Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th October 2009, 06:53   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudharma View Post
For the last 20 years I had my Maruthi running without this valve. And no problems so far.
The engine will have problems at cold start (will have to work at cold temperatures for longer). Emissions will (consequently) be worse. FE will also suffer.

If you don't think those are problems then yes - you won't have any problems.
Old 19th October 2009, 09:37   #17
BANNED

I full agree with Crackedhead. In the days of eh Amby & Fiat cars often were shipped with no thermostat. Also, often at the first sign of any overheating, or when installing an AC the thermostat (and also the radiator cap rubber) were removed by mechanics. This was a bad practice as very nicely put by CH.

Remember the function of the thermostat is to bypass the coolant flow (away from the radiator) to allow the engine to warm up fast. Then it opens and the normal flow through the radiator is available. I will replace a faulty thermostat rather than dump it!
Old 19th October 2009, 14:51   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrackedHead View Post
The engine will have problems at cold start (will have to work at cold temperatures for longer). Emissions will (consequently) be worse. FE will also suffer.

If you don't think those are problems then yes - you won't have any problems.
Exactly! The point should never be that it works; rather HOW it works.

It works! But how? And at what cost?

If the mechs/supervisors where indeed so smart as to overrule what the company has put there, they would more likely be seen in the company designing cars.
Old 19th October 2009, 15:06   #19
BANNED

In my experience the thermostat on the Hyundai has the needle barely moving once the desired temperature is reached (i.e., it is between the two dots). On the Marutis it moved around quite a lot. Whether it is better temperature control, or a less sensitive gauge I do not know.
Old 21st June 2010, 12:03   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
^^^ Topping up should not be done thru the radiator cap!! Please maintain the level only in the reservoir tank when cold.

Flushing is to be done only once in 2 years for most cars. I don't know 800's coolant capacity or your brand and its dilution ratio, so can't answer those questions.
What to do if the radiator is not filled to the brim? After replacing my coolant at the service center, I found that the level in the radiator had dropped when I reached home (and the engine had sufficiently cooled). So I topped up the radiator till the cap.

I had to do this because the radiator was not full (till the cap) even after sucking the coolant back from the coolant reservoir tank.
Old 21st June 2010, 21:26   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinojohnt View Post
What to do if the radiator is not filled to the brim? After replacing my coolant at the service center, I found that the level in the radiator had dropped when I reached home (and the engine had sufficiently cooled). So I topped up the radiator till the cap.

I had to do this because the radiator was not full (till the cap) even after sucking the coolant back from the coolant reservoir tank.
There's a min and max mark, you don't need to top it up to cap.

Also mention what you filled to make it top up, water or coolant ?
Old 22nd June 2010, 10:14   #22
Senior - BHPian

I have seen a 'min & max' mark on the coolant reservoir, but haven't noticed any 'max' or 'min' mark near the radiator cap. Is it harmfull if I fill the coolant till the brim (till the radiator cap)?

I keep a mix of "Coolant + Water (1:2)", which I use for topping up.
Old 23rd June 2010, 00:52   #23
Senior - BHPian

^^^Dude, brief answer - leave the radiator cap alone. Just maintain the reservoir level between the min. and max. marks.
Old 24th May 2016, 13:05   #24

Need help on engine coolant checking

My car is Toyota Vitz 2010 a.k.a Yaris hatchback. I am not a car expert so pardon my novice question. I want to properly check engine coolant (locally called radiator water here in Bangladesh). A local mechanic is telling me that my car needs to be added engine coolant. I have checked the user manual and it suggests that I need to check engine coolant reservoir to check if it needs more fluid. On the whitish reservoir box the pink fluid is above 'full' mark but if I open the radiator cap than the pink fluid is not visible. Should I top up engine coolant?
Old 24th May 2016, 13:20   #25
BHPian

Re: Need help on engine coolant checking

Is there any reason why you want to check the coolant level?
If any fluid is above full mark, you have no reason to top it up.

If you are facing any troubles such as engine temperature shooting up (warning comes up in dashboard), then approach your service centre for the same. If you have no problems such as that, then your car is hale and healthy - your engine coolant level is fine, and you can drive on!
hybridpetrol is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th May 2016, 13:22   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

The reservoir box will have minimum and maximum markings, the coolant level should be between these markings. Top up is done to the reservoir and not directly to the radiator.

Also, check your car's service book to see the recommendation on coolant replacement.
.anshuman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2016, 13:34   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by hybridpetrol View Post
Is there any reason why you want to check the coolant level?
If any fluid is above full mark, you have no reason to top it up.

If you are facing any troubles such as engine temperature shooting up (warning comes up in dashboard), then approach your service centre for the same. If you have no problems such as that, then your car is hale and healthy - your engine coolant level is fine, and you can drive on!
Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
The reservoir box will have minimum and maximum markings, the coolant level should be between these markings. Top up is done to the reservoir and not directly to the radiator.

Also, check your car's service book to see the recommendation on coolant replacement.

Thank you both for confirming. I follow the user manual and since the coolant is up to full mark I personally think there is no reason to be worried. But local mechanics and employed drivers has a tendency to fill up "radiator pani" periodically. In fact recently an employed driver opened the radiator cap and since he did not see any water there he directly poured raw water without my knowledge.
Old 24th May 2016, 13:43   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nahid View Post
On the whitish reservoir box the pink fluid is above 'full' mark but if I open the radiator cap than the pink fluid is not visible. Should I top up engine coolant?
You have mentioned that the pink fluid is not visible if you open the radiator cap. If there is no fluid inside the radiator, something is really wrong. If the radiator is empty, you need to add the fluid/coolant asap or you risk damaging your car.
sanjeevgpc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2016, 13:50   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjeevgpc View Post
You have mentioned that the pink fluid is not visible if you open the radiator cap. If there is no fluid inside the radiator, something is really wrong. If the radiator is empty, you need to add the fluid/coolant asap or you risk damaging your car.
Ouch! Now I'm confused again. Should I open the radiator cap to check coolant or should I check the reservoir marking?
Old 24th May 2016, 14:32   #30
Senior - BHPian

I remember that when the workshop changed the coolant for my car, the radiator was filled first. Then the coolant reservoir was filled till max. I remember the mechanic saying that the coolant reservoir should be filled 'only' after the radiator is filled.

Last edited by jinojohnt : 24th May 2016 at 14:33.
jinojohnt is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks