just spoke to my friendly neighbour hood Mobil 1 MAN

Lubricants

SPOKE TO HIM BRIEFLY
poor chap was busy
will speak to him on monday

called him for synthetic gear oil
i have a swift it needs api gl4 75w90

from his website & others the only mo=bil 1 gearoil i saw was gl 5 rated

he also told me that MARUTI SX4 dealers have been using [sourced from him] mobil 1 synthetic gear oil !!!!!
apparently they used SHELL s but had problems with it & switched to MOBIL 1 !!!!!

heavy and impressive for me

need to know if gl 5 rated synthetic gearoil will have a bad effect on my petrol swift which is supposed to run gl 4 rated stuff?

Its a 14000 km good condition swift so i am sure the gearbox is in fine working condition with no issues

anyone running synthetic gear oil in the swift ?

Anyone can tell me if the SX4 comes stock with synthetic motor oil?
will download the manual later ..just curious

will speak to my mobil 1 dude on monday & update

offtopic any MUMBAI boys used KSmotorsports ' s car service center?in mumbai?
wanted to know the name of their ENGINE DECARB machine & QUALITY of care expected by them >called them i guess too late today nobody answered

cheers people

cy

Last edited by cyneverdie : 27th October 2007 at 19:13.
Old 27th October 2007, 20:02   #2
BHPian

Gear oils are classified by the American Petroleum Institute using GL ratings. For example, most modern gearboxes require a GL4 oil, and separate differentials (where fitted) require a GL5 oil. It is important that purchasers check the oil against the vehicle manufacturer's specification to ensure it does not contain any aggressive chemicals that may attack gear components, such as the phosphor bronze used in many Japanese boxes.

API viscosity ratings for gear oils are not directly comparable with those for motor oil, and they are thinner than the figures suggest. For example, many modern gearboxes use a 75W90 gear oil, which is actually of equivalent viscosity to a 10W40 motor oil. Multigrade gear oils are becoming more common; while gear oil does not reach the temperatures of motor oil, it does warm up appreciably as the car is driven, due mostly to shear friction (with a small amount of heat conduction through the bellhousing from the engine block).

Fully synthetic gear oils are also used in many vehicles, and have a greater resistance to shear breakdown than mineral oils. They can improve the shifting performance of "difficult" gearboxes, where the excessive slipperiness of some mineral oils can impede synchromesh action.
cyneverdie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2009, 22:53   #3
BHPian

Any updates on this? my sx4 s going for his 3rd service. I have mobil 1 engine oil with me. Any Idea where can I get synthetic gear oil? Also at what interval we change gear oil? Sorry I lost my service book that is why. please update me fellow sx4 owners
Old 29th September 2009, 23:23   #4
BHPian

try OWS fully syhthetic Gearbox oil Distributor's List
Old 30th September 2009, 00:09   #5
BHPian

OWS synthetic gearbox oil was Rs2240/l when I checked a couple of months back. Any idea how much Mobil1 costs? I was told (by the dealer) Mobil1 fully synthetic gearbox oil comes in 20l drums only.
The MASS use mineral for the gearbox. I know mine does.
Old 30th September 2009, 11:13   #6
BHPian

you can actualy use the OWS Gearbox additive OWS 230, it is Rs 760rs per tube per gearbox

My personal suggestion use the MASS oil and this additive its the perfect combo
Old 30th September 2009, 12:18   #7
BANNED

Do we really need synths for the gearbox. I am yet to hear of a modern gearbox failing in even 200,000km!
Old 30th September 2009, 13:08   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

As a user of synthetic gear oil currently, I can tell you that while there is a positive difference in gear shifts compared to mineral, its nowhere as significant as the change is for engine oil switch over. You should be able to do just fine with the stock gearbox oil
theMAG is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2009, 13:31   #9
JVH
Senior - BHPian

I agree with the theMAG. I was about to change to synthetic when I chanced upon a friend who is using it. He voiced the same opinion helping me in saving a couple of bucks. Heck! even the Mobil 1 dealer here didn't mention any significant benefit.
Old 30th September 2009, 13:32   #10
Senior - BHPian

what is ther interval for changing G B oil ?

My getz have done 45k !!
Old 30th September 2009, 13:56   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiragh_bir View Post
what is ther interval for changing G B oil ?

My getz have done 45k !!
Every 20k kms you need to change gear-box oil.
Old 30th September 2009, 14:40   #12
Senior - BHPian

oh!!

this weekend time to refill gearbox with new oil !! any precautions while changing it??
Old 30th September 2009, 14:59   #13
BHPian

thats exactly why gearbox additive makes more sense as its just 760rs per gearbox I have used it personally with mineral oil and can definately feel an improvement over stock mineral oil.

Particularly in ghats and high load situations and once you have done more than 10,000kms
Old 30th September 2009, 15:28   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinetik View Post
thats exactly why gearbox additive makes more sense.....
The OWS 230 additive was not available in Blr when I checked during my last service. Its been 6k km since the gearbox oil was replaced. Is it ok to add now or should I wait until the next change?
Anybody know where Wurth gearbox additive is available? What other brands are recommended?
Old 30th September 2009, 16:31   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy.S View Post
The OWS 230 additive was not available in Blr when I checked during my last service. Its been 6k km since the gearbox oil was replaced. Is it ok to add now or should I wait until the next change?
Anybody know where Wurth gearbox additive is available? What other brands are recommended?
Better to add before 10,000.00 kms , have called for a friend going to pick mine up day after tomorrow

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks