Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th June 2016, 20:51   #46
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Engine Coolant Level

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nahid View Post
I'm a bit scared. Though it's cooling down eventually but should it happen? PS: I bought the distilled water from a local car parts shop. It's labeled 'battery water' but still it's distilled water.
Not sure about why it became warm but I have heard of some distilled water bottles containing water that is very slightly acidic in nature.

If in doubt just use plain filtered drinking water.
Old 6th June 2016, 21:07   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
Not sure about why it became warm but I have heard of some distilled water bottles containing water that is very slightly acidic in nature.

If in doubt just use plain filtered drinking water.
That came to my mind too so I mixed the coolant with regular drinking water separately and it became warm too. I'm feeling unconfident to use this mixture in radiator as it is itself warm, how will it cool down the radiator
Old 6th June 2016, 21:32   #48
BANNED

Quote:

That came to my mind too so I mixed the coolant with regular drinking water separately and it became warm too.
What does the label say? It'll definitely have done mixing instructions on it at the rear.
Old 6th June 2016, 21:33   #49
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
That came to my mind too so I mixed the coolant with regular drinking water separately and it became warm too. I'm feeling unconfident to use this mixture in radiator as it is itself warm, how will it cool down the radiator
When the engine is running, coolant in the radiator is maintained at around 80 degrees Celsius which is far higher than the temps you'd have experienced after mixing the 2 liquids. So don't worry, even a luke warm or tepid mixture won't fail to cool the engine. That said, please discard the so called distilled water + concentrate mix and use the drinking water + concentrate mix instead.

Also, it is more important that you instruct your driver(s) to stop messing around with the radiator and coolant tank. Modern cars require very little maintenance.
R2D2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2016, 23:04   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
What does the label say? It'll definitely have done mixing instructions on it at the rear.
It said "follow your car's user manual however Toyota recommends 50/50 mixing with water"
Old 5th March 2017, 12:03   #51
Senior - BHPian

Can bottled mineral drinking water be used in case distill water is not available ? Also is distilled water acidic and can same ie acidic be used to top up coolant tank mixed with coolant ?
Old 5th March 2017, 12:21   #52
BHPian

Distilled water is used for diluting coolant concentrate solution. Distilled water is not acidic and free from dissolved impurities. Mineral water can also be used. Water from pipelines contain dissolved and suspended particles which overtime may cause clogging of the radiator and sludge formation in coolant lines.
--gKrish-- is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th March 2017, 12:27   #53
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
Can bottled mineral drinking water be used in case distill water is not available ? Also is distilled water acidic and can same ie acidic be used to top up coolant tank mixed with coolant ?
Distilled water by definition should have a pH of 7.0 neither acidic nor basic.I guess 6.5 to 7.5 or so will still qualify it as neutral.

Remember mineral water is likely to have small quantities of of salts / minerals added to it.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th March 2017, 12:58   #54
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The chap who services one of my cars told me not to use battery water which is reputed to be slightly acidic. I haven't tested this assertion by submitting battery water samples to a lab. But I'd rather not take a risk of any acidic fluid howsoever mild in the radiator and risk any corrosive action. So, to play safe I went with his suggestion of using clean filtered tap water.

Try to obtain a few litres of distilled water from lab suppliers. If DW is unavailable just go with clean filtered tap water.

Not sure which car you have but many manufacturers offer pre-mixed coolant which is ideal. Check with your ASC.

In an emergency however for e.g. low coolant levels or a radiator leak just use any clean water you can get your hands on. It is better than a seized engine.
Old 5th March 2017, 13:00   #55
Senior - BHPian

For temporary purposes i have added coolant and bottled drinking water mixture as reservoir tank was low. Service is due in a week or two max and i will get the coolant changed soon. Have added close to 200 ml to 300 ml coolant and about same as quantity water. I have a Honda Civic and the coolant is Golden Cruiser concentrated blue fluid.

Last edited by sumeethaldankar : 5th March 2017 at 13:02.
Old 5th March 2017, 13:28   #56
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
For temporary purposes i have added coolant and bottled drinking water mixture as reservoir tank was low.
No harm done IMHO. Better than running into engine problems due to low coolant levels.

Quote:
Service is due in a week or two max and i will get the coolant changed soon. Have added close to 200 ml to 300 ml coolant and about same as quantity water. I have a Honda Civic and the coolant is Golden Cruiser concentrated blue fluid.
I do not know who you give your car to for a service but my experience with Deccan Honda in Pune is they mix tap/borewell water with the coolant concentrate. This is from when I had a Honda City 1.5 Type II from the early to mid '00s. Please recheck with your service centre. I thought Honda India may have progressed to premixed coolant by now!

Toyota only uses a premixed coolant (pink) in all its vehicles and I keep a few bottles at home for top-ups & carry a 1 litre bottle during long distance travel.

Last edited by R2D2 : 5th March 2017 at 13:32. Reason: Typo
Old 5th March 2017, 15:22   #57
BANNED

@R2D2; You are lucky. I know many service stations use just the storage water for filling. This stuff is just the run off from the washing area collected for washing. I think any decent tap water should do well for the filling. I agree Aluminum heads and blocks (and radiators) are somewhat more finicky, but still have no reservations in using tap water.
Old 5th March 2017, 16:30   #58
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
@R2D2; You are lucky. I know many service stations use just the storage water for filling. This stuff is just the run off from the washing area collected for washing.
Wow! I am shocked!

Quote:
I think any decent tap water should do well for the filling. I agree Aluminum heads and blocks (and radiators) are somewhat more finicky, but still have no reservations in using tap water.
I agree. In the absence of DW or a premixed coolant clean filtered tap water is a good option.

@sumeethaldankar - If you're finicky about the water required to dilute coolant, try & source lab grade distilled water. Use Justdial or similar site to locate a DW supplier close to your home/office in Mumbai. DW is available at laboratory suppliers, IIRC in 5 & 10L litre & larger cans. 1-2 cans will last you years.
Old 5th March 2017, 19:32   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
If you're finicky about the water required to dilute coolant, try & source lab grade distilled water.
What about the bottled Distilled Water available with the battery walas and automobile shops? I believed they would suffice.

I have seen my MASS and FNG use the same to:
1. Dilute the coolant in the required proportion.
2. Top up the battery cells.
3. Fill up the wiper fluid tank.
Old 5th March 2017, 19:54   #60
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailydriver View Post
What about the bottled Distilled Water available with the battery walas and automobile shops? I believed they would suffice.
That's precisely what we are referring to as VERY mildly acidic water which is better used for battery top ups than other purposes.

Sadly, as with many other things in a country that is renowned for taking shortcuts and cocking a snook at quality standards, a container labelled distilled water (or XYZ product) may or may not conform to the standards printed on the label. Buyers beware.

Last edited by R2D2 : 5th March 2017 at 19:55.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks