is pathetic. Also, a good idea is always to stick to the bare minimum service requirements recommended by the manufacturer. (Except or air and cabin filters). When it comes to car servicing, less is usually more!
Schneller is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2021, 19:41   #51
rkw
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjunrudra View Post
Dear All,

I am narrating my story which happened last Friday ,26th Feb, 2021
Thanks in advance.
I feel you should bring this to the notice of Hyundai Motors. Let them do an analysis. Engine failure all of a sudden is not common. Especially as the vehicle was serviced recently, any indication leading to such catastrophic failure should have been diagnosed. I suspect something amiss during the latest service. Even if not, you should try to leverage the situation of getting regular services done at ASC. This should come to your advantage.
Old 3rd March 2021, 19:45   #52
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravi Parwan View Post
PS: I have observed these timings in both Maruti and Honda service centers and while the efficiency looks good, I miss the old draining the oil into a open container and the discussion with the mechanic on the quality of the drained oil, its viscosity (checked by taking a drop between 2 fingers and seeing how much the oil stays linked between the fingers as they are separated.) the color (brown, dark brown, black....) and the quantity.
Sorry, but the notion that you can check oil by rubbing it between fingers and looking at it etc, is just a myth when it comes to all modern lub oil Many, many mechanics practiced it but it is just not possible. perhaps fifty years ago on non multigrade mineral base oil.

You could say that if there is anything that could be felt, you are way, way, way passed the normal oil life.

The only way to check is to have it properly analysed in a lab with a gas chronograph and or similar techniques. There is no way you can tell what the status is of the various dopes. If you can feel metal it is already too late. What you want to see on the lab report are minute specific quantities and the permissible deviations tend to be quite small too. Way to small to see, feel or smell. If you can you have BIG problems!

In general if you stick to the manufactured recommended oil change intervals and stick to the manufactured recommended oil specification, no matter what the internet will tell you, but feeling, smelling old oil is really not relevant.

Jeroen

Last edited by Jeroen : 3rd March 2021 at 19:47.
Jeroen is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2021, 20:14   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
Sorry, but the notion that you can check oil by rubbing it between fingers and looking at it etc, is just a myth when it comes to all modern lub oil Many, many mechanics practiced it but it is just not possible. perhaps fifty years ago on non multigrade mineral base oil.
Jeroen
I know Jeroen, that is irrelevant in today's day and age, but 30 years ago, it was still practiced by the old school FNGs I used.

The point I was making was that earlier the mechanics used to look at the oil coming out and actually infer about the state of the engine based on the rule of thumb or whatever you want to call it.

Nobody in today's ASS will look at the oil to see if it contains any metal shavings or anything else, unless the customer complaints of abnormal behaviour from the vehicle. Many a times it is too late, but still can help avoid you stranded on the side of the road.
Ravi Parwan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2021, 20:25   #54
BHPian

I am late to this discussion but nevertheless I stumbled upon this video. This man talks about how Engine oil flush can kill a perfectly fine, high mileage diesel engine by blocking the passages through which oil circulates inside. The Hyundai i20 shown in this video also had an abrupt engine failure while on the move and was serviced recently(Ditto your case). The head of the engine was running dry due to oil starvation and as a result, it seized up. Please check if the service center used engine oil flush.

Moral of the story in this video is that if you have a diesel car, use engine oil flush every 20,000 kilometers and if you don't use it, no harm done. If your car has done even 40,000 kilometres, just make SURE that the service guys don't use it.

Last edited by DriverNo.420 : 3rd March 2021 at 20:28.
DriverNo.420 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2021, 22:58   #55
BHPian

Metal clunking sound could be broken piston ring. No wonder they advised half engine change.

IMO, if timing chain had broken, engine would have lost power instantly but this was not happened.
Old 3rd March 2021, 23:33   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by beast_within View Post
Since all the four wheels and steering are in working condition, you can get it carefully pulled through a Bolero or similar vehicle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac187 View Post
I see in your DP that you have a jeep, find a trailer and a driver with experience in towing, this can be done at much cheaper cost.
AFAIK the Hyundai owners manual warns against towing auto transmission equipped cars at speeds greater than 20 kmph (or so) or for long distances.
This would probably cause transmission overheat due to high speed/distance involved and no heat dissipation because engine/radiator is non functional.
Taha Mir is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2021, 23:53   #57
Distinguished - BHPian

Found this from the ford endeavour thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi_gupta76 View Post
The Turbocharger and 2 connecting rod bottom end bearings were damaged due to a disintegrated lub oil filter.
This led to choking of the lub oil passage and low pressure.
Engine has been boxed up with a new turbocharger, new con rod bottom end bearings and piston rings for all units.
Kosfactor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th March 2021, 10:15   #58
Senior - BHPian

Hi guys,

I finally got some pics and updates from Hyundai Davangare.

They told me its regular wear and tear and also one of the pistons did not get oil as one of the artery had failed.

I dont know what to make of the pics so I am sending attaching the pics here.

They have also given me a split of all the individual components for replacement. You would also see in the same sheet that instead of getting the individual components , its cheaper by approx. 15k to get the half engine assembly.

The thing I fail to understand is, how can a well maintained, less stressed, periodically serviced Hyundai fail like this.

What should I do ? Write to Hyundai and ask for further explanation and replacement ?

Kindly help.
Attached Thumbnails
Engine Failure | Hyundai Creta Diesel AT | EDIT: Hyundai offers discount & resolves matter amicably-0eb46b314c1d4981ae1dc670aff6ca7b.jpg  

Engine Failure | Hyundai Creta Diesel AT | EDIT: Hyundai offers discount & resolves matter amicably-1ff6a2cbc0a54f75b64d9cb401c01a3e.jpg  

Engine Failure | Hyundai Creta Diesel AT | EDIT: Hyundai offers discount & resolves matter amicably-4d7cfa141f1b49a6ae71d5ba7d0fee3f.jpg  

Engine Failure | Hyundai Creta Diesel AT | EDIT: Hyundai offers discount & resolves matter amicably-4fcec2ba88274c55b524323412af02b4.jpg  

Engine Failure | Hyundai Creta Diesel AT | EDIT: Hyundai offers discount & resolves matter amicably-5fc1e3335c5a427e97a9ebb31e17a567.jpg  

Engine Failure | Hyundai Creta Diesel AT | EDIT: Hyundai offers discount & resolves matter amicably-7ca879af4b624030a5a00b06e2c237e2.jpg  

Engine Failure | Hyundai Creta Diesel AT | EDIT: Hyundai offers discount & resolves matter amicably-38cd61d508424a9eb8b806e83d5a9f95.jpg  

Engine Failure | Hyundai Creta Diesel AT | EDIT: Hyundai offers discount & resolves matter amicably-131ee8c29d8c46ad8678e474531c6421.jpg  

Engine Failure | Hyundai Creta Diesel AT | EDIT: Hyundai offers discount & resolves matter amicably-2204c5d7d38148dab6a04e2f9ef22b13.jpg  

Engine Failure | Hyundai Creta Diesel AT | EDIT: Hyundai offers discount & resolves matter amicably-9762e144d366451796bc9ca95dd42904.jpg  

Engine Failure | Hyundai Creta Diesel AT | EDIT: Hyundai offers discount & resolves matter amicably-79583b0c88be410194885f8224cf56f2.jpg  

Engine Failure | Hyundai Creta Diesel AT | EDIT: Hyundai offers discount & resolves matter amicably-241482f05c53484394a2c1084bcf0685.jpg  

Engine Failure | Hyundai Creta Diesel AT | EDIT: Hyundai offers discount & resolves matter amicably-210423944d0a4b608d30203050df50cd.jpg  

Engine Failure | Hyundai Creta Diesel AT | EDIT: Hyundai offers discount & resolves matter amicably-af55e09d6f2b4189829c1698049775fb.jpg  

Engine Failure | Hyundai Creta Diesel AT | EDIT: Hyundai offers discount & resolves matter amicably-c91ab1fdc27741beb106894c7b2a0e91.jpg  

Engine Failure | Hyundai Creta Diesel AT | EDIT: Hyundai offers discount & resolves matter amicably-cc983e5974344f2ca901d41a12c77aaf.jpg  

Engine Failure | Hyundai Creta Diesel AT | EDIT: Hyundai offers discount & resolves matter amicably-d9d506eb330b44c9b2001503205ac181.jpg  

Engine Failure | Hyundai Creta Diesel AT | EDIT: Hyundai offers discount & resolves matter amicably-e53ce209c9724513a4b66214e180ca5a.jpg  

Engine Failure | Hyundai Creta Diesel AT | EDIT: Hyundai offers discount & resolves matter amicably-fd21ebb85c40424c9b6c558da7a8d2ca.jpg  

arjunrudra is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 4th March 2021, 10:26   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
But it is still a bit of a mystery to me. This kind of damage doesn’t happen in seconds. It appears you stopped as soon as you heard the noises. So I am surprised to see so much damage. I am also surprised they can’t give you a better explanation as to what has happened. They obviously opened up the engine and there should be some tell tales on what went on. How many pistons were damaged? What about the bearings?

The piston / cilinder lubrication tends to fairly straightforward. Your oil pump pushes oil into the crankshaft oil canals, this ensures the bearings are lubricated and the access oil is flung out and lubricates the piston/piston rings and the cilinder.
Quote:
The sump strainer never gets replaced normally. It doesn’t wear as such. Only if for whatever the reason the strainer is very dirty it requires cleaning, see below
Always check your owner manual about what oil specification it recommends. If it does not mention synthetic stick to whatever it does recommend.

Jeroen
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKSarkar1 View Post
Quite shocking and disheartening to hear especially when you make a conscious effort to maintain your vehicles in such a pristine way. I can only imagine the frustration that comes along with an incident like that.

I would definitely agree with all the other members who said to take a second opinion. The sad reality is that many workshops have become a cash cow for car companies in these trying economic times. I have simply stopped trusting even authorized dealers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
Really sorry to read about your trouble. I hope you get a resolution quickly and amicably - within an honest budget. Good luck. Good to see that the ASC arranged for quick-pick up to workshop etc. No long waits there at least. At the same time - don't lose heart altogether. Its a machine. They fail some times. when we buy a car, we sign-up for that invisible risk that a small % of customers will face a mechanical failure. It can be us in the worst case.
The car had run 300 kms after service. I also suspect the same. It was perfect before and after service.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAS View Post
This incident is shocking , but I'm glad there was no personal damage.

I own a June 2016 Creta SX CRDi Manual run 1.31 Lakh kms. Like you, i plan to retain the car till 200K kms and changed her shoes to Bridgestone Turanza T001 225/60 R17.
Thanks for the DM, I will speak to the service manager today and get an opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
Actually I dont think reliability ratings from USA can be applied to Hyundai's selling in India. The products are not the same, more importantly road conditions and the general environment is less harsh on the car than in India.
I would under the same impression and just before the incident i was thoroughly impressed with the vehicle . Felt very fresh for a car which had done 1 lakh kms. We were just raving about how effecient also it was. Even the tyres we got it changed on 23rd Feb, 2020. PLanned to keep the car for another lakh of kms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by igemini View Post
It is sad to know about what happened, especially for a well-kept car.

As many suggested, you may consider bringing the car back to your place than keeping it at a faraway place. Speak to multiple transporting companies, I am sure you can bring down the cost of transportation substantially.
Quote:
Originally Posted by venkyhere View Post
bingo, this is what struck my mind, as I was reading the first post. How hard is it, physically to access/remove the oil filter and replace it in the creta ? Some cars it's an extremely cumbersome job (yes, just oil filter change) in terms of dexterity of the hands. I would'n't be surprised if the service center just charged you for the filter but didnt actually replace. Or, it could be a case of them doing flush or something and dislodging a chunk of carbon debris from inside the engine, which ended up blocking the filter (like hair blocking the collander like drain cover in our bathroom). @arjunrudra, CHECK YOUR LAST SERVICE BILL FOR OIL FLUSH TREATMENT
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyocean View Post
Thanks a lot for bringing out this issue here mate. A lot has been discussed already and every case is probable. It was very informative indeed.

Few wispy factors which I think can have a role:

1) Fuel contamination/ Adulterated fuel:
My bike went kaput with similar issue and I specifically remember filing out fuel in some remote station near Kolhapur (some thug owned station). Some 70kms after refueling my mileage went on increasing like crazy and then boom! Engine started to sound like an old tractor after that. Bad fuel was the root cause in my case. I’m no expert here, would like to know what the experts think. Where did you last refuel? Was it in some shady town?

2) Faulty service: Was the Engine opened recently? Not sure of the oil pressure theory as I feel you should have felt some indication in-terms of sound and engine performance if not an alarm on the dashboard as it was a long drive. The service center guys are the usual suspects here, I'm sure they would have screwed up had they opened the engine recently.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneller View Post
Ideally, an ASC cannot carry out anything unless you tell them to. But, what they do is -
1. Inspect the vehicle and take photos
2. While taking photos and handing you your SD cards, they will start talking about work to be done, oil / filters.
3. They will write it all down in a doctors lingo and ask you to sign. Once you sign, you probably missed out the suspension lubrication, engine flush (hyundai calls it service pro) and more skimming tactics.
And there are some centres that won’t ask you and just carry on with the work.
I am going to attach a copy of my previous service bill soon.

Quote:

You could say that if there is anything that could be felt, you are way, way, way passed the normal oil life.
The car got Services on 17th Feb, 2021 and the incident happened on 26th Feb, 2020.

I would request inputs from everyone here.

Please find attached the bill:
Attached Thumbnails
Engine Failure | Hyundai Creta Diesel AT | EDIT: Hyundai offers discount & resolves matter amicably-2.jpg  

Engine Failure | Hyundai Creta Diesel AT | EDIT: Hyundai offers discount & resolves matter amicably-3.jpg  

Last edited by Sheel : 4th March 2021 at 11:20. Reason: Please quote selectively. Thanks.
Old 4th March 2021, 10:40   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjunrudra View Post
Hi guys,

I finally got some pics and updates from Hyundai Davangare.

They told me its regular wear and tear and also one of the pistons did not get oil as one of the artery had failed.

The thing I fail to understand is, how can a well maintained, less stressed, periodically serviced Hyundai fail like this.

What should I do ? Write to Hyundai and ask for further explanation and replacement ?

Kindly help.
I think you should write to Hyundai and seek an explanation of why this happened especially considering the fact that your car was a well-kept one.

In addition, Hyundai India shall also be able to provide you with a warranty for the work they are carrying out on the engine as it is a major critical engine repair.

If Hyundai India is responding to this negatively, then it will be a different story altogether and it will be a question mark to their integrity. Let our other fellow members who have more knowledge, comment on this topic and their expert observation on the photos posted.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks