Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th July 2007, 14:31   #16
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

gulgul, getz has a relatively lower low end torque. That explains why you feel it a tad underpowered. Also you must realize that the getz is much heavier than the Santro so its not a fair comparo. Besides turning on the AC will make most cars in the below 100bhp segment loose power.

Since you mentioned about knocking, it would nice if you could tell us what RPM's you are shifting gears at? Overloading an engine necessarily translates to this. I have seen quite a few people try to change gears within 2k rpm's resulting in knocking.
Old 16th July 2007, 15:34   #17
Senior - BHPian

gulgul: My suggestion go for K&N and a freeflow, am very happy with the torque of my car after i have installed the K&N and the free flow.

Good luck

Last edited by lohithrao : 16th July 2007 at 15:35. Reason: spelling
Old 16th July 2007, 16:04   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885 View Post
gulgul, getz has a relatively lower low end torque. That explains why you feel it a tad underpowered. Also you must realize that the getz is much heavier than the Santro so its not a fair comparo. Besides turning on the AC will make most cars in the below 100bhp segment loose power.

Since you mentioned about knocking, it would nice if you could tell us what RPM's you are shifting gears at? Overloading an engine necessarily translates to this. I have seen quite a few people try to change gears within 2k rpm's resulting in knocking.

I shift around 2k RPM many a time - never had a pinking / knocking - the car has to be in proper state of tune that's all. Guess all engines are different.

Cheers
Old 16th July 2007, 16:40   #19
BHPian

Even I have a Getz GLE 2000kms, I do sometimes struggle while launching the car in first gear. If I accelerate less when launching, the car would easily stall. At low acceleration I have to cautiously release the clutch, that would launch the car but with engine shudder. I think the same happens when reversing. Any idea what could be happening?

Thanks
Old 16th July 2007, 16:57   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
how much has thr car run ??, if above 40k kms, use STP Engine flush, its bound to make the difference.
Do you expect a 7-month old getz to run that much??
Old 16th July 2007, 20:08   #21
BHPian

Quote:

i own a swift and I feel that even I face the same problem? so as a thumb rule gears should be changed only post 2k on tach, wont that change the normal recommended speed as per the manual??
Old 16th July 2007, 22:25   #22

Viper, I agree that after around 2.5k RPM, the power is pretty good. But driving around in the city, you hardly get a chance to get the RPM above 2.5 so it's useful mostly for highway driving only.
I went thru ur gallery...ur getz looks awesome !!

I see that u r a guru of mods. What mod would you suggest for me?..something which is not too costly and would make a good difference in the low end torque..and preferable one that wont make me lose my warranty.

hemanth,any idea what exactly was done during the service to make the problem disappear?

mclaren1885, I usually change gears between 2k - 2.5k rpms. Due to the low torque of my car, I usually end up racing it to a relatively higher RPM than I would normally have, before shifting. And what I mentioned is not a proper knocking sound(the kind u get when u overload an engine). It's more like a difference in engine note, not sure how to explain it, but it has a kind of metallic sound to it and happens at any RPM.

observer , I understand exactly what you are saying...I have also experienced the same...sounds like a result of less low end torque combined with a relatively large gap between 1st and 2nd gear ratios.

I read somewhere that recently Hyundai has done some ECU remapping on the Getz to increase the FE at the cost of power. I guess this low torque is a result of this.

WasavaTyres, which model Getz do u have? I mean which year/month.Just want to check if yours was before the ECU remap ?
Old 16th July 2007, 22:55   #23
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suvrajit View Post
i own a swift and I feel that even I face the same problem? so as a thumb rule gears should be changed only post 2k on tach, wont that change the normal recommended speed as per the manual??
It depends on a lot of other factors as well. Such as:

1. The load on the engine. Depending on how many people are sitting in the car.
2. Weather conditions. If air is cool and dense engine will give a better response.
3. Torque curve of the particular engine.
4. Whether AC is ON or OFF.

Rather than sticking to the thumb rule of shifting at a particular RPM or a particular speed (even if it is manufacture claimed) best way to work it out will be to rev to a point wherein after shifting gears the engine wont face excessive load. If it does then go higher on the revs. Its that simple.
Old 16th July 2007, 23:15   #24
BHPian

Quote:
It depends on a lot of other factors as well. Such as:

1. The load on the engine. Depending on how many people are sitting in the car.
2. Weather conditions. If air is cool and dense engine will give a better response.
3. Torque curve of the particular engine.
4. Whether AC is ON or OFF.

Rather than sticking to the thumb rule of shifting at a particular RPM or a particular speed (even if it is manufacture claimed) best way to work it out will be to rev to a point wherein after shifting gears the engine wont face excessive load. If it does then go higher on the revs. Its that simple.
1. The load on the engine. Depending on how many people are sitting in the car- Most of the times only me
2. Weather conditions. If air is cool and dense engine will give a better response- thats a definite variable
3. Torque curve of the particular engine- Dunno
4. Whether AC is ON or OFF- OFF but faced more with the AC ON

Pls forgive my ignorance - this is my first driving experience- when you mean excessive load- like if I am doing 20 kmph and switch to third gear it feels that the car is struggling to pull and I have press gas harder?
Old 9th August 2007, 20:35   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by observer View Post
Even I have a Getz GLE 2000kms, I do sometimes struggle while launching the car in first gear. If I accelerate less when launching, the car would easily stall. At low acceleration I have to cautiously release the clutch, that would launch the car but with engine shudder. I think the same happens when reversing. Any idea what could be happening?

Thanks
I have a getz prime 1.3 two months old. I face the same issue. Mainly in reverse gear..
Old 5th September 2007, 00:04   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatienceWins View Post
I have a getz prime 1.3 two months old. I face the same issue. Mainly in reverse gear..
lack of power in reverse gear ??
Old 5th September 2007, 08:23   #27
BHPian

I learnt my driving in the days when there were no tachometers, so we had no clue what was the rpm. In fact we were lucky if the temperamental speedometer on my dad's Fiat 1100D was working!
Shift down when you feel the engine is labouring, never ever make the valves clatter, after some thime you will get in tune with the engine and gear-shift will become second nature.
But first you need to bond with that engine!
Old 5th September 2007, 15:39   #28
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suvrajit View Post
when you mean excessive load- like if I am doing 20 kmph and switch to third gear it feels that the car is struggling to pull and I have press gas harder?
even i have a getz. at 20 if you shift to third there is a bit of struggling. i dont think you should shift to third before 30. i shift to 3rd anytime between 30 and 90.
Old 5th September 2007, 15:46   #29
Senior - BHPian

Why dont you try some other Getz and see if the problem with pick up is with your car only? In which case you can take hyundai service to cleaners and ask them to rectify the issue.
Old 5th September 2007, 20:39   #30
Senior - BHPian

Getz low end torque is less. Good high end torque. Excellent ride and handling.
I am planning to go for FFE. Any reliable places in bangalore.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks