Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th November 2007, 11:05   #1
BHPian

K&N Cold air induction system RC-5052AB

Hey experts - I bought the K&N CAI kit[FONT=Arial][SIZE=2][COLOR=Black][FONT=Arial]RC-5052AB [/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT](http://www.knfilters.com/search/prod...Prod=RC-5052AB) for 8.2k (7.9k on-box price + fitment) for my santro on saturday, just before the sunday nandi hills meet. Had actually gone in for the K&N 4550 univ filter but ended up with this CAI kit.

Got it done from car shringar as they seemed to be the closest authorized k&n filter shop. They took out the hyundai stock air filter, which sits on top of the block and clamped the enclosed k&n filter in the same place. I was a bit confused as to how putting a filter on the hottest place will give me CAI But then case in point the stock filter also sits there and this k&N was enclosed in a casing. Then an intake pipe was connected on its other end and tied down to pull air from behind the front grill.

Now my queries are
1) is this the right fitment, given that there is no space under the santro hood
2) can the 5052's enclosure take care of heat hitting the filter inside
3) will rain water go in from the front grill and enter the intake pipe and go in!!
4) I have a bill and the serial number on the box. Do i need to register my k&n for warranty. I did do it online on their site, but the registration form only asks for the model number and not the serial number of product being registered.

All queries aside, the feedback for anyone going in for this is - I have been driving for roughly 300kms now (including nandi hills drive) and the car is performing way better than before plus coupled w my exhaust it sounds good too

Cheers,
j
Old 5th November 2007, 14:08   #2
BHPian

Jassi pics please. Isn't the inlet pipe placed away from the heat source?
Old 6th November 2007, 14:54   #3
BHPian

hey rohan here are the pics

As you can see, the filter sits where the stock one used to, however the intake is near the front grill next to the radiator. Also I was hearing a new continuous hissing kinda sound from under the hood (more so during idle, not sure though if the intake/exhaust sound masks it when I give race). I went to trident hyundai service station and he checked it and said that the K&N filter comes into play when I press the accel, however during idle the air is sucked from another pipe (black pipe bent downwards seen behind the K&N). This pipe is originally connected to the air filter, but now is sucking dirty air during idling and this is the cause of the hissing noise If you block this intake the engine goes off!! I am not sure how others have incorporated K&Ns in their car with this pipe hanging out

Any help would be great!! I am totally confused now.
Old 6th November 2007, 15:08   #4
BANNED

Thats a perfect fittment bro...yes there will be lots of hissing noise at idle,,,same on ma corollas typhoon intake also by K&N. The noise changes to a wild roar during acceleration. Its all normal.
Old 6th November 2007, 15:19   #5
BHPian

but during idle it is sucking dirty air from the engine bay and not from the K&N - is tht normal
I can imagine all forms of dirt, moisture going in during idle (engine damage )as it dont pass a filter. Earlier this idle pipe was connected to the hyundai stock filter
Old 6th November 2007, 15:27   #6
Team-BHP Support

there is no separate idle pipe. it all goes through your air filter. thats AFAIK.
Old 6th November 2007, 16:23   #7
BHPian

heres the pipe

this pipe was earlier connected to one of the outlets of the stock filter - now its just on its own.
the hyundai guy blocked it n showed that the engine dies out if it is blocked. This is however only used during idle - when i press accel and block this pipe the engine doesnt die out - only during idling if i block it kills the engine !!

now isn't this pipe sucking in bad air during idling

edit - pipe marked in white circle with arrow showing air going in during idling

Last edited by jassi : 6th November 2007 at 16:25.
Old 6th November 2007, 16:55   #8
BHPian

Dear Jassi,

i have the same induction system installed. The placement also seems ok. Just make sure of 2 things:
1. During the rains...remove the pipe from the filter & voila....it turns into a short ram intake!
2. make sure that the piping is fixed to the filter by means of a heavy duty tape....there was a case of a BHPian losing the cold air piping!

Also make sure that the piping is as close to the front of the vehicle as possible...but keep it away from the radiator, fans etc....anything that gives a hot draft when the car is moving. In your case i believe the best results will be obtained if you keep it as close to the base of the car as possible...as in...near the bumper.

Also, the filter is made of a high grade material which has a capacity to withstand a large amount of heat-soak. So no problems there.

Very IMP: Do reset your ECU. Will get you the full benefits of this mod immediately!

Last edited by 1self : 6th November 2007 at 16:58.
Old 6th November 2007, 17:05   #9
BHPian

right now CAI intake pipe is right next to the radiator just behind the front grill for the ram effect the dealer while fitting explained that I don't need to ever remove the pipe as at this height behind the grill there is no chance of large amount of water going in (just some small rain drops which may make it).
The piping is secured using a tie in (included in pack) on the front grill.

Also I am not sure if i should cover the pipe when getting a wash (maybe drive through) done as water maybe thrown in from the front grill.

One more point since this filter is enclosed, should I allow the hyundai guys to splash water on the inside of the engine bay (this is normal as they have coated my engine, etc with some spray/coating)

I am still confused on the idle intake pipe

cheers,
j

PS - the ecu was reset i think by the guy who fitted it as he disconnected the battery while fitting it. This is what the manual says and i think this is enough to reset ecu

Last edited by jassi : 6th November 2007 at 17:07.
Old 6th November 2007, 17:11   #10
BHPian

Filter placement is fine. Quite a few sharp bends though probably to compromise on limited underhood space. Whats the black pipe though? Is it the PCV pipe?
Old 6th November 2007, 17:16   #11
BHPian

rohan - which black pipe? there is one black (inside silverish) CAI pipe connected to the enclosed filter and sucking air in from the front grill.
The other pipe which I have circled is what sucks in air during idling. This was earlier connected to the hyundai air filter. So the hyundai air filter had 1 intake and two outlets - 1 which sucks in air during idling and the other which sucks air in when i press accel.

He actually showed this to me - when the encircled idling pipe is blocked engine goes off, however when your giving race and you block the idle pipe, the engine doesnt go off.

The hyundai guy said filter job is good, but the idling pipe is sucking in bad air during engine idle (no race)

This is what I am confused about
Old 6th November 2007, 17:49   #12
BHPian

Yeah was talking about the pipe you circled. Where is it connected to at the moment?
Old 6th November 2007, 17:53   #13
BHPian

well i am not really sure of the name of the part it is connected to
but in the pic you can see it is connected on one side to some part near the engine and the other end it is open (this was earlier connected to hyundai filter)

I am just wondering is this the air intake to the inside of my car like for the ac and blower
Old 6th November 2007, 18:26   #14
BHPian

I'm thinking it is the 'positive crankcase ventilation'. No air is sucked into the engine through this pipe. Please allow the experts to advise though.
Old 6th November 2007, 18:31   #15
BHPian

could be the MAP sensor piping?

In which case there is a hole in the K&N filter (the installer could have blocked it with the provided plug) with several mating attachments just for this purpose, it comes with the original kit...just remove the plug, fit the attachment that gives the tightest fit & you are ready to go!

Last edited by 1self : 6th November 2007 at 18:35.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks