Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th December 2022, 11:25   #31

Re: Why it's important to change the transmission fluid of your Torque-Converter AT

The thread is related to torque converter AT. To the fellow Bhpians, any service is required for AMT gearboxes. Ours is a 4-year-old TATA with 37K on the Odo.
Old 24th December 2022, 18:52   #32
BHPian

Re: Why it's important to change the transmission fluid of your Torque-Converter AT

Hi all,

Same boat here. I have an xuv 500 auto, 2019 model run 25000kms. No news from any of the SVCs on ATF replacement. On pushing a service manager at Peenya garage, he suggested at 60000kms/4 years with an associated cost of roughly 50k rupees. The reasoning behind the cost is the charges for the fluid, charges to open the gearbox for complete cleanup with petrol and something like that.

Technically, I think the svc has no clue on these aspects. Is there any independent garage who are specialized in this type of work in bangalore?

Regards
Old 24th December 2022, 23:25   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post

Now the question is, where can we get this in India?[/url]
Try amazon.in. I have changed my Elantra 1.8 ATF at 1.18L kms with Manol SP4 ATF. Make sure you use SP4 grade for your Verna as well.

Apparently, the hyundai service personnel have no clue regarding ATF replacement. I had to specifically tell them to get it changed in my car.

Why it's important to change the transmission fluid of your Torque-Converter AT-img_20221030_131427.jpg

Here you can see the difference in colour of ATF, left side being the new and right hand side being old ATF.
LONG_TOURER is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th December 2022, 10:27   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONG_TOURER View Post
Try amazon.in. I have changed my Elantra 1.8 ATF at 1.18L kms with Manol SP4 ATF. Make sure you use SP4 grade for your Verna as well.
Thank you for the information. Why do you recommend SP4 over SP3?

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...ml#post4640789 (Hyundai India, unreasonable long term maintenance and service practices!)

As per this post, MX4 is a low-cost alternative Hyundai uses in Indian cars instead of the SP3. So I was planning to get Mannol SP3.

What procedure was followed in changing (or was it total flush?) the ATF? How many liters were used to refill?

Last edited by clevermax : 25th December 2022 at 10:37.
clevermax is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 25th December 2022, 12:29   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrindanny View Post
The thread is related to torque converter AT. To the fellow Bhpians, any service is required for AMT gearboxes. Ours is a 4-year-old TATA with 37K on the Odo.
AMTs are manual gearboxes controlled by a computer. Follow regular manual gearbox servicing schedule.
echo77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th December 2022, 13:06   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you for the information. Why do you recommend SP4 over SP3?
SP3 grade is for 4 speed torque convertor gearbox whereas SP4 is less viscous and suitable for 6 speed gearboxes.

Yes, they totally flushed the old ATF from the side flushing valve in the elantra. Although the service manager believes that total flushing can only be done if i had 14 litres of ATF. I bought 2x 4L manol SP4 ATF. The result after ATF flushing has been great. The shifts are smoother than before.
LONG_TOURER is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th December 2022, 13:16   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
SP3 grade is for 4 speed torque convertor gearbox whereas SP4 is less viscous and suitable for 6 speed gearboxes.

Yes, they totally flushed the old ATF from the side flushing valve in the elantra. Although the service manager believes that total flushing can only be done if i had 14 litres of ATF. I bought 2x 4L manol SP4 ATF. The result after ATF flushing has been great. The shifts are smoother than before.
Thanks. So the 6-Speed AT boxes from Hyundai already have the SP4 spec?

We have two threads going on in parallel on this topic, and I was posting some updates on the other thread just now.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...ml#post5463276 (Why you should periodically change your Automatic Transmission Fluid (even if "sealed for life"))

The quantity you purchased was correct. Check this page:
https://www.hyundai.com/in/en/connec...ansmission-oil

Nowhere it is mentioned that 14 liters are required.

Last edited by clevermax : 25th December 2022 at 13:18.
clevermax is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 25th December 2022, 13:27   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks. So the 6-Speed AT boxes from Hyundai already have the SP4 spec?
It is recommended to use SP4 grade ATF in the elantra brochure. I believe post 2015 models, verna used to be offered with a 4 speed torque convertor AT. Hence it is recommended to use SP3 for verna that comes with a 4 speed torque convertor gearbox.
LONG_TOURER is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th December 2022, 14:12   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Try amazon.in. I have changed my Elantra 1.8 ATF at 1.18L kms with Manol SP4 ATF.
Same spec is for Creta’s 1.6 TC right? Usually they say not to tamper with older TC gearboxes. See:

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishy76 View Post
The second point which I have often come across is to not flush or change the oil on a very old TC where the oil has never been changed before for very long. Just like an engine, sometimes the crud and the old oil deposits are what stops the torque converter from slipping and holds it together.
How many kilometres has it run after the change? How much did the oil change cost - Moneywise and Time?

Quote:
Here you can see the difference in colour of ATF, left side being the new and right hand side being old ATF.
Why it's important to change the transmission fluid of your Torque-Converter AT-fe56c929771c48879488a07799a8b382.jpeg

Last edited by batish : 25th December 2022 at 14:21.
Old 25th December 2022, 15:44   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It is recommended to use SP4 grade ATF in the elantra brochure. I believe post 2015 models, verna used to be offered with a 4 speed torque convertor AT. Hence it is recommended to use SP3 for verna that comes with a 4 speed torque convertor gearbox.
Thanks, Mine is a 6-Speed TC gearbox, so I guess it should be the same as Elantra's ATF spec.

Quote:
Originally Posted by batish View Post
Severe conditions[from the picture]
As per Hyundai's definition of what a 'severe condition' is, Indian driving conditions, especially in cities, is at least a couple of notches above that. So ATF has to be changed even in those sealed boxes.

Last edited by clevermax : 25th December 2022 at 15:47.
clevermax is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 17th January 2023, 17:16   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by purohitanuj View Post
No just drain plug but complexity as well. For example, the Asin ones have 4-5 shift solenoids and 3-4 variable pressure solenoids.

I got my 6 speed AT valvebody serviced due to stuck solenoids, which was due to Mahindra not flushing ATF in any of the service schedule.
Mahindra asked me 4L for full AT box replacement. I got serviced under 30K.
Can you please share details of the place you got it serviced in Delhi? My 6 speed TC gearbox on Hyundai Verna has done 60k kms and is primarily driven in traffic. I want to go ahead with ATF change/flush.

I enquired about ATF change at Hyundai, usual response it is sealed for life, only changed at 100k and beyond, expensive to change. I told them I wanted to get it done on my expense, they said they will check and get back but never did get back.
yogiii is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2023, 17:36   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogiii View Post
Can you please share details of the place you got it serviced in Delhi? My 6 speed TC gearbox on Hyundai Verna has done 60k kms and is primarily driven in traffic. I want to go ahead with ATF change/flush.

I enquired about ATF change at Hyundai, usual response it is sealed for life, only changed at 100k and beyond, expensive to change. I told them I wanted to get it done on my expense, they said they will check and get back but never did get back.
Please call Kirti Uncle at 9810253047
purohitanuj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2023, 08:00   #43
BHPian

For Maruti 4 speed TC ATs in Astar, Ritz etc. utilizing JATCO 405E transmission, the manual says ATF replacement is to be done after 11 years or 165000kms whichever comes earlier.

Is it important to change drain and fill ATF even if the car has done less than 40K kms after 11 years? Does ATF go bad with time?
Old 15th April 2023, 17:47   #44
BANNED

I drive a close to 9 yrs old Hyundai Verna diesel 4-speed AT, which clocked about 67k kms. Over the last 2 weeks, I noticed tiny jerks during gear changes and I started to suspect the need for ATF change.

I took it to Lakshmi Hyundai Hyderabad to diagnose the issue. The Service engineer says that these jerks are expected at this age of the car and the transmission will only get weaker with age. He also confirmed that there are no oil leaks. He checked the oil quantity and viscosity and certifies them to be in good condition and doesn't need a change anytime soon. I really wished he used the Hyundai-authorized computer to get a second opinion, before he let me go.

I have my doubts about his diagnosis. Can one of you advise on the possible reasons for this and is there something I can do to fix this?
santhosh_lv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th April 2023, 17:59   #45
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by santhosh_lv View Post
I drive a close to 9 yrs old Hyundai Verna diesel 4-speed AT, which clocked about 67k kms. Over the last 2 weeks, I noticed tiny jerks during gear changes and I started to suspect the need for ATF change.

I took it to Lakshmi Hyundai Hyderabad to diagnose the issue. The Service engineer says that these jerks are expected at this age of the car and the transmission will only get weaker with age. He also confirmed that there are no oil leaks. He checked the oil quantity and viscosity and certifies them to be in good condition and doesn't need a change anytime soon. I really wished he used the Hyundai-authorized computer to get a second opinion, before he let me go.

I have my doubts about his diagnosis. Can one of you advise on the possible reasons for this and is there something I can do to fix this?
The service engineer is giving a load of bull crap. Your car transmission is overdue for an oil change at 9 years despite the low mileage. I suggest you get it changed. Ensure that you get the exact spec of AT oil that is meant for your car. Check if your owner's manual has the oil details specified. Stick to the spec and quantity to the T.

Now whether you the old oil is the cause for the judder can be known only after you replace the oil.
sagarpadaki is online now   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks