Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 14th August 2007, 12:13   #31
BHPian

Ohh my bad moral. I had a different picture in head. I thought the manifold and the cat were a part of the same cast. Thanks for searching the picture, I tried it but am too bad at it. I think its convenient to replace the cat with an end pipe but I am still going to discourage you to go for it ... think about the environment maan .. But do tell us what sort of performance gain have you got after the stage 1 of your FFE
Old 14th August 2007, 13:32   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
Guys I wanted to know whether getting rid of the Cat-Con on the Palio will make any different to the performance? I plan to do my FFE in installments (part by part). First getting rid of the cat and replacing it with a straight pipe. Then removing the exhaust manifold and this straight pipe with a 4x2x1 header made in SS. Then get rid of the auxillary muffler and adding an expansion chamber in place. And last will upgrade the end can to a free flow. Does this idea sound stupid? If yes, why?
Hey Moral, any specific reason you going for the FFE piece by piece? Wouldn't it be less cumbersome and neater to get the whole thing done at one go?
Old 22nd February 2008, 07:22   #33
BHPian

hey people , in the swift the cat con if JUST after the "headers" right?
i want to ditch the cat and go custom headers leaving the REST of the exhaust system the same- for $ and family issues- besides i rev high and i am sure more cops WILL stop me.
No answers yet to ananth 's question
How much power gains is one looking at?
anybody?
please & thank you

this is real nice reading
Stuff you wish you knew about intake manifolds - Ultimatecarpage.com forums

Waiting To Inhale - TPI - GM High Performance - July 2000 - ThirdGen.org

cheers

Last edited by cyneverdie : 22nd February 2008 at 07:25.
Old 6th March 2008, 16:59   #34
BHPian

hi guys,
removing the cat con will have negligible effect on the horse power gains in a normal road car, my advice to increase power will be to block the E.G.R valve,which comes with most modern engines
Old 6th March 2008, 17:18   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ab1xlr8 View Post
hi guys,
removing the cat con will have negligible effect on the horse power gains in a normal road car, my advice to increase power will be to block the E.G.R valve,which comes with most modern engines
Hi,

Could you please explain, how blocking of EGR valve would increase the power?

Thanks

Amit
Old 7th March 2008, 00:33   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Another thing to worry about is what is the ECU going to do when it detects a missing cat. Might need a remap for that.
no need of remap.
there is a very simple solution to all this..
u can get a o2 sensor simulator .. it makes the ECU think there is a o2 sensor present there, ECU gets a fake signal .. so ECU doesnt get alarmed thinking the cat has gone bad and throw a MIL
Old 7th March 2008, 15:57   #37
HKS
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitpunjani View Post
Hi,

Could you please explain, how blocking of EGR valve would increase the power?

Thanks

Amit
The basic idea to increase the hp in an engine is by supplying it with cooler air. If the temperature of the air which is taken in is less, then the performance would be better. In EGR, hot exhaust gases are recirculated to the engine again thus reducing its hp.

Talking of removal of CAT, I think it would be better to clean the CAT and put it back as the CAT used in modern cars are efficient and reduce noise and utilize negligible hp generated by the engine.
Old 7th March 2008, 16:53   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKS View Post
Talking of removal of CAT, I think it would be better to clean the CAT and put it back as the CAT used in modern cars are efficient and reduce noise and utilize negligible hp generated by the engine.
i got some nice results after removal of cat of my DICOR, earlier it use to get jammed very frequently so got it removed from A.S.S. and a friend of mine long time ago got his cielo cat removed even in that case results were good.
in gear acceleration has improved a lot and now engine is stress free even after 3000 . and acceleration has also improved. but i can't comment on car with smaller engines. but i think even a little gain in hp and torque won't hurt.
Old 8th March 2008, 00:35   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ananthkamath View Post
A recent post by some guy on another board made me think - Are we doing the right thing by advocating removal of the cat on our cars in exchange for the supposed HP gain?

Some things we need to think about before removing the cat -

1) Do we need to remove it in the first place? What gains are APPARENT & MEASURABLE from this?

2) Is there any published data on the gains from removing a cat either on our Indian engines, or from similar engines abroad?

3) What is the impact on the environment?

Why not do some research and form a conclusion before senselessly contributing to slaughtering the environment more than necessary?
I havent dynoed to get actual data to prove this ..
but Ive just felt it on the butt dyno that the cars felt better at higher revs .. in a M800,OHC, OHC vtec
(I know what MHP means )
Its bad for the environment agreed; but I managed to even get a PUC certificate without the cat in India...without any bribe etc. maybe the test equipment was screwed up or maybe my cars were clean enough to meet the regulations w/o cat.

Maybe newer cat designs are not that restrictive and dont affect the flow to a great extent, but atleast for the ones I tested I could feel some diff.

BTW I replaced the cat with straight thru pipe instead of a "gutted cat" (as some people do).. + had a free flow muffler.
Old 8th March 2008, 00:51   #40
BHPian

Emissions norms are pretty liniant in India i guess. Generally the emissions without cat are well within the limits atleast for petrol cars. Its all about cc]conscience i guess.

Last edited by rohan_fonseca : 8th March 2008 at 00:54.
Old 8th March 2008, 10:00   #41
BHPian

Talking of removal of CAT, I think it would be better to clean the CAT and put it back as the CAT used in modern cars are efficient and reduce noise and utilize negligible hp generated by the engine.[/quote]

HI

I am not really sure of this, because IMO inside the cat con their is honey comb structure made up of expensive materials like Rhodium, Palladium and Platinum. Have you tried taking this structure out and cleaning it???

Thanks

Amit
Old 8th March 2008, 12:19   #42
BHPian

I read this article a long time ago in Import 2ner about aftermarket cats (not exhausts/cat-backs). Took me a while to dish it out. Makes a good read.

Catalytic Converter Removal - Beat the Law - Import Tuner Magazine

I dont know for sure but I havn't seen anyone offering ceramic or metallic aftermarket cats in India. People just chuck the cat, and get a header-back straight-through pipe.
According to the article it is possible to retain the cat and get (some) performance gains at the wheels.
Old 8th March 2008, 13:05   #43
HPP
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitpunjani View Post
HI

I am not really sure of this, because IMO inside the cat con their is honey comb structure made up of expensive materials like Rhodium, Palladium and Platinum. Have you tried taking this structure out and cleaning it???

Thanks

Amit[/quote]

You can't "clean" a CAT.

As a matter of fact, do not play with it at all, either leave it or take it out, do not break up the honeycomb. From what I know the dust that is produced when it breaks up is cancer causing.. enough said I'd think.
Old 8th March 2008, 13:25   #44
Team-BHP Support

That was good article doomsday. After reading it i would stick on to stock CAT if i cant afford more expensive free flow CAT.
Old 10th March 2008, 22:35   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by doomsday View Post
I read this article a long time ago in Import 2ner about aftermarket cats (not exhausts/cat-backs). Took me a while to dish it out. Makes a good read.

Catalytic Converter Removal - Beat the Law - Import Tuner Magazine

I dont know for sure but I havn't seen anyone offering ceramic or metallic aftermarket cats in India. People just chuck the cat, and get a header-back straight-through pipe.
According to the article it is possible to retain the cat and get (some) performance gains at the wheels.
Apart from the gain of BHp with the staright thru pipe.. the tone of the exhaust also changes .. sounds much better also.

Most Viewed