Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd May 2016, 21:56   #91
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.Marine View Post
i find it extremely suspicious that only one tyre should wear out so badly amd the other three remain in decent condition?
When was the last alignment and balancing done?

Can you take the car to any reputed MASS and get the suspension checked? I feel that's out and wearing off the tyre that is riding on it.

Is the car pulling to one side?
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2016, 10:03   #92

Re: Issues with WagonR

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
When was the last alignment and balancing done?

Can you take the car to any reputed MASS and get the suspension checked? I feel that's out and wearing off the tyre that is riding on it.

Is the car pulling to one side?
I beg your pardon for this late response. Dont always have access to proper internet onboard ship.

Anyway, the wheel alignment and balancing had been carried out recently when the last sevicing was done at a reputed MASS. I have been constantly monitoring the condition of the new tyres. Seems satisfactory so far.

However, now that you mention it, i do feel the car is ever so slightly pulling to the left. i'll get the suspension checked now. Thanks a lot for your advice.
Old 23rd June 2016, 10:15   #93
BANNED

Quote:
However, now that you mention it, i do feel the car is ever so slightly pulling to the left. i'll get the suspension checked now. Thanks a lot for your advice.
Please take the car to a efficient MASS and get the suspension checked plus the rims also true-ness.

Any competent tyre dealer who is good at Alignment should be able to help you out.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2016, 09:47   #94
BHPian

Hi,
My Waggy recently when i tried to reverse on an incline showed less power compared to 3-4 years back when i did the same. Clutch also seems like a half clutch.
The acceleration has considerably slowed down. What could be the issue? I've put up 44K kms on the odo.
Yearly service is due next week, before giving it would like expert opinion on what could be the issue.

Many thanks in advance.

Ramki

Last edited by tsk1979 : 22nd November 2017 at 13:01.
Old 4th August 2016, 10:55   #95
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramki067 View Post
Hi,
My Waggy recently when i tried to reverse on an incline showed less power compared to 3-4 years back when i did the same. Clutch also seems like a half clutch.
The acceleration has considerably slowed down. What could be the issue? I've put up 44K kms on the odo.
Yearly service is due next week, before giving it would like expert opinion on what could be the issue.

Many thanks in advance.

Ramki
I would doubt the clutch first than anything else.

When you move from standstill, how good is the momentum when you release the clutch? Try another WagonR (F10D) and ascertain this.

Another thing you can try is the hand brake test:

Park the vehicle with the Hand Brake fully engaged. Then start the car and slot into 1st and with the Hand Brake still engaged, release the clutch while simultaneously giving throttle input. A good & a healthy clutch is more likely to cause the engine stall when your clutch is 40-50% released while a worn out (Weak) clutch will ensure the vehicle wont turn off even when the clutch is released all the way to 70-80%.

A good clutch will also result in the car showing every signs of surging ahead and trying to lift itself up like a frog while doing this test.
Old 4th August 2016, 11:24   #96
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
I would doubt the clutch first than anything else.
Thanks parag.

As i've said there is a half clutch issue. After releasing half clutch(without handbrake) the car moves. I have stalled the engine many times due to this half clutch issue.
Is my clutch weak and needs work or is it clutch/clutch-cable adjustment issue?

Ramki

Last edited by ampere : 6th December 2017 at 21:23.
Old 4th August 2016, 11:29   #97
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Is my clutch weak and needs work or is it clutch/clutch-cable adjustment issue?
You can get the play adjusted but with your explanation, I am more than sure that its your clutch that's gone weak and is asking for replacement.
Old 4th August 2016, 11:35   #98
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
You can get the play adjusted but with your explanation, I am more than sure that its your clutch that's gone weak and is asking for replacement.
Okeeee thanks again parag.
I understand that its a 2007 Nov model but also clutch to go off at only 44K on the odo! .
What can be the causes for this? Please enlighten.
Old 4th August 2016, 11:42   #99
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I understand that its a 2007 Nov model but also clutch to go off at only 44K on the odo! .
Trust me, 44 K is good. Its not gone its only got weak but you don't want to drive in that condition.

If you ask at the ASC, they are likely to tell you that on a average 30-35K is when clutch for Petrol cars get changed unless you are a really good driver.
Go ahead and replace the kit - Clutch Plate, Cover Assembly, Release Bearing, Flywheel and Cable.
The last 2 parts (Flywheel & Cable) will only add another 1000-1200 to your bill but its is always advised to do so.

Last edited by tsk1979 : 22nd November 2017 at 13:01.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2017, 11:27   #100
BHPian

Guys, I'm facing a couple of issues with my 2004 F10D Wagon R. Odo reads 67k kms.

After driving my car for 6-7 kms, whenever I stop at a traffic signal, the car's rpm drops significantly, almost at the point of stalling but then it rises by itself. I guess the ECU prevents it from stalling. This cycle repeats till the signal gets green and I move ahead.
Spark plugs were last replaced around 3 years and 20k kms back. Fuel filter and air filter around 10 months back.

I am attaching a video for the same. You can see how the engine shakes at 00:05, 00:10 and 00:15 minutes. This happens when the rpm drops too low.

The second issue is that sometimes during pick up from a standstill, I can see that the gear lever shudders a lot. Not just vibrations but i can see the stick moving back and forth repeatedly. It makes some noise too. I have to slip the clutch to prevent it doing so.
Have the gearbox mounts become loose or is it something else.

Actually this issue is since a long time and I have never bothered about it until now.

Any help in solving the above two issues is much appreciated.
Thanks.

Last edited by Sherlocked : 22nd November 2017 at 11:29.
Old 22nd November 2017, 11:58   #101
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherlocked View Post
Guys, I'm facing a couple of issues with my 2004 F10D Wagon R. Odo reads 67k kms.

After driving my car for 6-7 kms, whenever I stop at a traffic signal, the car's rpm drops significantly, almost at the point of stalling but then it rises by itself. I guess the ECU prevents it from stalling. This cycle repeats till the signal gets green and I move ahead.
Was your washed recently? Any chance of water being sprayed in the engine bay? I faced the exact same issue few months ago when I got my car back after a wash. I observed this when I drove back home for 4-5 kms. IIRC, the issue had self-healed by next morning itself. It was summer time and quite hot at that, so it might have helped with the evaporation.

If the above is not applicable, the part which got wet in my case and was affecting the idling, must be malfunctioning in your case. MAF sensor and Idle control valve come to my mind.
ashis89 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2017, 12:33   #102
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherlocked View Post

Thanks.
Regarding your 1st issue, check/clean the Throttle body, IAC valve and all ignition related components.

Your 2nd issue sounds like faulty transmission mounts/ gear lever bushes. If these are fine, then let me know.

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th December 2017, 20:51   #103

Guys I'm facing a serious problem with my engine.

Mine is a CNG version and has been performing quite well for the past 5 years and 49000 kms. However, recently, I've observed that upon driving for a while with 4 ppl and A/c on, the car simply stalls even with the clutch pressed. This is especially dangerous in slow moving traffic wherein I have no option but to drive on petrol.

Another issue is that my car performs horribly on petrol. The response is completely unpredictable and I need to rev it hard to get it moving else it comes into motion from standstill like a turtle. I've taken the car to 2 different MASS with the issue. The first one, the SA told me that with CNG, I need to give throttle more frequently and for petrol, all they had to say was that the petrol performance degrades with use of CNG as injectors get choked due of lack of use.

Don't see how this is possible as I drive on petrol at least twice a week when I exhaust my CNG apart from the fact that the engine always starts on petrol. Second MASS representative said that the performance is fine even when i told him that the entire 49000 kms has been done solely by me and I can TELL that something is amiss. Still, I got injector cleaning and throttle body overhaul done at both places but to no avail. I drove a friends VXi model purchased at a similar time and it's much better in terms of throttle response.

My clutch is a bit weak due to the age but i doubt that's the issue as the car stalls without any jerks with the clutch pressed. Besides, low load performance on CNG is absolutely fine compared to that on petrol. Any suggestions are welcome. Also, if possible, please suggest a MASS or absolutely any reputed mechanic in Mumbai who can give me an actual analysis and a reasonable solution other than "CNG cars dont run well on petrol" or "We can TRY replacing injectors with new ones and see if it solves the problem". I dont want to blow up 10 grand and be stuck with the same problem.

Last edited by ampere : 6th December 2017 at 21:24.
Old 4th February 2018, 23:20   #104

Quote:
Guys I'm facing a serious problem with my engine.
An update to the above. Apologies for the large post but I want to highlight the problems faced by people like me who are not too well versed with car maintenance and troubleshooting and I sincerely don't wish anyone to suffer the frustration I went through for such a stupid problem and lack of technically sound mechanics.

I generally get my car serviced at an MASS close to home. Lets call them MASS "A". I've been getting my car serviced there for many years and know most of their staff by name. I prefer them as they stick to the routine and don't suggest unnecessary procedures to inflate my bill. Plus, they don't mind if I hang around and watch while the job is being carried out. This time though, due to sheer desperation as MASS "A" was not able to solve my problem, I took my car to the dealership from whom I'd purchased the car. They are a big name but I'd stopped going there because it was blatantly obvious that they were ripping customers off in servicing. I booked an appointment a week in advance and informed them that I was bringing in the car to troubleshoot an issue i was facing. On the decided date, i reached there and was greeted by the SA.

SA: Any complaints, sir.
Me: *explained the issue*
SA: *after noting down everything* She'll be ready by tomorrow.
Me: But you haven't even checked anything yet.
SA: Our mechanics will do that during servicing.
Me: I didn't bring the car in for servicing. I brought her in for a running repair.
SA: Did you mention that when you booked your appointment?
Me: *biting back numerous sarcastic retorts* Yes, I did
SA: *ruffling through his papers* I'll call my superior
(seemed to be a newbie).
Senior SA arrives and hears me out
SA: We'll check everything from the start
Me: I've gotten the 20000 km major routine done just last month when my ODO was at 47000 km. All filters have been renewed, oil changed, injectors cleaned apart from other routines.
SA: Was it done here?
Me: No, it was done at another MASS near my home.
SA: We need to open and check if they've actually done it or just SAID that it's been done.
Me: *rather taken aback at such an open accusation* What if I assure you that it's been done and you consider other options? At least take a test drive and check.
SA: Sorry sir, but if we do that, and the problem persists, we'll have to start all over again. We need to find the "root cause" of the problem.
Me: How much will it cost me?
SA: Once we take your car in, labour charges will go into at least 1500 rupees plus consumables and spares.
Me: Sorry, I don't want that. I've already spent a decent amount on the service last month. Please test drive the car now and give me an estimate.
SA: Sorry sir, but we need time to arrive at the exact solution. Leave the car here and we'll start work by evening.
Me: Prepare my gate pass

Took me a while to complete the feedback formalities and get the hell out of there. This was later followed by multiple calls from their office in the next couple of days asking me why I HADN'T left the car for servicing in spite of booking an appointment.

Next, I went to another MASS closer to my place of work. This was on a cold December morning in extremely sparse traffic. The SA and I went for a test drive with him doing 70+ speeds with a heavy right foot and the car didn't stall even once. I told him that the issue crops up when the accelerator ISN'T held and generally happens in traffic. The SA smugly told me that "driving styles" also have a lot of effect on problems people come up with. I left the place with a badly bruised ego. Although a smartass, at least he didn't try to suggest unnecessary remedies to extract money.

Next, I reached out to a few friends and got the contacts of some local mechanics close to my home. Visited them and received the following analyses.

FNG 1: Clutch has completed its life long ago. Needs replacement. Apart from that, problem is throttle body and/or fuel pump motor.

FNG 2: Clutch is completely gone. Replace it at the earliest. That will solve the problem.
Me: But the car runs fine on CNG when engine is cold. No problem with pick up or acceleration.
FNG 2: Sir, once the clutch heats up, it gives away and the car stalls.
Me: *Gave him an imaginary standing ovation and left*

Now at my absolute wits end, i drove straight to my regular MASS "A" and called up the SA i am familiar with. I told him that this problem has been persisting for too long now and i am NOT leaving without a solution. Take as long as you need. He was a bit taken aback but agreed and we went for a test drive. Finally my car took pity on me and stalled right in the middle of a traffic congested U-turn with the SA at the wheel. At least I was able to prove that there was a problem and that it was critical.

So he took the car in and ran the diagnostic test. The only error being shown was "P2665 - Fuel Shut off valve "B" Control Circuit / Open". I don't know enough about this but the SA said that it was related to the CNG Shutoff valve but that wasn't the reason for the stalling. Anyway, he'd acquired some new diagnostic skills over the months so he had a suggestion. Earlier he'd suggested fitting new injectors but i wasn't willing to spend unless absolutely sure that that was the problem.

SA: You have a friend who owns a Stingray, right. Get him here and we'll exchange your injectors. If that solves the issue, we'll fit your car with new ones and the problem will be solved.
Me: *actually contemplating this* Let's leave this as the absolute last resort

In the meantime, the mechanic working on my car came and whispered something to the SA.
Me: What is it? WHAT IS IT?
SA: There is a problem with the wiring on the throttle position sensor. I'll get it checked.

I wanted to question him that it should have shown up on my dashboard as the "Check Engine" light but decided against it. Anyway, as it turns out, that was the problem all along. Took a test drive and felt like a king, running the car on full a/c in traffic without stalling. Also got both rear wheel bearings changed as there had been a lot of clatter inside the car of late due to a worn out wheel bearing. The SA expressed sincere regret and apologized that he was not able to solve the stalling problem earlier.

Total damage: Around 3500 bucks of which, roughly 600 was for the engine issue.

Good news: My regular MASS identified and solved the problem restoring my lost trust.

Bad news: The problem had begun a week after I'd gotten the throttle body cleaned in May 2017 during servicing. By none other than MASS "A" themselves

Conclusion: The reputed MASS would have probably solved the problem. But they might have charged me for the entire service. FNG 1 would have solved the problem too. But I was turned off because he kept insisting that I change the clutch. If I hadn't gone through the thread on Clutch Scam, I would have probably gotten it done. FNG 2 was absolutely clueless even though the car stalled twice in his presence.

MASS "A" most likely caused the problem 7 months ago. Even if they hadn't, they obviously neglected this particular aspect during the 20000 km service routine in December inspite of me clearly informing them about the long-standing issue. As I understand now, the primary things to check if your car is stalling are the throttle body, injectors and the spark plugs. If your MASS claim it's been done earlier, request them to do it again in your presence.
S.Marine is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th June 2018, 11:11   #105
BHPian

I will be changing the engine oil of my WagonR F10D in next few days and was confused as to which viscosity of oil should I go for?

The manual of my car has the following info:
Issues with WagonR-untitled.png

Now looking at it, it is clear that one should go for 20W-50, 15W-50, 10W-40, 10W-50 or even 10W-30 However the Maruti Service centre has been changing the oil in my car to 5W-30 since the last four or five years. They say it is what is being recommended by Maruti now.
But how does it makes sense if one looks at the ambient temperature graph given?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks