Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th November 2007, 15:27   #1

Engine Jerking

Hi , I drive a 2003 Ford Flair which has done 40K so far, off late I noticed the engine to jerk in 2-3rd gear (initial revving), but it fades away once it starts to cruise over 60. Can anyone advise wht could be the reasons for this jerkiness and how do i trouble shoot myself.
Old 5th November 2007, 18:48   #2
Senior - BHPian

I guess the throttle body and injectors are clogged. Get them cleaned. Your service station will be able to do that in less than a day.

After thats done, ensure you add recommended amount of injector cleaning fluid such as Iftex System G or Sonax injector cleaner. Adulteration in fuel seems to be the cause here.
Old 5th November 2007, 18:53   #3
Senior - BHPian

Kary, U're in the wrong section.
This is ur first post.Welcome to TBHP .

U're being vague here.
But, most probably, its the Ikon's common complaint- the ignition coil.
One or more of ur cylinders is not firing.
Get that checked and let us know.
Old 6th November 2007, 11:24   #4

thanks aditya/nitrous, guess adulteration cud be the cuplrit. Can i try the injector cleaning fluid first (if its fixes the problem)and later check with the service guy, coz i dont have a nearby Ford service station.

For the rest of guys, excuse me for posting in the wrong section...
Old 6th November 2007, 12:54   #5
Team-BHP Support

Might not really work out, head out to your A.S.S and get the fuel line cleaned, check the vapor collector also. Check my old post for more details of the same http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ugh-cough.html . Then proceed to injectors.

Last edited by Jaggu : 6th November 2007 at 12:57.
Old 6th November 2007, 16:23   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Might not really work out, head out to your A.S.S and get the fuel line cleaned, check the vapor collector also. Check my old post for more details of the same http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ugh-cough.html . Then proceed to injectors.
U seriously seem to had alot of trouble before!! Ill chk the fuel lines and then the vapor collector. Moreover my prev service guy at Hyd suggested that the muffler is begining to show up!! Do u reckon this may also lead to this... (also the car was unused for a couple of weeks before this problem)
Old 6th November 2007, 22:26   #7
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kary View Post
U seriously seem to had alot of trouble before!! Ill chk the fuel lines and then the vapor collector. Moreover my prev service guy at Hyd suggested that the muffler is begining to show up!! Do u reckon this may also lead to this... (also the car was unused for a couple of weeks before this problem)
no kary my seven years with iKON was very peaceful apart from this where it took some convincing to diagnose. in your case i suspect a clogged injector, if you are lucky cleaning will help or else replace it.

muffler will not result in jerking, it will cause leakage sound thats all
Old 7th November 2007, 15:20   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
no kary my seven years with iKON was very peaceful apart from this where it took some convincing to diagnose. in your case i suspect a clogged injector, if you are lucky cleaning will help or else replace it.

muffler will not result in jerking, it will cause leakage sound thats all

I have replaced my fuel filter (which seemed to be extremely worn out inside- as the fuel turned out black in color from inside) , checked the plug wires with multimeter (all fine) and cleaned spark plugs - still the jerk exists!! My service guy insisted to use the Iftex G solvent and top up for a final try to decongest the injectors , else might have to replace the ignition coil.
Guys wht do yu reckon..? How much does an ignition coil cost for Ikon flair..? Is tht the solution for this, Iam also plannin for along drive out of city this weekend..is it ok to do so before coil change!
Old 12th June 2014, 12:03   #9
Senior - BHPian

Mitsubishi Lancer spitting, especially during evenings in bumper to bumper traffic

Dear All,

My beloved steed is now showing signs of age, due to some financial commitments i am not able to upgrade now; i was looking for a diesel Octavia for some time but then decided to retain my Lancer for another year or two.

The issue is the car is spitting and it’s not very frequent, but I can definitely feel it and its spoiled the wonderful experience I had owning her. What happens is it skips a beat and then again comes back to life, this feels like the jerk we get from the car when the fuel gets over.

I have replaced all the spark plugs, replaced the HT leads. I have checked the timing, cleaned the throttle body and injectors, used system G and i had replaced the fuel filter couple of months back so i have not looked there.

Funny part is Mitsubishi is not helping me at all and is saying they have no parts, they are asking me to get the parts from the local market and they will fix it what a royal way to screw a brand

What do you guys suggest I look in to?

Pramod
Old 12th June 2014, 15:39   #10
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mitsubishi Lancer spitting, especially during evenings in bumper to bumper traffi

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodkumar View Post
Dear All,

My beloved steed is now showing signs of age, due to some financial commitments i am not able to upgrade now; i was looking for a diesel Octavia for some time but then decided to retain my Lancer for another year or two.

The issue is the car is spitting and it’s not very frequent, but I can definitely feel it and its spoiled the wonderful experience I had owning her. What happens is it skips a beat and then again comes back to life, this feels like the jerk we get from the car when the fuel gets over.

What do you guys suggest I look in to?

Pramod
Seems like a classic case of misfiring Can't you just go to your trusted local mechanic? Shouldn't be an impossible job.

OT, but a used diesel Fiesta with a remap should be much easier to find as well as more reliable than a Skoda

Last edited by IshaanIan : 12th June 2014 at 15:43.
Old 12th June 2014, 17:00   #11
Senior - BHPian

Re: Engine Jerking

Does it happen in every filling? Or did this happen in one filling of petrol only? The reasons could be water in petrol, or a slow leak, or a loose connection (injector, HT lead, sensors etc.). If it is a loose connection, especially randomly occurring, you need to keep the car in idle and shake different cables (not gently, but a tug) to isolate which cable is causing the hiccup. Switch off the engine, unplug the connector it is attached to, clean, and plug it back.
DerAlte is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2014, 17:09   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
OT, but a used diesel Fiesta with a remap should be much easier to find as well as more reliable than a Skoda
My friend has a fiesta and i absolutly love the vehicle, but its not available in my price budget. while an octavia. i can afford to pay a loan but i prefer full cash purchase because i am planning a major investment

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Does it happen in every filling? Or did this happen in one filling of petrol only? The reasons could be water in petrol, or a slow leak, or a loose connection (injector, HT lead, sensors etc.). If it is a loose connection, especially randomly occurring, you need to keep the car in idle and shake different cables (not gently, but a tug) to isolate which cable is causing the hiccup. Switch off the engine, unplug the connector it is attached to, clean, and plug it back.
it happens with every filling, and you could be right, i fill from one pump alone and could be water in petrol. if that is the case what should i do? FYI i am already past shaking and tugging, i have started replacing stuff to isolate.

Pramod
Old 12th June 2014, 17:33   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... i fill from one pump alone and could be water in petrol. if that is the case what should i do? FYI i am already past shaking and tugging, i have started replacing stuff to isolate. ...
1. Water in petrol: only 1 way - unmount the tank and get it cleaned

2. You might have shaken and tugged the obvious wires. There are plenty more - I am sure you wouldn't have gone near any sensor connection cable, like flywheel sensor, or camshaft sensor etc.
Old 13th June 2014, 11:12   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
1. Water in petrol: only 1 way - unmount the tank and get it cleaned

2. You might have shaken and tugged the obvious wires. There are plenty more - I am sure you wouldn't have gone near any sensor connection cable, like flywheel sensor, or camshaft sensor etc.
Here is a bit of story i have not told so far. The car went for denting/ Painting the boot was left open and it drained the battery, it was very low on fuel. The painting guys charged the battery and i took it to the pump to get fuelled.

First problem was the engine will die while pressing the clutch, they fiddled around with some sensor and it was fixed.

Then the idling was rough they fixed it again

Then finally the car started to spit. This time they said it could be the sparkplugs or the HT leads. I used to hear a engine whine in the stereo so i too suspected it to be HT leads.

Well we changed all that and the car still spits. This is how this happens. I accelerate, then lift off, let the rpm come down(no pedals are pressed through this cycle) and when i press the accelerator again it spits, it does this 1 in 5 times and does it at a particular set of conditions(RPM, gearing) i have not been much observant to find out the exact set of conditions to replicate it.

It happens mostly during evenings and after 1-2 KMs of running, it happens when it rains. i didn’t experience it today morning while coming to work, it was over cast today and was reasonably cold

I am unable to replicate this when i have mechanics onboard, i have also replaced the accelarator cable, i suspect my car is possesed

i took it to mitsu for a complete scan, they have no idea what my model is called. They hooked the scan guage and their computer kept on saying no response from ECU and they pointed it to me and said "see no errors"

I really felt stupid and i decided to leave after politely grinning. He came to me and said this time i am not charging you but next time it 1800 Rs.

I am really frustrated and i have no one but our faternity to look up to now.

Please help, i am spending money for the last one week and getting no results.

Pramod
Old 13th June 2014, 11:59   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... First problem was the engine will die while pressing the clutch, they fiddled around with some sensor and it was fixed.
Then the idling was rough they fixed it again ...
I assume they didn't tell you what was the reason and what did they do to fix it in each case.

Quote:
... This is how this happens. I accelerate, then lift off, let the rpm come down(no pedals are pressed through this cycle) and when i press the accelerator again it spits, it does this 1 in 5 times and does it at a particular set of conditions(RPM, gearing) ...
Keep bonnet open, car in neutral - wherever you are parked. Disconnect air filter so that you can look into the throttle body. Ask someone to do the same thing as you described (doesn't have to be in gear).
1. Whenever the problem occurs, try to isolate where the sound is coming from: Throttle body? Exhaust? ...

2. Try to observe the behaviour of the throtte vane (the circular vane that rotates in the throttle body) when trying to replicate the problem (try to correlate it with the engine rpm). Does it have an odd behavior when the 'spitting' happens?

3. When 'spitting' happens, does the engine shudder?

Quote:
... i suspect my car is possesed ...
Could be! Go break some coconuts in a temple!!!

Quote:
... They hooked the scan guage and their computer kept on saying no response from ECU and they pointed it to me and said "see no errors" ...
To be expected - belies the fact that they didn't have a clue.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks