Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd December 2007, 22:56   #1
Senior - BHPian

LPG @ Rs. 32.55, is it worth it ? Edit: now Rs.36.20

I have been an ardent advocate & user of LPG in my cars & i have suggested the same for anyone who had any doubts about using LPG in their cars. There is really no risk about using LPG in our cars unless you fail to follow the simple minimum safety guidelines that have been spelt out, which is the same in any car. The day i converted my car to LPG, the price was Rs. 22 change for a litre which has consistently risen ever since till Rs.29.84 3 days back. Today, the price of Auto LPG shot to Rs.32.55 (and climbing) whereas the price of petrol is Rs.47.?? & i wonder if it is worth that little trouble at all (accommodating an extra tank etc).

Yes, i do fill my tank & i do save a bit, but i wonder if it is worth the little extra trouble unless you drive quite a lot & that Rs.5 per litre matters most to you. I have (yes, me) started to realise that there is no VFM here, yes I am a VFM person (the ICE guys would know me as the SONY bum). At this present rate, petrol seems to be more VFM than LPG (Yes, it comes from a long long time user of LPG). I am devastated, all my previous comments about LPG comes to zilch at the present cost of LPG. I feel for the LPG folks who have depended on Auto LPG to bring home their crusty bread. This really is a sad day for the environmentalists too. can someone give me one reason why i should continue driving on LPG ?

Last edited by esteem_lover : 3rd December 2007 at 22:58.
esteem_lover is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2007, 23:05   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

You're right. Once LPG crossed Rs 30 it lost its VFM status, keeping in mind cost of the LPG kit.
Old 3rd December 2007, 23:15   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
You're right. Once LPG crossed Rs 30 it lost its VFM status, keeping in mind cost of the LPG kit.
theMAG, the cost of the LPG kit has also reduced with time, but it still does not mean anything, when you have to pay 70% of the cost of petrol.
Old 3rd December 2007, 23:17   #4
BHPian

I too agree on this.

I did recommend to others to convert to LPG since I too have a Palio GTX running on LPG but today the price of LPG which follows the international market rate on a weekly basis has risen to 31.82 in Cochin. Since Petrol is artificially kept below the international market rate I too would dissuade anyone going in for a new LPG kit as its difficult to make up the cost of the new kit at these rates. I am very sure that Petrol prices are going up by about Rs5 and diesel by Rs3 or else very soon our oil companies will have to shut shop. Sonia Ghandi has to bow to the inevitable.
Bye and wear your seat belts.
Old 3rd December 2007, 23:52   #5
Senior - BHPian

This was the same thing that I was thinking yesterday when I filled the tank. It was Rs 25 about 45 days ago and started to climb. Our breakeven period for the kit gets delayed. No more conversion to LPG, Diesel is my next option.
Old 4th December 2007, 00:03   #6
Senior - BHPian

Hold on a sec. All that talk is good. versus petrol, maybe yes. versus diesel, how would it matter - if i recall right.
petrol + lpg = runing cost as well as initial cost of diesel. so it shouldnt be tooo different. or is it? how about some numbers?

Last edited by phamilyman : 4th December 2007 at 00:04.
Old 4th December 2007, 02:52   #7
Senior - BHPian

Correct, it still has an advantage against petrol because the kits are cheaper and more importantly they are better meaning not much drop in power at all.

But diesel is looking a like a much better alternative now.
Old 4th December 2007, 03:18   #8
BANNED

Never did support the LPG conversions earlier nor will, I think.

Last edited by speedzak : 4th December 2007 at 03:20.
Old 4th December 2007, 06:48   #9
BHPian

I had a Santro running on LPG and now a Indica running on diesel. I must say that LPG was really good and even at Rs. 28/ltr, I felt it was worth it. My biggest worry was the tuning. TO get good fuel efficiency, the tuning had to be so perfect that i never got it right (or i never got a good tuner).

Economy wise, i feel diesel is cheaper (is around Rs. 2.40/km on diesel now versus about Rs. 3/km a year ago on LPG). But again, you pay a premium for the diesel engine anyway. Considering the price of a petrol + LPG kit is still less than the same car in its diesel avatar, it still seems viable. But what according to me tilts the favour towards diesel is the service part of it (if you get the right tuner for LPG - you are saved).
Old 4th December 2007, 06:58   #10
Senior - BHPian

Diesel would be a better option in the current scenario. For me, I have never ever fancied having a lpg cylinder in my trunk anyday. So, it doesnt make any difference to me now.
Old 4th December 2007, 07:08   #11
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
But diesel is looking a like a much better alternative now.

Advantages seem almost same now, and in the case of diesel, there is also not much of a safety risk.
Old 4th December 2007, 07:49   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
phamilyman : petrol + lpg = runing cost as well as initial cost of diesel. so it shouldnt be tooo different. or is it? how about some numbers?
You missed the better resale value a diesel has.
Old 4th December 2007, 08:37   #13
Senior - BHPian

at this rate converting to lpg is a sin considering it gives about 80% mileage of petrol and occupies boot space, regular frequent change of spark plugs and air filter. include petrol injector cost every two years.
govt should encourage lpg more than petrol for the sake of environment.
god save the world.
Old 4th December 2007, 10:34   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigy View Post
at this rate converting to lpg is a sin considering it gives about 80% mileage of petrol and occupies boot space, regular frequent change of spark plugs and air filter. include petrol injector cost every two years.
govt should encourage lpg more than petrol for the sake of environment.
god save the world.
Why do I get the feeling that either you got a lemon of a kit, or are just plain talking out of thin air? If alternative fuel was that bad, so many companies wouldn't be selling it. Or maybe your mental blinkers are on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post

Advantages seem almost same now, and in the case of diesel, there is also not much of a safety risk.
Maybe for the uninformed who get a bad kit installed. Most good quality kits are as unsafe as petrol (read as flammable). that is just a urban legend. Comparatively CNG is safer, but these fuels arent inherently unsafe. Just different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
You missed the better resale value a diesel has.
Again, I don't *reaaalllly buy that*. Numbers? In delhi, old cars with CNG aren't exactly shunned - we sold our m800 '97 with six year old CNG kit last year. But I wouldn't be willing to wager *either* way.

Agree completely on the economy for highway warriors and convenience of boot all the same. Its these two reasons which may just convince me of diesel, though otherwise CNG family we are
Old 4th December 2007, 10:54   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Why do I get the feeling that either you got a lemon of a kit, or are just plain talking out of thin air? If alternative fuel was that bad, so many companies wouldn't be selling it. Or maybe your mental blinkers are on.

Maybe for the uninformed who get a bad kit installed. Most good quality kits are as unsafe as petrol (read as flammable). that is just a urban legend. Comparatively CNG is safer, but these fuels arent inherently unsafe. Just different.

Again, I don't *reaaalllly buy that*. Numbers? In delhi, old cars with CNG aren't exactly shunned - we sold our m800 '97 with six year old CNG kit last year. But I wouldn't be willing to wager *either* way.

Agree completely on the economy for highway warriors and convenience of boot all the same. Its these two reasons which may just convince me of diesel, though otherwise CNG family we are

really true... i hope people will start filling cookin gas soon... this tends to be and dont have any choice left

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks