Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th May 2022, 01:22   #76

Re: Petrol smell in the car

Hello BHPians,

This is my first post after purchasing a used Tata Tiago XT Revotron 2016 model. I have this car with me since a week and have taken my car out a few times within city limits (max. 15-17 kms in a day) since then.

After driving and coming out of my car I have noticed that there is smell of petrol near fuel lid and also rear section of the bonnet. This remains for a while and then goes away. I have not seen anything leaking underneath the car and also didn't find any smell inside the car while driving / sitting idle.

I am still a novice in this field. Need to know if this is a genuine problem and what could be the reason behind this. What should I do for such a case?

Thanks in advance!
abhishekr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2022, 14:05   #77
BHPian

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...ml#post5311815 (Petrol smell in the car)

Well it rained. Temps have come down and the smell has gone for now for at least till March-23!
Old 7th January 2023, 17:35   #78
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Strong Petrol smell in my Dad’s Glanza.

We filled up a full tank today. Immediately noticed a strong petrol smell. Took it home and parked it.
The smell was persisting even after 4 -5 hours.
Dad said he had raised this with Toyota service Madras earlier though it wasn't as strong at that time and they said nothing was wrong and this was normal. Because it only happened when he filled the tank and was not a strong smell they said it might be a vent pipe or overflow pipe and not to worry.

I DID worry as petrol leak is a serious thing. Though there werent any puddles or drops or dripping or anything, the smell was the main indicator.
So we took it to Nandi Toyota this early evening and called their customer servce manager and the technicians.

They immediately raised the vehicle on the 2 post emergency express servicd bay and there we were! There is clearly a tiny leak, we could see the telltale dried rivulets and of course the smell - we dont yet know whether it is a feeder pipe or other hose or the fibre tank connector itself but it appears to be coming from there.

So the car is safely inside Nandi Toyota lifted up on the service bay. They will open and check the vehicle on Monday. And see if we need to just have a hose or connector changed or whether it requires the whole tank and attendant hose assemblies.

The tank and assembly costs 6500 plus tax plus labour etc so I think it may hit 10-12K in terms of the repair bill. I believe it will be best to claim insurance on this piece.

For the moment I am much happier the car is in the service centre than at home because petrol is so volatile that it is a fire hazard in this dry season. All it takes is a careless cigarette or even an electric spark or similar.

For the record I am most impressed with the quality of care and attention at Nandi Toyota. Great people. Great service. Immediate, Professional attention given.

It is also because over the last few years we have had this car and on his visits to Bangalore my Dad has built cordial relationships with the people at Nandi Toyota Service in Kudlu Gate area. He prefers largely to have this car’s annual servicing done here in Bangalore.

But lets see what happens next. Will update more details after we find out the status.
Attached Thumbnails
Petrol smell in the car-a2bf801ff88d46db8e283e572ab30c7f.jpeg  

Last edited by shankar.balan : 7th January 2023 at 17:37.
Old 11th January 2023, 17:36   #79
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Problem with fuel smell in the car traced to O Ring Seal - hose pipe Gasket in the Fuel Tank. Car left at Toyota Service. This is a rare fault and a pretty rare part problem of wearing out according to the service agent. They took some time to procure it. Part came to the centre on Monday evening. They had to dismantle and remove the tank and then fit it , the car was ready Tuesday evening. We picked the car up today. No petrol smell now. The cost was quite nominal at Rs 1800 ish. Excellent service from Nandi Toyota Kudlu Gate.

Am attaching a pic of the part and the bill.
Attached Thumbnails
Petrol smell in the car-54edeb1ca62b4cc9b00c38c0113bef0f.jpeg  

Petrol smell in the car-c0c30dd69f4d4f7091f18622ac078303.jpeg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks