Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 11th June 2021, 17:13   #1

2021 Hyundai Creta 1.4L DCT | Electronic issues, warnings & gear won't engage

New Creta 1.4 GDI turbo DCT comes home, again, again and again!!!!! And I am not upset about it.

I am new to this forum as a member but reading everything written on this forum for more than a decade. Thank you for accepting my request for membership. I spend time reading about three things. They are personal finance, cars stuff and my work area. My finance education is mainly from university of financial twitter handles. Hope you have already guessed about where my car education is coming from. I always wonder why I am addicted to this forum. I think it is mainly because the emotions of the individuals behind the stories written here. For many and to me that any car launch is complete only when the Team-BHP review is done. I also play a game in Team-bhp.com. It goes like this. First, I try to guess what some of the senior members would comment about a new car or topic. Then scroll down to read it. I smile when I guessed it right.
My 2014 110PS duster adventure edition was sold on December 2020. It was mixed experience with the car. The car was great. I was looking for replacement due to the following reasons
• I wanted to shift to an automatic transmission.
• I am not comfortable my wife driving her eleven years old Santro beyond very short city runs though it is a benchmark in our family in terms of reliability. Duster’s clutch becoming too hard for her and as wells as to me.
• My daughter was getting increasingly uncomfortable with diesel smell.
• I am also an environmental hypocrite. I can’t switch off the AC. I can’t travel in a public transport which is non-AC. But I worry a lot about pollution. I also work in sin industry -oil and gas. I really want to display my social responsibility by showing off something like owning an electric car as soon as possible.

I am already convinced to buy an electric car which is properly engineered and manufactured as an electric car. An electric car with 400Km to 500Km real world range and decent number of charging stations spread across my territory will be my time to jump in. As an interim measure, I have decided to go with a petrol automatic from Duster segment. Even though the car will not have to take more than four passengers often, I preferred the car to be able to take the fifth passenger very occasionally. It will be driven either by me or wife. I also don’t see any big mile munching for the next few years due to the current academic status of my son, pandemic etc.Even my duster was running about 7000Km per year only. No sedans. I have started looking for the car in the super dry 19.999L to 29.999L price spectrum. When you eliminate diesel from this price range, what do we have?

Considered, Tested and dropped;

It is easy process if you read this forum for long time. Almost all the questions about all the cars in the Indian market have already been answered in Team-BHP.
• I have not considered/tested the Indians- (Now I realise that it was a stupid decision and regret it). I was under a very wrong notion that cars from them come with more niggles.
• Deliberately avoided Chinese due to the current geopolitical mood despite the VFM cars MG is offering. Petrol IVT Hector would have been my pick after a test drive.
• Ford eco sport petrol AT- Test driven. Great car but too small compared to Duster.
• Seltos DCT- liked the looks, features list and how it drives. Rejected only because we had the new Creta also to compare. Then the disappointing crash test results came. Not that new Creta is five stars but it is still unknown. There is room for hope. My wife was seriously biased towards a Hyundai as her eleven years old Santro has never stopped for any reason others than to get parked.
• I felt Tucson- Petrol lame. I found Creta1.4 DCT and Creta IVT drive much better than petrol Tucson. Diesel Tucson AT 2WD was excellent. Though the car looks dated but I liked it. I wish Hyundai stayed in the design language for some more time. Family felt that the Tucson interior is not looking modern. Features like super cool ventilated seats to simple sun window screen for the rear windows are easily letting down a great car like Tucson. Lower rear seat was another downer. I was really surprised when family raised the lower seating issue. I wanted a petrol car only. My car will not be driven lot thanks to the nature of my job. My wife was not mentally prepared to drive something bigger than Duster. Tucson was the only car I was prepared to break my 25Lakhs mental price barrier.
• Jeep Compass- Dropped due to second row, petrol engine performance, confusing variants and long waiting periods. The waiting period for a test drive car with the proper engine and transmission combo (not a specific variant) was also more. Say one month in my case. I liked the variants priced above 30 Lakhs only. Still regret for not being patient.
• Taigun and Kushaq were far away at that time. Nothing was ever certain from their manufacturers. I am comfortable with mass car manufacturers in India or cars selling large numbers.

Why Creta?

• I have not discussed anything about the exterior design of the Creta with my family before going to showroom. I have not received any negative comments from my family. I kept quiet. I really don’t hate the design as much as some of our members do. I am neutral on the Creta’s exterior looks.
• Panoramic sun roof for the kids. I don’t want it as much as my daughter wants it.
• Paddle shifters, 1.4 turbo petrol engine with usable drive modes impressed me. I don’t really miss the Duster’s diesel punch.

Yes, I can read your mind thinking about DCT. I have read everything about DCT. It is a complicated mechanism especially when you want to put it on a car for common people in a country like India. It is something like running the Rolls Royce RB211 or Trent gas turbine as a drive for your domestic water pump or washing machine in an area plagued with poor quality power supply and water. If you keep tuning the DCT transmission control too much to suit Indian conditions, then you will end up with something like petrol Hector DCT. We all know how much Indian car manufacturers train their service personnel too. I have opted for the five years wonder warranty, bought shield of trust. I have also included the future repair cost into my financial goals list. DCT is the risk I have taken willingly for the driving pleasure. I have test driven the IVT too and it was good especially in city. But DCT touched my heart.As soon as I booked the car, I have started reading the online owner’s manual knowing that the car is having more gizmos to my taste. I have even translated the DCT driving instructions section into “Tamil” just in case if the car is driven by some driver other than me.

Man prepares for DCT,and God laughs at it- The problem part which is not from DCT

• I have taken delivery of the car on 26th March 2021, Friday, evening from Hyundai motor plaza, Chennai.
• Busy for couple of days on daughter’s birthday.
• I got busy on the car on setting up the blue link etc.
• I have started noticing that the ODO stays at 25Km every time I start the car. The ODO was at 25Km when I took delivery of the car from the dealership. When I start driving the car the ODO starts going up from 25Km. When you return back and park the car the ODO will read (25Km+ whatever distance driven). The ODO gets reset to 25Km after five minutes. I did couple of short drives to re-confirm this. I have recognised this is an issue. I called the SA to get clarifications on this. We have exchanged some photos. He advised me to get it checked during first service. I have asked him on what basis the service will be done if you don’t have your ODO working properly. I have decided to take car to service centre. Naturally the car had several starts and stops during this period.
• 2ndApril, Friday: Decided to take the car to service center. Started the car in the morning about 0900AM. Noticed the Auto Hold and ESC alarm indications on. Car was driven to HMP service center. The owner’s manual says that you must get the car checked when you receive the alarm. They have carried out some checks.Car was given back to me after few hours with same 25KM ODO reading. I don’t think any meaningful investigation was done. I also did not want to believe that my brand-new car is having some serious issue. They just connected the laptop and checked something and hand over the car to me. Issue not resolved. ODO was not updating.
• 3rd April,Saturday: Morning started the car. In addition to "Auto hold & ESC" alarms “EPB" alarm was also received. I have noticed the gear was not engaging when all these 3 alarms exist together. I was not sure whether it was a safety interlock or the transmission system not getting the brake pressure interlock for shifting gear. I think, if we have all these alarms together then the brake system is not in healthy condition. So the interlock system should be prohibiting the car to engage any gear. I have switched of the engine and started back in consultation with service advisor. It settled in “MIL+Auto Hold+ESC" alarm condition. This condition allows us to drive but to be checked by a Hyundai dealer service as per owner’s manual. I have driven the car to HMP, Chennai. At this stage I was not able to pin point when the break related alarms appear. I was fixated with ODO issue only.

Please find the video link:

• The car was in service station until 10th April,Saturday. I was told by the service personnel that extensive troubleshooting was carried out and instrument cluster was replaced. I have taken car home after short test drive on the same evening.
• The ODO started updating properly. I have noticed when the car was started in the morning (after a day or more of parking) the warning light saga repeats as it happened on 2nd and 3rd April. So, I was back to square one. It took some time to recognise that this happens when we start the car was parked for more time say a day or more. I have communicated the same to them. I think this information should have helped the technical personnel.
• Car was handed over to Hyundai service (HMP Chennai) on 15th April. I have personally briefed the people about the issue. Suggested to check the break related components, priming the system etc. Several photos and videos handed over to them.
• Car was delivered back to me on 21st April evening. The service centre customer care manager personally managed to repair process.I was totally impressed with him.He was the only hope for me to live with this car.We will talk about him at end of this write up. He changed my life forever now. In the entire repair saga Hyundai technical team has visited twice as per the service centre. Suggested replacement of parts as required. As per the service invoice provided to me only instrument cluster was replaced during the first visit.

• Car was started back on 24th April Morning (the previous start was 22nd April Morning). Same lights and warnings received. I have also noticed one thing that if you switch off the car once this occurs and start back again everything becomes normal. I have clearly explained the issue to them during earlier. Shared ample photographs and videos. I have advised them to park the car minimum 24 hours and then start to witness the occurrence by themselves which they did not do. They start the car everyday to check.So far, I have driven the car either to check whether the car runs properly or to service centre. I had to cancel all my planned trips due to this issue.
• I have sent an email stating my woes to all possible e-mails I have from Hyundai. The service centre personnel called me. They were the same people I was already talking to. I pity them too as much as regret my bad luck. They were trying everything they can. They have their limitations too. They have sent the personnel with laptop to pick up the car. I have kept the car not started from 25th April morning until they arrived on 27th April evening to show them the issue. As usual, irrespective of how much we love our cars they let us down. No loyalty to the owner at all. It started normally. However, they acknowledged that the alarms were there in the history. The car was taken further investigation. They have replaced the “Front wiring assembly”. The car was delivered back to us on 7th May. The car is running fine since the delivery. But I always have a constant fear. We just keep the mobile camera ready before every start.
• Where was the car since I bought it?

Name:  Screenshot 20210611 164544.png
Views: 13628
Size:  10.8 KB

• When I am comforted by the service personnel's eagerness to help me, I am totally disappointed with the Hyundai as a manufacturer. What is the QC process they follow? This is a top end version of their top selling model. I could not believe that the can deliver product with such issues. How can someone miss the ODO stuck at 25Km?
• The car was with the service centre for 26 days and 16 days with me after delivery. me.I don't think manufacturers like Hyundai hold any credit as niggles free quality cars.
• There was no call from customer care for a feedback after sales even receiving my regret mails. They take a feedback on “how the car was delivered”. They don’t bother to check “How is the car?” Hyundai India is cunningly careful not to acknowledge the manufacturing issues with the car. Hyundai’s twitter handle is very intolerant. They have taken my contact detail via DM but never called back. They block you immediately. I generally don’t bash people right away on social media. I don’t think they should have blocked me too soon. I only wanted to talk to somebody about the heartache I have with the car.I have gone to twitter to reach my banks and other manufacturers. I have always communicated politely and got my issues resolved. I have never got blocked by anyone in any of the SM platform.Why Hyundai’s twitter handle is very arrogant?
• Why the feedback mechanism treats a brand-new car with strange issue and a routine service same? How do they expect me to enjoy the service quality for the work done on a brand-new car with questionable reliability? They should also have offered me a loaner car during this period.
• It is scary to think such issues will crop up when you put your hard-earned money to buy a car and suffer with an inexplicable issue. As I try to get more information from internet about this issue I am getting more and more of horror stories with Hyundai’s quality issues in India. The scariest one is the first gen Creta’s break issue. I think Hyundai’s engineers work more on gizmos instead of designing and manufacturing good break system or steering system. I have also felt the break in the Tucson was hard as rock during my test drive.

The forum can try to help me with your inputs:

• What could be the issue?
• Have you/ New Creta owners ever faced any issue like this?
• Is it possible to obtain the manufacturing manual with electrical & mechanical drawings of this car for further troubleshooting by ourselves? I am not going to DIY repair on a brand-new car. As a minimum, we can be clearer about the issue and assess the risks associated with the failure. As per owner’s manual these alarms are expected (of course not all the alarms same time). It asks us to have the vehicle checked in an authorized Hyundai service centre if we receive any of these alarms. An alarm can be activated by the actual condition or by faulty sensors installed to detect the condition or the related wiring. How come the repair team cannot pinpoint the faulty condition or the sensing element right away?I am not able to convince myself that my car had some unknown issue and got resolved by luck.
• And finally, when do you really conclude that the car we have bought is a “lemon”? I have decided to call it a lemon if I face the same issue next time.Yes, I can hear the “three letters” senior member of this forum, I am his fan, telling I already bought one.
Lessons learned:
• It does not matter how much time you spend on TBHP. It is not important that you read a lot. It is very important that you learn from the reading and practice it. So, read the below articles again and again before buying the car. If you want better experience wait for it and pay for it. Do not seek cheap pleasure.

https://www.team-bhp.com/advice/how-...rk-out-cheaper
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/ownin...rade-swap.html (ARTICLE: YOUR 5 year old car : Keep, Upgrade or Swap?)

Delivery experience:
Hyundai Motor Plaza, Chennai works like a well-oiled engine. The sales adviser was great- Polite and to the point. The sales and delivery process were very good. It really works as good as Hyundai’s assembly line. Pandemic related safety precautions have been followed up sincerely. Time lines have been met very well. Transparent communication flow. I was having my travel commitments. They have tried their best to expedite the delivery to meet my requirement. There was one issue though. They too have failed my “tyre pressure” test. Tyres were over inflated. It is high time that the dealers are educated to adjust the tyre pressure to lame customers say at least for the one who never gone through the Team-BHP PDI check list. I have noticed one guy from a Creta Facebook group was asking about whether his new car’s TPMS reading 70PSI is normal. I think the dealers should keep such customers in mind. I was also surprised to know that they did not have a Creta DCT for test drive. I had to work around.

Hypothetically removing the trouble I had with my car, how is the car?
Engine, transmission &Drive modes- I have not driven a VW DSG except for some short test drives. So I don’t know what the benchmark here is. I found Tucson diesel 8 gear AT was exceptional, Tucson petrol slow and Ford EcoSport AT was average. The 7 gear DCT in new Creta is good. I am really happy. I find the engine very refined and smooth for the power delivery it makes. I am not an aggressive driver. But I prefer a car which should be quick enough when I want it to be. I am happy with it. I prefer ECO mode for long drives even if it is about 25KM traffic free routes. Eco mode is not dull at all and you also get a decent mileage too. Comfort mode is suitable for the city drive. This mode can cater most of the situation. Sports mode is sports mode.
Ride quality and handling- Duster seems to be have spoiled me unknowingly. I sorely miss duster here.Stock JK tyres are not justified at this price point. Better rubbers can improve the things. Car is just average in this department.But I can trade off this for the Creta’s easy to drive set up- smooth automatic, low speed steering tune and auto hold function. I am not a corner carving driver or moose testing the cars. Handling is OK.
Steering- Not bad at all. I was having low expectations. It is not very precise. But I am satisfied with it.
Build quality- The fit and finish is good. I find the doors and bonnet are heavy. It feels solid in comparison to Duster.
NVH levels- Very good.I need to see how it ages. I found the IVT was even better during my test drive.
Infotainment system- It is decent. Phones connect instantly. 15 years old son feels very nice to set up and use. I also feel the same. Voice controls work well although I never wanted to talk to my car.I prefer to communicate with my car with pedals and steering.
Access & egress- in and out of the car found to be very good. Seating position can be quickly attained with the electric seat adjustment control. I must spend some time on it after my wife’s use. A seat memory function would have been a great addition to the features list. Still much better than the duster. Finding the seat position used to be a pain point with duster.
Breaking is good when it works. So far it works when the car runs. Car stops as you want it to be.
AC performance is good. Much better than Duster.
• Wireless charger works fine with all the phones we have at home without any issues.
Blue link works very well. Very useful to keep an eye on the car. No issues faced until now. It really helped to monitor the car when at service. It is possible to cross check the service update they give you. I noticed an anomaly in the fuel gauge reading and range. Alerted the service centre before the car was delivered during one of the service trips, otherwise I would have taken the car again to them to fix it.
Rear parking camera and sensors- Good and usable.
TPMS- works fine.In general I would call this a great feature to have. It is a key safety related parameter that we are unaware of when the car is in use.
The start stop button- I miss the gratification of inserting the key and cranking. I feel things are going out of my control when the engine starts on a single press of a button.

What do I miss? Or Do I ask for too much?
I never like to spend anything on a new car other than fuel until tyres are due for replacement. I always prefer buy car which already has all the features. My essential features list not that long too. I could have paid even a little more to have the following features in the car
• Seat position memory function since you have given me an electrical adjustment feature.
• Powered tail gate. I am really looking for ways to do it. My friend’s Endeavour spoiled me here.
• Vanity mirrors with lights-not even for passenger, Hyundai-seriously? I am not disappointed with them. I am familiar with their notorious cost cutting by the exclusion of “rear wash wiper”.

What I really want now?
Peace of mind. Not that I am very impatient. I am ok with a normal failure rate. I lived with the injector failures on my duster happily. In general, I don’t regret choosing the new Creta as a car. But I want now is a car which just starts, runs, stops when I want it to and cools the cabin normally. Nothing more.Looking for such a car will be my next project after my wife takes over this car completely. The irony is Duster which I just sold ticks all the above boxes.
All the above has been written over couple of months as and when the issues were happening. I kept editing it for some time. I was busy with my job to try posting it. The repair job also kept going on and on. The car was delivered to me after the last repair on 7th May in a hurry as the lock down was coming soon. Tamilnadu went on lock down from 10th May. The car has been tested for any issues until 24th May. My wife is working with a PSU insurance company. She was able to drive the car to her office regularly with special permission as insurance is classified as essential service. I am still on a business trip. I have decided to acknowledge that the issue was fixed after two weeks of use. I sent a WhatsApp message to the customer care manager of HMP, Chennai on 25th May. The cool guy I spoke about earlier helping me on this. He never replied. That’s not him. Assumed he switched off the mobile phone due to lock down. My wife tried to call him, but the mobile phone was switched off. We have managed to contact another person from service center after the partial re-opening of the city. We were informed that the customer care manager in his early forties passed away on 14th May due to Covid. He was talking to us until 7th May. We are still in shock. I don’t care about anything now. I remember him appreciating me for my patience and cooperation during the service saga. Thank you, man. RIP. You have shown me that my car problem is not a big deal. My anger, disappointment, dejection and ego are gone now. I am not upset. God laughs louder than we think. And cruelly at times.

Last edited by Aditya : 15th June 2021 at 05:09. Reason: Incorrect date rectified. Thanks.
Senpran is offline   (88) Thanks
Old 11th June 2021, 19:29   #2
BHPian

Re: Hyundai Creta : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senpran View Post
[b][u][h3]New Creta 1.4 GDI turbo DCT comes home, again, again and again!!!!! And I am not upset about it..
Your car fits the definition of Lemon, sad there is no lemon law in our country, raise a hue and cry to get it replaced or for refund.
SolidusSnake is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 11th June 2021, 20:33   #3
BHPian

Re: Hyundai Creta : Official Review

Quote:
I am new to this forum as a member but reading everything written on this forum for more than a decade. Thank you for accepting my request for membership.
Welcome to Team-BHP

Quote:
Hyundai’s twitter handle is very intolerant. They have taken my contact detail via DM but never called back. They block you immediately. I generally don’t bash people right away on social media. I don’t think they should have blocked me too soon. I only wanted to talk to somebody about the heartache I have with the car.I have gone to twitter to reach my banks and other manufacturers. I have always communicated politely and got my issues resolved. I have never got blocked by anyone in any of the SM platform.Why Hyundai’s twitter handle is very arrogant?
This is right. Once I email Hyundai to ask them about the possibility of adding paddle shifters on older versions of Hyundai Venue DCT and I never got any replies. Now as I thought let me try to send a message to their insta handle and they replies! They assured me that they will send this to their technical team and I will be informed regarding the same. I followed up for weeks and guess what, they blocked me! They really blocked me for asking them for the feasibility of adding a convenient feature which they themselves introduced in their own vehicle. What a pity!

Quote:
The cool guy I spoke about earlier helping me on this. He never replied. That’s not him. Assumed he switched off the mobile phone due to lock down. My wife tried to call him, but the mobile phone was switched off. We have managed to contact another person from service center after the partial re-opening of the city. We were informed that the customer care manager in his early forties passed away on 14th May due to Covid. He was talking to us until 7th May. We are still in shock. I don’t care about anything now. I remember him appreciating me for my patience and cooperation during the service saga. Thank you, man. RIP. You have shown me that my car problem is not a big deal. My anger, disappointment, dejection and ego are gone now. I am not upset. God laughs louder than we think. And cruelly at times.
Reading through your post, it defines you honestly. You explained everything calmly without any sense of regret anywhere. We live in a small world, but most of the times take things for granted. A life lost is a life lost and there is no replacement for that. This person might have got the infection when on work, attending customers like you and me. This is sad and let him RIP.

Either way, I don't think you got a lemon. Your car is miles away from being a lemon, no chance in my books. Issues happen, regardless of new or old vehicles. The first issue of odometer reset was due to a bad console. Screw continental and Hyundai QC for that. Next was probably the wiring issue itself and I hope they did find the right solution. The gear not engaging was of course what the car is supposed to do because it has been taught to do just that when the instrument cluster lits up with unwanted and uninvited messages.

Wishing you happy miles. Stay safe!
Xaos636 is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 12th June 2021, 09:11   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: 2021 Hyundai Creta 1.4L DCT | Electronic issues, warnings & gear won't engage

Senpran, moving your post out to a new thread. As I've often said before, there is no such thing as a trouble-free dual-clutch AT and my recommendation for the Hyundai-Kia cars will be the Diesel AT only.

Sharing a relevant post from the other recent Hyundai DCT thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Sucks to hear about this! Imagine if that had to happen on a highway trip - just imagine the inconvenience. I have said this before and will say this again. Hyundai & Kia have sacrificed quality for growth. They have significantly ramped up their manufacturing volumes, but it has come at the cost of quality & reliability (much like Toyota a decade ago). Even our media cars from Hyundai & Kia have had a few niggles, details of which are in their respective Official Reviews.

My worry is how these cars are going to age, and what kind of problems will come up. These turbo-charged direct-injection engines are extremely complex, and equally complicated are the dual-clutch ATs. There is no such thing as a reliable dual-clutch AT in my opinion. VW, Skoda, Ford (google up DCT lawsuits) and now Hyundai-Kia...all of them have issues. Not to mention, the heavy electronics these cars are coming with. Today's complicated cars are designed for just 10 years of life. Throw them away after that. Unlike the 15 - 20 year old Honda Citys you still see running on our roads, you won't these cars. When the cost of overhauling a turbo-petrol direct-injection engine or dual-clutch AT exceeds the book value of the 11-year old car, they will be junked. Much like the old luxury cars. Today's Hyundai Creta is more mechanically & electronically complex than a 10-year old C-Class.

This is why I have always maintained that the Diesel AT is the combination to pick for the Creta & Seltos. Robust and far simpler.

Am sending a link of this thread to some people I know at Hyundai. Hopefully, your case is prioritised.
GTO is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 12th June 2021, 09:59   #5
BHPian

Re: 2021 Hyundai Creta 1.4L DCT | Electronic issues, warnings & gear won't engage

Quote:
Senpran, moving your post out to a new thread. As I've often said before, there is no such thing as a trouble-free dual-clutch AT and my recommendation for the Hyundai-Kia cars will be the Diesel AT only.

Sharing a relevant post from the other recent Hyundai DCT thread:
@GTO Slightly off topic, As we know from experience of members of this forum and other DCT owners group, many Creta and Seltos have the same actuator failure. One would have thought that by now Hyundai/ Kia would have got on top of these problems as a recall/ service bulletin was issued in Korea in 2019 itself, but even late 2020 cars are now reporting actuator failures and Kia has issued a service bulletin for Seltos sold in US (posted by me in @iamtp's thread) in December 2020 advising a software fix & detailing which all batches are affected in US. Can team bhp reach out to Hyundai that they should come out with a similar service bulletin detailing which all batches of cars are affected in India, so that owners preemptively approach dealers for actuator replacements or software fix, instead of waiting for their transmission to fail.
SolidusSnake is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 12th June 2021, 10:44   #6
BANNED

The biggest issue with such incidents is that they simply shake the customer's confidence on the product. No matter how good the car is, the customer simply doesn't feel comfortable in taking it on late night drives, hills or long tours - which in itself deeply hurts the total value a customer can derive out of his/her asset. But I still believe Hyundai with the diagnosis stuff, they have been quick in resolving issues, including this case, where they have still acted at a reasonable pace. But yes, failures do cause a lot of ache, especially when it's a car just a month or two old.

Quote:
They block you immediately. I generally don’t bash people right away on social media. I don’t think they should have blocked me too soon. I only wanted to talk to somebody about the heartache I have with the car.I have gone to twitter to reach my banks and other manufacturers. I have always communicated politely and got my issues resolved. I have never got blocked by anyone in any of the SM platform.Why Hyundai’s twitter handle is very arrogant?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaos636 View Post
They blocked me!
This is what happens when machines start working on the digital marketing instead of humans. What these 'new age' digital marketers re concerned about is only the sentiment analysis and what the data analysts have to say. Only negative sentiment needs to be cut down, and it's a fact that Hyundai and Kia digital marketing teams are very strict when it comes to social media and digital marketing. These are actually the kind of people who shall be termed "unfit for the job".
This is absolutely ridiculous, this is simply an insult to an already ailing customer of yours. First you deliver a defective product, then you simply suppress the voices too - probably they have their team seated and working from Delhi and are simply following the new age brand building technique in which "the critical voices are better suppressed"

While the brands like Skoda, who have been both shameless and arrogant, are now working on the customer feedback and service, these guys at Hyundai probably have lost their minds to the success of Creta. Colossal ships have sunk due to a few bad rivets, and all these guys now want is another competent product standing up against theirs to get them right.

Shared this with a friend, who has assured to take it up with the right people.

Quote:
I have decided to acknowledge that the issue was fixed after two weeks of use.
So is it finally fixed, or I have missed something?

Quote:
As I've often said before, there is no such thing as a trouble-free dual-clutch AT
When you said a few years back "I don't trust that an oil change will get the DSG right", I thought that you are being critical for no reason. But looking at the Ford DCT failing, DSG failures not stopping, and now DCT also joining the bandwagon; it's indeed better to conclude that the dual clutch boxes are an epitome of unreliability - better be safe than sorry!

Another point, being myself a PGDM holder from a reputed institute, I used to think that the use of word "MBAs" as unfit people for the job at times was too harsh from your end. But now, I know guys who simply don't know the stuff, but work in digital marketing teams, it looks like the hiring process itself is filled with loopholes. These people have simply forgot what the human touch, and emotional appeal of a good response can do. Analysts are only interested in analysis, and the page handling teams simply try to make sure that there is least possible negativity in the analysis results - the result we are seeing here! Would request you to give this DCT issue some space on the home page, nobody else in the digital arena will speak a word against Hyundai is what I believe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidusSnake View Post
Can team bhp reach out to Hyundai that they should come out with a similar service bulletin detailing which all batches of cars are affected in India, so that owners preemptively approach dealers for actuator replacements or software fix, instead of waiting for their transmission to fail.
Can indeed be done, pressure groups are very effective in keeping the brands on their heels.

The main reason behind this complacency and arrogance of brands like Hyundai is the absence of any strict anti-lemon laws, as well as recall acts. There is a reason that such brands immediate sit up and take a note of such problems in the countries with stricter rules. Even our consumer protection laws are so lax, that brands don't even send their representatives to district consumer forums at times, they simply challenge the verdict and let the time go by.

Last edited by VKumar : 12th June 2021 at 10:57.
VKumar is offline   (27) Thanks
Old 12th June 2021, 14:17   #7
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Read through your complaint again and some thoughts:

- Because the issue is showing up after the car was parked overnight or two nights, I think it is either battery drain or a defective battery. More likely, something is draining the battery. These modern cars have way too many electronics, controllers, boards, sensors etc. and they absolutely detest weak batteries / low voltage.

- It's bad enough that Hyundai sold you a problematic car, but I find the company's response absolutely appalling. Why on earth has this not been escalated to the topmost levels? How dare the morons handling their Twitter account block you - a customer who has paid them 20 lakh rupees!

Will be sending a link of this thread to some people I know at Hyundai and also, it will go to our homepage in the coming week.

Last edited by GTO : 12th June 2021 at 14:19.
GTO is offline   (51) Thanks
Old 12th June 2021, 14:31   #8
BHPian

Sad to hear about your issue. I m going with Creta D AT just for the peace of mind Hyundai provides which now seems to be gone. With the success of Creta the dealers have stopped entertaining customers wanting to buy Creta. The response when I visited them for booking my car wasn't good but just because of a bad experience from dealer I didn't wanted to go with other car.
I have seen a lot of posts in facebook groups and have came across 100+ posts where people were having DCT problems. Hyundai should definitely consider a recall.

Last edited by Jatin247 : 12th June 2021 at 14:40. Reason: Posted in wrong thread.
Jatin247 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th June 2021, 16:48   #9
Team-BHP Support

This is really poor form from Hyundai. It’s bad enough the customer is suffering and on top of it some PR guy has lost the wood for the trees in his misplaced priorities by blocking the chap.

After reading multiple instances of issues with the Korean twins, I feel if I’m ever in the market involving these I should definitely not take VAG offerings off the table. I mean a strong driver for their offerings was the peace of mind factor with these Koreans. It seems that their sharp growth and increasing complexity is clearly coming at the cost of QC. I just hope they don’t go the Honda way on the quality front.

Don’t take me too literally but on a somewhat serious note, I’m almost reconciled to feel that almost all manufacturers are now unreliable to a certain extent and its better to assume this and judge them on the quality and speed of their response and ability and willingness to resolve such issues with the least inconvenience to the customer.
Axe77 is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 12th June 2021, 18:47   #10
BHPian

Thanks to team bhp moderators for approving my membership.

This is the second post in two days about a problematic New Creta 1.4 TGDI. I own one of this machine but it doesn't make me anxious,I trust her with caution.
Dear Senpran, Your car is definitely not a lemon, hopefully for your good heart, your car will munch thousands of trouble free miles after that wiring and instrument cluster replacement.

Though I like the car, I do have complaints about the Manufacturer and its service centres. Hyundai has hiked the price of creta 3 times in the past 6 months, deleted features but the wait list keeps growing. As of now, there's no competition for creta and seltos which has made Hyundai greedy and not humble,they seem to be on cloud nine rather than bettering themselves.

I believe an average S cross owner would receive a better treatment than a customer who paid 2.1 million INR for creta. Personally, I had to wait for an hour before a SA would attend me. Hyundai's service centres are over crowded. SA asked me whether mine is a 2L petrol or diesel !! Technicians are not trained about Turbos and DCTs yet, can't blame them.
Creta 1.4 TGDI is a good car, but there are many things that needs to improved, lack of fierce competition makes one complacent.
Hyundai, kindly and immediately improve your quality and customer support, else competition will rise and beat you.

Lastly, anyone scared to buy a 1.4 TGDI, please test drive and feel it, its a long distance highway machine . I am cautious about usage and driving pattern. If your commute is primarily in city traffic, then do more research about this engine and gearbox combo.
tiagoatrix is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th June 2021, 22:08   #11
Senior - BHPian

This is why I stay away from DCTs and DSGs. No matter what people say, I simply wont put my money on those gearboxes. They are fun to drive, and yes some are fortunate to have owned cars that have run several years/kilometers with no issues. However there are lot of folks who have complained regarding problems with dual clutches. I will stick with CVTs and if some fun is required, Torque Convertors.

Also here I am surprised the owner has to go through such an experience after purchasing one of the best selling cars from the brand. If this is how they treat a Creta customer, what would be the plight for guys who go for cars below that segment from Hyundai ?
TrackDay is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 14th June 2021, 10:01   #12
BHPian

The DCT issue is deeply concerning, I also own a Creta DCT SX(O).
Though my experience with the car has been great with no issues whatsoever, we have tested the DCT in New Delhi's heavy traffic and even on long highway stretches cruising for 3-4 hours straight, with no heating or unusual behaviour from the transmission or the electronics.

Hopefully, your issue was just a minor electronic problem or sensor related issue, Hyundai should've given a transmission temperature meter like the KIA Seltos DCT. I also have insecurities about the long-term reliability of Dry Clutch DCT's.
RohaNN_kWh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2021, 10:24   #13
BHPian

Quote:

New Creta 1.4 GDI turbo DCT comes home, again, again and again!!!!! And I am not upset about it.

Truly feel bad for every person who has received a faulty car, no one deserves a raw deal.

One thing I have noticed is why everyone is so harsh on Tatas and Mahindras and so forgiving of other car manufactures. The above post does not reflect the Hyundai reliability many talk about.

I have even observed this even abroad, for example the German cars have sensors that are so glitchy, but everyone is so forgiving.

Recently this post received a lot of Tata-Mahindra bashing, https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...-continue.html (Brand new 2021 Tata Safari | Breakdown on delivery day, problems continue)

For those who say that the Indian manufactures don't learn and repeat the same mistakes and say "Never buy a gen1 Mahindra or Tata", well I say they are all the same, Indian manufactures are "almost" on par with the global average. Yes there are few quality check concerns, but yeah, they have improved a LOT in recent times.

Only the Japanese make super reliable cars have nailed the art of making reliable cars. Period!
Germans have nailed the art of perception management, imho.

I am not at all posting this as some patriotic vitriol, just being objective.
pandabear is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 14th June 2021, 10:55   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiagoatrix View Post
Thanks to team bhp moderators for approving my membership.

This is the second post in two days about a problematic New Creta 1.4 TGDI. I own one of this machine but it doesn't make me anxious, I trust her with caution.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Lastly, anyone scared to buy a 1.4 TGDI, please test drive and feel it, its a long distance highway machine . I am cautious about usage and driving pattern. If your commute is primarily in city traffic, then do more research about this engine and gearbox combo.
Dear tiagoatrix,
I see a kind of subtle hint of worry already in your mind by just reading the first and the last line of your reply.
Your first line assures others – Don’t worry not everyone is facing issues, go ahead and buy.
But your last line itself hints that you are worried about recommending the 1.4 DCT for complete in city usage. You are just being polite / diplomatic about it because you don’t have the complete confidence in this yourself.

Request you to please not to take offence, I just quoted your post as an example.

If you do a simple search in youtube / google, there are tons of examples of Creta / venue DCTs overheating or other general DCT issues listed.
My point is why should potential customer’s of Create 1.4 decide upfront where they run the car before buying ? Does Hyundai does not have confidence to say run our cars anywhere ?
swarnava.ch is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th June 2021, 11:01   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandabear View Post
One thing I have noticed is why everyone is so harsh on Tatas and Mahindras and so forgiving of other car manufactures. The above post does not reflect the Hyundai reliability many talk about.
People are harsh on Tata and Mahindra for niggles, harsh on Maruti for build quality, on Toyota if there are niggles like leakage (remember the first batch of Etios and the Crysta?) and for their badge engineering, on Honda City and first gen Amaze for their diesel engine issue (water locking or something like that), on Renault for their dismal safety, on Nissan for their A.S.S., Hyundai for their steering, braking and including Kia for NCAP rating.

Problem is that Tata and Mahindra fanboys or even those who aren't brand's fans but desi manufacturing fans praise Tata and Mahindra build quality on every crash news cum social media post and make fun of other brands like Renault Triber accident where the passengers survived and these people said must have crashed at 8kmph instead of 80kmph that was mentioned.

But they won't take kindly to any criticism on what they like. Most people don't even own the car and take pride in making impactful and outstanding opinions. Hence they receive an equal and opposite amount of harshness from those who are not or are fed up of it. And their numbers are huge and so we see more of it.

Renault improved their crash ratings but still those will compare how the sheet metal strength of those brands are better than Renault's.

Point is, it shouldn't affect our opinion on how many bashers are there. What should affect is the number of issues reported, be it regarding built, reliability or even service and ownership experience, to go by the facts.

You are correct regarding Japanese reliability being the best but even some of their models like the first batch Etios I mentioned didn't qualify for being faultless.
RavSam is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed