Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th December 2021, 10:59   #76
BHPian

Re: My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by agambhandari View Post
Exactly the kind of scenario that scared me. When you see the underbody on polo, you can clearly see the engine and gearbox exposed. Even though i have engine and gearbox cover, this seemed like (literally) the chink in its armor. So got it done.

Here is the underbody as it came from the factory
Attachment 2210220

Here it is with the underbody guard installed

Attachment 2210218
Could you please share where did you purchase it from and how much did it cost? Is it the official accessory that is provided?? Any potential risks of this becoming a cozy resting spot for rodents??

PS: I drive a 2020 Polo 1.0 TSI MT
Rhik94 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2021, 13:41   #77
BANNED

Re: My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhik94 View Post
Could you please share where did you purchase it from and how much did it cost? Is it the official accessory that is provided?? Any potential risks of this becoming a cozy resting spot for rodents??

PS: I drive a 2020 Polo 1.0 TSI MT
I got it from VW service center itself. It's an official part. It would be different for 1.0 TSI.

I think even without the undertray it would still be a good spot for rodents as any engine area is. That is your call to make.
agambhandari is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st December 2021, 20:00   #78
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Why you should get an engine guard | Damaged oil pan leads to Maruti Ertiga engine failure @ 600

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian2003 View Post
I would like to think that this is caused by a production fault and that damaged happened from the inside. I see a piece of aluminium sticking out but the pictures are too unclear to conclude.
The damage is close to the bellhousing and the clutch inside is spinning as fast as the engine. A loose bolt or nut thrown off at speed should be enough to cause that damage. Even pieces of a broken spring can cause it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeshwant View Post
If you see the 5th image it seems like the damage is from inner side. You can see the casting chips or broken particles are bulging out or facing outside. It seems like there might be some loose parts in the engine which have caused damage to the casing and failure occured.
Quote:
Originally Posted by som123 View Post
In photo the impact come from inside out as the bending of edges toward the out side, so it is manufactured defect and nay be due to loosen but came from the engine
Guys,

Another incident was reported in social media recently, take a look at the pics and compare them with those on first post of this thread. They are eerily similar and now I'm being forced to believe that they might be result of some issue from within the engine. I guess your conclusion seem logical, all these cars cannot have similar kind of crack and failure.

Why you should get an engine guard | Damaged oil pan leads to Maruti Ertiga engine failure @ 6000 km-img_1_1640018305540.jpg

Why you should get an engine guard | Damaged oil pan leads to Maruti Ertiga engine failure @ 6000 km-img_1_1640018340396.jpg

Why you should get an engine guard | Damaged oil pan leads to Maruti Ertiga engine failure @ 6000 km-img_1_1640018359652.jpg

Why you should get an engine guard | Damaged oil pan leads to Maruti Ertiga engine failure @ 6000 km-img_1_1640018380383.jpg

Why you should get an engine guard | Damaged oil pan leads to Maruti Ertiga engine failure @ 6000 km-screenshot_20211220220532_chrome.jpg

Although I still stand by my experience of seeing cars with damaged engine components, specially oil filter and gearbox due to flying projectiles, the similarity of failure in these cases is shocking and may be points towards some internal failure.

Regards,
Shashi

PS: In first pic, even the block has cracked. And prima facie MASS is saying its due to hydrolocking.

Last edited by Leoshashi : 21st December 2021 at 20:22.
Leoshashi is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 21st December 2021, 20:59   #79
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Why you should get an engine guard | Damaged oil pan leads to Maruti Ertiga engine failure @ 600

A chap with over 30 years of experience on Maruti engines, opines that all failures are on oil pan from inside out or block which has cracked(in latest case). Hydrolock related failures look exactly the same, pointing to hole developed in the components.

I'll try to search a pic where BHPian sumitsinha0280's Ritz had turned sideways, causing engine oil to enter the combustion area, and when that engine was cranked, it developed a hole too somewhere with a loud bang. Not sure if it did on block or oil pan.

Will keep you guys updated.

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 12th January 2022, 17:25   #80
BHPian

Anyone know if an engine guard can be made ? The kushaq and taigun don't come with engine guards..and it's not available to purchase either
silverbyte is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th January 2022, 21:06   #81
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbyte View Post
Anyone know if an engine guard can be made ? The kushaq and taigun don't come with engine guards..and it's not available to purchase either
+1 on this. I would be interested to know if this can be put in place in Taigun specifically.
Old 5th July 2022, 22:45   #82
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
A chap with over 30 years of experience on Maruti engines, opines that all failures are on oil pan from inside out or block which has cracked(in latest case). Hydrolock related failures look exactly the same, pointing to hole developed in the components.
Hello Leoshashi, thanks a ton for sharing your experience here. I have been seeing your posts on this topic since the beginning of this thread.

I need some help. I am about to take delivery of a Ciaz Alpha this week. This is my first Maruti car. Would you by any chance have any comments / advice about the under body engine cover from Maruti or those available on Boodmo for Ciaz? (I will ask Maruti service advisor too but that would be more than a month away when I take the car for the first checkup).
Old 25th October 2022, 22:21   #83

This thread raised a very valid point. I am frantically searching for an engine cover for my 4 years old car now.

Does anyone know where i may get an engine underside protection cover for Hyundai Elite i20 (Facelift) 2018 petrol model?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks