Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th February 2017, 18:21   #106
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)
Re: Removing a Catalytic Converter (Cat Con) - Do you guys think its worth it?

One thing that springs to mind is that while one can remove the Cat-Con from a lovely car such as an S Cross, the fact is that whenever and if ever one goes for the PUC, one is likely to fail. Especially in that Diesel 1.6.
shankar.balan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th February 2017, 18:29   #107
Senior - BHPian

It will not fail our PUC checks as long as the testing centres and their equipment are not updated to Euro standards.

Tested and passed the PUC check in my Swift Diesel, Polo 1.5 Diesel and Vento 1.6 Diesel; all with decat pipes. SCross 1.6 Diesel will also pass the test with decat pipe.
Sankar is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th February 2017, 19:00   #108
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
It will not fail our PUC checks as long as the testing centres and their equipment are not updated to Euro standards.
Many cars in Europe have also passed emission tests with decat downpipe. This is the reason, they have started checking for the stock cat

Quote:
Tested and passed the PUC check in my Swift Diesel, Polo 1.5 Diesel and Vento 1.6 Diesel; all with decat pipes. SCross 1.6 Diesel will also pass the test with decat pipe.
Yes, I am sure it would pass. Anyways I have to get it done in couple of weeks
Old 13th June 2017, 00:14   #109
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
the fact is that whenever and if ever one goes for the PUC, one is likely to fail. Especially in that Diesel 1.6.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Naren View Post
Yes, I am sure it would pass. Anyways I have to get it done in couple of weeks
The car has passed emission tests as expected. Please have a look.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...ml#post4215329

I have driven more than 5000 KM post decat downpipe and very happy with the performance. Wolf Moto has tailored a good map to compliment the decat mod.

Cheers!!
Old 13th June 2017, 09:38   #110
BHPian

There is this PUC center I know of which doesnt even insert the nozzle into the exhaust. He just notes down the vehicle no and puts in numbers for the emissions which is within the limits. This has happened not once, but twice with me at the same place. Most others, at least for the sake of showing do insert the PUC nozzle into the exhaust. So if you find such a center, even with a removed cat con, your vehicle will pass the PUC with flying colours
centaur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2017, 09:43   #111
BANNED

I will not remove the cat-con for two reasons. Bad for the environment, and very likely the 'back pressure' will change, so the engine may not like that either. I must say I did remove the CatCon from my Carb Zen once. Had to do it since at that time unleaded was not available in Manipal. As it turned out Mangalore refinery had been provided unleaded to Manipal for ages.
Old 13th June 2017, 09:51   #112
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by centaur View Post
There is this PUC center I know of which doesnt even insert the nozzle into the exhaust. He just notes down the vehicle no and puts in numbers for the emissions which is within the limits. This has happened not once, but twice with me at the same place. Most others, at least for the sake of showing do insert the PUC nozzle into the exhaust. So if you find such a center, even with a removed cat con, your vehicle will pass the PUC with flying colours
I laughed so loud after reading this. Really humorous centaur.

In fact the road side PUC vans that we guys go to in Hyderabad have the nozzle already clogged up with so much dust and carbon from earlier checks that it is only a miracle if my vehicle's exhaust gas reaches the Gas Analyzer's chamber.

And the values are so random. I checked the readings on the screen, irrespective of how old your car is the values falls in same range. I asked that guy if at all he ever cleans or services the equipment, he mumbled that it was not needed.

Then I knew, I was not paying to check if I am polluting the environment but for name sake. Not sure where all the collected money goes.
Old 5th June 2019, 18:10   #113
BHPian

Off topic to the subject matter of this thread but, due to a trapped dog beneath our car, and in the pursuit to free him, I had to cut a wire related to the catalytic converter of the car. Now I want to fix it. How should I go ahead with the work?
Old 5th June 2019, 19:48   #114
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swapnil4585 View Post
Off topic to the subject matter of this thread but, due to a trapped dog beneath our car, and in the pursuit to free him, I had to cut a wire related to the catalytic converter of the car. Now I want to fix it. How should I go ahead with the work?
Can you post an image of the wire cut and the location?
Old 5th June 2019, 20:18   #115
BHPian

Yes definitely it's worth removing the cat con, if you are getting a remap done. IMO.
After 18 K my 2015 Volkwagen polo gt Tsi 1.2 petrol felt sluggish and needed a mod.
Wolf guys were visiting Mechanix, Pune which belongs to a bhpian.
Removal of cat con and fitting the downpipe (manufactured by International Exhaust, Pune) and Wolf remap made so much of a difference.
Since the polo gt rarely sees the highways and has to go on city errands,
Rajiv from Wolf made a special map for low and mid range power.
Simply outstanding, changed the character of the car.
Bilstein B6, Brembo drilled rotors and pads, Continental tyres were the other mods done.
Happysmiles is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2019, 21:37   #116
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swapnil4585 View Post
I guess it is the O2 sensor wire. If it is, I guess you will have to replace the full length of the wire, and it probably comes with the O2 sensor.
Old 6th June 2019, 00:31   #117
Distinguished - BHPian

I removed the cat on my 1986 Alfa Romeo Spider. Initially also the lambda sensor, but I had to put that back on as the engine was running very rich with massive backfire.

This is a 2.0 l engine about 110 BHP. Without the cat you probably get maybe 3-5 BHP extra. More importantly low rev torque improved and the sound.

Not sure on any legal ramifications in India. These days in the west it is almost impossible to legally remove the cat. If you do it still needs to be installed for the yearly MOT.

My car is one of the last ones where you could legally remove the car without any legal concerns.

As a general rule, if you don't do a remap or anything else removing the cat will give you a few extra BHP, most noticeable in low rev torque and a better sound
Heroen
Jeroen is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks