Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 6th June 2012, 01:13   #61
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (9)
Re: Petrol smell in the car

I had this problem of petrol smell occasionally that mysteriously went away after 4th service of my Gypsy. I think it is the overflow tank in the engine bay passenger side that collects the extra petrol if you press the accelerator to hard resulting in unburnt fuel?

Maybe my driving style changed and I dont do that anymore ...

--R
Old 10th December 2013, 18:51   #62

Re: Petrol Smell inside Fiat Petra Cabin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rai View Post
Hello Gurus,
I have 2003 Model Fiat Petral 1.6 ELX with 80K in Odo.

Off late I am getting a very strong Petrol Smell inside the Cabin once in a while (Not Always). I always drive with 100% AC, with vent adjusted to outside Air (fresh Air) .
I have got this issue checked from more than one Dealer as well as many expert mechanics. Every Mechanic says, everything is OK and No issues.

Any idea as what may be the issue.
This could be due to leaking AC compressor oil. It may be worthwhile to get this checked. If the oil leaks out completely the compressor will die. Repair or replacement can be very expensive.
Old 10th December 2013, 23:33   #63
BHPian

For most of the Maruti / Suzuki check the following and you will solve the petrol smell

1. Charcoal Canister, which is in the engine bay [It a box with two pipes]; this basically absorbs the vapors from the tank; if this is too old the charcoal is not absorbing anymore and you can get smell

2. Look at the fuel pipes on the above canister, bend them to see if they crack, if in doubt change them

3. If carb model; check for all fuel in and return hoses and the do the same as point 2

4; Check for Fuel leak near the fuel; just before the filter; Guess on esteem its inches ahead the rear right tire
Old 23rd April 2014, 00:16   #64
BHPian

Ever since i purchased a pre-owned Ford Ikon 1.6... observing petrol/oil smell. Initially i thought it is coming from the car perfume i was using and changed the same.

Still issue was there and yesterday i mentioned this to mechanic when giving the car for regular service. During TD he said it is definitely petrol smell only..

They checked everything from petrol tank till engine and could not find any leakage or block.

I have noticed the smell comes from AC vent. Especially when i switch on AC and some time later switch it off, immediately the smell comes.

I am not sure whether it is petrol or oil or some other smell, but it is unbearable.

What are all the parts/things i should check to fix this...
Old 23rd April 2014, 21:03   #65
BHPian

Even I have the same problem in my Ritz Zxi. I am smelling petrol fumes intermittently. I have to switch off in-car air-circulation to let fresh air in. This has started after last full service in Feb when the fuel filter was changed. Does it have something to do with this?
Old 24th April 2014, 16:19   #66
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankan.m.blr View Post
This has started after last full service in Feb when the fuel filter was changed. Does it have something to do with this?
Ankan, do check if any leaks are present in fuel line. I guess that should be the case since as you mentioned the problem happened after replacing fuel filter. It may not be noticeable if engine is switched off, I guess best option will be to keep engine running while checking the same.
mpksuhas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th April 2014, 20:33   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
Ankan, do check if any leaks are present in fuel line. I guess that should be the case since as you mentioned the problem happened after replacing fuel filter. It may not be noticeable if engine is switched off, I guess best option will be to keep engine running while checking the same.
Thnx for the clue, mpksuhas! Any suggestion where I should get it checked in Blr? I generally do servicing from Pratham Motors, Bellandur.
Old 24th April 2014, 20:57   #68
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankan.m.blr View Post
Any suggestion where I should get it checked.
Pratham should be able to fix it, however I would suggest you check the same before going over at your place.
Old 1st May 2014, 13:45   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbalagru6 View Post
Ever since i purchased a pre-owned Ford Ikon 1.6... observing petrol/oil smell. Initially i thought it is coming from the car perfume i was using and changed the same.

Still issue was there and yesterday i mentioned this to mechanic when giving the car for regular service. During TD he said it is definitely petrol smell only..

They checked everything from petrol tank till engine and could not find any leakage or block.

I have noticed the smell comes from AC vent. Especially when i switch on AC and some time later switch it off, immediately the smell comes.

I am not sure whether it is petrol or oil or some other smell, but it is unbearable.

What are all the parts/things i should check to fix this...
hi

I had a similar problem in my vento . Initially there was this petrol smell just after I had topped up my tank I looked up and down but could not find anything and the smell too disappeared pretty soon.
The next time I topped up my petrol tank I saw that there was a leak of petrol beneath the car.

Later it was found to be from the top of the Fuel tank cover which also housed the level float switch. This is right beneath the rear seat which was why I could smell it during the first time. Of course it was a very minor leak occurring only when the tank was full and as the level in the tank went down it stopped almost immediately.
The 2nd time it had become a little worse and which was why I was able to spot it and sort it out.

I hope you have done it already ; otherwise please do take your car to a service centre ASAP and get the matter sorted out.
atlantis0965 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2014, 19:15   #70
BHPian

I have a 2005 WagonR and for the last few months, I was getting severe petrol smell inside the cabin irrespective of whether the AC is turned on or off. It starts after a continuous running engine for around 30 to 45 mins.

I took the car to Maruti Service and they cleaned up the AC, Fuel lines and what not. Immediately after the service problem seemed to disappear. But, it has come back again. I opened the bonnet and there's no smell from the engine bay, not even leaking petrol. But, I observed that when I stand next to the driver door, I can smell the fuel outside.

My FE has plummeted to 260-270 kms for 30 lts. What can be the reason? Can anyone help?

Thanks,

Vivek
Old 25th October 2015, 08:07   #71
BHPian

I have a 2015 Ford Ecosport AT (Titanium version). It is my wife's car and she drives 25 km one way 3 days a week.

Since the first service (which was done @ 2500KM), she has been complaining about petrol smell in the cabin. I thought it might be something to do with spill in the cabin and got 3M cleaning done. I also got some good car scents to make sure the cabin freshens up, but nothing resolved the issue. I tried all these because the Ford service that I have near my house does not pick up calls at all, no matter what. Even if they pick up, the response and service is not on par.

Anyways, it came to a point where my wife literally stopped driving the car as she complained of headaches and feeling nauseated whenever she drives the car. I barged in one day early in the morning into the service center. They said, they don't have any appointments. I told them how least I care about their appointment system and they better look at it on priority.

Here's the surprise - seems like they knew exactly what the problem was. The SA came, took the keys and told me that its a 5 min job and he should be out in no time. Came back in 10 mins and asked me to drive it around for a week as he had cleaned some clogged pipe which was causing the petrol fumes to enter the cabin. Lo and behold; no petrol smell for almost 4-5 days. But as he predicted, the smell came back again in a week. Maybe thats how much far the clog is in the pipe . Dudes estimation was right on.

SA's explanation: The fumes from the petrol tank need an outlet to get out. Now this goes through a pipe which was clogged.

Now here are my questions/concerns:
How in the world the fumes end up in the cabin and not outside the cabin?
How dangerous (flammable) is this?
If the SAs are aware of this issue, is Ford doing something about it? These are the same vehicles that are being exported to Europe if am not wrong.
Old 1st February 2016, 08:55   #72
BHPian

Smell of Petrol and a cracked Fuel Filter

Since a few weeks a string smell of fuel was observed inside the cabin while driving. And drops of fuel on the floor right below the fuel tank was noticed at the parking lot. We were clueless as from where the fuel was leaking.

Finally the car was taken to a mechanic who parked the car in his ramp and opened up the fuel tank shield. There was lot of petrol around the pipes and the fuel filter. Upon key on the filter sprayed a mist of fuel through a crack developed at the joint. The filter was replaced and peace of mind restored.
Attached Thumbnails
Petrol smell in the car-img20160131wa0018.jpg  

Petrol smell in the car-img20160131wa0017.jpg  

ilangop is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th January 2017, 19:20   #73
BHPian

Bumping up an old thread.

I noticed the smell of petrol in my Altis, when we had gone on an outstation trip on last Sunday. The smell was not present all the times, but only when I was accelerating from 30 kph onwards up to 80 kph. Also, this smell was not present at every occasion of acceleration. It disappeared after 200 km of driving.

I did not see anything leaking underneath the car or in the engine bay. And there is no smell since that Sunday trip. Do I need to get the fuel tank and fuel lines inspected? Have a 1000 km trip scheduled in the next week.
Old 25th May 2017, 15:10   #74
BHPian

Hi guys, I've started having the same kind of issue in my Swift Petrol too. The smell doesn't start immediately but rather starts after some kms. I first started noticing this smell from the left front wheels after s drive. Today I kept the AC in fresh air mode for a while and there it was the same smell which was very strong to an extent that it was nauseating. I've not noticed any gas puddles under the car when parked as well. I think it has got something to do with the charcoal canister since the smell comes from the left side of the front wheel which is closer to the canister. Anybody solved this kind of issue by replacing the canister?
Old 7th May 2022, 03:36   #75
BHPian

First of all thanks to mods for approving my signup request. This is my first post and probably the right time to ask the query I have.

I have Alto Lxi more than 10 year old. It gets overall very infrequently driven. You can imagine that it’s sitting in parking for a stretch of even 8 – 10 days many a times.

This is the fourth consecutive year where I have a peculiar observation.
Come mid March or beginning April (dry and hot weather) and I start very mildly smelling petrol inside the car. Come mid June it starts to rain, then weather cools and then the smell completely disappears until next April. Since last 4 years this observation is consistent.

There’s nothing unusual about the vehicle during summer otherwise. No visible loss of petrol as per the indicator or any other issue. Vehicle is running normally. Theirs is no noticeable drop in mileage as well. +/- 1 or 2 KM here and there.

Once I discussed this with service center but they could not do much.
Rest of the 10 months, apparently nothing is broken so there’s nothing to fix?

Any experts have any comments?
Just as a side comment. I even smell petrol sometimes near a random vehicle on street in summer. E.g. I am passing by roadside; a vehicle is parked besides and as I cross it closely, I momentarily smell petrol!

I am puzzled and unable to add this up!
Thanks for reading. Regards.

Some more inputs to the above query -
1. The smell has nothing to do with driving or starting the engine. It just comes even if car is parked for a few days
2. The car is generally parked in covered parking and when driven in hot sunny day there's no noticable increase in the smell. It's just the same.
If you need any more inputs, please let me know. Thanks.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 7th May 2022 at 11:46. Reason: Merged consecutive posts.

Most Viewed