Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th October 2007, 12:54   #1
Senior - BHPian

premium vs normal fuel during run-in period of the car

As the name of the thread says, this doubt is about using the premium fuel(power, extra premium, shell super etc...) on ur new car..

I somewhere read that during run-in, it is better to use regular fuel.

as i am no expert, i am so far putting regular petrol for my swift.

but now that my car has almost crossed 3000 mark, i just wanted to know if i can now start using premium fuel..

what are the pros(pros i can think few..) and cons(I want to know if there are any..)

or should i wait for some more time before starting to use premium fuel on my car..

My observations so far(tried and tested on my bike)

I usually fill for a fixed denomination(eg: 200rs ) so if i use a shell super or HP power, the fuel quantity that goes in is less.(due to higher price)

but advantages i can think of are

1. smoother engine
2. spark plug remains clean(less carbon)
3. emission levels lower( checked this during 6 months emission test)
4. considering the fact that less fuel goes in for given amount,i still get same FE(which means, premium fuel also gives me more FE)

So can you gurus tell me the cons(if there are any of using them)

also, is it the right time to use premium fuel on my car(3K run) or should i wait for some more time...so it doesnt really matter.. how much it has run ?
Old 16th October 2007, 13:00   #2
Senior - BHPian

I also used to fill premium fuel (Rs. 1.50 costlier than the normal one) in my new Corolla. However, on the advice of Toyota's dealers in the first service, I switched back to normal.
Old 16th October 2007, 13:20   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Irrespective of normal vs premium, ensuring pure fuel matters most. Next of course, there are the known differences between regular and premium fuels.
Old 16th October 2007, 13:22   #4
rks
BANNED

I have been using Speed in my Santro for as long as I can remember. But I don't remember when exactly I made the switch to Speed, and wheter I did it during the running-in period.

In the last two years, I have been consistenly pushing my car to high speeds and it is immediately clear to me that if I use Speed from certain bunks, the pickup and top speed increase noticeably, while at other bunks I do not get the same performance.

Recently my fuel pump gave problems (jerking during acceleration) on the way to Mumbai. Must have been due to adulterated Speed. So I have currently switched to Speed 97 from the BP bunk near the inlet toll gate to the Expressway (Pune side). The Speed 97 from this bunk gives a noticeable increase in pickup and smoothness as compared to even the Speed 97 in a couple of other bunks.

I am glad that my Santro can handle the high-octane fuel and I cannot think of any disadvantages except for the high cost. I am not able to comment on the mileage. Too many variables, but I still think mileage is still slightly higher.

Unless the manufacturer has explicitly banned the use of premium fuels, I would recommend their use in almost any modern MPFI engine with an ECU.
Old 16th October 2007, 13:39   #5
BHPian

I have rarely used premium fuels on my cars, but have been using System D + Regular diesel on my Indica from its early days and System G + regular petrol in my Esteem MPFI from day one. The advantages have been smooth running (and idling) and better FE. Not to say the peace of mind that the car's injectors would be relatively cleaner. I guess it also helps in keeping the fuel tank cleaner (but it's just a guess).

I really don't think there are any cons of using premium fuels during running-in period of the car as it has no effect on the required wear 'n tear of engine components and blending in of other moving components.
Old 16th October 2007, 13:54   #6
BHPian

i shifted to premium petrol recently on both my cars. results are pretty good. like any layman i thought that putting a premium petrol will spoil the car.

but actually i am getting better mileage and performance from the cars. pick up is excellant now and car is running pretty smoothly.

i found xtra premium from indian oil is the best so far.
Old 16th October 2007, 14:09   #7
rks
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by rks View Post
I am glad that my Santro can handle the high-octane fuel and I cannot think of any disadvantages except for the high cost. [...]
Unless the manufacturer has explicitly banned the use of premium fuels, I would recommend their use in almost any modern MPFI engine with an ECU.
One possible disadvantage in certain cars might be that the additives used in premium fuels can harm the catalytic converter. That may be one reason why some manufacturers recommend against premium fuels.
Old 16th October 2007, 15:47   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rks View Post
One possible disadvantage in certain cars might be that the additives used in premium fuels can harm the catalytic converter. That may be one reason why some manufacturers recommend against premium fuels.
Hey rks, how could the fuel additives harm the CC!? Do the additives get combusted and mixed in the exhaust gases or something like that? Gurus, please shed some light on this!
Old 16th October 2007, 16:43   #9
Senior - BHPian

Thanks guys..

Any idea about what maruti recommends on Swift petrol ?

In their owners manual they mention to use only regular fuel, has anyone tried on Swift and have a good feedback ?
Old 16th October 2007, 17:33   #10
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Guys, premium fuel on a regular car (like the Swift) is just wating your money. Any benefits felt are more psychological than actual.
Old 16th October 2007, 17:41   #11
Senior - BHPian

As noted above, I have been filling my Corolla with IOC's normal fuel (from company owned and operated for what it is worth). I have just checked its specs and IOC says it is Grade MS91 (BS III) with a RON of 91. Toyota Corolla's owner manual also recommends RON of 91. So perhaps Toyota's service dealer was right in advising me to switch to normal. I have not noticed any difference in FE after switching from premium (for first 900 kms) to normal (now around 11500 kms on the odo).
Old 16th October 2007, 17:42   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Guys, premium fuel on a regular car (like the Swift) is just wating your money. Any benefits felt are more psychological than actual.
i liked that reply...

i went through some other threads and found that fuel such as HP power(which are regular fuel with additives) are not high octane fuel(they are only 87 octane) but they have performance boosting additives.

Do you feel that even these are useless?

I am talking about the normal fuel with additives and not the high octane fuel, which is preferred by those sports cars
Old 16th October 2007, 18:19   #13
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Do you feel that even these are useless?
Absolutely. Marketing gimmicks targetted at more $$$ for the oil companies. Regular petrol is best for most cars. As themag said, just ensure that it is pure petrol and you are all set.
Old 16th October 2007, 21:37   #14
BHPian

Well, as you mentioned, getting better quality of fuel from a good bunk is important & consistancy helps. However, in my earlier Baleno - I observed that IOC xtra premium did offer smoother ride compared to normal one - though it did not do wonders on FE.

Quote:
Absolutely. Marketing gimmicks targetted at more $$$ for the oil companies. Regular petrol is best for most cars. As themag said, just ensure that it is pure petrol and you are all set.
Old 17th October 2007, 05:36   #15
BHPian

Quote:

i just have to say man , trust me with my cars feel & my car a swift loves , LOVES speed 97 , filled up on two separate occasions and felt even slightly heard [ i am a sound engineer , so really into sound ] a definate difference in performance and smoothness especially at the red line

normally fill power which is 91 octane in mumbai and some 14 other cities

even sonax octane boost is felt & heard at all rpms , torque definately goes up as well as over all smoothness

the engine just is happier and more fun to drive

have to say i drive really hard and that my fuel system and engine is kept as clean as possible + mobil 1 + k&n , so my car would respond to an octane boost apparently very happily

i swear by this

ps i cant affford fuel period!! very very fortunately my car is an office car so i have an account at a particular pump which doesnt have SPEED at all let alone speed 97
That upsets me tremendously

Plus my FE is normally 7.80 ish with 97 at the same driving style i got 9.0 ish kmpl
thats a fact

cheers boys
cy

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks