Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th June 2013, 08:58   #61
BANNED

Re: Car Air Conditioner Cleaning to remove bacteria, fungi

Does anyone have tried Frigi-clean evaporator cleaning foam, which directly used on evaporator by drilling an hole in the cover , all kits provided, where shall i get this product in india?

I have come across an forum, which has information of usage of frigi-clean product. i give the link below for reference.

http://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-te...porator-2.html

It would be helpful, if i get any reply regarding this, or similar product, can we use the Gulf AC cleaning foam, which is available in india, directly to the evaporator coil, does it work?
Old 17th June 2013, 20:41   #62
BANNED

I have decided to clean the evaporator coil by dismantling, since it has much grime and sticky stuff in it, i snapped an shot by removing the resistor block in the assembly, it is tough to reach. Even i use foam cleaning, it wont be much help. so i decided to clean it by removing. As i got quote of Rs. 2100-2200, for dismantling, and cleaning, AC gas filling, AC compressor oil, and some oil seals. labor , all inclusive. is this normal price?
Attached Thumbnails
Car Air-Conditioner Cleaning to remove bacteria & fungi-1dsc01437.jpg  

Old 19th June 2013, 00:41   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivanoj View Post
I have decided to clean the evaporator coil by dismantling, since it has much grime and sticky stuff in it, i snapped an shot by removing the resistor block in the assembly, it is tough to reach. Even i use foam cleaning, it wont be much help. so i decided to clean it by removing. As i got quote of Rs. 2100-2200, for dismantling, and cleaning, AC gas filling, AC compressor oil, and some oil seals. labor , all inclusive. is this normal price?
I think that's a little steep price, however they should ensure NO damage is done in dismantling of the condenser and radiator.

However I think you can clean it without removing it also.
Like the Windows A.C. guys do on your room A.C. Servicing.

I have a friend who takes care of home A.C.'s he uses "caustic soda" (Sodium hydroxide) diluted in water poured over the condenser coil and in under a minute every debris starts boiling, even the ones you think would need to be pulled out,
but he says this should be done only once a few years as it can damage the coils/fins inside.
This must be washed with excessive running water like fresh water from water pump which has some pressure.
  1. Any leftovers of "caustic soda" will kill the coil for sure.
  2. Also this Solution must not be touched by hand.
  3. Ensure you mix the solution using some wooden or metal stick
  4. If you accidentally come in contact with it, seek immediate medical attention.
  5. This should be done where you can spill a lot of water and is away from kids and infants.
Edit: please See this Link, Seems the method is already popular among different countries.

Last edited by ghpk : 19th June 2013 at 00:44.
ghpk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2013, 17:04   #64
BANNED

after your post, i have enquired few AC mechanic shop, one said about Rs.4000, other said Rs.2800. So as for now i feel this Rs.2100 is lowest, but can get that below Rs.2000, while getting the job done.

also, as caustic soda DIY, its not possible, since the evaporator coil is underneath the dashboard,, and it is tough to clean without removing physically. if it is about cleaning in exterior, can us your method, but inside car, it is not possible.
Old 20th June 2013, 01:52   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivanoj View Post
after your post, i have enquired few AC mechanic shop, one said about Rs.4000, other said Rs.2800. So as for now i feel this Rs.2100 is lowest, but can get that below Rs.2000, while getting the job done.

also, as caustic soda DIY, its not possible, since the evaporator coil is underneath the dashboard,, and it is tough to clean without removing physically. if it is about cleaning in exterior, can us your method, but inside car, it is not possible.
Yes I agree the method I posted is not possible for Coil inside the Cabin.
You should certainly consider getting this done on a place which repairs
Car A.C.'s a home A.C. mechanic can go completely wrong while handling things inside a car, and when its paid by you, it should be done at proper place.

Anyway I was thinking of getting the same thing cleaned in my Santro, but I've never tried to locate this under the dashboard.
will certainly try to peek sometime soon.
Old 20th June 2013, 13:02   #66
BANNED

@ghpk

yes, the price quoted was of Car AC mechanic price, not of home AC mechanic. you can get this under the glove box, you remove glove box and see for an wire or socket getting in AC coil plastic cover, it is resistor block, you can remove that by screw driver, and have a peek inside, or use digital camera with flash to get the view.
Old 10th March 2014, 19:12   #67
BHPian

I briefly used the Abro disinfectant spray, not sure of its performance.
some details posted at : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post3387898
Old 21st May 2014, 15:26   #68
BHPian

I've been asking around for the Gulf A/C neutralizer which was supposed to be available in IOC bunks in Bangalore. No luck so far. It's not mentioned anymore on their website either. Anyone recently cleaned their car AC ducts? What are some good alternatives?
Old 21st May 2014, 22:13   #69
BHPian

After going through this thread, I've noticed that people have tried to be very innovative and clever finding novice ways to get rid of the ac smell/odour. Some of it was downright funny, Some dangerous, some completely off the mark while others were just pathetic. No offence to anybody, but nobody tried to think of the most obvious and simple remedy. GET YOUR AC SERVICED REGULARLY!! All the foul smell comes from the humid cooling coil or evaporator where all the air impurities get clogged up and accumulated hence building up to the smelly situation over time due to fungus etc. The only logical way is to clean it up! If you want the to-the-point solution that is. All other ways are like spraying scent over sh#t and trying to be happy. And forget about trying to fiddle with the cooling coil yourselves guys. It contains hazardous gases under high pressure which could seriously injure/burn/handicap or blind you if not known how to handle. So that's clear. Now, regarding how frequently to clean depends on how humid an area you live in. If the smell remains even after cleaning ac then other culprits could be damp floor matting, dead rodents stuck somewhere. Hope I could clear up most doubts. Any further doubts can be cleared and you can pm me at pixantz. Stay fresh.
Old 22nd May 2014, 17:55   #70
BHPian

Friends, Moisture causes the build of bacteria and other micro organisms in the AC vent. A simple routine procedure can help us to avoid unwanted micro organisms in the ac duct. If your car comes with a HVAC then you can switch on the heater at the end of the journey for a few minutes to dry the ac went. This will help the ac duct free from moisture. If the car is not equipped with a heater you can run the blower for few minutes to dry the ac went. I was having issue with ac duct smell in my previous car which did not had the heater. I used gulf ac neutralizer once in 4 months to keep the ac went clean. The most important thing you should follow is to clean the car carpet at least the co driver side, from where the blower sucks air, this will help in less maintenance of the ac and avoid a evaporator failure.

Harry
Old 23rd May 2014, 05:15   #71
BHPian

Hey,

There is a similar product from ABRO, http://www.abro.com/products/automot.../?product=3544
Should be available on Snapdeal/eBay. I tried this on my H-City last year, and the fragrance did last for sometime. Regarding its cleaning properties, I have no idea since the coil was'nt inspected below/after the application.

However, the best way to get rid of odour and dirt and regaining the efficiency of AC, it is best advised to get the coil cleaned from an expert. A few years back I was surprised to see the amount of dirt/muck accumulated on the coil of my 4 yr old verna, needless to say post cleaning the AC was back in its full glory..

Edit:
Found it online:
Snapdeal: http://www.snapdeal.com/product/abro...hygiene/237039
eBay: http://www.ebay.in/itm/abro-car-ac-c...essories_parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by triedeverything View Post
I've been asking around for the Gulf A/C neutralizer which was supposed to be available in IOC bunks in Bangalore. No luck so far. It's not mentioned anymore on their website either. Anyone recently cleaned their car AC ducts? What are some good alternatives?

Last edited by live2drive : 23rd May 2014 at 05:21.
Old 24th May 2014, 20:58   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by live2drive View Post
Hey,

There is a similar product from ABRO, http://www.abro.com/products/automot.../?product=3544
in my Xylo, I have tried this foam twice, didnt see much effect, just some smell - which I personally disliked. in the manual it says that foam has to drip down carrying the dirt, which I never noticed ! maybe my method isnt correct to pump the form too deep in the vent.

every 3-4 months atleast I get the cabin filter (in glove box) and blower motor (under the glove box) cleaned. try to keep the floor mat at co-driver dust free. A clogged filter or motor will also reduce the cooling efficiency.
Old 26th May 2014, 08:54   #73
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcpranav View Post
in my Xylo, I have tried this foam twice, didnt see much effect, just some smell - which I personally disliked. in the manual it says that foam has to drip down carrying the dirt, which I never noticed ! maybe my method isnt correct to pump the form too deep in the vent.

every 3-4 months atleast I get the cabin filter (in glove box) and blower motor (under the glove box) cleaned. try to keep the floor mat at co-driver dust free. A clogged filter or motor will also reduce the cooling efficiency.
Even I tried this foam. No use. As you said just the smell changed which I also personally disliked. Would not recommend
Old 2nd July 2015, 17:55   #74
BHPian

Maruti Suzuki Ciaz Zxi+ SMELLS!

Hello Friends,

A very dear friend has purchased the Ciaz Zxi+ from Wondercars Pimpri, Pune in the month of March 2015. After the initial euphoria of owning a new car within days he started smelling something odd, really odd .

Everytime he drove the car with the windows rolled up and the A/c set to around 19 c and all other settings on auto the dreaded smell would appear within a few minutes, disappear & reappear randomly. This has been going on till date & on multiple visits to the wondercar service center the mysterious smell lives on.

The service center has replaced the cooling coil (currently with a unit from a demo car), gas refilled, compressor oil changed, checked & rechecked the vent system (damaging the dash-now riddled with screwdriver marks) & then finally refused to accept the existence of any such smell. But having driven the car nearly 9000 km since the purchase the smell lives on.

I too have personally witnessed the smell first hand while traveling with him. To explain the smell; its some kind of a pungent gas smell. As my friend explains, something like a rotten smell in a deep freezer that we experience once in a while.

Now that Maruti has refused to acknowledge the smell although we are still following up what are the options for my friend? He feels like a fool having plonked over a million rupee on a smelly car that made his 10 month old son sick during a recent drive back from Bangalore to Pune, with the kid puking all over & they finally left with the option to drive back without the A/c and windows rolled down.

Can I get help from the forum for this dear friend of mine? Help in form of advice or possibilities for this issue?

Cheers,
HZS
Old 2nd July 2015, 18:04   #75
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Maruti Suzuki Ciaz Zxi+ SMELLS!

You can check these threads
Link1
Link2

Also, since there is no issue related thread an Ciaz, you can check the same in official review thread.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks