Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th September 2014, 16:28   #31
BHPian

Re: Synthetic Gear Oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by straight6 View Post
I guess you could inform him that they could carry more grades of oil and keep the site more updated . The engine oils seem to be Tata and Fiat specific.
I would surely ask him but his plan is to only cater to Fiat only.
Old 19th September 2014, 01:09   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyBoi View Post
Tutela Technyx 75W-80 is the only GL4+ Fully Synthetic Gearbox oil available in India. All the rest are GL5 which are bad for gearboxes with synchro rings. The only other GL4+ Full Synth oil I know of is the Redline MT

I'm using Tutela Technyx in my car and its a marked improvement over whatever was there before
The Xado oil is rated 3/4/5 together! I wonder how that's possible.

Redline oil is not sold in India. I may just go with the Tutela too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by latentpotential View Post
There are no extra charges for shipping as far as whatever I have bought from them so far. i.e. price includes shipping cost.

Further, it is actually a site specific to Fiats in terms of spares and consumables, but products such as oils are common throughout, as long as you know and stick to the specification you need. So we, non-fiat users can also buy from here at their reasonable rates.
I didn't see the 5W-30 so mentioned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zodak View Post
I would surely ask him but his plan is to only cater to Fiat only.
That's unfortunate since their customer service is good as most have vouched for.
Old 25th April 2015, 19:40   #33
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by straight6 View Post
I did find Xado, a Ukranian brand but its bloody expensive!
====
http://www.99rpm.com/fiat/oils-fluid...75w-85-1l.html
Quote:
99 RPM is a reliable Indian site. I guess a few BHPians including myself have bought oils from here already.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zodak View Post
I can vouch for www.99rpm.com .Though I haven't bought anything from it but it's founder is my friend and he is a great guy(we worked together before he left to do 99rpm full time). Let me know if I can be of any help.
+1 Was checking for oil for the Santro, was running Shell Helix Ultra and thought will try this site. 5200 MRP they sold me for 2900 plus transportation from Delhi to Bangalore over surface 1xx Rs, so total 3100 Rs for 4 liters. Cheaper by 1000 from what i bought 2 years back!

Came in a big pack with can neatly packed in another plastic cover.

Recommended!
Old 25th April 2015, 20:33   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
+1 Was checking for oil for the Santro, was running Shell Helix Ultra and thought will try this site. 5200 MRP they sold me for 2900 plus transportation from Delhi to Bangalore over surface 1xx Rs, so total 3100 Rs for 4 liters. Cheaper by 1000 from what i bought 2 years back!

Came in a big pack with can neatly packed in another plastic cover.

Recommended!
Excellent. I have also observed in my purchases this year that their prices are lower than whats available in any store in my area. Even after discounting, the stores are not able to match the price offered. I wonder how they are able to do this. Further, did you check the manufacture/ import date on your oil bottles? I have almost always got oil from within the last 8-9 months.
Old 26th April 2015, 22:09   #35
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I have almost always got oil from within the last 8-9 months.
Feb 2015 to be precise which is actually exceptional. I scanned through almost every visible text to check if i was getting a fake product. Still can't figure out how they out price the competition?!
Old 26th April 2015, 23:18   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Feb 2015 to be precise which is actually exceptional. I scanned through almost every visible text to check if i was getting a fake product. Still can't figure out how they out price the competition?!

More likely to be a direct 1:1 retail model, a warehouse-customer model without a middle man. Hope the model lasts longer than the similar model that existed in tyres a few years back, before it was swiftly stiffled.
theMAG is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2015, 11:35   #37
BHPian

I have an Accord AT and i recently switched to synthetic oil, will update my experience shortly as i am having a complete car overhaul.
Old 21st March 2017, 13:03   #38
Senior - BHPian

The Owner's Manual of our Elite i20 CRDi Recommends to use 70W Gear Oil. But as far as I know, this grade is not available in India.

The frequency for replacement given in Normal Maintenance Schedule is 60000Kms. If operated in severe conditions like dusty, rough roads, heavy traffic, high ambient temp. (above 40 Deg. C), frequency given is 30000kms.

Also on checking Hyundai India Website, HMIL recommends to use 75W85 Gear Oil in Elite i20/i20 Active. Also in the Frequency Column, it is given to Inspect only for i20/Elite i20/i20 Active.

I am totally confused.

I had replaced the Gear Oil at 29545Kms with 75W90 GL-4 Gear Oil at FNG.
Now should I replace the Gear Oil or not considering above? If yes, which oil to be used- 70W, 75W85, 75W90?
I don't want to go at HASS.
Old 19th November 2017, 12:14   #39
BHPian

70w75 Thinnest
75w85 Medium
75w90 Medium
80w90 Thickest

Apart from 70w75 which is probably no longer manufactured, i have tested all others. 75w85 feels best and recommended for most Japanese synchromesh gears. With 80w90 gears felt bit tighter (not immediately but soon after few weeks), with 75w85 car felt lighter which also translates to improved fuel consumption.

Avoid anything that says HD or EP which means heavy duty/extreme pressure as these are closer to GL5 category.

In India 80w90 is most popular and mechanics will say that there is hardly any difference between 75 and 80. Well if there is hardly any difference then why do companies manufacture these oils?

I recommend go for 75w85 and avoid multi category oils (gl4/gl5) stick with gl4 only.
Old 19th November 2017, 12:33   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoXLGrandDi View Post
I am totally confused. I had replaced the Gear Oil at 29545Kms with 75W90 GL-4 Gear Oil at FNG. Now should I replace the Gear Oil or not considering above? If yes, which oil to be used- 70W, 75W85, 75W90? I don't want to go at HASS.
No need to be confused, just follow the grade and drain intervals in the manual. The reason they say only inspect is the factory filled GB oil is generally for the life of the car unless you operate the vehicle in conditions that are outside the norms. In that case change the oil at the frequency/mileage recommended by Hyundai.

If you cannot get straight SAE 70 use the next grade of thicker oil i.e. SAE 75W-85. It's OK to go one grade higher but not lower than the recommended viscosity. Lubrication is better with thicker oils but shifts could be a bit harder. Go in for GL4 only it is the most common and safest to use. GL5 is meant for some gearboxes. It can be hostile to brass parts (like synchronizers) in the GB.

I just changed my car's GB oil with a synthetic after 9 years and only because of the age. There were no issues with gear shifts or noise. But fresh lubricant does make a difference.
Old 19th November 2017, 12:34   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohit View Post
70w75 Thinnest
75w85 Medium
75w90 Medium
80w90 Thickest

Apart from 70w75 which is probably no longer manufactured, i have tested all others. 75w85 feels best and recommended for most Japanese synchromesh gears. With 80w90 gears felt bit tighter (not immediately but soon after few weeks), with 75w85 car felt lighter which also translates to improved fuel consumption.

Avoid anything that says HD or EP which means heavy duty/extreme pressure as these are closer to GL5 category.

In India 80w90 is most popular and mechanics will say that there is hardly any difference between 75 and 80. Well if there is hardly any difference then why do companies manufacture these oils?

I recommend go for 75w85 and avoid multi category oils (gl4/gl5) stick with gl4 only.

Hi, which 75W85 did you manage to source, locally? Was it synthetic or semi synthetic? What was the price per liter? Any online link, please?

The only one I know of, is a Tutela product @600INR per liter, fully synthetic.

The Hyundai manual says 75W85 for most gasoline vehicles as in :

http://customercare.hyundai.co.in/su...Petrol-23.aspx

But NOT ONE Ass has it in stock in NCR. Instead, they use "company recommended" oil!!

Last edited by lapis_lazuli : 19th November 2017 at 12:36.
Old 6th August 2018, 17:09   #42
BHPian

Hi,

Sorry for going a bit off topic. My 5 year old i-gen i20 just completed 24k kms and I am planning to change the gear oil. Hyundai recommends 75w85 GL-4.

I checked online and the only available option is a brand call SK ZIC G-GFF

https://www.amazon.in/ZIC-75W-85-VHV.../dp/B01N9I4GPD

Has anybody used this oil?

It says that it's synthetic gear oil meant to be used in GL-4 compliant cars. I thought Synthetic meant GL-5 so I'm really confused here

Anybody know where I can get the recommended oil locally? Preferably a Shell since that seems to be Hyundai's go to brand.
Old 7th August 2018, 17:06   #43
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidpunjabi View Post
It says that it's synthetic gear oil meant to be used in GL-4 compliant cars. I thought Synthetic meant GL-5 so I'm really confused here
Also, they are 2 different things. Synthetic is the formulation. While GL4 & GL5 are the API grades. GL stands for "Gear Lubricant".

If your car requires GL4 do not fill GL5. GL5 oils can contain sulphur which is corrosive to brass synchronisers over the long term. You can also get GL4+ which on paper works for both GL4 and GL5 specced trannys. One e.g. being Petronas Tutela Technyx synthetic 75W-85 GL4+ recommended for Fiat transmissions. However, I am not sure if this will work for your car.

If you are not able to source synthetic GL4 I would recommend letting the dealer change the oil.
R2D2 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th August 2018, 17:12   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidpunjabi View Post
Hi,

Sorry for going a bit off topic. My 5 year old i-gen i20 just completed 24k kms and I am planning to change the gear oil. Hyundai recommends 75w85 GL-4.
Will 24000 km not be too early to change the gear oil? What does the owner's manual recommend?
Old 7th August 2018, 17:59   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul Bhalgat View Post
Will 24000 km not be too early to change the gear oil? What does the owner's manual recommend?

The owner's manual says 30,000 kms but 5 years and only 24,000kms along with Mumbai's hot and humid weather may have caused some premature wear and tear IMO.

Premature wear and tear = when I press the clutch, you know that little free play we get in the shifter between Neutral and 3rd, and Neutral and 4th just before it slots into gear - well, during that free play, I get a squeeky sound as if 2 rusty metal components are grinding against each other. Thankfully, the noise is still very mild and I only heard it because my music was off so wanna get it fixed ASAP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
Also, they are 2 different things. Synthetic is the formulation. While GL4 & GL5 are the API grades. GL stands for "Gear Lubricant".
Hyundai just says GL-4 to be honest. Unlike engine oils, there were no bifurcations over Synthetic.. and.. umm... Non-Synthetic/Baseline formulation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
If you are not able to source synthetic GL4 I would recommend letting the dealer change the oil.
Yup. Back to HASS

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 7th August 2018 at 18:16. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Please use the multi-quote option (QUOTE+) while quoting and responding to multiple posts. Thanks.
sidpunjabi is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks