Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th September 2007, 17:40   #46
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvd View Post
I shudder to think about the RS repair bills.
I feel for him too. The owner has the RS, NHC Vtec and a Santro parked in the same garage.
Old 25th September 2007, 18:08   #47
BHPian

Sorry about the damage! But, since you removed the battery before any electrical damage occured, i think the car may be fine on that count. An electrical check will have to be done, but what i am saying is, after completely drying the whole thing, the electricals may work perfectly fine. There is definitely no short circuit to damage anything as of now. But do ensure that when the battery is plugged back in, the electricals are checked before that.

I am hoping that Maruti does a good job of drying the entire stuff before cranking the car.
Old 25th September 2007, 18:41   #48
BHPian

This is reall nightmare, watrelogging is a regular problem in that area. Just hope that the baby turns up nice after the service job.
Old 25th September 2007, 19:17   #49
BHPian

@shuvc
Don't worry. Since car wasn't cranked at water, engine should be ok. However, reverting it back to original condition will be quite involving task.

You have done whatever possible and some things in life are just in Gods hand.

Here is a step by step instruction how water/flood damaged car can be rectified (interior) to its full glory
Cleaning up a flood damaged vehicle

For engine/transmission http://agbiopubs.sdstate.edu/articles/ExEx1013.pdf

Get well soon.
Old 25th September 2007, 19:46   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet_rocker View Post
here are pics of the Silver Arrow - poor baby! (dont worry! you will be ok)
HOLY COW....! Sorry man, I can feel the pain. Any news from the insurance guys....?
Old 25th September 2007, 20:47   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alabjarus View Post
HOLY COW....! Sorry man, I can feel the pain. Any news from the insurance guys....?
Not yet. Will get some inputs tomorrow.

I was trying to estimate some major replacements.

ECM - 25K (if it is affected)
All fluids - 6K
Climate Control - 10K
Security System - 8K
Carpets - 5K
Seats - 30K
Labour - 10K

- Almost a lakh. Are any of these figures waaay off target?
- Where is the ECM located in the Baleno?
- What are the consequences of water in the exhaust pipe?
Old 25th September 2007, 21:07   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvc View Post
...Will the gearbox, clutch need to be opened ?
- Sigh. dreading the day when I'll be given an estimate ! What do you guys think ? 50K ? 1L ....
Those pictures are very disturbing. Really feel for you man!

The transmission and differential housings are supposed to be leakproof both ways. However, in the late nineties, I'd left my MM540 at the mercy of the Mumbai floods for one entire season without driving i.e. it got flooded in many times over. A few months later after I got rid of the rats(!), I drove it as it was from Mumbai to Bangalore, where I would have more time to give it a good cleaning and makeover. When I took it to India Garage, they showed me that there was water filled in the differential and the hypoid/pinion were rusted, some of the teeth had even broken. Overhauling the differential in that very basic vehicle then cost me Rs. 10K. There was no sign of water in the transmission or bell housing, but I had fresh oil forced in and drained out before a refill, just to make sure.
Old 25th September 2007, 21:17   #53
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Quote:
- Where is the ECM located in the Baleno?
- What are the consequences of water in the exhaust pipe?
ECM is right behind the passengers glove compartment. I don't think water has reached the ECU yet looking at the in cabin pictures.

You might have a rusted exhaust and possible damage to the cat con. OE exhaust costs upwards of 10k. If insurance is not willing to pay for most of it let me know, I could source almost everything for you.
Old 25th September 2007, 21:30   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885 View Post
ECM is right behind the passengers glove compartment. I don't think water has reached the ECU yet looking at the in cabin pictures.
The water level is almost in line with the top of the glove compartment door. If, as you say, it is behind the GC, shouldn't it be under water ?Where is the ECU accessed from ? The engine bay or by dismantling the glove compartment ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885 View Post
If insurance is not willing to pay for most of it let me know, I could source almost everything for you.
That's reassuring . Thanks.
Old 25th September 2007, 21:40   #55
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Quote:
The water level is almost in line with the top of the glove compartment door. If, as you say, it is behind the GC, shouldn't it be under water ?Where is the ECU accessed from ? The engine bay or by dismantling the glove compartment ?
The ECU can be accessed by removing the glove compartment. The pics I saw earlier were not that clear. But if the water has already reached that far up, the I think your ECU is gone.
Old 25th September 2007, 22:03   #56
Team-BHP Support

Most electronic components, if not powered up white wet, can survive water.
So there is a possibility that you lose very little.
Just make sure that before you reconnect the battery the car is completely dry. You may have to tow it to a sunny location and let in dry for a couple of days.
I would also suggest that after drying you hit the old market area of your city and get around 500 sachels of silica gel.
The cost is around Rs. 95.
After the strew all of them liberally in the car(glove compartment, engine bay etc.,) and let it dry for a day. They will take care of most of the residual moisture.
Old 25th September 2007, 22:25   #57
Distinguished - BHPian

Thats a real shocking situation your Baleno is in. Looks like a scene straight out of Kevin Costner's Waterworld. My wishes are with your car man!

I think good suggestions have been offered all -around. Calling the insurance advisor before the service advisor is a great idea.
Old 25th September 2007, 22:36   #58
Team-BHP Support

shuv i think u acted ok, silver will survive but the tab will be all lil more i feel. really sad pics.

again if ecu was disconnected before water gettin there, it along with other electrical circuits will be aok. but throughly dry before you power up. again parts like alternator and starter, just dimantel > dry > refit and then power up.

DO NOT CONNECT BATTERY BEFORE COMPLETE INSPECTION

Last edited by Jaggu : 25th September 2007 at 22:39.
Old 25th September 2007, 22:43   #59
Senior - BHPian

When you call insurance, reiterate that the car had not been tried to be cranked under water. And you have taken precautionary measures like disconnecting the battery (this is significant as it neautralised the circuits) and covering the air intake. Tell them that you will not move the car until they take over. Your car is not yours anymore.

On the otherhand, about exhaust and all, dont bother, the cat-con could have gone in contact with water , but this should be covered under insurance.

We pay a high amount yearly for insurance, now its time for them to deliver. Although we also pay taxes to a black-hole.

What you can do later, if your parking spot is fixed, it to raise the floor to about 1.5 feet higher. Our garage is at the plinth level rather than at the road level, because flooding is a common problem in Calcutta and it happens in a big way almost every alternate year.

Last edited by 1100D : 25th September 2007 at 22:48.
Old 26th September 2007, 00:12   #60
Senior - BHPian

shuvc.. Howz ur fever. Just take care of ur health.. I am sure ur Baleno will be fine. A lil puddle..okk.. a big one isnt going to drown her just yet.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks