Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd December 2007, 14:09   #1
BHPian

Advice needed on Injector cleaning

I need to know how to get the injectors in MPFI models cleaned. Is there any additive we need to add in the petrol tank while filling petrol? How good are the additives in the xtramile premium petrol of IOL and are they sufficient to clean the injectors ??
There is the confusion created by two different car manufacturers. While Hyundai tells us to get them cleaned every 5k kms Fiat guys tell us that they need to cleaned only after 25k kms.
Any idea where I can get the correct information?
Old 5th December 2007, 13:32   #2
BHPian

The Injectors are usually removed, after disconnecting the battery terminal, and placed in a Cleaning Machine which pumps a cleaning solvent through the Injectors, At this stage the Visible glass window also allows to see the Spray flow and consistency.

Preventive method of above, is to add Petrol Supplements, I don't know how good they have been since I've never had the chance to use them.

Follow the schedule of your car company, a little plus or minus is Ok.
Old 13th May 2008, 12:56   #3
Team-BHP Support

How does one know if the injectors in the car need cleaning? My lancer feels sluggish but I don't have any starting problems, infact it starts up with just half a crank. The idling is also smooth. Only thing is the car feels sluggish.

The fuel filter has also been changed along with valve clearances adjusted and timing checked.

Also the mileage is really really bad with the car giving 7kmpl in city and 10-11kmpl on the highway.

The HM guys claim the lancer's injectors don't ever need to be cleaned as they are self cleaning type which is utter rubbish.

Car has done 75,000kms.
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2008, 14:53   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitindangoria View Post
I need to know how to get the injectors in MPFI models cleaned. Is there any additive we need to add in the petrol tank while filling petrol ?
There are various brands of injector cleaners. Sonax, Iftex SystemG and OWS are the ones that I can remember easily. You can use these additives while filling up petrol. The engine runs smoother and pick up will be smooth and refined.

System G is available at most BP outlets. Use @ 1ml/liter. Off late its out of stock in some bunks. Tried to get one yesterday and none of the 4-5 bunks I visited had them in stock. The attendants said the stocks have not been coming in for a while now.

Sonax is available at shops which sell auto parts and accessories. The quantity (in sonax) is good for 60 liters of petrol and is recommended to be used only once every 5000 kms.

I've used both sonax and SystemG. SysG more regularly and Sonax only once. Both are equally good. Search the forum for more information.

You can also get the injectors cleaned at MASS. They charge 100 bucks per injector. I got it done a while back (at 40,000 kms) and the car felt very smooth and pickup was very refined.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitindangoria View Post
How good are the additives in the xtramile premium petrol of IOL and are they sufficient to clean the injectors ??
Xtramile is premium diesel. Premium petrol from IOC is called Xtrapremium.

The additives in Xtrapremium are not top notch as the quality of fuel in most bunks just suck. Normally it is recommended to use injector cleaning fluid only in regular unleaded fuel, but since the quality of premium fuels is not great, I also fill the additive with premium fuel. No harm in it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
My lancer feels sluggish but I don't have any starting problems, infact it starts up with just half a crank. The idling is also smooth. Only thing is the car feels sluggish.

The fuel filter has also been changed along with valve clearances adjusted and timing checked.

Also the mileage is really really bad with the car giving 7kmpl in city and 10-11kmpl on the highway.

The HM guys claim the lancer's injectors don't ever need to be cleaned as they are self cleaning type which is utter rubbish.

Car has done 75,000kms.
Forget the HM guys for once and get the car checked by a better mechanic.

Last edited by n_aditya : 13th May 2008 at 14:57.
Old 13th May 2008, 15:31   #5
Senior - BHPian

Trident Hyundai was marketing 3M injector cleaning solution. I do not know the cost and usage details.
Old 13th May 2008, 16:14   #6
Senior - BHPian

If you use premium fuels only, then cleaning of injectors should normally not be required. If you happen to fill at unknown pumps, on highways, etc,. there may be a need to get the injectors cleaned using the additives.

for most cars, adding the fuel additive specifically for fuel injector cleaning should suffice, unless the car exhibits other symptoms like excessive fuel/oil consumption, in which case the service center will advise u to get them removed and cleaned.

Vid6639, for the lancer the bardhal fuel additive ( one bottle in a tankful every 5000 kms, if you use regular unleaded ) for cleaning injectors / fuel system and the bardhal decarb additive ( every 20k kms i think ) generally works well and should see you get better milage and response.

I drove a lancer petrol for about 80k kms and had used the decarb once i think.

Both should be available with either Automotive service center or Lathangi.
Old 13th May 2008, 16:57   #7
BHPian

vid6639, Why don't you get the injectors cleaned? Its not very expensive and the benefits are many for a car that has clocked 75,000 kms. I paid Rs. 120/- per injector for my Zen VXi.
Old 14th May 2008, 20:31   #8
BHPian

Can someone guide me to a Good Place here in NOIDA where i can get Cielo Injectors Cleaned.
Old 14th May 2008, 21:49   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arpit View Post
Can someone guide me to a Good Place here in NOIDA where i can get Cielo Injectors Cleaned.
i thought cielo is a carburetted car.
Old 14th May 2008, 22:44   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post

is there some thing like this if yes how does it work. any one?.
Old 14th May 2008, 23:04   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver_shadow View Post
i thought cielo is a carburetted car.
No, Cielo came with a 1.5 litre 16 Valve MPFi Engine
Old 15th May 2008, 15:51   #12
BHPian

Quote:
No, Cielo came with a 1.5 litre 16 Valve MPFi Engine
yea i got to know that later.... saw some reviews about the nexia in particular on mouthshut dot com. turns out she was a quite a powerful and stable car.
Old 15th May 2008, 16:56   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
hey armpit, any qualified workshop which caters to servicing of cars of different brands would be able to do this for you. Multibrand car workshops generally have good infrastructure but it pays to know if they are good at what they do. Do PM the members from Noida. They can guide you to a good place.

All the best.
Old 17th May 2008, 12:38   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
hey armpit, any qualified workshop which caters to servicing of cars of different brands would be able to do this for you. Multibrand car workshops generally have good infrastructure but it pays to know if they are good at what they do. Do PM the members from Noida. They can guide you to a good place.
Hey Aditya, i have tried a few places here in Noida but i am not happy with the kind of work they do, so i was looking for some reliable place where they can check the complete Fuel injection System and do what needs to be done.
Old 7th November 2008, 11:06   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
There are various brands of injector cleaners. Sonax, Iftex SystemG and OWS are the ones that I can remember easily. You can use these additives while filling up petrol. The engine runs smoother and pick up will be smooth and refined.

You can also get the injectors cleaned at MASS. They charge 100 bucks per injector. I got it done a while back (at 40,000 kms) and the car felt very smooth and pickup was very refined.
Hi Aditya,

Where did you clean the injectors in Bangalore. I drive a LPG converted Opel Corsa and found recently that it has developed starting trouble in Petrol. Minimum 3 times i have to crank each for 10 secs to get it starting. Starting in LPG has no problems at all. Even when i drive in petrol, i feel its very sluggish and cannot even take the vehicle to more than 30km/hr , But LPG has no loss in power no issues at all.

Regards
Ranjith

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks