Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th February 2008, 14:57   #16
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushrutha View Post
Nopes nothing of the above have worked on my Honda city windsheild. Mine was totally filled with watermarks in all my windows n winsheild.
Best solution, But for this one has to suffer the arm pain for a week or so,
Get a soft rubbing compound(Motomax) , apply it on the winsheild, take a soft cloth and keep on rubbing it against winsheild with a bit of force.Keep continuing the rubbing in circles, Once the rubbing becomes a bit hard water marks tends to disapper, then the glass tends to become clear.
I'm sure 100% this will workout but one needs to put in a lot of effort for this.
Now all my glass looks as new, but to cleanup all I took almost 1 week(each glass a day)
wont this cause swirl marks? those irritating spider web thingies that land on your vision when lights dazzle at night...

I suggest lemon and vinegar over rubbing compound, much safer. I had the same problem after last spell of monsoon/rain but slowly marks are fading off without any special attention (i wash my car only once a week, hence slow process)
Old 6th February 2008, 15:43   #17
Senior - BHPian

If your cloth is not soft enough and you have resident dust on the windshield you will definitely get swirl marks if you keeping rubbing it hard. Use a top down swipe and then start from the top again. Do not do up and down or circular. Also change the cloth side regularly and dip it in water and squeeze dry. Better to use chamois or banian cloth.

Lemon/Vinegar is a nice choice. Should work.

Jaggu, surprising rain water left marks ! Rain is supposed to be soft water. Probably its all the pollution in the air. Or water bouncing off walls/terraces/sunroofs !! :-)

Actually nothing cleans a car better than good hard rain.
Old 6th February 2008, 17:27   #18
Team-BHP Support

Yeah its a combination of rain with atmospheric and road pollution along with terrace spray et all BUT the big contribution was ME. I didnt bother to wipe (except for using windshield wiper) and went for the muddy messed up look
Old 6th February 2008, 17:39   #19
BHPian

Tried lemon and left it for 2 minutes and then washed it with water but couldn't feel the change, Pls let me know if the lemon needs to be put for some more time before washing off?
Old 6th February 2008, 18:07   #20
BHPian

The windshield experts offer something called chemical cleaning, heard its Rs 900 or so. A friend of mine had a lot of water marks and then gave it to Southern Motors on St'Marks road and they charged him about Rs 700, but the glass was fantastic after that.

Another cause of not proper wiping is the horrible Bosch wipers which have a soft silicon coating which is a real pain especially when it rains hard and you are using the wiper constantly then you get a mist that forms with each swipe of the wiper. Had this problem on my Indica, Accent & Octy too.

Would advise chemical cleaning for the windscreen. Had seen it on WE site sometime back.

Need to get my windscreens done next week. Will keep you guys posted on this.
Old 7th February 2008, 10:51   #21
BHPian

Just now contacted Windshield Experts, they said they don't provide any sort of cleaning services. They are only offering replacemene or repair of chipped glass. Has anyone got this kind of service from any other outlet. Or please let me know the best cleaning solutions which can be used for this?
Old 7th February 2008, 11:15   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
wont this cause swirl marks? those irritating spider web thingies that land on your vision when lights dazzle at night...

)
Jaggu,
I don't have any swirl marks on my windscreen. That's why I have mentioned to use SOFT rubbing compound
Old 7th February 2008, 11:32   #23
BHPian

lemon with salt is what i have heard from elders....
put some salt on lemon..and then slowly rub over the patch.

Regards,
Old 7th February 2008, 11:38   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That's why I have mentioned to use SOFT rubbing compound
If it is 'hard water' residues/marks that we are talking about, then the way I see it is: rubbing compound will remove these with ABRASIVE action, whereas a solvent will DISSOLVE these without any abrasive action.
For hard water scale, Harpic Liquid works splendidly, specially on glass and bathroom chromium-plated fittings etc..
Old 7th February 2008, 12:45   #25
BHPian

Has anyone used Harpic for windsheild? Pls let me know the results for the same.
Old 7th February 2008, 13:07   #26
BHPian

For just a few stains -- u can use a mild abrasive like the rubbing compound suggested or even try toothpaste -- its a mild abrasive and I've used it occasionally to remove marks.
Old 7th February 2008, 13:18   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabhkum View Post
Has anyone used Harpic for windsheild? Pls let me know the results for the same.
I had used easy of bang for the salt water marks. It(water marks) didn't go.
Old 7th February 2008, 16:40   #28
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I had used easy of bang for the salt water marks. It(water marks) didn't go.
That product is a waste! The ads are over hyped, and the actual product is of no good. Just a waste of money 'Easy Off Bang' is !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prithvi View Post
Another cause of not proper wiping is the horrible Bosch wipers which have a soft silicon coating which is a real pain especially when it rains hard and you are using the wiper constantly then you get a mist that forms with each swipe of the wiper. Had this problem on my Indica, Accent & Octy too.
And i had the impression from many on the forum that Bosch wipers were the best?!
Old 7th February 2008, 16:43   #29
Senior - BHPian

How about 3M windscreen washer? Heard its a good product.
Old 7th February 2008, 16:49   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
That product is a waste! The ads are over hyped, and the actual product is of no good. Just a waste of money 'Easy Off Bang' is !

And i had the impression from many on the forum that Bosch wipers were the best?!

Even I had that impression, was sadly mistaken after installing them.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks