Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th July 2007, 15:03   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Su-47 View Post
3K and above on a Safari Dicor . How did he reach there???
Huh ?!!
One way accelerate in neutral for high RPMs ?
Old 13th July 2007, 15:18   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guderian View Post
Huh ?!!
One way accelerate in neutral for high RPMs ?
Err, what Su-47 assumed & I did the same was that your friend noticed the black smoke while driving - and hence his query as the Safari peaks out at 3000 rpm.

As you mentioned, it could be a EGR issue, could be a catalytic convertor issue, could be a plain & simple diesel bunk issue.
Old 24th March 2008, 11:37   #18
Senior - BHPian

System D

Can someone post links to System D,its details and reviews.

And where can I get it?

And is it a must be additive when one use normal diesel?
Old 24th March 2008, 11:48   #19
Senior - BHPian

IFTEX- fuel additives

They have tieups with Bpcl & IBP, so you will find them at their bunks.

Yes, use with normal diesel ONLY.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post

And where can I get it?

Old 24th March 2008, 11:51   #20
BHPian

Quote:

And where can I get it?

System D is available in BPCL outlets. I thought premium diesel like turbojet or extra mile is nothing but normal diesel mixed with additive likes system D.

Previously when premium diesels were not available "off the pump" i used system D, now that every brand has their own premium stuff, it is better use that offering rather than making our own concoction.

Correct me if i am wrong.

regards
tifosi.
Old 24th March 2008, 11:54   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tifosikrishna View Post
System D is available in BPCL outlets. I thought premium diesel like turbojet or extra mile is nothing but normal diesel mixed with additive likes system D.

Previously when premium diesels were not available "off the pump" i used system D, now that every brand has their own premium stuff, it is better use that offering rather than making our own concoction.

Correct me if i am wrong.

regards
tifosi.
People see more smoke with premium diesel fuels and I think even manufacturers ask you to avoid
Old 24th March 2008, 12:08   #22
Senior - BHPian

I am happy with my smoking verna.It smokes when we try to accelerate quickly,else it should not smoke.If it smoke continuously then you are in for a toss.
ram
Old 24th March 2008, 13:02   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

@jk, all you have to do is a search, right here. And your local TASS would also display /advertise the stuff. Check out the reception area of their service center.
Quote:
jkdas : Can someone post links to System D,its details and reviews.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...-additive.html (Fuel Additive)
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...il-diesel.html (Adding Engine oil with Diesel.)
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ex-yes-no.html (SYSTEM G (IFTEX): yes or no????)
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...eans-jets.html (IFTEX System G - Cleans the Jets?)
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ally-work.html (Fuel additives and octane boosters....do they really work?)
Old 24th March 2008, 16:53   #24
Senior - BHPian

Perhaps you have already seen it but I would say premium or normal your vehicle fuel requirements and the fuel you fill specifications need to match for best performance and FE, which I have tried to explain here

Specifically for your Safari 2.2, this is what TATA specifies as the fuel to use.

Quote:
People see more smoke with premium diesel fuels and I think even manufacturers ask you to avoid
Old 24th March 2008, 22:52   #25
Team-BHP Support

Stick to IOC regular diesel from reputed pumps. Works well in almost all diesel engines.
Old 25th March 2008, 19:13   #26
BHPian

It's all in the sulphur

Hi all,

the smoke in diesel engines is largely due to one specific ingredient... sulphur.

Europe phased out sulphur from diesel fuel years ago, and the rule now is (I believe) 380mg/litre, vs. 5000 mg. some 20 years ago. That is why I remember smoky diesels as a child and my son does not.

(Of course, an illegally tuned diesel will smoke for an excess of diesel:air mixture)

If the new Safari smokes, it doesn't matter whether the 3.0 DICOR (which I have) or the latest 2.2 DICOR... they aren't supposed to smoke... unless there's too much sulphur in the fuel OR there's poor quality fuel in that area.

Here in Europe many oil companies sell "standard" diesel and "premium" or "HiTech" diesel... about 5 Eurocents more expensive. However, not all HiTech diesels are alike.

Italian brand AGIP and French TamOil, for example, have low-low sulphur content to reduce smoke, and counter this with special additives.

SHELL, on the other hand, sells a "Hi-Performance" diesel which has sulphur at the highest levels allowed by EU law (actually higher than standard diesel...) but as sulphur also contributes to producing bhp, SHELL claim an extra... 3% extra bhp with their fuel... but it smokes like a steam train !!!

So now you have the (european) picture.

Hope this helps
Old 25th March 2008, 22:06   #27
Senior - BHPian

My 2 Cents

Please get the following things checked.

1. air filter
2. oil seperator(PCV related). Incase its found to be faulty. Please get the airfilter cleaned and ask the dealer to clean the intercooler as well. Should be FOC to you. There should be no oil leakages from the turbocharger.

point 1 and 2 are interelated. A choked airfilter will drink oil from pcv which will find its way out from the tail pipe.

3.Check the engine oil level. It shouldnt be above the high mark ever.
4. get the readings of the egr valve modulator and then have it compared to other 2.2 dicors. (high chances of this being the culprit)

4. change the fuel bunk to a reowned one. Give a does of STP, it sure works wonders in cleaning gunk.

Let us know if this helps
Rahul
Old 25th March 2008, 22:22   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
mpescatori : SHELL, on the other hand, sells a "Hi-Performance" diesel which has sulphur at the highest levels allowed by EU law (actually higher than standard diesel...) but as sulphur also contributes to producing bhp, SHELL claim an extra... 3% extra bhp with their fuel... but it smokes like a steam train !!!

So now you have the (european) picture.
Thanks for that peice of info.
is exactly my response to the approach taken by Shell. Wonder if it is the same reason why Shell diesel here feels better than other brands.
Old 26th March 2008, 10:31   #29
Senior - BHPian

As you people must have noticed from the links in my earlier post and if not let me remind you.

If you are filling from those 11 cities you are getting Euro III fuel specifications (mpescatori is talking about EuroIV) and outside those Euro II only, the 2.2l DICOR is tuned for Euro III fuel as specified by TATA.

Euro IV comes in at April, 2010 in those 11 cities only, in India and the rest of India will move to Euro III then. That is when the sulphur content will be reduced to quite an extent.

Also the current diesel supplied can have 5% ethanol mix which will goto 10% in 2010.
Old 27th March 2008, 06:28   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post

Also the current diesel supplied can have 5% ethanol mix which will goto 10% in 2010.
Are you sure it is ethanol? Maybe it is biodiesel that comes from rapeseed oil - deesterified

Ciao

Ignazio

Last edited by theMAG : 27th March 2008 at 13:42. Reason: Typos and grammatically corrected

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks