Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th April 2014, 15:45   #121

Re: Help With Water Marks on Windshield

Thank you very much to all of you for kind suggestions. Once i went to 3m Car care for this issue and they told me to apply some wind shield polish and i did the same but for few days it worked good after that it became very worse to drive in rainy Days.
Old 12th April 2014, 21:33   #122

Hurry ....Today i have applied Green lemon and it worked well but some marks are left. May be again i have tried ....
Old 13th April 2014, 13:14   #123
Senior - BHPian

get some professional cleaner from websites such as http://www.optimumcarcareindia.com, detailedclean.in greenzcarcare etc. It might be costly. But worth it. May be you can share cost with friends. But whatever you do, make sure you leave a micro coating such as rain-x for protection. Else spots reappear in no time. Both would be costly. I have applied rain-x. Spots removal was done using liquid polish (moto max) from SPAR. prepare to spend some time removing the spots. Do it day time so you can see spots clearly. But after you leave coat of rain-x, daily cleaning is easy peasy. Spray some quick detailer (you can mix some ONR with distilled water) and use microfiber daily cleaning. As of now my first rain-x is lasting for some months now. moreover i don't have daily wash regime. So my coating lasts longer.

Last edited by kutlee : 13th April 2014 at 13:15.
Old 25th May 2015, 15:28   #124
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrowaby View Post
I have water stains not only on my wind-shield but also on the car body.
The water that comes in my building is perhaps hard-water. The guy uses the same water to wash my car. Now the roof of the car has got ridiculous amount of stains. Too many. How do I get rid of the stains on the car body?
While refraining from promoting any specific brand, here is what worked very well for me - dab Amway Car Wash liquid undiluted on moist surface, leave it for a few minutes, scrub it gently with 3M microfiber cloth or a gentle toothbrush (the ones for little kids or Sensodyne soft) and wash it with soft water. I tried this on hard water marks accumulated on body, beneath the hood and front grill, they disappeared. I hope this helps.
Old 6th October 2015, 14:22   #125
BHPian

Hello All, I am facing a peculiar problem with my car windshield . Last week my car was bathing every day in kitchen water as the plumbing pipe above my car had cracked
I was prompt in ensuring the stains do not dry and hence the glass looks clean and spanking when seen with normal eyes and also while driving there is no problem, however, the problem occurs at night, during rains & while facing head light of cars. I can see stains/water marks on windshield at that time and defogger or anything doesn't help.
Any suggestions how to tackle this as it becomes difficult to drive at night
Old 1st December 2015, 18:15   #126
BHPian

Do not know if this is the right place to put in my query, or if this has been answered before.

The last rainy season, the car was parked in my wife's office basement parking. Some parts of the building are still under construction. So, this particular day it was raining, and some water (supposedly-as told by my wife) seeped through the gaps/expansion joints on the roof of the basement, and fell on the windshield. I am assuming this was water that was mixed with the white cement/whitewash/powder like substance that you usually find on floors of under construction buildings.

This has left a stain on my windshield - I tried cleaning with soap water, but no luck. With the winters & fog setting in, I feel this might lead to a visibility problem.

Will the lime/vinegar solution work on it? The stain looks like it has faded that part of the windshield, turning it slightly milky & translucent.
Old 2nd December 2015, 16:08   #127
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinner666 View Post
I tried cleaning with soap water, but no luck. With the winters & fog setting in, I feel this might lead to a visibility problem.

Will the lime/vinegar solution work on it? The stain looks like it has faded that part of the windshield, turning it slightly milky & translucent.
You have already crossed the first troubleshooting step. Vinegar should work in this case, but you need to dilute it in strengths of 1 vinegar : 10 water (10% strength). Try not to get it on paint by covering it with newpaper or plastic cover. Use old tooth brush to slowly wipe it away, else use spray bottle to cover the area and soak for a minute or two.

Pic of the issue might help us get a grip on this.

I am guessing, it must be white cement or worse (real pain). Just check if vinegar works, else we might have to go for stronger chemical.
Old 9th September 2017, 12:29   #128
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinner666 View Post
Do not know if this is the right place to put in my query, or if this has been answered before.

The last rainy season, the car was parked in my wife's office basement parking. Some parts of the building are still under construction. So, this particular day it was raining, and some water (supposedly-as told by my wife) seeped through the gaps/expansion joints on the roof of the basement, and fell on the windshield. I am assuming this was water that was mixed with the white cement/whitewash/powder like substance that you usually find on floors of under construction buildings.

This has left a stain on my windshield - I tried cleaning with soap water, but no luck. With the winters & fog setting in, I feel this might lead to a visibility problem.

Sorry for bumping the old thread, but I have the exact same problem. Did you manage to get the stains off?
Old 28th September 2019, 14:31   #129
BHPian

I have a lot of hard water spots all over the glasses on my car and the dealer quoted more than 15,000Rs to fix it. I however saw few good reviews online about 3M 1 Step Finish Compound and decided to buy one and try and it worked. I just rubbed at a spot with and microfiber cloth and the 3m compound and I could hear the difference, when i started rubbing there was this scratching kindof noise cause the water spots where so intense but in like 30 seconds of rubbing it was gone and and after a quick buff I found a super clean windshield. I will do the rest of the car with a drill attachment and I'm sure it will be much more effective. So to all who are searching for a solution, buy a 3M 1step Finish Compound costs 160Rs on Amazon and works like a charm.

Last edited by Sam_GTR : 28th September 2019 at 14:32.
Sam_GTR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2022, 22:34   #130
BHPian

My car was parked near sprinklers a few days ago and now the windshield and even passenger and rear windows have hard water spots.

I tried cleaning multiple times with Colin and 1200 gsm microfiber cloth, gone to some extent but not fully gone.

Spoke to 3M, 2250 for windshield only, 6150 for all glasses of the car.

I read up online on rubbing solutions on Amazon and many in their reviews had written that it ends up leaving micro scratches and they are then irreversible.

Now i asked 3M guys about micro scratches, they said it happens when people so rubbing/buffing on glass, but they are going to do polishing and in that case there must not be any micro scratches.
So polishing apparently is the way to go on glass as per 3M guy, does this sound genuine?

Any thoughts?
Old 19th December 2022, 00:50   #131
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceTraveller View Post
My car was parked near sprinklers a few days ago and now the windshield and even passenger and rear windows have hard water spots.
You need a mild acid. I read on a thread that lemons give fabulous results. Search for it and you will be through.

You can also use vinegar or even Harpic (mentioned on this thread itself), if you are careful not to expose it to paint.
Old 3rd April 2023, 01:06   #132
BHPian

I have (had) a serious problem with water marks on my Thar and Brio since they were mostly exposed to lawn sprinklers. The situation was so bad that driving on a rainy night in the Brio was a nightmare.

Multiple research and I narrowed down on Chemical Guys Heavy Duty Water Spot remover. I was in the US last week and bought it for $20. Amazon India retails it for 4200/- so it was a bargain.

The first thing upon landing today morning was to trial it out on the Thar. My family was like

But the end result was so great that I was the one grinning wide. Will let the pictures speak.

Before:
Help With Water Marks on Windshield-pxl_20230402_163955071.jpg

After:
Help With Water Marks on Windshield-pxl_20230402_170309380.jpg
kutts is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th September 2023, 11:59   #133
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kutts View Post
I have (had) a serious problem with water marks on my Thar and Brio since they were mostly exposed to lawn sprinklers. The situation was so bad that driving on a rainy night in the Brio was a nightmare.

Multiple research and I narrowed down on Chemical Guys Heavy Duty Water Spot remover. I was in the US last week and bought it for $20. Amazon India retails it for 4200/- so it was a bargain.
Just use one of these instead next time : https://www.amazon.in/Koch-Chemie-De...s%2C233&sr=8-1

It retails here for the same price as abroad and is rated higher than Chemical guys internationally. It also works as a quick detailer. Just spray it on and use a MF towel to spread it around. Wait a min and then use another clean MF towel to wipe it off.

Do note that any kind of waterspot removal chemicals can slowly degrade ceramic coatings so use it sparingly.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks