Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st July 2009, 12:29   #46
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
I like to use it since I feel it gives me a smoother ride, and also the probability of adulteration is lesser as compared to normal fuel. I just want to ensure it can't cause any harm in a new engine, and don't mind the additional cost as my car usage is very low anyway.
Gansan,

Yes, the drive with Shell's premium petrol is smooth. Have noticed the same when I used to fill it in my old carb M 800. The FE also improves though only marginally. I have filled this in my current cars and have noticed only a marginally improvement in FE in my city drives. There is no harm done to your engine.

IMO, it will be better to use premium petrol once every 10 to 15 tank fills as it will clean the fuel system.

Cheers,
gpa
Old 31st July 2009, 13:02   #47
Senior - BHPian

gpa,

If it will not cause any harm, I feel it is better to use it continuously rather than sporadically. Have a look at this:
MPFI Systems: Part II - An FAQ on Additives

I suppose he is talking about additives that we ourselves can add to the fuel,
but what HP/Shell blend with their premium fuels can't be any different
Old 31st July 2009, 13:19   #48
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Gansan,

An interesting read. I have never used any additives, but have been using Shell's premium petrol once every 10 tank fills in the Santro since it was new. I have now covered ~56,000 kms and have not had any problems. I have used it only twice (back-to-back fills) in my Alto so I don't think that counts. I think its safe to say that it won't harm your vehicle like mentioned in the article.

There is a difference I reckon in the petol with additives blended in at the factory like Shell Premium and others and feel that this is a more complete process which should not be cause for worry. However, with additives being poured into the tank, what can happen is anyone's guess.
Old 6th September 2010, 11:27   #49
BHPian

For my WagonR, I used Premium fuels almost throughout. Sold it for 1.15L after 7 years/85K kms, it was LX. Engine always felt great, could race much newer cars. Though, I got injector cleaned few times as well. But, I think premium fuel made world of difference.

For my Manza, avoided premium fuel for first 5K, but last 2 fills have been Turbojet.

One of the drivers for prem fuel is lower rate of adulteration - a theoretical perspective when one puts on the hat of oil marcoms.
Old 6th September 2010, 11:38   #50
BHPian

I'm using the regular fuel for my ALTO, It's in the run in period, As GTO said in his earlier post, using un-adultered fuel is most important than using premium fuel. I try to stick to SHELL most of the times but if I'm running out of gas any other decent looking gas station is OK for me!

Cheers!
-Z
Old 10th September 2010, 09:14   #51
BHPian

I own Fiat Linea Emotion (Diesel) [just 2 weeks old], please guide if the diesel supplied by Shell pumps are "Premium Diesel", because the fiat manual says NOT TO USE PREMIUM FUEL,

I filled 500Rs. worth diesel from Shell pump (rate was Rs. 47 per litre).. Now I am not sure if the diesel was premium one or normal :(

Regds,
qARS
Old 10th September 2010, 10:37   #52
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by qAnand View Post
I own Fiat Linea Emotion (Diesel) [just 2 weeks old], please guide if the diesel supplied by Shell pumps are "Premium Diesel", because the fiat manual says NOT TO USE PREMIUM FUEL,

I filled 500Rs. worth diesel from Shell pump (rate was Rs. 47 per litre).. Now I am not sure if the diesel was premium one or normal :(

Regds,
qARS

Shell does not stock premium diesel anymore(atleast in the pump where i go).Their normal diesel iteself in priced at a premium of 4.50 rupees than its competitors .I suggest instead of shell diesel you fill up with Xtra Mile or Turbo Jet diesel.They are very good and lighter on your pocket too!
Old 10th September 2010, 14:27   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by qAnand View Post
I own Fiat Linea Emotion (Diesel) [just 2 weeks old], please guide if the diesel supplied by Shell pumps are "Premium Diesel", because the fiat manual says NOT TO USE PREMIUM FUEL.

Regds,
qARS
regular diesel costs Rs. 36.50/litre where i live
Old 10th September 2010, 14:33   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fink_ployd View Post
regular diesel costs Rs. 36.50/litre where i live
Diesel Price in delhi isnt Rs 36.50/ litre Its Rs 37.71/Litre. Are you talking about some other place?
Old 10th September 2010, 14:39   #55

Yes, gurgaon, its 36.59

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks