Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th September 2007, 00:14   #61
Team-BHP Support

those are shocking pics, but IMHO silver arrow is going to be absolutely perfect. as from the pics, the ECU should be ok if the water level did not rise after you took the pics. please feel free to call me if any help is needed. believe me these cars can take up a lot of abuse, so dont worry...

Last edited by BlackPearl : 26th September 2007 at 00:17.
Old 26th September 2007, 00:15   #62
Senior - BHPian

Hmm. I'm a little concerned about the ECU. While you did disconnect the battery before the water reached that level, it's still a dicey one. Well, hope for the best.
Insurance should cover most of the costs, since you did not crank the car while it was under water and you took neccessary precautions like disconnecting the battery etc. But yea, do go through the fine print before talking to the insurance guy. IBM should have a contact with the insurance people... they're normally more receptive while dealing with big corporates who give them business!
Old 26th September 2007, 00:22   #63
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvc View Post
Not yet. Will get some inputs tomorrow.

I was trying to estimate some major replacements.

ECM - 25K (if it is affected)
All fluids - 6K
Climate Control - 10K
Security System - 8K
Carpets - 5K
Seats - 30K
Labour - 10K

- Almost a lakh. Are any of these figures waaay off target?
- Where is the ECM located in the Baleno?
- What are the consequences of water in the exhaust pipe?
I dont have any idea why you are thinking about these costs like carpets and seats? they are going to be ok once dried. The ECM should be fine as Baleno's ECM is quite high up behind the glove compartment. Climate control should also be ok once the car is properly dried. Security system is a bit dicey. The oil changes and proper drying should see the silver arrow back in business.
Old 26th September 2007, 00:27   #64
BHPian

OMG, seldom have I been so lost for words as now... totally shocked by the pics!! I didn't realise the situation was so bad from your earlier posts, shuvc.

Unfortunately, my knowledge of what to do with flooded cars is quite elementary since I've never faced one before yesterday... hence I wouldn't be able to give u any advice that hasn't already been provided. The only thing I can do is pray for the Silver Arrow... you know, I have this feeling that its gonna come out of this largely unscathed because of all the preventive measures you've taken. Most of the damage that happens to flood affected cars is because the owner's have no clue how to approach the problem... unknowingly, they do more harm than good.

All the best, and do keep us updated. Btw, how's your fever? Hope you've not neglected your health while attending to the car...
Old 26th September 2007, 00:36   #65
BHPian

This is outrageous. We pay so much in taxes and this is the kind of living conditions that we are getting.

I don't have words to express my feeling. This really sucks.

Hope shuvc's car get back unhurt.
Old 26th September 2007, 01:19   #66
Senior - BHPian

Oh gosh, thats really bad, hope your car is back and the least damage done & please take care of yourself Shuvc, the car will be fine real soon
Old 26th September 2007, 01:32   #67
Senior - BHPian

First things first. My health is fine. No remission of fever since yesterday. Thanks for the good wishes.

@tsk,@BP I'm hanging onto your words !
When I disconnected and removed the battery, the water level was 8-10 inches below where the water ultimately reached. Here's some snaps of the earlier level (11pm Monday night). Within the engine bay the level was below the air filter chamber. The filter chamber was bone dry. It is at this level that the battery was last used (before I took it out) ..

1. To unlock the doors using the remote
2. The cabin & boot lights were on while I disconnected the AMP (had first disconnected the amp power cable from the battery)

The snaps @planet posted earlier were taken around 10 hrs later, on Tuesday morn.

It seems the key factor here could be proper drying. If that is so, I'm in no hurry to get her up and running pronto. Will ask the service guy to let her dry for a week if need be - whilst they dismantle individual items and clean/dry them.

@BP, I wonder if the seats will retain their shape and cushioning, post drying. Hence was considering some guess-timates for replacing them, if need be. The carpets - well possibly drying and cleaning could get them back in shape. The door pad fabric will also probably be affected badly. But I guess those things can be taken care of later.

As of 11pm tonight, the water level seemed to have gone down by 1 solitary inch only - ie almost 20hrs after it stopped raining.

Last edited by shuvc : 26th September 2007 at 01:34.
Old 26th September 2007, 01:41   #68
Team-BHP Support

lets keep our fingers crossed and hope for the best. the best thing IMO would be tow the car as soon as possible to prevent further damage.
Old 26th September 2007, 01:46   #69
Senior - BHPian

I had once left the sunroof open on my red prelude and it rained thru the night. The car smelt like rats for a whole month even after it went pinch dry, nothing could be done to it.
Old 26th September 2007, 01:46   #70
Senior - BHPian

@BP, have a look at these snaps. That's the view from the garage. All streets around the apartment for a minimum of 100-200 metres have that much water, if not more. Don't see a very willing tow truck/insurance agent braving this

It's painful to be able to do nothing but wait - while the car remains exposed to the elements.
Old 26th September 2007, 01:49   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvc;575581

[URL="http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/iipcache/82804.jpg"
[/url]
Wow, what pride! This picture needs to be enlarged and laminated in your drawing room!
Old 26th September 2007, 01:54   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
Wow, what pride! This picture needs to be enlarged and laminated in your drawing room!
haha - kind of 'lets see who can sink deeper' !

The orange light reflections are from a Santro parked in front of my car. The security alarm started blaring in the morning and was at it all day - till I guess the battery drained out. This area had a musical Monday night with quite a few chirping cars.

Now that you see the water level in the streets. Imagine this. Our garage is around 6 inches higher than the street. There are garages in this area which are a foot lower than the streets !!!
Old 26th September 2007, 01:55   #73
Team-BHP Support

will ask Joydeb Da tomorrow morning if anything can be done about this. he has quite a few people known in maruti, so may be he can help. no harm in giving it a try.
Old 26th September 2007, 02:07   #74
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvc View Post

The security alarm started blaring in the morning and was at it all day - till I guess the battery drained out. This area had a musical Monday night with quite a few chirping cars.
Thats quite thoughtless of the owners of the contributors to the orchestra. You said you didn't even have power. Your fever. Then those constant toot-toot. Good you still managed to smile for the camera!
Old 26th September 2007, 02:17   #75
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
Thats quite thoughtless of the owners of the contributors to the orchestra. You said you didn't even have power. Your fever. Then those constant toot-toot. Good you still managed to smile for the camera!
he had another option other than smiling for the camera???

OT: i just found out that the keyboard (my dad's pc) has a Turbo button next to the right shift key (samsung pleomax)

it better to leave the car as it is - let the insurance guys / MASS take a look.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks